Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Problem description: Computer will crash seemingly at random. I'll lose audio & video but fans are still going. Pressing the power button won't shut it down. Holding it down won't do it either. Motherboard has the red CPU light lit up every time it happens. I don't have my computer on all the time so it'll only happen once or twice a week at the moment.

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?
1. Removed CPU heatsink, cleaned everything off, & put it back on
2. Ran a few passes of memtest & that said everything was fine
3. Ran w/ 1 stick of memory in the main slot until it crashed
4. Ran w/ the other stick of memory in the main slot until it crashed
5. Disabled XMP & repeated 3 & 4
6. Replaced 7600X w/ 7700X to test and did 2 - 5 again
7. Replaced corsair rm750e PSU with be quiet dark power 13 and did 2-5 again
8. A few BIOS updates during all of this as new versions came out

Recent changes: It's a new build from July. I've swapped processors and power supplies but I'm still having the same issue.

Operating system: Windows 11

System specs:
Right now I'm using:
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AM5 Motherboard
Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB
G Skill Ripjaws S5 32GB (2 x 16GB) Memory DDR5 6000
Be Quiet Dark Power 13 750W ATX 3.0 PCIe 5.0 PSU
Samsung 980 PRO 2 TB NVMe SSD
Western Digital 6TB Hard Drive

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I don't have any extra memory I can borrow or download but at this point I'm assuming the motherboard is just lying its rear end off with the red cpu light since it and the memory are the only major components I haven't swapped yet. I really want to know why this particular crash can just make my power button stop working though. Also wondering if there's some test I've missed that I could do to avoid having to swap more parts around since this basically happens at random. Wasn't able to force any crashes with memtest or prime95

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Oh man you did great troubleshooting.

First thoughts: chipset controls power switch response. Are you 100% SURE it does not respond to power button? If it 100% does not respond, either the button (unlikely) or the motherboard is at fault, 100%.

Power button is such a low level signal that nearly 99.99999% of the time it's some watchdog chip failing or a solder blob heating up on the board.

If it DOES respond to power it could still be the board, or ram, or power supply, or bios. Wildcard ssd going bad maybe.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php to check the health of both drives.

I think that CPU supports onboard graphics so trying that would be another option to rule out the GPU being an issue.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

down1nit posted:

Oh man you did great troubleshooting.

First thoughts: chipset controls power switch response. Are you 100% SURE it does not respond to power button? If it 100% does not respond, either the button (unlikely) or the motherboard is at fault, 100%.

Power button is such a low level signal that nearly 99.99999% of the time it's some watchdog chip failing or a solder blob heating up on the board.

If it DOES respond to power it could still be the board, or ram, or power supply, or bios. Wildcard ssd going bad maybe.

Yeah it was 100% not responding to any kind of power button presses or holding when it crashed. Swapped the motherboard out and so far so good. Been over a week with no crashes so it looks like this mystery has been solved. Hopefully this post doesn't curse me.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah it's just that tiny little detail that showed what the problem was. Bad luck, but good troubleshooting on your end. If it bites you let us know!