Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1710408767144435811?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw

Good morning and welcome to the next round of postseason baseball!
https://twitter.com/mlb/status/1710657479758193152?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw

Here are your matchups for this round
:frogsiren: American League Division Series: The bag cereal option :frogsiren:
Compared to the social media storm yesterday, the entire AL has been fairly quiet this week. Here are your teams.
https://twitter.com/tweyant/status/1710363263064543425?s=46

Texas Rangers vs Baltimore Orioles

Minnesota Twins vs Houston Astros

:frogsiren: National League Divisional Series: Good vibes vs Bad vibes :frogsiren:
https://twitter.com/bgardnerfanclub/status/1710658847617200590?s=46
The National League has been loud. Tensions are high, especially between one of the matchups. I considered making a separate thread for them, but I’m a bit crunched for time.

Philadelphia Phillies vs Atlanta Braves
  • Philadelphia Phillies: a taxonomy of different dirtbag boyfriend varietals
    Hooo boy, here we go. The Phillies are chaos elementals, and they’re fans even more so. Honestly I welcome the chaos, but it also might because I miss Kyle Schwarber and Nick Castellanos
    https://twitter.com/kdcaseywrites/status/1709768962664268057?s=20
  • Atlanta Braves: Postseason Pecan Pie
    The Atlanta Braves are good. And will let everyone know about it. They have video montages premade and ready to drop at crucial moments. Their mascot tried to make a dig at the Phanatic and was roasted for the rest of the day.
    https://twitter.com/PanasonicDX4500/status/1710458027671785843#m

Arizona Diamondbacks vs Los Angeles Dodgers

:frogsiren: TODAY’S SCHEDULE :frogsiren:
Rangers at Baltimore has been delayed to 2:15ET
https://twitter.com/mlb/status/1710643638303179022?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw

Miz Kriss fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The Orioles purposely caused the bad weather. Shameful

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

The Gods make another foolish attempt to stop Joan Jett. It will not work.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

blossommirage posted:

The Gods make another foolish attempt to stop Joan Jett. It will not work.

:hmmyes:

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Your Minnesota Twins this year are a strange breed, for Minnesota. The Twins have prided themselves on the long ball for years now, and the team is still built for that. The Twins strike out A LOT. Like, literally setting an all-time record this year for strikeouts. The offense finally woke up some after the All-Star but in general, the bats have struggled this year. They haven't been ABSENT, though -- Max Kepler managed a complete turnaround from his disastrous initial season, Michael A. Taylor reminded everyone that he actually was a power hitter before the Nats tried to break it out of him, Correa managed to put some things together on that side of the ball, and frankly if you don't know who Royce Lewis is, what are you even doing? And we haven't even talked about the rest of the roster, like French-Canadian phenom Edouard Julien, local boy Matt Wallner, spicy new star Alex Kiriloff... there's a lot of young and promising talent on the Twins right now. Still, they've struggled to consistently get timely hits and it's cost them games.

But the Twins this year have something they haven't had in years -- reliable pitching. The Twins' starting pitching corps is one of if not the best in the American League, and a top five contender in all of baseball. After tearfully sending Luis Arraez down to Miami, the Twins received one Pablo Lopez in return, who reassured the Twinkies faithful with the best season of his entire career. Right behind Lopez is Sonny Gray, who every Yankees fan would have thought a lost cause and who has responded by relaunching his career into orbit. Joe Ryan had a dynamite start to the season but has struggled in the back half after an injury, and then the big five are rounded out by Kenta Maeda (also redeeming himself after a rough 2022 and some nasty games early on) and Bailey Ober, who's pitching today. Any one of these guys could be a team's #1 starter. Together they're terrifying.

The bullpen is comprehensively dependable, featuring names such as Brock Stewart, Louie Varland, Caleb Thielbar, and His Dark Materials, Emilio Pagan, who has been steadily working off an atrocious season start with some of the most solid relief pitching around. If you make it to the ninth and the Twins have a lead, well, God help you. If you're lucky, you'll face Griffin Jax, who is hypothetically mortal but still a reliable closer. If you're not, the Twins will roll Jhoan Duran out onto the mound, and he'll burn you to the ground. Duran's control hasn't been entirely on point this year, he has a nasty habit of letting dudes on base before getting out of it which is not good for the faithful's blood pressure or ulcers, but when he's on, he's almost unhittable. His velocity is horrifying and when you try to engage that, he'll hit you with curveballs approaching 90.

But possibly the biggest surprise in the Twins' postseason so far has been the fans themselves. Minnesota does not have a reputation for dedicated sports fans, because people don't understand how it works up here. We're very used to our teams being bad and as a result often take a "prove that you're different" attitude. If they don't, well, the wallets do the talking. But the Twins proved themselves this year, and the results are beyond obvious -- I would argue, I think convincingly, that no ballpark in the WC round was as loud or as dynamic as Target Field was. Just ask Vlad Guerrero Jr. if you don't believe me. It's been years since Minnesota had any real shot at a championship and the people are hungry for success. Despite their struggles, these Twins may have what it takes to bring it to them. They've already broken two twenty-year curses this postseason. How far can they go?

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 7, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Too bad they're gonna get swept

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

Your Minnesota Twins this year are a strange breed, for Minnesota. The Twins have prided themselves on the long ball for years now, and the team is still built for that. The Twins strike out A LOT. Like, literally setting an all-time record this year for strikeouts. The offense finally woke up some after the All-Star but in general, the bats have struggled this year. They haven't been ABSENT, though -- Max Kepler managed a complete turnaround from his disastrous initial season, Michael A. Taylor reminded everyone that he actually was a power hitter before the Nats tried to break it out of him, Correa managed to put some things together on that side of the ball, and frankly if you don't know who Royce Lewis is, what are you even doing? And we haven't even talked about the rest of the roster, like French-Canadian phenom Edouard Julien, local boy Matt Wallner, spicy new star Alex Kiriloff... there's a lot of young and promising talent on the Twins right now. Still, they've struggled to consistently get timely hits and it's cost them games.

But the Twins this year have something they haven't had in years -- reliable pitching. The Twins' starting pitching corps is one of if not the best in the American League, and a top five contender in all of baseball. After tearfully sending Luis Arraez down to Miami, the Twins received one Pablo Lopez in return, who reassured the Twinkies faithful with the best season of his entire career. Right behind Lopez is Sonny Gray, who every Yankees fan would have thought a lost cause and who has responded by relaunching his career into orbit. Joe Ryan had a dynamite start to the season but has struggled in the back half after an injury, and then the big five are rounded out by Kenta Maeda (also redeeming himself after a rough 2022 and some nasty games early on) and Bailey Ober, who's pitching today. Any one of these guys could be a team's #1 starter. Together they're terrifying.

The bullpen is comprehensively dependable, featuring names such as Brock Stewart, Louie Varland, Caleb Thielbar, and His Dark Materials, Emilio Pagan, who has been steadily working off an atrocious season start with some of the most solid relief pitching around. If you make it to the ninth and the Twins have a lead, well, God help you. If you're lucky, you'll face Griffin Jax, who is hypothetically mortal but still a reliable closer. If you're not, the Twins will roll Jhoan Duran out onto the mound, and he'll burn you to the ground. Duran's control hasn't been entirely on point this year, he has a nasty habit of letting dudes on base before getting out of it which is not good for the faithful's blood pressure or ulcers, but when he's on, he's almost unhittable. His velocity is horrifying and when you try to engage that, he'll hit you with curveballs approaching 90.

But possibly the biggest surprise in the Twins' postseason so far has been the fans themselves. Minnesota does not have a reputation for dedicated sports fans, because people don't understand how it works up here. We're very used to our teams being bad and as a result often take a "prove that you're different" attitude. If they don't, well, the wallets do the talking. But the Twins proved themselves this year, and the results are beyond obvious -- I would argue, I think convincingly, that no ballpark in the WC round was as loud or as dynamic as Target Field was. Just ask Vlad Guerrero Jr. if you don't believe me. It's been years since Minnesota had any real shot at a championship and the people are hungry for success. Despite their struggles, these Twins may have what it takes to bring it to them. They've already broken two twenty-year curses this postseason. How far can they go?

Hell yes go twins!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/UmpireAuditor/status/1710541177026707880

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
FOX hyping up six year playoff droughts like that's a long time.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
go the texas rangers and go not the houston astros

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pobrecito posted:

:wrong:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Pobrecito posted:

False

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pobrecito posted:

kaww of course
Jul 11, 2003

This is NOT the greatest avatar in the world; this is just a tribute
Doctor Rope
GOOS

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i beg someone to stop advertising the $20k first class tickets

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

triple sulk posted:

i beg someone to stop advertising the $20k first class tickets

But Penelope Cruz likes sports too. She's just like you.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Pobrecito posted:

naginalJJ
Feb 10, 2007

Baby, looks like a dance epidemic to me
I'm seeing things I thought I'd never see
Dance epidemic tonight

Pobrecito posted:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

I'm still seething over the Cubs pissing away their season, but otherwise, as long as the poo poo heads and racists lose, I'm fine with whatever happens. Hoping for either Os/Phills or Twins/Phills in the World Series.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Evan Carter looks completely comfortable

Not sure about everyone else, but hey it's something

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Some extremely wrong opinions in this thread already

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Can’t wait to win $10.90 on my $10 fanduel bet!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Endless Trash posted:

Can’t wait to win $10.90 on my $10 fanduel bet!

Put it towards an Emirates flight

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Let's go

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Evan Carter is handsome and strong and maybe we should all be talking about building a shrine to him ya know??

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The Baltimore Orioles are dogshit garbage

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

RIP O's

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
evan carter is so loving good yall

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol Bradish sucks

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Semien needs to be a little better than he has in the playoffs. He's capable, just needs to get a good result.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

so much BABIP in the last half inning. go's

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

Semien needs to be a little better than he has in the playoffs. He's capable, just needs to get a good result.

I would prefer that he be a lot worse, actually

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

The Texas Rangers are dogshit garbage

...!
Oct 5, 2003

...! posted:

lol Heaney sucks

...!
Oct 5, 2003

triple sulk posted:

The Texas Rangers are dogshit garbage

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

aaron hicks looks like a yankee even in an o's uniform

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Bradish doing his thing. The bats need to wake up

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8