Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Were you hurt badly? Whose fault?

It was my fault. I saw my exit was coming up. Crossed the line, they honked at me, I pulled it back, then poo poo happened. I somehow didn't get really hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just will not pull into a parking space such that I will have to back out if it, if it can possibly be avoided. If it can possibly be done I will look for a space I can both pull into and pull out of. I would rather walk the full quarter-mile length of a big box store parking lot in heavy cold rain than try to back out of a parking space. Putting myself at other drivers' mercy: not even once.

you know other drivers do this sometimes too and you can still have an unnecessary aggravating stupid fight as you both try to pull through the same opposing spots and become frustrated as you try to crash through each other

nothing is safe

ever

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
not even really hurt. Just some scars on my left hand and loss of hair until it grew back

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

you know other drivers do this sometimes too and you can still have an unnecessary aggravating stupid fight as you both try to pull through the same opposing spots and become frustrated as you try to crash through each other

nothing is safe

ever

Always be Aware

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

redshirt posted:

I've noticed this on several occasions: I always park as far away as my kinda reasonable, wherever I go. The bigger the parking lot, the further out I will park. Finding a spot without any vehicles nearby and not in some obvious through-point. I'll go into the movie or the mall or whatever and come out a couple of hours later and there will be people parked around me, sometimes even right next to me, even though there's plenty of free spaces elsewhere. It boggles my mind when it happens.

I assume the people doing this are the same drivers that match your speed when trying to pass them, and match the speed of the people they are trying to pass.

EDIT to add: This happened last year in a completely otherwise empty hotel back parking lot, and someone parked a U-Haul right next to me overnight.

You should really do some gangparking videos there could be a niche

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

not even really hurt. Just some scars on my left hand and loss of hair until it grew back

Glad to hear it

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Glad to hear it

the best/worst part about is my dad came into the room to stroke my head, and it woke me up. Come on dad, I know you love me but I'm in pain and just woke me up.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_rHZg1WQwc

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Any of you fucks that say "breaks" rather than "brakes" when referring to the automotive poo poo are the worst drivers ever.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

wesleywillis posted:

Any of you fucks that say "breaks" rather than "brakes" when referring to the automotive poo poo are the worst drivers ever.
We get it, you hate Tesla drivers. We all do.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

wesleywillis posted:

They sound the same why wouldn't I say them the same :shrug:

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific
I moved out to the suburbs a year ago. In the city people drive too fast, run red lights, the streets are hella lovely. In suburbs everybody is doing something else and driving is the thing they're doing in the background. They don't pay attention to lane lines, not paying attention to right turns on red, making last second left turns from the right lane... it's loving terrifying out here, especially since everyone is driving big rear end escalades and range rovers and yelling at their kids in the backseat to stop bothering mommy while she's watching a tiktok...and also driving I guess.

And omg I'm sure I missed the convos on headlights/brights that burn the back of your retinas.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm sure someone has covered this already: I see a disturbing number (e.g: greater than 0) of drivers glued to their phones behind the wheel. I'm not talking about someone who quickly picks up their phone while they're stopped at a red light but driving on the highway.

Your loving Instagram feed can wait five minutes while you safely stop before you take a look, you prick. Drive or play with your phone; pick one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm sure someone has covered this already: I see a disturbing number (e.g: greater than 0) of drivers glued to their phones behind the wheel. I'm not talking about someone who quickly picks up their phone while they're stopped at a red light but driving on the highway.

Your loving Instagram feed can wait five minutes while you safely stop before you take a look, you prick. Drive or play with your phone; pick one.

My state and I think most/all the other New England states have banned use of smart phones while driving. You have to go hands free. And while I still see some idiots out there doing it, I think it's worked to reduce that behavior over all.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

My state and I think most/all the other New England states have banned use of smart phones while driving. You have to go hands free. And while I still see some idiots out there doing it, I think it's worked to reduce that behavior over all.

Mine did too. I think newer cars that allow you to connect your phone via Bluetooth helps, but I still see people do it from time to time.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I like being hands free. My car is old but I was still able to install bluetooth and a car mic in the A-frame trim. There's really no excuse to not use hands free options. I get in the car, turn on voice commands and go.

Need to text? Voice commands, need a map? Voice commands. It's pretty simple.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Everyone in my country is a lovely driver, except then I fly to Canada for a few months and I’m in fear for my life every time we have to drive anywhere. Upon returning to my homeland everyone seems like a fantastic driver by comparison. Recommend finding a country with big gently caress shitass driving abilities to give yourself some soothing perspective.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Roleplaying Dad posted:

making last second left turns from the right lane...

If you do that on a red light it's called the Boston Left Turn.

Roleplaying Dad posted:

And omg I'm sure I missed the convos on headlights/brights that burn the back of your retinas.

I've learned to deal with this by closing only my left eye until the rear end in a top hat is past, then I can reopen it and not be all but blind for a couple extra seconds.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

redshirt posted:

I consider parking lots the most dangerous places to drive. Isn't that common knowledge?

I think parking lot accidents are like drinking statistics where it’s some extreme outliers doing all the heavy lifting. Every time I get hit in a parking lot it’s by either someone with an old car that’s absolutely covered in dents from low speed collisions or a lifted truck that has poor visibility and a driver that’ll get out and want to try to kick my rear end.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I live in a dense urban area that we unfortunately still allow cars into. There's an arts college nearby with a four-way stop outside a dorm and other university buildings where drivers from the 'burbs will frequently roll their metal murder machines through the sign and get indignant that there are pedestrians actively in the crosswalk. Recently had a fucker in a luxury SUV screech to a stop in the intersection and lay on the horn as a family with three small children were crossing.

Ban all cars

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think parking lot accidents are like drinking statistics where it’s some extreme outliers doing all the heavy lifting. Every time I get hit in a parking lot it’s by either someone with an old car that’s absolutely covered in dents from low speed collisions or a lifted truck that has poor visibility and a driver that’ll get out and want to try to kick my rear end.

I think it's more that it's just so much easier to get into a small accident. Parking mistake, backing out in a crowded lot, etc.

Also, it should be said, parking lots are dangerous for pedestrians. Keep your head on a swivel!

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Maintain situational awareness, but do not, I repeat, DO NOT acknowledge in any way that you see the driver. Many will take any hesitancy as a tacit submission to being bullied out of right of way and keep rolling. I've seen dozens of "good" drivers speed past a gaggle of very visible pedestrians fearfully waiting at a marked "YIELD FOR PEDESTRIANS" crossing—sometimes you just need to step out into the road and be ready to jump out of the way of a sociopath.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When using a cross walk maintain eye contact with the driver of any yielding cars. This won't actually stop anything from happening but makes me optimistic that I will traumatize any one running me over as I stare into their soul in my final moments.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

When using a cross walk maintain eye contact with the driver of any yielding cars. This won't actually stop anything from happening but makes me optimistic that I will traumatize any one running me over as I stare into their soul in my final moments.

:same:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

What's the most you've ever passed the same car while maintaining the same speed on CC on the highway?

I think my record is 6, this lady was amazing (bad). Just massive shifts in speed, from slow to fast and back.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Beating a very dead horse by now, but the worst is the electric scooter riders who apparently believe no type of traffic law applies to them. Sidewalk? Bike lane? Street? The scooter rider believes he is a sovereign citizen, society's rules do not apply to him.

I almost ran a scooterman over because he ran a red light at almost 40 mph. No helmet, of course.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't know how many times a driver will be going slow (or at least slower than 5-7 above the speed limit) and then speed up as soon as we hit an area with a lower speed limit! This happens all the time, at least in my area, and it's extremely irritating.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I don't know how many times a driver will be going slow (or at least slower than 5-7 above the speed limit) and then speed up as soon as we hit an area with a lower speed limit! This happens all the time, at least in my area, and it's extremely irritating.

I have a whole giant theory abnout this.

In sum, I believe a lot of people (70%) are subconsciously influenced by the tightness or openness of their surroundings, and other visual cues, and this predicts their speed at times, not the posted speed limit.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

redshirt posted:

I have a whole giant theory abnout this.

In sum, I believe a lot of people (70%) are subconsciously influenced by the tightness or openness of their surroundings, and other visual cues, and this predicts their speed at times, not the posted speed limit.

That's not too far off (if not identical) from my personal theory: that a lot of drivers zone out and are barely paying attention to their speed. They see a speed limit sign and think, "Oops! Need to speed up now; I've been going too slow".

e: This often isn't bad driving so much as a personal pet peeve, but it rubs me wrong when a fast driver passes me and then zips right in front of me like I'm poo poo under their shoe. Most likely they're not even thinking about anything other than their personal agenda, and I'm glad they're passing instead of reaming out my tailpipe but it still gets under my skin sometimes. This is especially true if I'm going, say, 60-62 in a 55 MPH zone and they want to go 70.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 26, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TBF when I do that it's because I want to considerately keep the center lane clear :shobon:

Roleplaying Dad
Jan 23, 2005

Invisibilityrific

e: This often isn't bad driving so much as a personal pet peeve, but it rubs me wrong when a fast driver passes me and then zips right in front of me like I'm poo poo under their shoe. Most likely they're not even thinking about anything other than their personal agenda, and I'm glad they're passing instead of reaming out my tailpipe but it still gets under my skin sometimes. This is especially true if I'm going, say, 60-62 in a 55 MPH zone and they want to go 70.

I don't understand. You get mad that somebody passes you and goes faster? That's what you want, isn't it? Let them go away as fast as possible. Who cares?

Nothing grinds my gears like a mf'er that passes me and then slows down. Those folks, left lane campers, and people who speed up when you try to pass them all just want to be Lords of the Highway who get to dictate how fast everybody else goes.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Roleplaying Dad posted:

I don't understand. You get mad that somebody passes you and goes faster? That's what you want, isn't it? Let them go away as fast as possible. Who cares?

Nothing grinds my gears like a mf'er that passes me and then slows down. Those folks, left lane campers, and people who speed up when you try to pass them all just want to be Lords of the Highway who get to dictate how fast everybody else goes.

Fair point.

No, I dislike it when someone passes and then immediately gets right in front of me, almost but not quite cutting me off. I think it's rude but maybe that's my personal quirky peeve.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Yelling from the distance

Oh gently caress Im sorry I hit your car in the lot, do you want my insurance info? Yeah? One sec!

I lower a comically large ladder from my window and begin to descend from my truck.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Who the hell drives on the highway without using cruise control

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

A majority of drivers I'd guess.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

cruise control is this weird thing in my mind, maybe its toxic masculinity but i've always avoided using it because it felt 'lazy' and like I wasn't in control of the vehicle

i guess also since i grew up learning on and driving manual cars for the my first 3-4 vehicles, cruise control also wasn't really an option

kind of like leaving the wipers on 'automatic' instead of flicking them on and off on demand

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Blue On Blue posted:

cruise control is this weird thing in my mind, maybe its toxic masculinity but i've always avoided using it because it felt 'lazy' and like I wasn't in control of the vehicle

kind of like leaving the wipers on 'automatic' instead of flicking them on and off on demand

It's liberating. First, you can always be confident in your speed, so confident you don't have to think about it. That removes a rather constant mental process without it.
Second, you can adjust cruise up and down easy enough to adjust.
Third, you are in more control, since you can spend more of your focus on other things.
Fourth, you can move your foot around down there occasionally. It feels good.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Eric the Mauve posted:

My SO...
Yes, it annoys me too... But the consolation is at least he has a 5mph variance, tops.

There's little more annoying than the person whose speed fluctuates 20mph in either direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I love my wife, but her irrational hatred of cruise control and inability to pick a speed goddammit are a challenge.

Meanwhile, my wife says that I’m lazy because I’ve insisted our cars have adaptive cruise control.