Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
ly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
avatar the last airbender? many are saying he's an air "win" der

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Scavengers Reign owns

https://i.imgur.com/a9f5r3i.mp4

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Scavengers Reign is so good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Been meaning to watch that but I don't have HBO at the moment. Hardly a setback but I'm lazy right now.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
is this the scott pilgrim thread

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
SPTO is real anime, tho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

avatar's fine but so many random people talk about it like its the peak of fiction and its weird

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Avatar has the fortune of having a good sense of character arcs and some smart writing decisions. Toph and Iroh are really good takes on the "side character who's stronger than the main character" thing. And while not every character is S-tier like those two, there's a sort of attentiveness even to the less interesting characters. Like, nobody remembers loving Pakku but even he has a trackable arc and conclusion.

Most people watched it as kids and aren't necessarily big animation fans as adults so even being decently competent and thematically coherent rockets it to "best cartoon ever" status for a lot of people.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 18, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Endorph posted:

avatar's fine but so many random people talk about it like its the peak of fiction and its weird

guy whos never seen a fun adventure anime watching avatar: holy poo poo this freaking deleted anime

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

mycot posted:

Avatar has the fortune of having a good sense of character arcs and some smart writing decisions. Toph and Iroh are really good takes on the "side character who's stronger than the main character" thing. And while not every character is S-tier like those two, there's a sort of attentiveness even to the less interesting characters. Like, nobody remembers loving Pakku but even he has a trackable arc and conclusion.

yeah there arent really weak characters or fail arcs. its a great show front to back and, i think something that puts it over many adventure anime, it doesnt overstay its welcome at all. the story Finishes.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

how come they didn't let korra ever win any real fights by herself

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
korra had a lot of problems yeah. they never put her over as a freakin badass like aang or toph imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

to be fair even with her constantly getting owned all the time everyone was still yelling about her being a mary sue so there was really no winning

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The year Kill la Kill and Korra were running at the same time was an absolutely dire time for female protagonist posting

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
they should have given korra a talking muscle shirt

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Blue-Eyed Samurai on netflix is not an anime but it is a good 3D action animation set in Japan. At least so far. I've only finished the first two episodes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Witcher Nightmare of the Wolf wasn't great but it had some decent scenes and it was better than three quarters of the Witcher stuff on Netflix.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Sindai posted:

Blue-Eyed Samurai on netflix is not an anime but it is a good 3D action animation set in Japan. At least so far. I've only finished the first two episodes.

I tried the first episode of that, and the fights were incredible, but the writing... brutally unsubtle to the point of being painful to watch.

I think I might stick with it- because again, those fights are really loving good- but oof.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

yeah there arent really weak characters or fail arcs. its a great show front to back and, i think something that puts it over many adventure anime, it doesnt overstay its welcome at all. the story Finishes.

i liked avatar a lot when i first watched it because of this, i think - it's consistent and it ends pretty much when it needs to.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

One of the most beautiful things to come out in years. It's one of those shows that I'm gonna be thinking about for a long time.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

:gas:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I keep seeing this "Radiant" on Mangadex all the time which as far as I can tell is a french comic inspired by shounen. Anyone read it?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Blue Eye Samurai was incredibly awesome. I binged the whole thing without pausing.
Episode 6 was the standout to me. You can even watch that one without much context.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I tried the first episode of that, and the fights were incredible, but the writing... brutally unsubtle to the point of being painful to watch.

I think I might stick with it- because again, those fights are really loving good- but oof.

I feel the writing got better. For example, Akemi starts just as some woman but is surprisingly really cool.
But yeah, it's 17th century Japan. Not much space for subtlety back then. Honestly, most people from that period kind of sucked.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Meme Emulator posted:

I keep seeing this "Radiant" on Mangadex all the time which as far as I can tell is a french comic inspired by shounen. Anyone read it?

Radiant is incredibly solid. I wouldn't be surprised because Seth is a shonen protagonist through and through; although I haven't read any of Tony Valiente's comments at the end of volumes. The story has very strong character writing, worldbuilding, and gorgeous art; focusing on a setting where magic users are stigmatized by the world at large as they are seen as mutants and freaks as they are the result of surviving contact with alien-like creatures. The story definitely leans into some comparisons to real life politics and social climates but in a way that isn't obvious but is very apparent during the Rumble Town arc. I really do enjoy the main cast as all the characters have a lot of personality and interplay between each other. But the story also has really good antagonists which I think a fair number of stories don't execute the best on. Radiant is also a story that is always moving forward, I could see some comparisons to the plot of avatar with this idea especially when the current arc is comparable to the fire season where we get to see how people living in the capital of the inquisition are taught and live. But unlike the fire nation of avatar, these people are plagued by a terrorist group of radical infected who view themselves as the next step of evolution Magneto style and slaughter civilians and soldiers alike whenever they strike.

All in all, I'd strongly recommend reading Radiant.

do it on my face
Feb 6, 2005
°

don't have anything to contribute to the thread, I just can't see the title without thinking about this and have to get it out of my head

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
thats a good panel

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Thunderbolt Fantasy "ftw", OP.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Weed Wolf posted:

Thunderbolt Fantasy "ftw", OP.

many are saying this..

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

atlas p good, i should finish it.....

tho for korra i only ever saw s1 like 10 years ago and it was ok but there was like a bajillion subplots going on?? korra the chars neat tho

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

avatar the last airbender? many are saying he's an air "win" der

I was too busy having hot sex0rz with men to watch this. Goodbye.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

if thunderbolt fantasy counts as anime then so does tokusatsu. and akibaranger is the best of them all

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Steven Universe is very good and filled with nods to anime. The movie has a rubber hose character with a gurren lagann drill.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ccs posted:

Steven Universe is very good and filled with nods to anime. The movie has a rubber hose character with a gurren lagann drill.

[record scratch]

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
scissor seven is fun

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Congratulations

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

[record scratch]

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

dusty rear end bitch.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Ibram Gaunt posted:

When you were watching cartoons, I studied the peen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I ranked first in my class for the peen exams.