Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
abortionist is a pretty loaded term and I don't know how anti isn't political :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I stole probably $30k worth of gamma cooked tyvek coveralls, hoods/masks, boot covers, cuff tape and latex gloves from the drug plant I worked at.

Stuff is great for painting your house and poo poo

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
the spell check has gone woke, repeat, gone woke

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
cant believe my browser recognizes the apartheid state of isreal

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Private Cumshoe posted:

abortionist is a pretty loaded term and I don't know how anti isn't political :shrug:

are you

are you under the impression that spellcheck dictionaries are supposed to avoid political topics?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Sometimes the condoms are behind locked displays but the lube isnt

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Coolguye posted:

are you

are you under the impression that spellcheck dictionaries are supposed to avoid political topics?

they aren't supposed to "correct" a legitimate word and suggest replacing it with a non-synonym, i think op is suggesting there is a political motive behind that. i think?

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

kntfkr posted:

i work for a company that is a vendor to hobby lobby. you gotta put price tags on everything cuz UPCs could hide the secret mark of the beast 666!!! loving puritan losers

Sorry to :spergin: but I work in logistics and I'm curious about this. I know hobby lobby refuses to use barcodes for checkout, do they also refuse to use them for their back-end logistics? That stuff would be hell without barcodes, maybe you could wrangle something with manual entry but maybe check digits are also haram.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Do you suspect there's an appreciable spike in shoplifting following the release of a Bethesda game?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I been caught stealing, once, when I was five.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Earwicker posted:

they aren't supposed to "correct" a legitimate word and suggest replacing it with a non-synonym, i think op is suggesting there is a political motive behind that. i think?

They suggest whatever replacement is closest in spelling, with a few simple rules to judge the most likely candidate. Spellchecks don't have dictionary definitions of words and will happily suggest something with the opposite meaning if it happens to be spelled similarly.

So the spellcheck dictionary didn't contain "abortifacient" (a medical word not in common use) and the only thing in the list that was close was "antiabortionist". Mostly due to similar length.

Spellcheck dictionaries in web browsers especially are pretty terrible in terms of how comprehensive they are. I have some real stupid examples in my "add to dictionary" list:
uncorrectable
militaries
unsurprised
replicable
parasitize
snuck

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Klyith posted:

uncorrectable

technically it should probably be incorrectable but tbh this sounds better imo

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

it’s true spellcheck is fash check out its laces.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

technically it should probably be incorrectable but tbh this sounds better imo

uncorrect

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Since we're all confessing/admitting to criminal acts, I shoplifted a few CDs, because I wanted to get with this girl, and she was friends with the girl I was with, and they started shoplifting at The Mall.
So when I hung out with them a few times I, too, stole a CD or more from Record Town at The Mall.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I tried to pocket a metal nut rather than get it rung up like an rear end in a top hat and a gf scolded me into paying for it. We were already buying a bunch of stuff. I just needed the 1. Dunno, I don't usually steal, but something in me just wanted to swipe it.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

redshirt posted:

Since we're all confessing/admitting to criminal acts, I shoplifted a few CDs, because I wanted to get with this girl, and she was friends with the girl I was with, and they started shoplifting at The Mall.
So when I hung out with them a few times I, too, stole a CD or more from Record Town at The Mall.

In CD stores when I was a kid, the CD case on the shelf was empty. You had to purchase it at the counter and then they would put the CD in. Was that not the case for you?

Maybe this was an Aussie thing?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

In CD stores when I was a kid, the CD case on the shelf was empty. You had to purchase it at the counter and then they would put the CD in. Was that not the case for you?

Nope. The CD was there in the case, but the case had an overlarge plastic frame. That was the challenge.

At least not at The Maine Mall.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Shoplifting is more about the clout than the need for the thing you're lifting, at least from a teenagers at the mall perspective. So even if the CD cases were empty, you could still put the liner notes up on your victory board in your room to impress your friends.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

redshirt posted:

Nope. The CD was there in the case, but the case had an overlarge plastic frame. That was the challenge.

At least not at The Maine Mall.

Yeah but you have to make sure they put the blue "Wall" sticker on it or else no lifetime replacements for you buddy

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

A Strange Aeon posted:

Shoplifting is more about the clout than the need for the thing you're lifting, at least from a teenagers at the mall perspective. So even if the CD cases were empty, you could still put the liner notes up on your victory board in your room to impress your friends.

Rich kid spotted

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chewbecca posted:

there were some stores like that in the US. it varied

at my local tower records the rock and rap cd's were all encased in these big plastic shells that had to be unlocked by an employee at the counter. but the classical music, which was in a seperate room, was not. who would shoplift classical music? my friend kevin is who, dude stole at least a few hundred bucks worth of mozart box sets when we were 16. he went on to become a professional timpanist so i guess he at least put it to good use

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Private Cumshoe posted:

Also a great name for a slammy tech-death band. I'm gonna go ahead and call dibs if nobody else wants it.

Edit: gently caress.

Edit 2: more melodeath than tech, but they actually slap pretty hard.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 2, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Earwicker posted:

there were some stores like that in the US. it varied

at my local tower records the rock and rap cd's were all encased in these big plastic shells that had to be unlocked by an employee at the counter. but the classical music, which was in a seperate room, was not. who would shoplift classical music? my friend kevin is who, dude stole at least a few hundred bucks worth of mozart box sets when we were 16. he went on to become a professional timpanist so i guess he at least put it to good use

sick! taking a mercenary approach to your creative passions is legitimately commendable. his friends shouldnt snitch to the internet in the snitch thread tho :nono:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

:ssh: his name is not actually kevin

also pretty sure tower records has not existed in a couple of decades (for unrelated reasons) i dont think anyone is missing the mozart

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Earwicker posted:

:ssh: his name is not actually kevin

also pretty sure tower records has not existed in a couple of decades (for unrelated reasons) i dont think anyone is missing the mozart

Somewhere out there a detective jolts out of a whiskey induced slumber, remembering that Mozart cold case from 1996.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
My wife went shopping this past week at Ross - a guy loaded up a full laundry basket with stuff and just walked out with it, threw it in the back of a waiting truck and all that security could do is loudly ask them to stop. They said it happens at least once a day now.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

sticksy posted:

My wife went shopping this past week at Ross - a guy loaded up a full laundry basket with stuff and just walked out with it, threw it in the back of a waiting truck and all that security could do is loudly ask them to stop. They said it happens at least once a day now.

The really brazen ones are kinda funny. This one happened near me recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUX6oi8_rYQ

The employee who filmed them and removed the tin foil over the license plate was subsequently fired for "intervening"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The only times I've ever shoplifted anything were on accident. Like, a cashier not ringing something up or me not having enough hands and sticking something in my pocket intending to pay for it, then forgetting about it until it's too late.