Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's a million things, from texting Mom to redneck idiot to "Hey I'm a big truck, I should try and pass on this two lane road as we go up this big hill!"

My 2 "favorite" little things:

1 The "Slowdown to pass" - somehow this person slows down when passing on the highway, nearly matching the speed of the vehicle (or more likely, truck) being passed. Before and after passing, their speed will increase 5-10 MPH.

2. Non highway, single lane each way but big country route. Like, it's well maintained with a speed limit of 50MPH. Late night, or early morning, and there's barely anyone on the road. And yet this one car pulls out in front of you (when it could have just waited another 15-30 seconds) and then goes slow as gently caress. There's no one behind you, and yet, here you are, hitting your breaks to slow down.

As I'm sure we are all excellent drivers, please share observations about those bad ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I'm a bad driver I'll admit it right now

I keep my rear end in the right hand lane where it belongs
and I absolutely try to help people merge onto the freeway.

What I detest is people in the right hand lane with their cruise control on [I assume] that will not loving budge when I'm desperately trying to merge on to I-5 in my gutless Honda Fit....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Spinz posted:

I'm a bad driver I'll admit it right now

I keep my rear end in the right hand lane where it belongs
and I absolutely try to help people merge onto the freeway.

What I detest is people in the right hand lane with their cruise control on [I assume] that will not loving budge when I'm desperately trying to merge on to I-5 in my gutless Honda Fit....

You know, I'd give you a gold medal for self awareness, which is super important in driving (and in life). Thank you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I was driving to the airport at 4am a week ago and there was a conspiracy to make me turn off cruise control as much as possible by people wanting to pass a truck going the speed limit by going the speed limit +2.

I suppose that's better than driving to the airport at 4am two weeks ago when I saw someone presumably fall asleep as they cut across 3 lanes of traffic and crashed into the median.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Any time there is an Altima near me, especially the early 2000s models, I give it a very wide berth, because you're probably about to see the driver do the dumbest poo poo you've ever witnessed.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
90% of truck owners should never be allowed to drive a truck.

I live in Texas, this percentage is accurate.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

everyone driving slower than me is an idiot, and everyone driving faster than me is a maniac imo

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

a few years ago someone honked at me because I didn't go through a yellow light when it was downpouring and and getting dark

which is funny because if I would have barely made it, they would have just been basically going through a red light

only dickheads assume that the car in front of them is going to speed through a yellow

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
had 3 cars totaled by other people running into me, all their fault. one rear-ending and another red light blowing were the particularly egregious accidents

and then i drove big truck/trailer setups working in the trades and got a healthy respect for the roads doing that

i could bitch all day

nobody really respects the idea of following distances and finding a good flow on the highways. its all weighed up against some opportunity cost bullshit of "i could be driving faster and this person isn't it"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Shinjobi posted:

90% of truck owners should never be allowed to drive a truck.

I live in Texas, this percentage is accurate.

they should be charged triple for everything vehicle related, unless the vehicle is for commercial use (then double is fine)

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 18, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I go the speed limit, my mirrors are adjusted properly for blind spots, and I use my signals. I know what you're thinking, "what a badass."

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Toxic Mental posted:

a few years ago someone honked at me because I didn't go through a yellow light when it was downpouring and and getting dark

which is funny because if I would have barely made it, they would have just been basically going through a red light

only dickheads assume that the car in front of them is going to speed through a yellow

Depends on how close you are and your speed!. Slamming on the brakes can sometimes be the worst thing to do.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

On a residential road someone nearly hit a car while going well above the speed limit. Was behind them a few blocks later in light traffic and they were swerving back and forth in their lane like someone jumping up and down waiting to join a multiplayer game. Dunno if they were drunk as it was before noon but maybe?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Depends on how close you are and your speed!. Slamming on the brakes can sometimes be the worst thing to do.

nah I wasn't going fast at all and was just going to come to a normal stop, the dumbass behind me just assumed for some reason I would instead speed up to try and beat the light

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I've had a lot of close calls but the only bad wreck I've been in was because of black ice. (though my wheel fell off on the highway that one other time)

The most recent rear end in a top hat I think I complained about was when I stopped at a 4 way stop a month ago. I was the only one there, looks good, I pull into the intersection to make my left and out of nowhere this lifted ford small weiner mobile blew through it at atleast 60 or so. It was a 30, the road is bordering a school and residential zone...

Any time I see people like this I just wish their vehicle would crash and explode so they don't kill some family a few days later.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 18, 2023

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Toxic Mental posted:

nah I wasn't going fast at all and was just going to come to a normal stop, the dumbass behind me just assumed for some reason I would instead speed up to try and beat the light

If I’m in a hurry everyone else is a stupid rear end in a top hat!!!

I think people get angry because they’re just flustered they are caught being in the wrong. Or maybe I’m just telling on myself lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd like to introduce the concept of "Predictable Unpredictability"

In this case, driving, the same route for years, and you see patterns in what could be construed as random behavior....

For example, in a predictable manner, the same driver goes from 10-15 over, to 5-10 under, to 5-10 over, all within a 5 minute driving window. Predictably during this 10 mile stretch of road.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Grey Cat posted:

I go the speed limit, my mirrors are adjusted properly for blind spots, and I use my signals. I know what you're thinking, "what a badass."

if you doin the speed limit on the highway, get the gently caress outta my way

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Having been in a no bullshit highway accident in which I managed to do a full 180 before getting hit head-on by a car going northbound while I was facing southbound, I'm a big proponent of giving the car ahead of me the appropriate following distance at higher speeds

and boy do other drivers just loving hate that

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

bradzilla posted:

Well yeah, you think I'm gonna sit in the passing lane going the speed limit? Told you, I'm a badass.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

bradzilla posted:

If she's in the right lane, so be it.

But this morning I witnessed this epic roadblock. A rolling roadblock.
One driver in the passing lane who would not pass the last car. Was he matching his speed intentionally? I can't say, as I was 20 cars back in this rolling traffic jam, all cause by one driver on a two lane 70MPH highway.

I got a full view of it briefly on this big hill. That one guy had 100 cars or so all jammed up.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I used to be a speed racer but ever since my rollover I don't even like the idea of driving so I'm definitely not going to speed. Sorry to all the monstertrucks behind me out there, but give me space, thanks.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

I used to be a speed racer but ever since my rollover I don't even like the idea of driving so I'm definitely not going to speed. Sorry to all the monstertrucks behind me out there, but give me space, thanks.

Sincere question (Non highway road only): Do you ever consider pulling over and letting the speed monster behind you pass? Safely of course.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Sincere question (Non highway road only): Do you ever consider pulling over and letting the speed monster behind you pass? Safely of course.

If I was causing an actual line of cars and there's a shoulder to pull on I would. If it's one or two cars and they want to pass they can either wait for a dashed line, or wait for a passing lane.

I've never had this issue though. I've never had to pull over there's usually ample opportunities for dashed lines. People usually just pass in the first minute and everyone is happy.

If were talking in the city they can deal with it. They'll just get stuck at the next intersection with me regardless if they pass or not.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

If I was causing an actual line of cars and there's a shoulder to pull on I would. If it's one or two cars and they want to pass they can either wait for a dashed line, or wait for a passing lane.

I've never had this issue though. I've never had to pull over there's usually ample opportunities for dashed lines. People usually just pass in the first minute and everyone is happy.

If were talking in the city they can deal with it. They'll just get stuck at the next intersection with me regardless if they pass or not.

Good answer, thank you.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The scenario: Desolate quad lane prairie highway. Two lanes each direction. I'll be booking it in the left (i.e., fast) lane of my direction going 10-20km/h faster than the speed limit. Nothing egregious. (Before anyone brings it up, there is no "stay right unless passing" law here so I can cruise in the fast lane as long as I want, although I will get out of the lane if someone's coming up behind me). Coming up ahead of me the only traffic for tens of kilometers in either direction are two vehicles plodding along at roughly the speed limit, in the right (i.e., slow) lane, and usually (but not always) it'll be a regular-rear end truck/van/suv/car tailing a semi-trailer.

As I approach these two vehicles, the lane ahead of me remains completely unimpeded until I get maybe 100m from them, which causes the trailing vehicle to suddenly decide that now is the correct time to pass the semi-trailer they've been following for the last god-knows-how-long. They then signal into my lane directly in front of me, causing me to have to slow down until they make their pass and move back over. It's annoying as gently caress. I don't know what causes it. Some sort of "Oh my god there's someone coming up behind me! If I don't do this now I'm NEVER going to do it", or a casual "gently caress you buddy, I'm going first," or a combination of both, or something else entirely. But god drat, I hate these people with ever fibre of my being.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 18, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i witnessed other driver swearing a foul oath with fearsome tenor

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Awkwardness and indecisive driving is the worst.

A good example. When you come up to another street, and a driver stops to wait for you, but then decides to go- causing me to hit the breaks. But then THEY have second thoughts and stop. So I have to sit there for a second to figure out if they're going to accelerate out or if I have to gun it and get past them because they're clearly indecisive. That poo poo is infuriating.

Hey guys, if you're driving. Literally pick a lane and commit to it. It's better to make a decision and stick with it than be indecisive while driving.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I'm walking here

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Smugworth posted:

I'm walking here

Everyone run this fucker over

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

"Well, I've got this long rear end ramp and merge lane on to the freeway that gives me more than enough road to match up to freeway speeds. I think I'll drive on it at 25 up the entire length of the ramp, speed up to 35 as I approach the freeway, merge dangerously at 45 with disregard to anyone around me or any cars that may be approaching me from behind, and them maybe I'll speed up to 55 and keep it there, even though the posted speed limit is 65**."

~ The car in front of me every single time I get on the freeway. Every. Single. Time.

** Everyone on the freeway is going 70-75, the average speed

You Are A Werewolf fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 18, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

You Are A Werewolf posted:

"Well, I've got this long rear end ramp and merge lane on to the freeway that gives me more than enough road to match up to freeway speeds. I think I'll drive on it at 25 up the entire length of the ramp, speed up to 35 as I approach the freeway, merge dangerously at 45 with disregard to anyone around me or any cars that may be approaching me from behind, and them maybe I'll speed up to 55 and keep it there, even though the posted speed limit is 65**."

~ The car in front of me every single time I get on the freeway. Every. Single. Time.

:hmmyes:
Nothing quite like endangering yourself, the people behind you, and everyone already on the highway.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Lotta people just straight-up not using headlights in rain or night.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I drive down Broad Street in Philly to get to the office and the other day I saw pretty much the best city driving ever. Dude in a sedan goes weaving down the road, in and out of both lanes, passes a bus stopped at the bus stop at Temple University by swinging out into the sidewalk, cuts across two lanes to the left, up over the curb at a street light in the center island, part of the bumper falls off, then swings a hard hard right across two lanes of traffic and makes a right turn. Traffic was going about 25 mph and this dude never got below 40. When they turned, I saw the whole right side of the car was smashed in. Probably a hit and run fleeing from the police.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

There's an idea I've encountered in Georgia that your hazards are actually "rain lights" and you're supposed to leave them on whenever it's raining and I don't know where this idea came from but surely there's a reeducation/labor camp these people can be sent to

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Loden Taylor posted:

There's an idea I've encountered in Georgia that your hazards are actually "rain lights" and you're supposed to leave them on whenever it's raining and I don't know where this idea came from but surely there's a reeducation/labor camp these people can be sent to

I've seen this on the West Coast. I agree, the only punishment that fits this crime is :commissar:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
JUST DRIVE FAST AND NEVER STOP GOD ITS SO SIMPLE

IF YOU WANT TO PARK YOUR CAR CRASH IT INTO A WALL

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Fartington Butts posted:

Lotta people just straight-up not using headlights in rain or night.

I see this more and more and it baffles me. How do you not know your headlights aren't on at night?

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
If you choose your highway speed by tailgating the car in front of you within 6 inches of their bumper, I hate you. Same with people that block a merge lane by driving on the line that divides the two lanes. Let people zipper merge you stupid rear end in a top hat!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Why is everybody driving so fast