Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

https://twitter.com/rafaelshimunov/status/1695193124316819839

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2021-12-15/organized-retail-theft-crime-rate

holy poo poo! wowee! oh my god! I am shocked! /s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

hmm interesting

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

sounds like a skill issue op

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
If you’re not stealing from the self-checkout, are you really shopping?

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
Every item is BOGO at the self-checkout, if you’re talented enough.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

shoplifting market isn't saturated yet lets all go shoplift

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

obviously, there aren't many people strong enough to lift a shop :v:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

MoonshineWilly posted:

one time when i was at the store they had to close the self checkouts for a bit cause some kid pissed all over the floor

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
? There was a flash mob robbery at the Americana the other week?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7.com/amp/glendale-americana-at-brand-brazen-burglary-robbery/13621756/

My roommate works at a store there and has been bitching about how the police won't show up for under $1k in theft for a while now. They get robbed all the drat time and Americana/Galleria is froufrou tourist as gently caress.

She doesn't give a poo poo about the loss, but it's scary to witness robberies.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Peggy Edson posted:

hmm interesting

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i knew someone who stole a bunch of poo poo from compusa back in the day

and now they are out of business? coincidence???

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i knew someone who stole a bunch of poo poo from compusa back in the day

and now they are out of business? coincidence???

Maybe stealing from CompUSA wasn't such a sound business strategy.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Only a fascist organization would do such a thing.

:acab:

Who's policing the police?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

MoonshineWilly posted:

Every item is BOGO at the self-checkout, if you’re talented enough.

Every steak is actually just bananas.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's true there's not nearly enough shoplifting in the world

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i worked at a high end fashion shop in college, and the amount of poo poo that was lost due to inventory mismanagement was much, much higher than the amount lost to shoplifting.

i don't know why this sticks with me, but we stocked a polo shirt that was priced at $350. in 2004!!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Peggy Edson posted:

hmm interesting

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
i used to work in a store and no one ever stole not even once in fact people brought us extra stuff

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

i used to work in a store and no one ever stole not even once in fact people brought us extra stuff

You should get checked for early-onset dementia, I believe you had a false memory of working at a store when you actually were volunteering at the food bank.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

MoonshineWilly posted:

I've stealen many a candy at the DolGen checkout counter before >:3

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Cutting steaks at work and packaging a few as "hamburger 80/20" to take home was always good and cool

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

honestly if youre working poo poo retail for a poo poo megacorp and you're not occasionally pilfering poo poo, idk what to tell you

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MoonshineWilly posted:

gently caress, I've stolen from the self-checkout on accident

Earlier this year I was doing a bit of home improvement for my mom, and got a tube of special masonry epoxy from home depot. The poo poo didn't work. It was expired or something and had zero work time, it was hard practically by the time it got dispensed from the special mixing nozzle.

I was pissed because it was expensive. While debating whether it was worth taking back to the store and standing at customer service to get a refund, I went and got the receipt to see exactly how much it cost. It wasn't on the receipt. I have no idea how that happened, because I was with my mom when we bought it so I certainly wasn't gonna shoplift for funsies.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
As a child I accidentally took some gum from a grocery store without paying for it. Now, 30 years later, it doesn't exist anymore. Its heart breaking how much shoplifting can cost people jobs.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

when i first got my cat i was so excited to get her new things and get settled. i got her food dishes, food, litter box, litter, toys, a collar...and a multi-tiered scratching post. i was out the door before i realized i didn't scan the scratching post. saved myself 80 bux

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
And did the cat even appreciate it?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I couple times a year I walk out with like three or four 12 packs on the bottom of my shopping cart, without really trying. I always arrange my 12 packs so that bar code is facing up so the cashier can quickly come around with the hand scanner and get 'em all. So when I pull in to the aisle I tell the cashier, "I have some 12 packs on the bottom that need to be scanned." Usually no problem. But sometimes they forget, and I feel like by telling them I completed my obligation to the checkout process and if they failed to scan them, whelp, not my problem. Free drinks for the week.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i stole a bar of chocolate at self scan once. i didn't even need it and i had plenty of money at the time. i did it just because i'm sick & twizted like that :unsmigghh:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I couple times a year I walk out with like three or four 12 packs on the bottom of my shopping cart, without really trying. I always arrange my 12 packs so that bar code is facing up so the cashier can quickly come around with the hand scanner and get 'em all. So when I pull in to the aisle I tell the cashier, "I have some 12 packs on the bottom that need to be scanned." Usually no problem. But sometimes they forget, and I feel like by telling them I completed my obligation to the checkout process and if they failed to scan them, whelp, not my problem. Free drinks for the week.

I am reporting this post to FBI.gov

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i stole a bar of chocolate at self scan once. i didn't even need it and i had plenty of money at the time. i did it just because i'm sick & twizted like that :unsmigghh:

This one too

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

more like the san franciswoke times. believe police officers. believe the numbers. i read on X company's lose $1 million to theft every. single. decade... chew on that you bleeding hearts

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Smugworth posted:

I am reporting this post to FBI.gov

This one too

the fbi have no jurisdiction where i live you'll never stop me i'm basically the joker irl

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The only thing I steal is hearts op :wink:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
A chinese guy I know uses the same word for crisis and opportunity. He's insane.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pre-pandemic, coworker and I were at Home Depot at the checkout line paying for our stuff when we hear a couple of employees yelling at someone. That someone was a shoplifter who had a flat cart full of 16 five gallon buckets of roofing tar and white sealant with several rolls of underlayment paper on top. He just casually strolled out the front without paying where we were at as the employees yelled, “WE’RE CALLING THE COPS!” at him as he disappeared into the parking lot.

We paid and immediately went outside to see where he went, but he disappeared cart and all. We deduced that he must have had an accomplice waiting outside in a box van, and the shoplifter just rolled the entire cart up into the box van and they split.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

instead of shoplifting what I like to do is wait until I have a really massive poo poo brewing inside me, my shits are also insanely rock hard because I abuse opiates, and just unload that motherfucker in their bathroom and not flush, I doubt they can even get rid of them with a plunger, they probably have to like pick it up and throw it away

gently caress capitalism

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

pencilhands posted:

instead of shoplifting what I like to do is wait until I have a really massive poo poo brewing inside me, my shits are also insanely rock hard because I abuse opiates, and just unload that motherfucker in their bathroom and not flush, I doubt they can even get rid of them with a plunger, they probably have to like pick it up and throw it away

gently caress capitalism

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

pencilhands posted:

gently caress capitalism
cool

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pencilhands posted:

gently caress capitalism

shoplifting hurts the corporation by stealing their profits. doing gross poo poo in the bathroom just hurts the janitors, who are probably also broke and perhaps abusing opiates as well to escape from the crushing grind of capitalism. you're a piece of poo poo pencilhands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

drat, penilhands just steppin on rakes everywhere