Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Alex Panye's new flick. It's pretty good! Throwback to 70's comedy/drama films like Harold and Maude.

Paul Giamatti is a justifiably loathed teacher at a boarding school, who is stuck staying at the school over Christmas break with students who's parents can't take them home for the holidays. With him are a disgruntled youth (dominic sessa), the school head chef (da'vine joy randolph) who's son was just killed overseas at war, and a handful of other kids.

The flick starts with very blunt 70's homages in old style MIRAMAX and some film speckles - but it's the tone and writing that really, really nail the aesthetic. A lot of smart stuff that's hilarious & melancholic. The comedy beats are splendid.

Only wish they had released it at or after Thanksgiving.

Go see it!

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Oh I saw a trailer for this movie ages ago and it looked good.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
This movie is a treasure, and the critics blasting it are a bunch of sour Grinchs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I really liked it a lot. Paul Giamatti and Davine Joy Randall, especially.

I got a bit emotional during Davine's meltdown at the party. If you deal with grief, that scene resonates

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Thank god there's finally a Holdovers thread! I loved this movie and don't even know where to start in terms of discussing it.

Overall I loved it because of its restraint... it doesn't feel like it's straining to be an "art film," a lot of the jokes land really hard without dwelling on them, there's a lot of trauma and loss without it becoming overwhelming, and the trauma is always balanced by the relationship that grows between the leads... it's extremely 70s-influenced, but there's no obnoxious color grading or film effects... it's a movie that's comfortable stretching out (for 2 hours and 20 minutes!!) in a nice middle ground between comedy and drama. nowadays there's a lot of pressure to be the funniest, or the most emotionally powerful, etc, but this movie makes a point that quality isn't dependent on reaching extremes.

I'm also pre-emptively annoyed that da'vine joy randolph and giamatti will probably be ignored in the awards season. Dominic Sessa was incredible too, especially since this was his first movie (apparently, when they decided where they wanted to film the movie, they just looked at the kids in the university's drama department and ended up finding him)

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 11, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm also pre-emptively annoyed that da'vine joy randolph and giamatti will probably be ignored in the awards season. Dominic Sessa was incredible too, especially since this was his first movie (apparently, when they decided where they wanted to film the movie, they just looked at the kids in the university's drama department and ended up finding him)

Wow. The kid's fantastic. Absolutely nails that melancholy mischievousness and doesn't feel out of place at all between the other leads.

The only movie I laughed at more this year was Bottoms. But what I love about this movie is that they often aren't jokes you're laughing at per se, it's just wonderful situations. The Cherries Jubilee cut is perfect..

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The only movie I laughed at more this year was Bottoms. But what I love about this movie is that they often aren't jokes you're laughing at per se, it's just wonderful situations. The Cherries Jubilee cut is perfect..

Lots of chuckles in our theater, but the line that got the biggest laughs was this one:

"You said you washed your hands of me!
No, I meant it metaphorically!
Of course you meant it metaphorically...What were you going to do, actually go and wash your hands?"

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 12, 2023

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Randolph has been killing it at the critics awards and she's quickly becoming a favorite for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar. Well deserved, she's excellent in this movie. As are Giammati and Sessa.

I did at times feel like the movie was overly long but I can't think of what I'd want to cut.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Giamatti's expression of disappointment at the party is an infliction of multi-PTSD. Delightful little movie.

The 35mm print is making the rounds over here so it might be time to double-dip.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

something about this movie felt a little throwback to me, the old 'bunch of ill-fitters forced into a situation together'

anyway it was pretty ok but the guys lazy eye changing sides constantly was extremely infuriating, even moreso when I found out that they seemingly did it intentionally

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Chadzok posted:

something about this movie felt a little throwback to me

Really?? You don’t say

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really drat good movie. Plays a lot of familiar notes, but does so expertly.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Holdovers pro-tip: The soundtrack makes for pretty good holiday music if you need something to play while family is over

Also, god bless this movie for introducing me to Labi Siffre, who kicks rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJQIZq89s0

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 26, 2023

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Absolutely sick movie. I only went into knowing that the lead was debuting and is apparently some kind of acting genius and that it had Paul Giamatti in it. What a wonderful movie. I didn't realize it was gonna be a 70s throw back so the opening and the credit sequence just took me in and set the stage for the kind of movie it was gonna be and it delivered.

I gotta echo the line read on "Of course you meant it metaphorically...What were you going to do, actually go and wash your hands?" was loving killer.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Rewatched this. Such a warm little flick. Love how prevalent, but undiscussed the professional's alcoholism is.

Also yes, Labi is phenomenal. "Bless the Telephone" is a perfect song, one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMMP-T3EF8s

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
We were talking about Christmas movies on and off in this subforum, but this is a perfect New Years Eve film IMO.

Really really good. Played the old tunes but so well, just an excellent script with lovely, believable performances.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
This opened slightly out of season but it was a really fun watch all the same. Will have to try and make it a family Christmas watch alongside muppets...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This was pretty good though I felt a bit too long. Maybe it’s just watching it at home vs theater, but I was feeling the length at times. Overall it’s a familiar story but with a little different flavor and top notch performances and direction. I think I didn’t really fully connected with all the characters, though the soundtrack really does help one feel the vibe at least. Watching Giamatti drop John Adams like bombs again was fun.

Complaint: Giamatti is in that alcohol store in Boston and there’s all these nice looking bottles and he still goes for the Jim Bean. Expand your tastes! (Though for course this a theme). Glad he grabbed the Louis at least.

As for cuts for time: maybe some of other boys. They add some characterization, but you get a lot of that from the three mains together anyways.
Also could probably skip the hooker scene.