Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think a huge problem for me with the game is encounter design generally.

You're outnumbered in almost every encounter and a massive number of fights involve you watching mook #7 of 20 walk around waiting for your turn.

A huge amount of this seems to be Larian feeling like the game needs to be difficult and needing to tilt action economy in favour of your opponents.

I'm not sure why a) That difficulty is actually needed or what it adds given that they failed to avoid the xcom difficulty curve.

b) If you want to tilt action economy you don't let bosses just have legendary actions rather than a billion mooks.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think that framing brain worms as a combat boost primarily was the issue for me.

When I saw the powers available I basically decided I didn't need them because if I lose a combat I just reload the game, whereas if these things gently caress my ending I'm owned at the end of a 90 hour playthrough.

I think if these had been framed as impacting available dialogue choices more frequently and also increasing the impact of those choices, the temptation would have been greater.

Further, framing the temptation not as "You must become illithid to become more powerful" and instead as "I think I can coopt the tadpole," would also have been more effective.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Orpheus became Illithid on my word. Got me to the brain and then got stabbed a billion times so I could become the Absolute.

Genius that one.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I think a relatively easy bake in would be the worms giving you skill proficiencies / expertise potentially?

Like I'm probably not worming myself up for combat powers I'll never use but to get persuasion expertise or sleight of hand expertise so I can bypass needing rogues? Sure.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Not really? Like the Emperor's actions frequently don't really fit the motivation he's stated to have.

Like why does he throw in with the netherbrain if you disagree with him when he's stated frequently that he values freedom? How does any of that gel with anything you learn of his past?

And yeah, a logical question is, if the guy is Balduran, why the hell does he not show up in that form?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

BrianWilly posted:

Why would someone like Lae'zel or Astarion give a poo poo about Balduran

If you saved the city, there should be a very short post-credit scene with Withers. Any ending with anyone becoming the Absolute has no post-credit scene afaik

Because he's a massive celebrity? I mean more recognisable than, uhh, the hot girl I made in character creator.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Mr. Lobe posted:

Laezel doesn't know what a cat is

Or how to say Faerun

Honestly that would also work really well because he'd show up as Balduran, be like, "I'm kind of a big deal" and Lae'zel would look at him blankly. Perfect.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Like, the calculus that suggests this action is:

If Orpheus is freed I am definitely dead vs. I am a slave to the Netherbrain forever.

Which ignores y'know, the player character doing poo poo like persuading the avatar of Myrkuul to kill himself or any sort of diplomacy possible.

And it also kinda ignores that we've spent the entire game building rapport with each other. The emperor spends the entire game yelling at you "Trust me" and when the shoe's on the other foot and you ask him to trust you, he decides that he wants to gently caress off and lose everything he values?

If Orpheus shows up and is an rear end in a top hat then why the gently caress does he expect that the player, who has worked with him for the entire game, won't tell Orpheus to go shove it?

If Orpheus is freed, why is it completely impossible that the player wouldn't be able to broker some kind of deal?

It's both ignorant of the capabilities of the player and also completely ignorant of like, even the most basic concept of what friendship means.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

SirSamVimes posted:

He's a mind flayer.

Yeah he's meant to be a super genius and can't seem to figure out that people act based on incentives.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Eimi posted:

Give me an expansion that's basically just Stardew Valley but in Faerun where I build a little house for Shadowheart and we solve like domestic plots and get gay married.

Give me an expansion that's basically Dungeon Keeper but in Faerun where I command my army of Illithids and other various monsters and try to take over the world.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Right even if you think Jaheira's reaction is fine, the path as a result is super loving weird and disjointed which I think is a fair complaint.

Similarly for me, in Act 3 every single character in the counting house aggroed onto me on sight. I have no idea what I did to cause this and was never able to fix it, so I had to use mass invisibility to get to Minsk without killing everyone there.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The game was like, maddeningly stupid and unfair during the underdark because I hadn't hit level 5 yet and then completely trivial from level 5 and twin spell haste onwards.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Act 3 is very much the game I want but huge portions of the prior plot are off the rails at that point and there's just very little reactivity in the ending at all.

I just didn't vibe with Act 1 very much at all. The goblins just being relentlessly evil because of no good reason other than that they're assholes was a huge downer for me. And also that there's no solution to goblins vs. grove that doesn't involve one side being slaughtered.

Act 3 let me ally with Gortash which was awesome, unfortunately it didn't mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Idk I thought the goblins acted pretty goblin-like. They were stupid and violent cause they're goblins.

I also didn't think they were extravagantly evil. They wanted to sack and raid stuff and were allying with what seemed to be the strongest group around to increase their chances of success. Other than that they just wanted to hang out and party. Pretty relatable and human, I thought.

I ended up killing off most of the goblin camp and feeling pretty bad about it once the gith and some others talked about my genocidal accomplishments.

Like I don't question that they're acting like every goblin in every videogame ever, it's just that that portrayal is utterly boring to me.

I just don't really find the choice between eating children on one hand and, well, not, to be particularly compelling.