Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

git apologist posted:

he would be too busy telling everyone how much of an atheist he is

That's Penn you clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Saalkin posted:

That's Penn you clown

no, he definitely meant Teller. Penn would be too busy penning how much of an atheist he is.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Bad Purchase posted:

no, he definitely meant Teller. Penn would be too busy penning how much of an atheist he is.

Teller is mute because Penn cut out his tongue when he said now much he loved God

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

saalkin saayin that penn tells and teller pens? no, that wouldn’t make any sense.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Mach 7 Razor Blades just keep magically ending up in my pockets.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
A guy I occasionally chat to on discord mentioned a that the UK retailer he worked for had inventory stolen all the time or never even arrive.

The biggest scam however was the abuse of a till's "store transaction" system. It was nominally for someone who left their wallet in the car or had to get an extra bit of money out the ATM. But you were still given a printout that looked like receipt, but wasn't an actual receipt. So if you were in with the tiller, you could do your shopping for free and walk out with a pseudo-receipt that would fool all but the most anal security guard.
It went on for years and was only caught because four tills had ramped it up to the tune of ~£15k worth of goods a week being redistributed, each. Couldn't be fully audited because the tech at the time only kept like 2 weeks of till memory.

He also mentioned poo poo like the company making a generic barcode for vouchers that would be photocopied and accepted without complaint, because all vouchers had the same barcode. Also because of this, the tiller could add a multiplier to them at the till, even if the purchaser only had one. Also employees managing to get millions of store points for themselves, can't recall how that happened exactly. It's a wonder they're still in business loving up at that level.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

of all the celebs likely to secretly be a goon i always thought penn jillette was a prime suspect

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

redshirt posted:

Mach 7 Razor Blades just keep magically ending up in my pockets.

price of those things would make that felony theft lmao am i right? :imunfunny:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

School Nickname posted:

It's a wonder they're still in business loving up at that level.

not really a wonder when the store charges $6 for a bag of tostitos that cost about 50 cents to make and transport

can absorb a lot of theft with retail markups

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bad Purchase posted:

not really a wonder when the store charges $6 for a bag of tostitos that cost about 50 cents to make and transport

can absorb a lot of theft with retail markups

Those chips better be refrigerated to ice cold for that kind of money.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Earwicker posted:

of all the celebs likely to secretly be a goon i always thought penn jillette was a prime suspect

My cousin went to highschool with him, I've even seen the year book photo. She says he was extremely annoying, always trying to be the class clown.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tostitos are for suckers, if you're not making your own tortilla chips (You should, it's cheap and easy) then just buy the cheapest poo poo you can find. Go to Food City and buy a bag of Santitas or even Calidads for a dollar or two.

Nov 6, 2002

Make my own chips? I ain't got time for that poo poo, I gotta steal stuff.

The best commercial tortilla chips are Mi Niña or Xochitl by a wide margin.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

PinheadSlim posted:

If anyone actually believes the 95 billion number that would mean the average American stole over 300 dollars worth of goods per person every year.

Lol at the dumbest people in the world believing this.

Thefts Georg, who lives in a Walmart distribution center and steals over 10,000 TVs each day, is an outlier and should not have been counted

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Shoplifting is so 2021. I’m all about shopdropping now, where I stock the shelf items with my own money.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Toxic Mental posted:

Shoplifting is so 2021. I’m all about shopdropping now, where I stock the shelf items with my own money.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

you like to steal an extra lick of the boot

jimmy mnemonic
Jan 9, 2007

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

There was an interesting movie sort of about this called Emily the Thief. I guess it's more credit card fraud than shoplifting but there is a lot of similarities when you get down to it.

Emily the Criminal https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15255876/. Aubrey Plaza is the title character.

Nov 6, 2002

It's a good movie.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

While we're here I would be remiss not to recommend Tao Lin's short book Shoplifting from American Apparel. Good literature and also contains helpful shoplifting advice!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Loss Prevention Officers can suck my dang balls!!!

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

i apologize for my previous post itt

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pencilhands posted:

what about all the rest of them?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pencilhands posted:

lmao

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Sophy Wackles posted:

"The shoplifting crisis is actually made up bullshit!"

*goons go on for 5 pages about all the things they steal*

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Shoplifting is a thing that happens but the hype about it was literally from a handful of companies that wanted to be able to write off a higher level of inventory than would otherwise be reasonable without having a manufactured crisis as justification for changing their methodology. I suspect a lot of it is being backtracked now thanks to the price gouging due to "inflation" and the US being moronic and allowing you to use LIFO so they actually want to draw down their inventory to rake in the profits.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

pencilhands posted:

on behalf of everyone, i forgive you

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

pencilhands posted:

lol

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

aniviron posted:

While we're here I would be remiss not to recommend Tao Lin's short book Shoplifting from American Apparel. Good literature and also contains helpful shoplifting advice!

fun fact about tao lin, either he was a dedicated shitposter here for a couple years, or there was an extremely obsessive and dedicated fan of his pretending to be him

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's loving awesome. I would believe he posted here, but then again I would also believe that someone would post with that gimmick.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Bad Purchase posted:

on behalf of everyone, i forgive you

I don't :colbert:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PinheadSlim posted:

No I'm sorry, for the crime of taking a sweater that's been abandoned for 11 months I sentence you to being a cop. Oink oink, fascist!

uh yeah they'll come pick it up when it gets cold again grow a brain

pencilhands posted:

lol

Klyith posted:

what about all the rest of them?

lmao

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
show us shoplifting v wage theft chart or "inflation" then ask if I give a hot gently caress!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Guys, it's all just bananas.

Till AI shows up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-sun.com/money/7263644/self-checkout-update-could-end-banana-trick/amp/

Then it's all just granola?

Lol so easy. I myself am a fan of artisan salami's I slam in my pants.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no, i definitely included you

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I know someone who stole half their thanksgiving dinner for their family because they were poor as poo poo and the walmart guy watched them and came over and helped them bag it and told them to have a merry christmas and a happier new year.

sometimes the blue shirts are good folks too.

the following year was 2020, for the record.

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

Earwicker posted:

pff i know right? thats just like one tin of caviar.

my favorite tale from the service desk at a grocery store was when this lady returned two tins of caviar (or something similar, it wasn't an upscale grocery store so I don't think it was caviar but it was in a small can and cost like $50) and used the refund to immediately buy a carton of 305's and two 24's of natty light. the store manager went and checked our inventory system that said we had two in stock prior to accepting the return but the shelf was empty. lmao owned.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BlueBlazer posted:

Guys, it's all just bananas.

Till AI shows up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-sun.com/money/7263644/self-checkout-update-could-end-banana-trick/amp/

Then it's all just granola?

Lol so easy. I myself am a fan of artisan salami's I slam in my pants.

My "this image tricks AI into thinking everything is a banana" t-shirt has check-out clerks asking a lot of questions that are already answered by the shirt.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 31, 2023

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Bad Purchase posted:

no, i definitely included you

Stop stealing my right to being indignant!!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I know someone who stole half their thanksgiving dinner for their family because they were poor as poo poo and the walmart guy watched them and came over and helped them bag it and told them to have a merry christmas and a happier new year.

sometimes the blue shirts are good folks too.

the following year was 2020, for the record.

:unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
On the other end of the scale when I worked at Raising Canes the manager always came to work strapped to « protect us »

Sir I would like to not die in a shootout over the fried chicken money thanks