Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've been learning some crude data science / data analysis stuff in my job, but I think it would be really helpful for my career to take it more seriously and git gud. At this point I'm decent with Excel, know a schmear of R, use ChatGPT to write Python I can use, and am getting familiar with Postgres. There are a litany of online courses out there, but I'm curious if people have had better experiences with one or another. Work will pay for this so money is no object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wah

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 22, 2024

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

I would suggest a long-term project you can spend a couple hours a week tinkering around with to build your skills. Find a data source with an API connection you can connect to, integrate your script with Github and build a dashboard or something with visualizations you can produce as an end product to take with you in interviews. Do the same thing with an SQL database connection. Get good at explaining what you are doing to people who don't have domain experience. There are probably things at work you can automate too.

Try not to use ChatGPT. Not saying it can't be a good tool but as you're learning it is more of a crutch to stand on you don't need.

R for Data Science is a solid book. Posit has a lot of good resources
https://r4ds.had.co.nz/

Shats Basoon fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 21, 2023

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I've been learning some crude data science / data analysis stuff in my job, but I think it would be really helpful for my career to take it more seriously and git gud. At this point I'm decent with Excel, know a schmear of R, use ChatGPT to write Python I can use, and am getting familiar with Postgres. There are a litany of online courses out there, but I'm curious if people have had better experiences with one or another. Work will pay for this so money is no object.

Hey so this is a great question. The quick answer to this is build as much stuff as you can. Answering questions from data, building dashboards, running experiments, building models are all good things to look into. Both these paths are pretty self-starting, so having experience doing as much as possible will serve you well in your career and your day-to-day duties. If work is paying, you may as well get the best certs you can from Microsoft, Amazon, Google, or a degree from a good university if you have time.

In more detail, both data scientists (DS) and data analysts (DA) work with data but the skills they use and the goals they work towards tends to be different. This varies considerably across orgs and industries so YMMV. Some orgs use the titles interchangeably, if that's the case then usually everyone is an analyst.

DAs tend to be "business-focused". They answer questions for stakeholders, whether ad-hoc or regularly like building a dashboard. The tools they use tend to be most impacted by how complex the business is. Less complex sticks with spreadsheets, maybe a graphic or two. More complex means you're querying databases or data warehouses, building complicated dashboards with Tableau, even doing some data modeling (organizing data stores). Some usual pitfalls of being a DA are sometimes having less autonomy, and that you're an in-between to business and tech - companies have a tough time dealing with this sort of organizational stuff a lot.

DSs tend to be more focused on bringing something to operation. Think designing an experiment, answering a complicated statistical question, or building a model to predict something on-the-fly. DS also sometimes include methods of data collection. Most notably is it seems like DS has the highest expectation of autonomy. They write code, queries, and systems focusing on things happening automatically. The downside of being a true data scientist is its hard dealing with everyone's expectations that data science is magic or fluff (there's no in-between)

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 24, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think the easiest and surest thing to learn is SQL. There’s an inordinate number of good jobs that will pay you for the relatively straightforward skill of understanding how to get data out of a database. I’m baffled by how many well-paid data analysts I know whose first contact with SQL was two weeks before their job interview.

Python and R enable you to do bigger stuff, but you’ll forget them very quickly if you don’t use them. Also they’re just much harder.

That said if work is paying for it, you might as well get a whole-rear end data science degree. You can take them online at places like Berkeley and Michigan. Georgia Tech is inexpensive and good, in case cost matters. You’ll learn all of the above stuff — and more — from an actual degree program.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I dabble a little in data analysis, mainly HR related. Currently getting my master’s degree in business Intelligence as well.

Start with SQL (Any flavor will do) and then focus on Python. R is great, I prefer it over Python but in a business setting they only use python mainly.

After that Learn Power BI (DAX + Power Query as well).

It’s very important to have basic statistical knowledge because that is the main way you are going to get conclusions from your data that you can later pass on to management. Understanding and testing regressions is fundamental and how to explain the results as if the person were 5 years old.

Dashboards should always be simple, make sure there are lots of white spaces, so the eyes get pulled to relevant KPIs. Most important info on top always. (One Dashboard should only have max 4 graphs, or 2 graphs and some KPIs).

KPIs are only good if they are monitored.

I learned most programming from DataCamp and Udemy.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Vegetable posted:

I think the easiest and surest thing to learn is SQL. There’s an inordinate number of good jobs that will pay you for the relatively straightforward skill of understanding how to get data out of a database. I’m baffled by how many well-paid data analysts I know whose first contact with SQL was two weeks before their job interview.

Just tag me.

All of my SQL has been learned on the job after getting the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Motorola 68000 posted:

I dabble a little in data analysis, mainly HR related. Currently getting my master’s degree in business Intelligence as well.

Start with SQL (Any flavor will do) and then focus on Python. R is great, I prefer it over Python but in a business setting they only use python mainly.

After that Learn Power BI (DAX + Power Query as well).

It’s very important to have basic statistical knowledge because that is the main way you are going to get conclusions from your data that you can later pass on to management. Understanding and testing regressions is fundamental and how to explain the results as if the person were 5 years old.

Dashboards should always be simple, make sure there are lots of white spaces, so the eyes get pulled to relevant KPIs. Most important info on top always. (One Dashboard should only have max 4 graphs, or 2 graphs and some KPIs).

KPIs are only good if they are monitored.

I learned most programming from DataCamp and Udemy.

This is pretty similar to my path. I took my classes via the free Microsoft Data Analytics courses they had online.

I'm constantly surprised at how rare this skill still is. Even in pretty sophisticated organizations, you pull together some data from 2 or 3 sources that don't usually interact and it will blow minds.