Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Mom's alive and livin' life!

Dad's dead. I found him a couple years ago on the kitchen floor in death rattles, surrounded by bloody vomit. Brain bleeds, man. I'm just glad I was the one who found him so my mom didn't have to deal with the mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Butter cookie tins need to be full of sewing supplies, you should help out with that.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Laterite posted:

Dad dead for 5 years now; long, drawn-out, awful to watch. Thanks, Robert McNamara.

Mom in early stages of congestive heart failure, most likely brought on in part due to stress of dealing with Dad's care and finally getting the VA to pay for it all. I take her to all her appointments. Good times.

I’m in a similar situation. Dad had a few strokes that continuously robbed him of living life normally until the last year of his life where he was basically a vegetable. It was awful to watch a kind man who loved to sing and be a jokey smartass become an incoherent husk of a person. gently caress strokes.

Mom lost the use of her kidneys and is on dialysis now, and she almost died from pneumonia a couple of years ago because she refused to go to the doctor and wound up in the hospital in a medically induced coma for three weeks. I think she was giving up on life after the loss of my dad, but she quickly realized that’s not the way. She now takes great care of herself and is in the best shape medically and physically a 74 year old woman can be. And yes, I take her to all her appointments, too.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Dad died January of 2020 of cancer, after fighting it for several years. He got to skip COVID, I guess. Mom died of kidney failure Christmas of 2021 after she chose to end dialysis.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
e: never mind

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 27, 2023

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

My Mum (79) and Dad (80) are alive and well and active as all gently caress!

I do love them so.

:love:

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

My folks are 66 and 67 and still married and they even still like each other. They had me fairly young, I’m in my mid 40s.
Mum told me today that they’re looking at a place in a retirement village that is an hour and a half away from the city my sister and I live in. It’s not built yet so it’s a few years away probs, but it would be nice to have them a bit closer, but not toooo close. They’re currently two and a half hours away so I don’t visit very often. I should, but petrol is really expensive here and my car takes the strong stuff because it is silly and Italian.
They come down about once a month but it’s mostly to see their grandson (my nephew) and they often just don’t tell me they’re in town.

We have an okay relationship.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

not if I can help it

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Mom alive, dunno about Dad

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
My parents are 73 years old this year. They were high school sweethearts and are still married. Coming up on 50th wedding anniversary I think next year? I love my parents and I fear for their death at times. Especially my dad since he smokes and drinks still. But my mom has a heart condition so that's not so great either. At least they've gotten to experience being grandparents of my neice so they lived to see that. I wish my grandma was still alive to meet her but she would be over 100 years old. She died just before her 93rd birthday. That was a hard one because it happened suddenly so I didn't get to say goodbye.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
My mom and dad are still alive. If I punch them in the shoulder and they flinch, they have to buy me a pack of cigarettes!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

my parents did have a pretty bitter divorce, but I was 18 when they got divorced so I didn't really give too much of a poo poo and was glad they finally addressed the elephant in the room. They finally got over it by acting like adults and not loving talking to each other anymore.
They've both been with their partners for close to 20 years at this point. My mom's boyfriend is a good buddy and we like talking about working on our Rangers and computer poo poo. My dad's girlfriend is... fine, once she stopped trying to get me to treat her like a stepmom our relationship improved greatly.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Dixville posted:

My parents are 73 years old this year. They were high school sweethearts and are still married. Coming up on 50th wedding anniversary I think next year? I love my parents and I fear for their death at times. Especially my dad since he smokes and drinks still. But my mom has a heart condition so that's not so great either. At least they've gotten to experience being grandparents of my neice so they lived to see that. I wish my grandma was still alive to meet her but she would be over 100 years old. She died just before her 93rd birthday. That was a hard one because it happened suddenly so I didn't get to say goodbye.

With the greatest of respect I'm not sure you can really call dying at 93 "sudden" as much as living a rich and fulfilling life. I had two grandparents live into their 90s and I'm not sure I'd even want to be alive with the sort of quality of life they were experiencing at that point.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
My father died when I was so young that I don't remember him much at all. He died of a stress-related heart attack, which impressed on me from a young age to stay as chill as humanly possible.

Mom died almost 20 years ago. She loved my dad so much that she could never bring herself to remarry.

I'm now about a dozen years older than my father ever was, which is a bizarre thought.

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

SIDS Vicious posted:

bet the tin isnt even full of sewing supplies…

You could probably fit a whole sewing machine in there.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SIDS Vicious posted:

mine are both still alive (:

my mom and grandma is still alive. Got no reason for Fathers day anymore

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mirage posted:

My father died when I was so young that I don't remember him much at all. He died of a stress-related heart attack, which impressed on me from a young age to stay as chill as humanly possible.

Mom died almost 20 years ago. She loved my dad so much that she could never bring herself to remarry.

I'm now about a dozen years older than my father ever was, which is a bizarre thought.

I think your math may be off. Your father died when you were young, got that. Your mother died 20 years ago, but you are only 12 years older than your father when he died? How old was your father? 6?

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
My dad died on Father’s Day 2018 OP I hope you are happy

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yes. thanks for asking op

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think your math may be off. Your father died when you were young, got that. Your mother died 20 years ago, but you are only 12 years older than your father when he died? How old was your father? 6?

I started doing the maths on this it's like a written puzzle on a test.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'

Captain Rufus posted:

Both my parents were dead by the time I was 30. I refuse to visit my mother's grave. Because even though I paid for the stone I would be hard pressed not to smash the hell out of it.

Those of yall with living folks try to make amends and or tell em how you feel about stuff that hurt you while you can. Otherwise you are gonna be left with a lifetime of bad. (If you can. 90% of the estranged parents thread here is people that say or had to completely block off all contact with their parents. I'm not sure its always the best choice. Regret about things unsaid can suck.)

Yeah the thing about that is, not only do they not giving a flying gently caress what you think or how you feel, and either don’t understand your grievances or pretend to the hilt not to, they also will reliably get ‘revenge’ by inflicting damage to and sabotaging your life in unpredictable ways both immediately after, and vindictively into the future.

So like, sometimes the lifetime of pain around how they treat ya is gona be there no matter what, and as much as I’d dearly love to be able to get through to them, and have tried to all my life, it’s -clearly- not a possibility so… yeah. Pretty sure everyone with truly hosed parents have tried to make amends over and over and over again (I know I have), or make them understand something of how their behaviour affects you but it just doesn’t seem to work that way. They are simply missing those circuits in the brain or something

Minotaurus Rex fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 31, 2023

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Mom died in 2018 of Cancer. In later years she had 3 distinct cancers. Two were dealt with, One dealt with her.

Dad died in 2020 of Alzheimer's. His funeral was one week before the COVID lockdown. Both of my parents are buried in the National Cemetery in Phoenix. It was nice of them to die in February, when it's cool enough that you can be outdoors. I really would have hated August funerals.

My mother-in-law was 89 when she died in May. My father-in-law died in 2000.

I guess Mrs. Genesplicer and I are officially orphans.

capncthulhu
Oct 4, 2021
My mother killed herself when I was a small child, around 2-3 years old. My dad died in 2013 of heart failure. If that hadn't killed him the two cancers he had would have.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.
My parents are still alive because usually you have to jump through a lot of weird hoops to get rid of monsters.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
shouldn't it be are your mom and dad still alive?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pladdicus posted:

shouldn't it be are your mom and dad still alive?

Sure, if you want to be WOKE!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My mom died from lung cancer in 2016 due to smoking two packs of cigs per day since she was 14. She was cool as poo poo though and raised me on The Clash and Black Flag.

My dad was a piece of poo poo who bailed on the family when I was 12 and had multiple kids with multiple women. He ended up buying a radio station in Texas and dying from COVID lol

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mom died early April 2021. Not covid related. But hey, helpful reminder to fight alcoholism with every fiber of your being if it's a problem you have. Do it for yourself, do it for your loved ones, do it for friends and family. It's a fight worth winning.

My dad is still alive but if my little brother wasn't still on good terms with him I'd have probably cut him out of my life completely.

Father in law is a good dude. A really good man. Mother in law died shortly after my wife and I got married. By the time we got married she was in hospice care so we drove over to her after the ceremony before we moved onto the honeymoon.

Christ, sorry if I'm bringing things down. Just haven't really put it all out like that before.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
yeah they're alive and I love them and I worry a lot about them dying and my brothers dying and my wife dying and I worry a lot about everyone dying

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

yeah they're alive and I love them and I worry a lot about them dying and my brothers dying and my wife dying and I worry a lot about everyone dying

just don’t worry about it, hth

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

not only are they both alive, my mom lives with me now because she is retired and social security is a joke. my dad still lives despite colorectal cancer trying its hardest. although he lives in florida so....

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Moai Ou posted:

Mom's alive, Dad's been dead for coming on 10 years now.

Took a while to process and come to terms with the fact that I'm glad he's dead and I'm happier for it.

He had an explosive temper and you were never really sure what would set him off. Yelling and screaming were a daily occurrence; at home and in public. Thrown things, slammed doors, hitting in ways not to leave marks. No praise or encouragement and always being told I'd fail if I followed my dreams. Zero compassion or sympathy for others. Hated the thought of spending money on me for my birthday or christmas and always made it a point to try and ruin both for me.

He hated giving me stuff so much that once he had upgraded to a new digital camera and offered his old one to his brother for free. He declined. I asked if I could have it. He said I could have it for the price of his new one. He ended up giving it to a coworker.

He'd randomly wake me up as a kid in the middle of the night by shaking me and pouring water on me. Never played with me outside of video games a handful of times. And if I was doing better, he'd immediately quit. Never taught me how to ride a bike. He propped an old bike against the fence, put me on the seat and said "Balance," before walking back into the house.

There's a lot more, but I don't want to turn this into an e/n post.

I don't know why he acted like he did towards me. He said his dad acted the same way towards him, but that he still loved him and missed him, and that when he was gone I'd miss him too.

Fucker's wrong.

Dad dead, so what.

I'm also glad he's dead.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Mom is alive but lives in another country so I don’t see her much. Dad is alive but lives three states over so I don’t see him much

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

They're both dead to me, but they're still breathing as far as I'm aware.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

They're both dead to me, but they're still breathing as far as I'm aware.

Similar vibes to my first post.

Hope all the goons who said something similar found happiness or at least neutrality.

GodDamnArtist
Oct 11, 2002

Creating disasters and running away from them since 1981.
Dad dead since 2000. gently caress cancer. But Mom is still kicking and slowly driving me nuts as Mom's will sometimes do. But she means well and is great with the grandkids and takes em to swim practice.

I still miss my dad too this day, but I'm also kind of glad he's gone so that I didn't have to watch him turn into a MAGA idiot. But he was a salesman and hated other salesmen, so who knows how he would have been. :shrug:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Mom's alive and well, but Dad kicked the bucket this February after fighting heart failure for 11+ years. Even when he was "bedridden" and incoherent in the last few weeks he would somehow find the strength to remove his oxygen and hobble out of the hospital bed in our living room when we weren't watching him, wandering to the bathroom and his bedroom. Just 3 days before he passed he made one more trip from Mom's bed to the couch in the middle of the night, astounding us.

I miss him a bunch.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Both of my parents are still alive and married but they are alcoholics and pretty miserable. My mom’s drinking is so bad that she gave herself brain damage and lost her cushy government job a few years ago. It is depressing as gently caress because I just want them to be happy, but it’s like they forgot how. I live in fear that I will get a call that my mom died in the night or my dad got drunk and fell out of his treehouse :(

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
no but my sister died this week, its hosed. ive been thinking of making a post about her since my mom doesnt want to do a funeral/celebration until january (???)

last night some weird presence told me I was going to die at 81

I better get moving imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Mom's still alive and we get along great.

Dad died about three years ago after long term mental health issues worsened into a terminal spiral. Dude was a bastard in several ways and it's mostly a relief not having to worry about him any more. He also very deliberately wrote his will to make sure my mom and I would get nothing whatsoever. Thanks, fucker.