Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

workday, more like workgay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

spending 20 minutes filling in the same fields in every application knowing that no one will even llook at it loL

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Love to answer questions that could easily be answered by a person simply reading my resume

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

AnimeIsTrash posted:

spending 20 minutes filling in the same fields in every application knowing that no one will even llook at it loL

Just have ChatGPT write your resume.

But yeah, 21st century wage-slavery has become particularly morose. I feel you.

Yeah dude let me work at restaurants retail or accounting forever until they’re automated by robots owned by the World Economic Fascism, World Eco-Fascism, World Economic Forum bourgeoisie so then they can give us carbon credits required for travel and purchasing meat while we’re all dying premature deaths in slums worldwide from no healthcare or even clean water like Gaza. But heres some bugs for your RDA protein intake. Would you like roasted beetles or roaches in your soup sir?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's great at loving with your password manager thumbs up 👍

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
get a cushy unionized public agency job with a pension and never have to hunt for a job ever again

this was my strategy. seems to be working out

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

updated my linkedin yesterday and had to delete all the lies i had up about knowing sql and python and tableau and powerbi from the last time i was jobhunting

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If any aspiring thinkpiece authors are looking for ideas, I feel like there's a decent article to be written on the topic of how labor's power is suppressed in part by how loving tedious, awkward, and demoralizing every step of the job-hunting process has become.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

updated my linkedin yesterday and had to delete all the lies i had up about knowing sql and python and tableau and powerbi from the last time i was jobhunting
power bottom (bi edition)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I once got offered a remote job working the graveyard shift for a uk company sometimes I think I should've taken it

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

getting homework that no one will even look at

doing the homework getting an interview and getting a quiz that no one will even look at

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Brain Candy posted:

getting homework that no one will even look at

doing the homework getting an interview and getting a quiz that no one will even look at

anyone that takes competency quizzes on linkedin to earn badges should be shot

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I can probably hook you up with a job digging ditches OP.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Weka posted:

I can probably hook you up with a job digging ditches OP.

3-5 years witch burning experience preferred but not necessary

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch
idk how to get a job lol

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FirstnameLastname posted:

idk how to get a job lol

you lie at someone important until they give you money to keep lying for them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FirstnameLastname posted:

idk how to get a job lol
be friends with someone really rich and high-up

hang out at country clubs, study at an ivy league then leave your dorm room door open, go to lacrosse events, find the most upscale steakhouse you can find and walk in and shake the nicest dressed man's suit you can find. ez pz

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is a really good time to apply for city/county/state/federal jobs for anyone not chasing tech money. only 20.5 years until my pension kicks in

y'all'd be shocked at how just few people apply since the hoops are generally more onerous to jump through compared to private job portals and indeed and stuff. there are lots of equivalent positions too so once you apply for one job at a state agency that application will be 90% good for lots of others and decreases work. when i was hunting, having to start a profile on a new job portal was my #1 reason for discouragement

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Xaris posted:

be friends with someone really rich and high-up

hang out at country clubs, study at an ivy league then leave your dorm room door open, go to lacrosse events, find the most upscale steakhouse you can find and walk in and shake the nicest dressed man's suit you can find. ez pz

in my previous life i got offered a job with a french maritime organization by a guy i sat next to in business class on a return flight from hong kong.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

this is a really good time to apply for city/county/state/federal jobs for anyone not chasing tech money. only 20.5 years until my pension kicks in
it actually is. we've had a huge wave of retirees at mine and tons more coming up, especially for pretty high up jobs too. definitely keep eye out on city and county jobs rn, especially if it's unionized. generally wont see another wave like this for another couple of decades

i got really lucky in that i got this job tail end of 2021 in the winter when no one was really looking for public jobs; thus was like only 1 of 3 people that applied for a pretty high up position. i'm a god awful interviewee so i got super lucky but at least now i never have to ever do it again

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

it actually is. we've had a huge wave of retirees at mine and tons more coming up, especially for pretty high up jobs too. definitely keep eye out on city and county jobs rn, especially if it's unionized. generally wont see another wave like this for another couple of decades

i got really lucky in that i got this job tail end of 2021 in the winter when no one was really looking for public jobs; thus was like only 1 of 3 people that applied for a pretty high up position. i'm a god awful interviewee so i got super lucky but at least now i never have to ever do it again

lol i made an edit on my post but yeah pretty much a similar experience. about this time last year i was whining about being poor forever in the doomsday economics thread and an interview coach from australia pm'd me and took a couple months to work with me on interview skills. he changed my life :)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

y'all'd be shocked at how just few people apply since the hoops are generally more onerous to jump through compared to private job portals and indeed and stuff. there are lots of equivalent positions too so once you apply for one job at a state agency that application will be 90% good for lots of others and decreases work. when i was hunting, having to start a profile on a new job portal was my #1 reason for discouragement

i find the exam schedule, the general service entrance exam, etc, things of this nature, to be very confusing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zodium posted:

in my previous life i got offered a job with a french maritime organization by a guy i sat next to in business class on a return flight from hong kong.

looks like we got an executive in our ranks

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

here is a job interview pro tip i have learned:

if the manager you will be reporting to is not present at any point during the interview(s), chances are they are being hidden from you due to the fact that they are massive loving idiot/rear end in a top hat/sociopath, and you should fuckin' dip out.

obviously does not apply to all industries.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
use ai to write your cover letter, nobody reads them and systems don't have the software to tell if it's machine written or not yet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

chatgpt just whipped me up a cover letter with ten seconds of work and even conveniently bracketed blanks for me to fill in with personalized info lol

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The best is when you have to apply through indeed/ziprecruiter and then go to their portal, fill out the same thing again while setting up an account and then take some dumb competency quizzes. Lmao gently caress outta here.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

really queer Christmas posted:

The best is when you have to apply through indeed/ziprecruiter and then go to their portal, fill out the same thing again while setting up an account and then take some dumb competency quizzes. Lmao gently caress outta here.

and on the flipslide the 'through indeed' easy apply options probably get four thousand applicants apiece. it all sucks so bad. i never once got a response from maybe ~1000 applications on indeed and linkedin but batted a ~10% response rate for gummint jobs

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

really queer Christmas posted:

if you apply for a computer toucher amazon job the last 15 questions basically ask you if you are willing to swear fealty to bezos

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

use chatgpt to make you a resume and cover letter for an email job, then use chatgpt for all the emails

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Uploading a cover letter and carefully crafted resume.

Getting an email about putting the same information in your resume in the their homebrew system.

"Could we get your personal supervisor's phone number from a job you worked at 8 years ago?"

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

and on the flipslide the 'through indeed' easy apply options probably get four thousand applicants apiece. it all sucks so bad. i never once got a response from maybe ~1000 applications on indeed and linkedin but batted a ~10% response rate for gummint jobs

if i had to estimate i've put out at least 2500+ applications. 85-90% yield zero response of any kind, even automated. from that i've had roughly 40-50 interviews in total, maybe a little more. usually at least 1-3 "active" process at any given time, with "active" being in quotes because they almost universally move slowly.

the average interview is 5 steps with one week between each. the longest probably went 6-7 weeks before a rejection. only two companies kept their entire process under two weeks. both ended in rejection. to my knowledge, one of those never filled the role and pulled it down. another company went 4-5 weeks before asking me for free work, and i told them to gently caress off unless they pay me. they've yet to fill the role.

i'm finishing up a process this week and i'd say it's a tossup as to whether they make me an offer. i'll likely know by the end of the week. when we got to the point of salary expectations, i undercut their bottom end of budget by 10k because i need a job and i have no right to really complain about how much money it is, as it would still be more than i made previously. any final advantage i can get against other hypothetical candidates is critical.

i can admit i've hosed up in some interviews and have strived to make improvements which hopefully yields a reward. but in all my years, i've never had anywhere near this level of difficulty. ghost jobs are real, budgets are all over the place, and nothing makes sense any more, if it ever did.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

triple sulk posted:

when we got to the point of salary expectations, i undercut their bottom end of budget by 10k because i need a job and i have no right to really complain about how much money it is, as it would still be more than i made previously.

Nooooo

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Gov jobs are so weird. Like the job I just landed is an incredibly sweet gig I'm grateful to have and how I got here is basically pure chance, my manager at my new job was previously the manager at the company I was working for before this job, no personal overlap in employment he was just headhunting people in the field because this position had apparently been unfilled for an extensive period of time. The requirements for this job are incredibly vague, like yeah I have some overlapping experience but basically anyone with the ability to read could hypothetically do it. And yet they allegedly had this position open for like 2 years and were unable to fill it. I heard in the interview process that I was only competing against one other person, it was basically a freebie. The funny part is this gov site has several "prime" contractors and I had personally applied to an identical position with one of the other agencies and literally never heard back. That contractor was still looking for this same position when I got hired and it turns out a different coworker at my company just got the in there about a month after me. Said guy had also applied for I believe the position I ended up getting but also simply never heard back, but did get headhunted by the other contractor through vague personal connections again as a freebie.

I dunno it seems like HR must just dumpster any non-invite applications.

PoundSand has issued a correction as of 22:25 on Oct 21, 2023

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

normally i'd never do this, but it's still a lot of money and they may very well just hit the bottom of the range. it's always easier to get a job when you have a job, too.

my gap is getting way too long and it's loving hard to keep going like this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PoundSand posted:

I dunno it seems like HR must just dumpster any non-invite applications.

I work at a state university that requires all job openings be made public for a while, and, as a result, many offers are basically "fake" because they're already effectively reserved for someone.

When I got a big raise a few years ago, it required creating a new position because my old one was hourly and new one was salary. So they put up this posting just as a formality.

And they're doing the same thing for this other guy we want to hire full-time (who had previously been doing work via temporary contracts).

I wonder what percent of positions that are "technically" public actually aren't.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

And they're doing the same thing for this other guy we want to hire full-time (who had previously been doing work via temporary contracts).

I wonder what percent of positions that are "technically" public actually aren't.
we have no way to internally hire, and no way to bump someone's title+pay (i.e. assistant->associate), so yeah they have to be made public even if it's like ok we really wanna give Joe Smith whose been with us for 25 years this upgraded position so he can get a good pension payout when he retires, but we gotta go through this full-blown DEI public hiring process. which i think is really stupid and a waste of many dozens of hours.

ime most public positions we're hiring for are not reserved, maybe <20%. that said even though we do have a 3-step process along with a bunch of DEI stuff, we can absolutely rig it for someone we want if needed

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this is probably the worst job market ive seen in a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

smarxist posted:

you lie at someone important until they give you money to keep lying for them

i live in the actual dust bowl transported to the future