Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

nesamdoom posted:

Also, Mani could you shoot me info on how you made that in case I figure out the details on how to make my sig work as a game? I can't do 3d, but I'm now really wanting a BYOB chess and I can maybe program it into the thing I made my other games with in 2d. maybe with effort(months) I could do it with Source.

are you asking about how I made your sig? I used blender, don't know if you're familiar with blender but it's an insanely powerful free open source 3d program. blender does not have a built in game engine per se, but it is used by a bunch of people for making game assets and the like. so for example the "pieces" on the board, with work, I might be able to turn into files that could be used in another program (e.g. unreal, unity, godot, hell I don't know from game engines unfortunately)

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Snuff Melange posted:

Version 1:
https://i.imgur.com/xDqK6a9.mp4
Version 2:
https://i.imgur.com/aGXNRlX.mp4

Hope you like one or the other!

e: I forgot to attribute the pixel artist: https://inspirational.moer.tel/post/619251977997762560

also these are amazing, nice work!

ty nesamdoom!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

does transparency work on stuff. I dig the tilted one that looks like a card. I just keep finding out new things from sig threads.

Manifisto posted:

are you asking about how I made your sig? I used blender, don't know if you're familiar with blender but it's an insanely powerful free open source 3d program. blender does not have a built in game engine per se, but it is used by a bunch of people for making game assets and the like. so for example the "pieces" on the board, with work, I might be able to turn into files that could be used in another program (e.g. unreal, unity, godot, hell I don't know from game engines unfortunately)

I have Blender but am just not good at making stuff. I made a thread about my idea. I do know there's conversions and I have made assets for games(not 3d) and have dealt with like skin maps and such, just nowhere near doing this kind of things.

Manifisto

nesamdoom posted:

does transparency work on stuff. I dig the tilted one that looks like a card. I just keep finding out new things from sig threads.

transparency is one of those topics that is unfortunately way more complicated than one might like (and, disclaimer, I don't fully understand it myself).

I typed up a lot of stuff but the short answer is, maybe you can get what you need by using the APNG file format

this is not the full sig, just a proof of concept

there may be some simple way to make this happen but the only way I could figure out to do it was very cumbersome, involving converting the mp4 video into a sequence of still images using GIMP, then for each frame image manually adding transparency and saving as a png format file, then uploading the sequence of png files to ezgif.com and using their "create APNG" function to make the video

maybe someone knows of a tool (preferably a free one!) that would make this process easier lol.

e: also for reference this one has just 3 frames and is almost a megabyte, you will not get nice image compression using APNG, though perhaps there are some tricks

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 8, 2024

ty nesamdoom!

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Manifisto posted:

transparency is one of those topics that is unfortunately way more complicated than one might like (and, disclaimer, I don't fully understand it myself).

I typed up a lot of stuff but the short answer is, maybe you can get what you need by using the APNG file format

this is not the full sig, just a proof of concept

there may be some simple way to make this happen but the only way I could figure out to do it was very cumbersome, involving converting the mp4 video into a sequence of still images using GIMP, then for each frame image manually adding transparency and saving as a png format file, then uploading the sequence of png files to ezgif.com and using their "create APNG" function to make the video

maybe someone knows of a tool (preferably a free one!) that would make this process easier lol.

e: also for reference this one has just 3 frames and is almost a megabyte, you will not get nice image compression using APNG, though perhaps there are some tricks

I've used them(ezgif) lately to fix timing because photoshop would put out gifs that were slower than should. I love sig threads because I learn new stuff doing them and can catch cool ideas. I never heard of APNG so that's something to check. I still have done alil more for a gif from steamboat willy of the cut with the bird laugh and it's ten frames so not a lot to work with as far as the loop goes. DSP wanted to steal it and gently caress yea. I don't know what to do with it, but I wanna make it easy to go from if anyone has an idea. not everyone works like i do and i only get poo poo done when the mood and ideas hit together. I'm impressed by people that can actually just do work without the kick I have to have before I even have an idea.

Zoya

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Manifisto posted:

[transparency snip]

the easiest tool for a lot of stuff like this is usually ezgif, yeah, it's a real treasure

a lot of gif editing i do is cracking open a gif into its composite frames with ezgif, editing all the frames, then recompiling them into a gif with ezgif -- i believe it works with apng as well, though there are a few downsides to apng (mostly filesize, also some apps/browsers still don't play nice with apngs since it's never been widely adopted and as such only display the first frame)

thank you snuff melange for the beautiful winter siggy~!

Manifisto

Zoya posted:

the easiest tool for a lot of stuff like this is usually ezgif, yeah, it's a real treasure

a lot of gif editing i do is cracking open a gif into its composite frames with ezgif, editing all the frames, then recompiling them into a gif with ezgif -- i believe it works with apng as well, though there are a few downsides to apng (mostly filesize, also some apps/browsers still don't play nice with apngs since it's never been widely adopted and as such only display the first frame)

gimp is actually very useful for editing gifs specifically, however it lacks some of the cool features and time saving benefits of ezgif (though ezgif seems quite cumbersome for some things). I agree that apng is hardly a perfect solution, but it overcomes some of the very annoying limitations of the gif format.

webp might be an alternative (ezgif also lets you create webp images). imgur does not like webp. however it looks like you can host webp images on freeimage.host:

. . . and actually, that one is 137k as opposed to 975k for the APNG one. and it looks like sa actually supports it inline, so honestly I'm glad this question was asked, this looks like a colorable alternative for sigs perhaps.

e: ooh GIMP can export webp as animation, that rules now that I've figured out an image host that can serve the files

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 8, 2024

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

oooh using webp you can actually control the display size of the sig on SA, unlike with mp4 videos

honestly it doesn't reduce the filesize as much as mp4, but it's a very good thing to know about

ty nesamdoom!

RavenousScoot

I tried messing around with some ideas for gag and sloth the other day and got nothing I liked, so thanks for getting sloth, nesam

tonight, I changed direction from my usual and made a sloppy animated doodle featuring butts I think could be made into something for you, GaG, but uh, I submit the rough rough preliminary before I keep going in case you don't like it
or have any input on how you want it to progress?

( ^these will be yetis^ )

THANK YOU NESAM :^))
Previous:

code:
https://i.imgur.com/1rh8sdW.mp4 - manifisto
https://i.imgur.com/DeyYjwj.mp4 - vanisher
Manifisto

RavenousScoot posted:

I tried messing around with some ideas for gag and sloth the other day and got nothing I liked, so thanks for getting sloth, nesam

tonight, I changed direction from my usual and made a sloppy animated doodle featuring butts I think could be made into something for you, GaG, but uh, I submit the rough rough preliminary before I keep going in case you don't like it

oh my god

ty nesamdoom!

Zoya

Manifisto posted:

gimp is actually very useful for editing gifs specifically, however it lacks some of the cool features and time saving benefits of ezgif (though ezgif seems quite cumbersome for some things). I agree that apng is hardly a perfect solution, but it overcomes some of the very annoying limitations of the gif format.

webp might be an alternative (ezgif also lets you create webp images). imgur does not like webp. however it looks like you can host webp images on freeimage.host:

. . . and actually, that one is 137k as opposed to 975k for the APNG one. and it looks like sa actually supports it inline, so honestly I'm glad this question was asked, this looks like a colorable alternative for sigs perhaps.

e: ooh GIMP can export webp as animation, that rules now that I've figured out an image host that can serve the files

hmmmmm

as much as i resent the .webp file extension

i must admit that it does tick a lot of boxes here

it even autoplays like a normal gif in the android Awful app, unlike mp4s using the [url] tag

Dumb Sex-Parrot

RavenousScoot posted:

holy moley lmao :eyepop:

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

Stoner Sloth

nesamdoom posted:

If nobody beats me to it before I'm sober enough, how stoned of a sloth do you want? I'm kinda feeling a fully falling out of the tree into a pile of snow and as questionably as I can do it, there could still be a better idea/effort.
E: did miss case day... but I could also do it a properly seasoned for the, probably accurate, better hemisphere.

lol i'm pretty much fine with whatever you come up with - a byob winter summer one would be rad but also happy for snow drifts or whatever and the answer is usually 'pretty darn stoned'.

a sloth fishing or relaxing on the beach might be nice but am sure i'll love whatever you go with! :unsmith:

RavenousScoot

I was excited to finish :^x

I was gonna do a background or something, but wanted to play with transparency using all the advice from above

(I made this in firealpaca, which actually apparently exports apng, but it kept hosting as a still image, so I put the frames in gimp to make a webp)

e: I had the frames in reverse in gimp... reuploaded

RavenousScoot fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 10, 2024

Previous:

code:
nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

I've been drinking for a day or so but I'm working on the sig, just got distracted by taking some naps. I'll have it done before the weekend, sorry about the delay.

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Stoner Sloth

nesamdoom posted:

I've been drinking for a day or so but I'm working on the sig, just got distracted by taking some naps. I'll have it done before the weekend, sorry about the delay.

no worries at all mate, and thank you!

Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

Thanks for making that transparent like was intended, Manifisto. I was testing with a few tools but kept finding other white pixels removed and didn't have time to get it working right :)

Goons Are Gifts, still interested in making you a sig but I've been intimidated by your avatar.....for several reasons. Maybe taking a swing after work today, but nobody skip GAG just because I said that! I might be slow or not follow through

Zoya

RavenousScoot posted:

I was gonna do a background or something, but wanted to play with transparency using all the advice from above

(I made this in firealpaca, which actually apparently exports apng, but it kept hosting as a still image, so I put the frames in gimp to make a webp)

that's so fuckin good

Manifisto

Zoya posted:

that's so fuckin good

it really is, it's fantastic

ty nesamdoom!

RavenousScoot

Zoya posted:

that's so fuckin good

Manifisto posted:

it really is, it's fantastic

thank you :peanut:

Previous:

code:
Snuff Melange

...some men,
you just can't reach.

lmao just logging back in now, I can't believe I missed that gold earlier. godspeed, Goons Are Gifts, amazing work Scoot

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Just an update. Have been plugging away at this sig since earlier. I'm pretty sure I did something the hardest way I could, but it should be done this afternoon.

E:

nesamdoom fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 11, 2024

Stoner Sloth

nesamdoom posted:

Just an update. Have been plugging away at this sig since earlier. I'm pretty sure I did something the hardest way I could, but it should be done this afternoon.

E:

sorry it took me awhile to notice because weed but this sig is great! thank you friend! :unsmith:

Stoner Sloth

testes, testes, 1, 2, 3

e: hell yeah, also figured out how to retrieve the two missing sigs!!

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Goons Are Gifts

RavenousScoot posted:

Oh my god!! THANK YOU this is so good!!!

Goons Are Gifts

Snuff Melange posted:

Thanks for making that transparent like was intended, Manifisto. I was testing with a few tools but kept finding other white pixels removed and didn't have time to get it working right :)

Goons Are Gifts, still interested in making you a sig but I've been intimidated by your avatar.....for several reasons. Maybe taking a swing after work today, but nobody skip GAG just because I said that! I might be slow or not follow through

Feel free to make something at any point, I highly appreciate anything, big or small, made for me, no matter how many or few sigs, avs, gangtags or custom titles someone makes, I collect them all in my cloud storage and safe them for all eternity andd put them into my profile at the very very least for one season, often longer! So, if you feel inspired, I'm so excited to see whatever you come up with!!!

Goons Are Gifts

i look SEXY thanks to you!!

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
id love a sig - but iff you are too busy, i'd love a sax emoji instead.

LIKE THIS! :sax:

Rags to Liches

future skeleton soldier

I'll happily take a sig, something chill and zen! or whatever you have time to make!

Manifisto

updated OFFICIAL LIST OF SIG REQUests
  • Barking Gecko - completed by nesamdoom
  • Saoshyant - completed by Manifisto
  • Areola Grande - completed by Justa Dandelion
  • Justa Dandelion - completed by RavenousScoot
  • RavenousScoot - completed by Manifisto
  • Manifisto - completed by nesamdoom
  • nesamdoom - completed by Manifisto
  • Zoya - complted by Snuff Melange
  • Stoner Sloth - completed by nesamdoom
  • Goons Are Gifts - completed by RavenousScoot
  • Thunder Moose -
  • Rags to Liches -

somethow it's still winter, and there are still winter sigs to be made! I will work on Thunder Moose I guess.

ty nesamdoom!

nut

RavenousScoot posted:

so good

Sepharo

EARTH! FIRE! WIND! WATER!

nesamdoom posted:

E:

nice job

sassypotassium

Am I too late to the winter sig party? Because I'd like one.
Would be my first sig ever actually and you never forget your first :frogbon:

awesome winter sig by Saoshyant

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )

sassypotassium posted:

Aww bless :kimchi:

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

sassypotassium posted:

Well, I had an idea that sounded funnier in my head than how it probably turned out, but you be the judge:

I can try and do something else if you give me a few pointers.

sassypotassium

Saoshyant posted:

Well, I had an idea that sounded funnier in my head than how it probably turned out, but you be the judge:

I love it. Thank you so much! It feels weird to have an internet stranger make something for you; never happened before. Super happy :peanut:

awesome winter sig by Saoshyant

nesamdoom

nesaM killed Masen

Saoshyant posted:

Congrats on your first sig.

I love sig seasons and when I can I make some stuff. I've been collecting mine and it's always awesome making/getting them. Come to the future ones and keep getting cool ppl to make cool things.

Also, Manifisto I'm still loving the poo poo outta my winter sig. I should make a page on my site to just host my sig list. The babydude loves cool stuff and will chill and watch my sigs while I tab out

https://i.imgur.com/1qBoiAi.mp4

Manifisto - 2023,Ass-penny - 2023,Saoshyant - 2023,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2022,Manifisto - 2018,Pot Smoke Phoenix - 2021
Dumb Sex-Parrot
I was thinking about making a winter sig for myself, but that feels kind of self indulgent. May I have a sig please? :worship:

thank you Saoshyantx4, Plant MONSTER. and deep dish peat moss for the excellent signature

I. M. Gei

CHIEFS

BITCH

I know this is a thread for sigs but are any of yall willing to do an avatar request? Or know someone who is?

I don't know where else to ask

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

I. M. Gei posted:

I know this is a thread for sigs but are any of yall willing to do an avatar request? Or know someone who is?

I don't know where else to ask

We actually used to have a thread for that, but it's been dead for too long, so feel free to shoot your request here and see if anyone picks it up. I might do it if it's not anything too time consuming.

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot