Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

A package arrived yesterday but I didn't have a chance to open it until today! Didn't get a picture of it wrapped, but it was wrapped very nicely with a bow and everything:

Thank you Santa! I'm a big fan of Tenth of December, so I can't wait to sink my teeth into this!

Quite welcome, although all credit for the wrapping job goes to the staff at the Strand.

I probably should read Tenth of December one of these days, as it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Well, this is a surprise!

Along with the books, I have an art print, a postcard, and two comix.

And, uh, this thing.

Thank you, GP! I really got quite the haul this year.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Arrgghhh I can't believe you're showing everyone my dreadful handwriting

You're super welcome, I hope you enjoy your haul! Happy Booksmas!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Cheer sent. Separate packages which all should arrive by Saturday.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
omg my package has arrived and did i win the lottery or what, look at all these gifts

I got excited and opened the box, but now that i see there are a bunch of individually wrapped(!) things, I am going to wait till christmas day to open them :D

thank you!!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Glad that it arrived in time. I hope you like books!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I just opened my TBB gift! With festive paper:

And a mysterious non-book item, along with a letter:

A notebook and a cool woodblock print! I really didn't expect anything like this, and I'm delighted. I'll have to get a nice frame for the print and some interesting thoughts for the notebook.

The books inside were individually wrapped and cheerfully unwrapped, and it's a neat assortment:

The only one of these I've even heard of is The Castle of Otranto, which I haven't read, so I'm excited to dig in. Thank you so much, Chip! What wonderful surprises!

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

Epic haul! Thank you so much! It came wrapped in this cloth and has a neat pendant and a fun take on tarot alongside the books. So much Christmas hype, thanks again!

Edit: what precisely is the little medallion?

Agrinja fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 23, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Agrinja posted:

Epic haul! Thank you so much! It came wrapped in this cloth and has a neat pendant and a fun take on tarot alongside the books. So much Christmas hype, thanks again!

His name is...well we don't speak of it out loud lest, erm. I've said too much.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Agrinja posted:

The medallion is a bit of a mystery. I found it in a drawer in an old table.

There should be one more book coming from amazon.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
That's awesome, thank you. Trying to search about the medallion, it looks Persian but coopted by Christians. Crown of the Magi.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
I broke my camera but I just got a copy of Daemonologie - King James, and I love this stuff thank you so much. Merry Christmas y'all?

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank
An absolutely huge pile of books from Santa here - thank you very much! I've read none of these (unless very long past me read the fighting fantasy book and if I did, I'm gonna read it again). These all sound great from the blurbs.

Also - Merry Xmas everyone :-)

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?

Major Ryan posted:

An absolutely huge pile of books from Santa here - thank you very much! I've read none of these (unless very long past me read the fighting fantasy book and if I did, I'm gonna read it again). These all sound great from the blurbs.

Also - Merry Xmas everyone :-)

I hope you enjoy them! They are all "fantasy", of different sorts. I'm especially curious to hear what you make of the Library at Mt Char; some friends loved it, others bounced off hard.

Regardless, merry Christmas!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Dear Secret Santa,

I must have been very good this year because you sent me books that can me measured by pounds!

I asked for weird, and you sent The Weird, the recent anthology edited by the VanderMeers, which is a veritable doorstopper of a book!

And then you sent White Noise by Don DeLillo. Why is this one weird? Well, remember that train that derailed in eastern Ohio this year? This book kind of told that story, 30 years ago!

Both books I have wanted to read. And read them I shall! Many thanks Secret Santa! You really outdid yourself this year

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I feel like I buy White Noise for someone at least once a year, it's my favorite so I was very glad to see it on your "want to read" list. Enjoy!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
books! and chocolate! and music!

so excited for these, i've read nothing from vietnam so that will be another check off my country list (currently at 36) and blank verse? hell yah. I also have never seen anything like humament before O_O, this looks loving amazingly cool and exactly my kind of thing. petersburg i also have not heard of and looks rad, i love russian lit! the bolaño i have read, but i love this cover so much im excited to have this copy. and chocolate!
what is the story behind the cd? i haven't listened yet. a favorite of yours?

thank you!!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Thank you Santa!

This looks great!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

derp posted:

petersburg i also have not heard of and looks rad, i love russian lit!
Bely kicks rear end. I thought about sending a whole box of his stuff with The Dramatic Symphony, The Silver Dove, and Kotik Letaev as well, but it would have been way too expensive to mail-order the others. Please read them when you can, though; Kotik Letaev especially is a trip and a half.

derp posted:

the bolaño i have read, but i love this cover so much im excited to have this copy.
I was afraid of that. I knew you liked him, but I was gambling that you'd only read The Savage Detectives and 2666. Glad that this edition is at least an upgrade.

derp posted:

what is the story behind the cd? i haven't listened yet. a favorite of yours?
Yeah, it's a top-ten album for me, probably top-five.

derp posted:

thank you!!
Merry Christmas!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Thank you Santa!

This looks great!

I hope it hits that spot! The clerk at my local shop and I debated over three candidate selections and settled on that (although I would have read any of the three) as the best option. That it had snowfall on the cover sealed the deal as the "coolest" book!

(Also the "hint" of dinosaurs was rendered moot by UPS!)

Merry Christmas, I hope the book will sit well on your newly slimmed down babby proof book shelves

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Opopanax posted:

I feel like I buy White Noise for someone at least once a year, it's my favorite so I was very glad to see it on your "want to read" list. Enjoy!

I'm even more excited to read it now, with such an excellent recommendation. Merry Christmas!

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Antivehicular posted:

The only one of these I've even heard of is The Castle of Otranto, which I haven't read, so I'm excited to dig in. Thank you so much, Chip! What wonderful surprises!

You're welcome! I hope you enjoy them all, I know I have!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Santa came a day late, but I suppose we can forgive the old fellow with all he has to do these days.

Thanks! Camp Damascus was on my list of stuff to keep an eye out for, and the other book looks interesting as well.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Santa came!

After an inspection by Officer Gaeul, the package was opened.

I don't know who Santa was, but thank you so much!

Two bits of Southern gothic in "Provinces of Night" by William Gay, and then "Other Voices, Other Rooms" by Truman Capote. Then your personal recommendation of "The Loser" by Thomas Bernhard, a book that's been on my radar for a while but never came to the surface. Now I'll definitely be reading it.

Thank you so much!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

cryptoclastic posted:

Santa came!

After an inspection by Officer Gaeul, the package was opened.

I don't know who Santa was, but thank you so much!

Two bits of Southern gothic in "Provinces of Night" by William Gay, and then "Other Voices, Other Rooms" by Truman Capote. Then your personal recommendation of "The Loser" by Thomas Bernhard, a book that's been on my radar for a while but never came to the surface. Now I'll definitely be reading it.

Thank you so much!

yay! that book (the loser) healed me at a hard time in my life (which may seem baffling when you read it) and, that's my own personal copy that i read years ago, now passing on to you :) i hope you like it, and the others as well! :)

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

derp posted:

yay! that book (the loser) healed me at a hard time in my life (which may seem baffling when you read it) and, that's my own personal copy that i read years ago, now passing on to you :) i hope you like it, and the others as well! :)

Thank you! I’ll keep that in mind. This year has been a hell of a year so it might be helpful for me in that case.

Dr. Activisionary
Oct 20, 2013

Books I received from Numbuh 212, thanks!

Numbuh 212
Feb 19, 2013

Dr. Activisionary posted:

Books I received from Numbuh 212, thanks!

You're welcome! I tried to pick some of the most interesting/unusual fantasy I've read recently. I hope you like them!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

I got...books! I think these are my Secret Santa gifts, they arrived separately but I certainly don't remember ordering them. And they all look cool, I've never heard of any of the three!

I also don't know who sent these, so, thanks mystery person!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I got...books! I think these are my Secret Santa gifts, they arrived separately but I certainly don't remember ordering them. And they all look cool, I've never heard of any of the three!

I also don't know who sent these, so, thanks mystery person!

I haven't read any but reviews assured me these were all weird, also they're all Australian authors so spreading the love to places local literature doesn't often reach, and From the Wreck is set not too far from where I live. Hope they're good!

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

NTRabbit posted:

I haven't read any but reviews assured me these were all weird, also they're all Australian authors so spreading the love to places local literature doesn't often reach, and From the Wreck is set not too far from where I live. Hope they're good!

Awesome, thank you so much! I can't wait to get started on them! Happy booksmas!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jordan7hm posted:

A package showed up at my place today, though I’m going to hold off opening it for another week.

Extremely late posting this (sorry!) but very happy to have received this generous package from Major Ryan.

I had some help opening the packages. :)

Three stone cold classics of SF that I'm excited to dig into this month. I've already started and am a good way through The Demolished Man, and it's living up to my high expectations from having read The Stars My Destination last year.

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Jordan7hm posted:

Extremely late posting this (sorry!) but very happy to have received this generous package from Major Ryan.

I had some help opening the packages. :)

Three stone cold classics of SF that I'm excited to dig into this month. I've already started and am a good way through The Demolished Man, and it's living up to my high expectations from having read The Stars My Destination last year.

You're very welcome - I'm glad you're enjoying them!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
With all presents posted, I've updated the first page with a recap. Thank you all for participating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sham bam bamina! posted:

With all presents posted, I've updated the first page with a recap. Thank you all for participating!

And thank YOU Sham bam bamina! for once again expertly running the Secret Santa for TBB. We all very much appreciate your hard efforts!