Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Mom's alive, Dad's been dead for coming on 10 years now.

Took a while to process and come to terms with the fact that I'm glad he's dead and I'm happier for it.

He had an explosive temper and you were never really sure what would set him off. Yelling and screaming were a daily occurrence; at home and in public. Thrown things, slammed doors, hitting in ways not to leave marks. No praise or encouragement and always being told I'd fail if I followed my dreams. Zero compassion or sympathy for others. Hated the thought of spending money on me for my birthday or christmas and always made it a point to try and ruin both for me.

He hated giving me stuff so much that once he had upgraded to a new digital camera and offered his old one to his brother for free. He declined. I asked if I could have it. He said I could have it for the price of his new one. He ended up giving it to a coworker.

He'd randomly wake me up as a kid in the middle of the night by shaking me and pouring water on me. Never played with me outside of video games a handful of times. And if I was doing better, he'd immediately quit. Never taught me how to ride a bike. He propped an old bike against the fence, put me on the seat and said "Balance," before walking back into the house.

There's a lot more, but I don't want to turn this into an e/n post.

I don't know why he acted like he did towards me. He said his dad acted the same way towards him, but that he still loved him and missed him, and that when he was gone I'd miss him too.

Fucker's wrong.

Dad dead, so what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

they both are, i don't talk with them often at all, they thought the best way to parent was to yell and beat us, now they wonder why their kids and grandkids don't want to see them

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
We fixed my electric issue and no one got all shocked to death or nothing

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yes they are op, because in this world the worse of a person you are the longer you seem to live

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house

Bad Purchase posted:

yes they are op, because in this world the worse of a person you are the longer you seem to live
the rare times people ask about my parents i just tell them my parents are dead otherwise i'd have to pretend i'm not having an anxiety attack

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Yeah, they are. my parents are both in their 70's and are in better shape physically than i am.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Both my parents are alice, and they babysit my dog so it doesn’t eat me while I work at home.she (and I ) love(s) them.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Well this threads going dark

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
My parents are dead, and everything is worse now.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
My momma didn't raise no fool, and my papa didn't raise me at all

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

My dad is alive but I inherited his procrastination and awkwardness which combined with a lovely childhood means we rarely talk. I should text him tomorrow.

My mom is dead to me she was a real "see you next Tuesday" if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the reminder to text my dad I guess. He has a cool dog.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Chief McHeath posted:

annyway thats my mom and dad dead so what post i hope someone can find something in there that can help them if they need it :cool:

What's it like never being able to talk to them again

That kind of sucks to think I won't be able to ask my dad for advice about stuff or get a text from my mom anymore and it'll just be me

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I became a dad recently at 38 so I'll probably die before I see my kid reach my age

Owned lol

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If it makes anyone feel better, my maternal grandparents were pieces of poo poo and there was a pseudo family reunion to pitch their urn off a cliff. Everyone had a great time and laughed about how much it would've pissed lovely grandfather off.

And I sincerely hope this story does make y'all feel better, because it made us all feel great!

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Both my parents are alice, and they babysit my dog so it doesn’t eat me while I work at home.she (and I ) love(s) them.

only my moms alice, my dads john. both alive tho.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They are and I hope they keep on kicking until my own children are adults as they are great grandparents and my kids love them.

I also miss my own grandparents, though they would've been 100+ by now, but that's not an unheard of age in my family. Two great aunts are alive at 98 now and my great granddad got to be 102.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Moai Ou posted:

Sad words

:glomp:

Mine are still alive. They’re both in their 70’s and are still married although by all accounts it’s an empty shell marriage. I haven’t voluntarily spoken to either of them since 2012. They’re not nice people; I’ve posted a lot about them in the Rejected Parents thread already but know this: I’m eagerly awaiting the feeling of relief and the weight of the world being lifted off my shoulders once I’m informed that one or both of them have finally shuffled off the mortal coil.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

mine are both still alive and i have good relationships with them, and they both love my girlfriend

my mom for sure likes my girlfriend more than she likes me lol

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mine are doing well which is great. When I was little I didn't realize that I had, like, a movie family, both parents really loved & love me, are kind and thoughtful people, and before having kids they educated themselves and throughout my childhood took a lot of care to make good parenting decisions intentionally.

Anyway I really showed them who is boss by being a deadender fuckup, gottem.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
:smith:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yep both alive and I talk to them maybe once in two months even though they never wronged me or hurt me in any way.

I wonder why. Well, they got divorced, but I dunno.

My wife's family is so cartoon perfect and loving and cohesive that if I'm honest with myself it makes me really angry and uncomfortable and dials my guilt up to 11. Her grandma tells me she loves me and she means it. She writes me $30 checks for my birthday. I hate the holidays so much.

sigh well, thanks thread

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 25, 2023

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

As of this morning, yes probably

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

That kind of sucks to think I won't be able to ask my dad for advice about stuff or get a text from my mom anymore and it'll just be me

One of the hardest things for me to learn, and that I only learned with the benefit of hindsight was I didn’t just lose my dad at 19 years old, I lost the dad I would have had at 25, at 30 and on and on. There was a lot of useful advice I never got to get from him just because I wasn’t old enough to ask for it or need it, and when I was, he wasn’t there to ask. And there were certainly plenty of times he would have seen the way I was acting and reeled me in and made sure I cut that poo poo out real quick.

e: the short answer is “pretty tough sometimes,” op

Alienwarez
Feb 9, 2004

Mom is alive, and she's a very happy new grandma to our first kid. She is a wonderful woman and has always had my back and has taught me many useful things.

COVID killed my dad two years ago. He was a maga hat business man that knew that he could take ivermectin "like Trump did" and be fine. Well he fuckin found out about that by drowning in his own lung soup for 2 weeks until he finally died. He thought he taught me a lot of life lessons about how to succeed in business by being conniving and cheating and shortcutting like he did, and I guess I did listen to him and have done the exact opposite of his advice so I could live with myself and sleep at night. Everyone seems to think that he was a good dad since he bought us a bunch of stuff and threw money at us. I am still dealing with his lovely mess of an estate more than two years later and probably will be forever.

I miss my dad.

I sure wish he could have met his grandson. He would have been over the moon about that.

Anyway gently caress me for seriousposting. I'm sorry to the ones who had lovely parents, and I'm happy for the ones who had good ones. To the conflicted ones, I totally get it.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Neighbor made a song about these parents: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Living_Next_Door_to_Alice

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Is this a threat?

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
1 down, 1 to go

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

They're alive and married still. I should know how long they have been at it but I'm a lovely kid. Anyway, they certainly had their issues but I believe they did their best and besides making me exist without my consent I don't have anything against them. They are actually extremely helpful and a wealth of information on certain practical things, my life will be poorer when they finally die. They are like 78 and 75 or 4 I think? Again, subpar child.

Also :lol: they are never going to get to be grandparents so they spoil my sister and BIL's dog and cats to compensate.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

20 Blunts posted:

millenial with young parents here so ya

:hfive:

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Toxic Mental posted:

You’ve described what I would call “a good time”

parity
May 16, 2019

all things are nothing to me
Both still live, but my mother recently purchased her coffin (took out a 30-year mortgage), so I can sort of envision how it’ll pan out.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Dad dead for 5 years now; long, drawn-out, awful to watch. Thanks, Robert McNamara.

Mom in early stages of congestive heart failure, most likely brought on in part due to stress of dealing with Dad's care and finally getting the VA to pay for it all. I take her to all her appointments. Good times.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Both my parents were dead by the time I was 30. I refuse to visit my mother's grave. Because even though I paid for the stone I would be hard pressed not to smash the hell out of it.

Those of yall with living folks try to make amends and or tell em how you feel about stuff that hurt you while you can. Otherwise you are gonna be left with a lifetime of bad. (If you can. 90% of the estranged parents thread here is people that say or had to completely block off all contact with their parents. I'm not sure its always the best choice. Regret about things unsaid can suck.)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My parents are alive.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Bio dad could be dead for all I know, but my actual parents are still alive and I'm very glad for it, they're great and I love them very much

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

My mom died just two weeks ago. We had the services this past Sunday and Monday. Dad is doing pretty well, considering. I just had supper with him tonight, and the cards and gifts are still pouring in. He received four lasagnas, and a 4 pound tin of danish butter cookies, among other things.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Physically or emotionally

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
Yes ..no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

dinahmoe posted:

My mom died just two weeks ago. We had the services this past Sunday and Monday. Dad is doing pretty well, considering. I just had supper with him tonight, and the cards and gifts are still pouring in. He received four lasagnas, and a 4 pound tin of danish butter cookies, among other things.

bet the tin isnt even full of sewing supplies…