Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Blue On Blue posted:

cruise control is this weird thing in my mind, maybe its toxic masculinity but i've always avoided using it because it felt 'lazy' and like I wasn't in control of the vehicle

i guess also since i grew up learning on and driving manual cars for the my first 3-4 vehicles, cruise control also wasn't really an option

kind of like leaving the wipers on 'automatic' instead of flicking them on and off on demand

I don't know how you get to lazy and lack of control from cruise control. You literally control the speed your car will consistently go and it will keep it at that speed far better than a human can. How much more controlling can you get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
^^^^E: well every time a man is in control of something, vehicle or otherwise its a result of toxic masculinity.

Grey Cat posted:

I had a manual '98 carolla 5spd with cruise control... so lol.

It sucked though at lower speeds, it would maintain speed but the accelorator seemed to lurch 2 or so times a second. Very weird but completely fine at 60+

The goon in question may have driven manual cars without CC but my 97 Mazda had both manual trans and cruise, and a number of other people I knew with older manual cars had it. I could use it in any gear I wanted as long as I was above ~40 kmh, and below ~180kmh or so.
It was pretty fuckin sweet. My current '09 Corolla and '21 Tacoma are both manual and both have cruise and same deal, can be used in all gears above certain speed.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 27, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Drivers that go at the speed limit but slow down when approaching the fixed radar cameras should get rear ended.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm amazed how many drivers on the highway start slowing down pretty far before their exit. Like they need 2 miles to down speed safely.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If you see a cop on the side of the road, it is a good idea to slow down to the speed limit or <5 above it.

It is not a good idea to slow down to 10-15 below the speed limit. Especially if you were flying 30 second ago - bro he already got you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I rarely see cops enforcing traffic since 2020. I remember highway speed traps. Haven't seen one since.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

I'm amazed how many drivers on the highway start slowing down pretty far before their exit. Like they need 2 miles to down speed safely.

no lie. I always move into the lane, then slow down about 4 miles before I need to exit

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
gently caress you know when a cop is on the freeway because every paranoid jerk suddenly hits their loving brakes for no goddamn reason.

Cops doing 80 don't care if you're doing 70 in a 65 jfc

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no lie. I always move into the lane, then slow down about 4 miles before I need to exit

Hmm, so you're one of them. Why? Just chilling? In no rush? Super safety conscious?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Hmm, so you're one of them. Why? Just chilling? In no rush? Super safety conscious?

as I have said a few times before, I flipped a soft top convertible once. It is not something i would like to do again

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

as I have said a few times before, I flipped a soft top convertible once. It is not something i would like to do again

Ah yes. I get it. Good luck out there, but don't drive scared. It can be as dangerous as other poor driving behaviors.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
I do the speed limit in the lane, until the exit happens

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Ah yes. I get it. Good luck out there, but don't drive scared. It can be as dangerous as other poor driving behaviors.

it's kinda terrifying. Doesn't stop me from doing 75. That's the loving speed limit.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it's kinda terrifying. Doesn't stop me from doing 75. That's the loving speed limit.

Have you heard the phrase "target fixation" in reference to driving?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I can't imagine slowing down for an exit 6km away.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Have you heard the phrase "target fixation" in reference to driving?

no. and I was wrong 70 is the new poo poo that no one does

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Space Kablooey posted:

I can't imagine slowing down for an exit 6km away.

I may or may not slow down, usually not, but I get over about 4 miles

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

no. and I was wrong 70 is the new poo poo that no one does

Target fixation can apply to many things, but as it comes to driving, it refers to how your direction of travel or motion will often follow where you are focused on. Such, that when driving, you should always be looking where you want to go, and all those permutations. Not the side rail, not the big truck you're passing, not the big iPad in the console.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

Target fixation can apply to many things, but as it comes to driving, it refers to how your direction of travel or motion will often follow where you are focused on. Such, that when driving, you should always be looking where you want to go, and all those permutations. Not the side rail, not the big truck you're passing, not the big iPad in the console.

I usually only drive to go to work or get some banging food

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
the issue with driving is people don't see other cars as other people in their subconscious, they are the Enemy and are autonomously driven. it is human nature.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Costco Meatballs posted:

the issue with driving is people don't see other cars as other people in their subconscious, they are the Enemy and are autonomously driven. it is human nature.

I think this explains a LOT of behavior. My own included (even though this thread is about OTHER people).

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Animal-Mother posted:

Beating a very dead horse by now, but the worst is the electric scooter riders who apparently believe no type of traffic law applies to them. Sidewalk? Bike lane? Street? The scooter rider believes he is a sovereign citizen, society's rules do not apply to him.

I almost ran a scooterman over because he ran a red light at almost 40 mph. No helmet, of course.

The small city e-scooters are just the worst, they don't replace car journeys really, they replace walking and regular bikes. So they are arguable a negative for the environment and peoples health.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I understand the practicality and utility of trucks for a wide array of vocations. The issue for me is that where I live, you will see practical mummies driving a gleaming Ford F-150s that obscure the horizon and blots out the Sun. In parking lots I'm watching octogenarians step out of these Abram tank sized vehicles, which are so tall it's necessitated them to install a steel bar beneath the door as a step to help them on the 6 ft journey from seat to ground.

What are you doing with this grandpa. You are not hauling, you are not helping someone move, you have nothing in the cargo bed. You are pissing away 30% of your social security on gas alone just to go to Applebee's and back.

Well, he's virtue signaling right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Costco Meatballs posted:

It's the way people would treat other people if they felt confident there would be no social consequences ever.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

What if they painted faces on cars

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags
e: a little much

nice obelisk idiot fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 5, 2024

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Costco Meatballs posted:

Very true which is also why it's a problem when people don't see bikes so they need unmuffled pipes that can be heard 3 zipcodes away.so they can be properly registered as a monster in your subconscious and run down.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

Beating a very dead horse by now, but the worst is the electric scooter riders who apparently believe no type of traffic law applies to them. Sidewalk? Bike lane? Street? The scooter rider believes he is a sovereign citizen, society's rules do not apply to him.

I almost ran a scooterman over because he ran a red light at almost 40 mph. No helmet, of course.

The only escooter drivers i ran across were teenagers so this tracks

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

The small city e-scooters are just the worst, they don't replace car journeys really, they replace walking and regular bikes. So they are arguable a negative for the environment and peoples health.

I got into an argument with some local dickhead about this. He claimed that poor people use the scooters to commute to their service sector jobs. However, I bike on that trail to commute to work and see people wearing their Burger King or grocery store uniforms walking down the trail. The people using the Lime scooters are yuppies and bored teenagers.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Costco Meatballs posted:

This also tracks lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So if someone is going under the speed limit in the passing lane, and you pass them on the right, without actually breaking the speed limit, legally are you both in the wrong? I feel like if a cop saw it they'd pull over the passer most of the time, not the one using the lane improperly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Civilized societies would give both cars a ticket, yes.

In the US it's going to depend on local laws since it's not illegal everywhere to pass on the right or park in the fast lane. If they both happen to be illegal, well, what are the races of the drivers?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

There is an intersection near where I live which I'm 95% sure will be where I die.
EVERYONE rolls through the stop sign, not enough to get hit by oncoming traffic themselves, but enough that if I am not paying attention while riding my bike I will for sure get hit.
It's not even a fault of the drivers, the township made it so that someone in a vehicle literally can not see UNLESS they roll through it.
The thing is, though, at least come to a full stop at the sign itself. Maybe turn your head and see if there are bike riders and/or pedestrians.
I wonder if it's illegal to pre-emptively put up a memorial for myself on the corner.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So if someone is going under the speed limit in the passing lane, and you pass them on the right, without actually breaking the speed limit, legally are you both in the wrong? I feel like if a cop saw it they'd pull over the passer most of the time, not the one using the lane improperly.

Yep. That's what the traffic law states in my neck of the woods.

A cop will be really needing to meet their quota to actually enforce it though.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I figured both drivers would be in the wrong but that's also dumb as hell (and probably a uniquely American problem)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I have never even heard of anyone known to anyone I know who has ever been pulled over for passing on the right or for staying in the theoretical passing lane.

In the US no one actually gives a poo poo about safety and traffic law enforcement is about generating revenue. See also: traffic light cameras and the magically shortening yellow light

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

I have never even heard of anyone known to anyone I know who has ever been pulled over for passing on the right or for staying in the theoretical passing lane.

In the US no one actually gives a poo poo about safety and traffic law enforcement is about generating revenue. See also: traffic light cameras and the magically shortening yellow light

I've seen people pulled over for passing on the right but not for going too slow in the passing lane.

I've also seen cops pass people on the right with no signal and nearly cut them off swerving back into the fast lane, so who knows lol

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's always kind of darkly humorous when you see a cop SUV doing 80 in a 55 without its lights on and everyone doing 60 is freaking out and slowing down

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Though both are in the wrong in most jurisdictions, arguably the driver passing on the right is engaging in the behavior that is less likely to be anticipated by other drivers, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I wonder if it's illegal to pre-emptively put up a memorial for myself on the corner.

Do it.
Put up a cross (Cause JESUS) and a sign that says something like "RIP to the bike rider who will inevitably get killed here because this intersection is unsafe and drivers don't pay attention"