Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Problem description: An HP Inspiron 15 laptop in my house, about six months old, has hit the floor a couple of times. It still works fine, and in particular, the touchscreen monitor is working perfectly. BUT... the black bezel at the bottom left and (as of today) bottom right corners is coming unglued, which makes opening and closing the laptop something of an issue.

When I look down into the gap, I can see some tiny clips that've popped loose on the vertical (which won't reconnect) and some sticky glue that's failing to hold the horizontal in place. I do not see wiring or debris sticking out in there, just a lack of binding.

Attempted fixes: Some duct tape on the OUTSIDE of the problem areas. I have not dared yet to attempt to re-adhesive the problem areas from the inside, as it is either the obvious answer or the dumbfuck answer and I'm not sure which yet. It is a touchscreen, so I need to be careful lest it register touches at all times after botching a repair.

Googling has suggested either superglue (Gorilla Glue being mentioned) or double-sided adhesive tape, one person mentioning heat-resistant tape. If there is a particular brand or type of either recommended for a home hack-job repair, I'm all ears.

Recent changes: Other than watching it get dropped, no.

Operating system: n/a

System specs: HP Inspiron 15

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I do these repairs all the time and they're always annoying. Ideally you'll get the exact part and just swap it in, usually this is pretty expensive labor wise and up to Dell/HP to price the parts well. If you're cheap you can do the JB Weld route (way better than super glue) and clamp the corner overnight. Be careful it does get everywhere. Also I've done modifications where I'll bolt the thing through the lid on really plasticy laptops.

The most popular fix is to do nothing. It's a desktop now. Just don't move it anymore if you can.

Put your Service Tag # here and I can source parts for you if you like. (Or the Model # if it's an HP). If you're handy you can swap it yourself or take it to a local shop after getting a labor quote.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I Googled JB Weld and found a bunch of products. Which one would I want if I feel foolhardy?

Did I really say HP Inspiron in the OP? I am a dumbfuck. It is a Dell Inspiron, Model i3520-5424BLK-PUS. I'll look up more when I get home on Sunday.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
This guy: https://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-weld-twin-tube

It dries a dull grey so any goop that comes out will look bad. It's VERY strong, I've done many repairs with it. Mix it very well, you have time. I mix it for at least a minute.

According to google this is yours: https://www.amazon.com/LTPRPTS-Replacement-Laptop-15-3520-E3520/dp/B0BHWG8K72 that's cheap as hell. Put the Service Tag from the bottom so I can be sure but if that's the one, it should be about $160-$190 or so to fix. Cheaper if you live in a more affordable locale. My google terms were "Inspiron 3520 back cover".

The entire laptop is worth like $350 brand new on eBay, so maybe JB Weld is your buddy. The hinges are still very stiff, and your plastic is still quite thin.