Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I wonder what the highest SB/times reached rate is

probably a dave roberts type who's not an every day starter but is used as a pinch runner a lot to steal a base in a close game

e: since he was the first name that came to mind: adding walks + hits but subtracting triples and dingers he came out to 25.5%

e2: Rickey Henderson is at 28.9% which is absurd considering how much he got on base, jesus christ

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I feel like every Stolen Base record is a Ricky Henderson record

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hirez posted:

I feel like every Stolen Base record is a Ricky Henderson record

Pulled a name out of my addled brain and found a good one: Vince Coleman 42.1%

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Rickey Henderson on why he didn't hit more triples: "Rickey knows when the outfielders have better arms than the catchers."

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Will 130 SB in a season ever be broken? I feel like that's going to be up there just like the 56 game hitting streak (this always boggles my mind) and hitting over .400.

vvvv drat you caught me before the edit

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 1, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It was a 56 game hitting streak :actually:

Baseball's most unbreakable record is Cy Young's 749 complete games

e: A complete list of all the pitchers in baseball history who started more than 749 games:
Nolan Ryan
Don Sutton

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

When I had the thought I looked up Rangers legend Scarborough Green who stole 10 bases in 1999 on 29 hits and 10 walks, which is not as many SB as I thought. I guess I watched all of his stolen bases. He def stole home once.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was a 56 game hitting streak :actually:

Baseball's most unbreakable record is Cy Young's 749 complete games

That's so far ahead of the rest that it's only worth talking about what is the most unbreakable record that isn't a dead-ball era pitching record?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you exclude everyone who pitched before 1920 then the complete games record is 382 by Warren Spahn and that is baseball's most unbreakable record.

If you want to go recenter than that then I would submit as baseball's most unbreakable record Nolan Ryan's 292 career losses

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well that's just no fun.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nolan Ryan also issued a full 50% more walks (2,795) than the guy in second place all time (Steve Carlton, 1,833). The active walks leader is Zack Greinke with 756e:nope wrong Verlander has 918.

If your argument is that Nolan Ryan was a genetic freak the likes of which will never be seen again and therefore his records are no more interesting than the records of Deadball pitchers... that's a fair point. But like I'm old enough to remember watching Nolan Ryan pitch and also give Robin Ventura a powernoogie, which makes it feel a lot different from Ol' Hoss Radbourn. That guy was a loving alien

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 1, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

Nolan Ryan also issued a full 50% more walks (2,795) than the guy in second place all time (Steve Carlton, 1,833). The active walks leader is Zack Greinke with 756e:nope wrong Verlander has 918.

If your argument is that Nolan Ryan was a genetic freak the likes of which will never be seen again and therefore his records are no more interesting than the records of Deadball pitchers... that's a fair point. But like I'm old enough to remember watching Nolan Ryan pitch and also give Robin Ventura a powernoogie, which makes it feel a lot different from Ol' Hoss Radbourn. That guy was a loving alien

Probably one of my top-five fondest baseball memories.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Even for Nolan Ryan records I would think 7 no-hitters is pretty untouchable.

E: the man threw an 85 mph ceremonial first pitch at age 63

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There are fourteen (14) active pitchers with 7 career complete games.

Eleven (11) of them are 35 or older.

e: Actually it's only 12 and 10, b-ref still lists Bumgarner and Hamels as "active"

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

I was curious, so I checked the complete games lists limiting it to post integration, and of course it's still nuts. Robin Roberts with 305. BUT - next in line is Gaylord Perry at 303 and I remember his final couple seasons at least. Active leader is Wainwright with 28. In < 40 years the game just changed too much - complete games as a stat may as well be some relic from the 1800s.

Never say never etc etc, but I assume Bonds' walk record - set all in my baseball watching lifetime - looks pretty unbreakable. Of course I probably would have thought that about Henderson's total if Bonds weren't actively doing Bond things by the time Henderson passed Ruth.

Of course there's no way in Hell Bonds' IBB record is ever touched.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

There are fourteen (14) active pitchers with 7 career complete games.

Eleven (11) of them are 35 or older.

Complete games will be a myth in 10 years

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
You would need to steal 50 bases a season for 28 years, and you'd still be 6 short of Rickey's record.

e: I know, Shameful :(

Hirez fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 1, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

And you also still wouldn't know how to spell his name.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Nothing better to do on a Friday leading into a three day weekend:

Unless I missed some names.

Most complete games for a player that started 1970 or later:
Bert Blyleven (came up 1970) - 242

Most complete games for a player that started 1980 or later:
Roger Clemens (came up 1984) - 118

Most complete games for a player that started 1990 or later:
Roy Halladay (Came up 1998) - 67

Note - the 1990 or later could have been Randy Johnson at 100, but he came up in 1988. Funnily enough - he's tied at 100 with noted Dennis Eckersley - who pitched for 11 seasons after his last start.

Also - looking though that list led me to this guy and HOW have I never heard of this dude?
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nolanth01.shtml

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

How about this dude?
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/smithph01.shtml

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Amazing. Just in passing I would think I'd have heard that name before. But nope. New to me.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=millio001ten

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's also this dude, who pitched 3 games in the Federal League and whose birthplace is Atlantic Ocean:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/porraed01.shtml

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Everyone talking about Acuna and Betts but have you considered Cody Bellinger?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

There's also this dude, who pitched 3 games in the Federal League and whose birthplace is Atlantic Ocean:
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/porraed01.shtml

Just lmao if you ever choose a nationality in Road to the Show that isn’t “At Sea”

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/StPaulSaints/status/1697679416350867482

83 steals in 95 attempts in AAA the last two seasons (last year he was in the Nats system) yowie wowie

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Gonna crawl into the playoffs and smoke the Twins get blanked by Giolito and Thor of the Guardians, baby

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Thor got DFA'd sadly, but otherwise would feel okay if this happened

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

thor got released yesterday

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

what a tragedy

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Do not even ask posted:

the blue jays are poop from a butt and i wish i didn't root for them

Prediction: they'll finish at 87 wins and miss the postseason.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

MrMidnight posted:

Complete games will be a myth in 10 years

Day 1 patches, am I right :rimshot:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Acuna owns pretty hard

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Acuna owns pretty hard

yes sir

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

mdemone posted:

That's so far ahead of the rest that it's only worth talking about what is the most unbreakable record that isn't a dead-ball era pitching record?

Ripken's consecutive games mark is as far out of reach for a modern player as any ridiculous Cy Young number.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Tatis Sr.’s two grand slams in one inning and Johnny Vander Meer’s back to back no hitters are also guaranteed to be unbreakable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That Nolan Ryan strikeout record is incredibly unreachable. Max Scherzer is 38 already and he's still 2400 behind Ryan.

Ryan- 5714

next most among actives-
Scherzer 3354
Verlander 3308

Kershaw (of active players) may end up in the Top 10 all time in strikeouts by the time he's done. He's just under 3000 right now, but his health situation is always a question. Greg Maddux is #10 all time at 3371.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
interested to see how Dodgers superfan Max Fried does tonight in full awareness that he’s been telling LA for a couple years now to move around the money it’ll take to get him there as of 2025

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Hirez posted:

You would need to steal 50 bases a season for 28 years, and you'd still be 6 short of Rickey's record.

e: I know, Shameful :(

'Sixty stolen bases? You ought to be ashamed. Rickey would have 60 at the break.'

-Rickey "Rickey Henderson" Henderson

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/bootlegbart/status/1649509233975492608?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tony Phillips posted:

Amazing. Just in passing I would think I'd have heard that name before. But nope. New to me.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=millio001ten

I saw he's buried in anacortes and holy crap the cemetery has a very detailed arcgis map where you can see info on all the plots.
https://anacortesgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=ff72dc0237544bdcb947417b4432178a

There's even links to the headstones and, in some cases, scans of the newspaper obits.

Here's Ten Million's headstone, may he rest in peace.