Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Grandfather sighed and reached for his pipe. "Aye, lad, ye must understand: my seafaring days are behind me now."
I held back tears. Too often had I seen the old man's eyes light up at the sound of wave or gull, only to flicker out as some ancient grief curled its crooked fingers round his heart.
"But- but grandfather," I said, trembling, "the sea calls you still. I've seen it. Why-"
"Hush, lad," spake grandfather. He laid a hand (salt-scoured, wind-gnarled) upon my shoulder. "It's true I've not been asea since that terrible day when--- well, I'll not burden your young heart with an old man's sorrows." Grandather knelt, those faded blue eyes filling my vision, luminous with gentle wisdom.
"The pain of leaving the sea has been lessened," he said, "ever since i replaced my car headlights with a couple of quadrillion-watt lighthouse bulbs."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

0ther drivers are good, actually

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Grey Cat posted:

:hmmyes:
Nothing quite like endangering yourself, the people behind you, and everyone already on the highway.

I love when I get the finger, the horn, or both when I pass them like it's my fault they're endangering everyone around them.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

It’s Alligator Alley. Go 90 or get shot at.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Smugworth posted:

Why is everybody driving so fast

I genuinely think that living in 2023 hellworld, combined with the pandemic taking many people off the road, a lot of people have simply given up attempting to drive well and are purely in it for gently caress YOU OUTTA MY WAY reasons

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Reddit thread

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Salt Fish posted:

Reddit thread

Take my downdoot

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Who run Barter Town?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Was a few cars behind at a broken light that would cycle green for every direction but our and the car in front didn’t grasp there was clearly something wrong by the fourth time this had happened, so after five minutes someone got out and yelled at them that maybe they shouldn’t sit there all day. I understand not wanting to go straight through a red even if it’s clear & green will never come but it was safe to take a right turn as many other nearby roads led wherever you may wish to go.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
people who will ride your rear end when you're directly in front of them, then when you get over to let them pass they slow down and fall back

until the next time you get back into the passing lane to overtake traffic and they get right up on your rear end again even though you are now going faster

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I love when I get the finger, the horn, or both when I pass them like it's my fault they're endangering everyone around them.

I went to a bunch of pick-n-pulls last month and managed to find five sets of GM 4-tone horns from 1975-1995 Cadillacs and Buicks because I'm an insane driver and I need people to figure their poo poo out or get the gently caress off the road. I basically stole the idea from here, and so can anybody reading this.

Long story short, I daily drive a 400hp Pontiac that sounds like a goddamn freight train. I am on the horn at even the slightest indiscretion so help me god get the gently caress out of my way, and surprise surprise people DO pay attention when they think they're about to get hit by a train. It loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3e5BCE9zFI&t=13s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

XYZAB posted:

I went to a bunch of pick-n-pulls last month and managed to find five sets of GM 4-tone horns from 1975-1995 Cadillacs and Buicks because I'm an insane driver and I need people to figure their poo poo out or get the gently caress off the road. I basically stole the idea from here, and so can anybody reading this.

Long story short, I daily drive a 400hp Pontiac that sounds like a goddamn freight train. I am on the horn at even the slightest indiscretion so help me god get the gently caress out of my way, and surprise surprise people DO pay attention when they think they're about to get hit by a train. It loving rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3e5BCE9zFI&t=13s

Hell Yeeah Brother!!!!

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

redshirt posted:

Hell Yeeah Brother!!!!

I'm not even kidding. Some dummy in front of me wasn't turning right on a red with nobody coming from that direction for a country mile, so I started banging on the horn and NOT ONLY did one of the horns explode violently with a massive POP because it was rusty as gently caress and nearly 50 years old, but you could SEE the effect the sound had on the driver in that car by the way car lurched violently forward before instantaneously coming again to an abrupt stop literally 10 milliseconds after first burying my fist in my steering wheel's airbag to get it to do the thing. The horn temporarily broke that person's brain AND made their foot slip off the brake pedal. Magical stuff.

These horns are great, highly recommend for entertainment purposes or if you're just tired of putting up with idiots. They're like $5/horn at any decent pick-n-pull. $20 for a full set. D, F, A, and C#, but the C# is just labeled C. You need all four to make the train horn sound. While you're in the parts yard, steal a 12V relay from the fuse box of any vehicle on the lot and pocket it for later. Steal some automotive wire or pick up some 16ga wire at an auto shop and get an inline fuse at the same time. 5W per horn, so you'll need a 20W fuse. You can either mount them all to individual spots on your subframe, or do what I did: I picked up a 12"-5/16ths threaded rod at Canadian Tire and a bunch of nuts to basically mount two sets of horns twice to the rod, and then found an unused mounting hole on the metal subframe beneath my driver's side headlight to attach it all. Disconnect the original car horn, use the 12v from that to go to the relay you stole's #86 connector, then wire everything else appropriately to the photo below. Total cost, like $40, and an evening of your time.

Now when I press the horn I can feel my feet vibrating through the gas pedal and floor of the car.

Here you go everybody, enjoy:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Can I count on your Union vote? Say Yes please.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

redshirt posted:

Can I count on your Union vote? Say Yes please.

Absolutely, brother.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

noone makes full stops at stop signs in our new neighborhood. we're like a block away from a huge middle school too. i make full stops because im not ready to grind a body to ground meat with my car to make it home 3 seconds faster. people regularly squeel their breaks to stop behind me assuming ill blow through the stop sign like every other dip poo poo low iq dumbass. they like to honk too its great. i love cars.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

woop woop pull over that rear end is too fat

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

When a 4 way stoplight with left turn lanes is out, there's no telling who's going to go.
Zipper merges don't work here (TX).
We have a bunch of traffic circles now. LOL.
Nobody pulls over for emergency vehicles.
Sometimes there's a sign telling you a lane has closed. It doesn't matter anyway. Keep going as far as you can.

The last one is daily. There's a left and right turn from the median. Normal to have 5 cars+ in the center median all trying to turn right or left from a side street. Apparently TX has no right of way? Correct me if I'm wrong.

LOLbertsons fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 19, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Going 45 in a 50 for miles.....

"Oh, here comes a big hill with a second lane for trucks and slow vehicles....."

*Floors it, hits 75

"Oh the second lane is disappearing, better slow back down to 45"

Gawr Gooner
Mar 3, 2023
My car can set a speed limit that I can't accelerate past and I think that's pretty cool, so I keep it at the street limit and people tailgate me a lot. Am I a bad driver?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gawr Gooner posted:

My car can set a speed limit that I can't accelerate past and I think that's pretty cool, so I keep it at the street limit and people tailgate me a lot. Am I a bad driver?

My old 88 Civic couldn't top 60 on big hills, I hear you brother.

As for your question, between you and me? No, you are limited by your vehicle.

But out on the road, yes.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My eyes were opened one night, driving back from a Monday Night Football game of Pats V Colts circa 2008.

I was riding shotgun listening to this Steelers fan ramble on and on and on and I watched the speedometer and he was varying his speed from 60 or so to 80, based on the cars around him. If no cars, he'd go slower and slower. But when a car came up to pass, he'd accelerate and match their speed, it was nuts. All the while, he's just babbling on and on about the Steelers or some such.

I was amazed because it was CLEAR he wasn't actually paying attention to the traffic, he was instinctively responding while he focused on Steelers poo poo.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

How do people who don't accelerate on the on ramp get through life like that? How do they never learn? What happens if they can't get over? So many questions

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm pretty sure DRLs have broken the brains of many drivers. Yup you may have some illumination, but your headlights are off. Taillights too!
It's 5am, pitch black, and there's 1/4 mile visibility because of the fog. Turn your loving lights on.

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

How do people who don't accelerate on the on ramp get through life like that? How do they never learn? What happens if they can't get over? So many questions

They merge anyway. Screw everyone else. Their signal is on, and that clearly gives them right of way. Other driver should've given them room.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 19, 2023

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

its all nice on rice posted:

I'm pretty sure DRLs have broken the brains of many drivers. Yup you may have some illumination, but your headlights are off. Taillights too!
It's 5am, pitch black, and there's 1/4 mile visibility because of the fog. Turn your loving lights on.

Also, a lot of modern cars have permanently illuminated instrument panels independent of the headlights or switch. They also create the illusion that the lights are on at night/on in inclement weather and this, coupled with the DRL permanently on creates the illusion that the lights are on. Hell, my sister had a 2003 Suzuki Grand Vitara years ago that had all of that, and more than once I was driving it at night thinking all the lights were on; they weren’t. I quickly realized my mistake each time and turned the lights on, though.

Jack-in-the-Bach posted:

I know people who legitimately think they are the perfect drivers because they never speed. EVER. Part of driving is literally speeding up to match the speed of oncoming traffic or to overtake even slower drivers and road hazards but oh deary me we mustn’t do that because speeding is illegal. Oh heavens no! :ohdear:

These people should not have driver’s licenses.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My 96 camry had the perfect lighting system: leave your lights on all the time and never worry. Once you turned the car off and opened the door, they shut off.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

You Are A Werewolf posted:

I know people who legitimately think they are the perfect drivers because they never speed. EVER. Part of driving is literally speeding up to match the speed of oncoming traffic or to overtake even slower drivers and road hazards but oh deary me we mustn’t do that because speeding is illegal. Oh heavens no! :ohdear:

These people should not have driver’s licenses.

:haibrower:

I've become less patient when red lights turn green and honk very liberally now I don't give a poo poo about the drat unsolicited dick pic you're taking 15 seconds to send after the light turns green, there is no text that is ever worth making even a single other car idle because they can't make it through the light in time because of some jackass phoneowner

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Without fail anytime I'm behind a line of cars in a left hand turn lane at an intersection with an advance turn signal the car at the front will not move for the first 5 seconds of advance.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

LOLbertsons posted:

When a 4 way stoplight with left turn lanes is out, there's no telling who's going to go.
Zipper merges don't work here (TX).
We have a bunch of traffic circles now. LOL.
Nobody pulls over for emergency vehicles.
Sometimes there's a sign telling you a lane has closed. It doesn't matter anyway. Keep going as far as you can.

The last one is daily. There's a left and right turn from the median. Normal to have 5 cars+ in the center median all trying to turn right or left from a side street. Apparently TX has no right of way? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been all over the country, and a few places, besides (military family). The top three contenders for worst state to drive in for me are:

A) Florida

B) Georgia

C) Texas

I can't order them numerically, because they all suck in various ways.

Everyone thinks they have the worst traffic in their state. They're wrong. Sure, California has LA, and LA is psycho, but it's not the whole state.

My rear end travels up and down the east coast, and as far into the midwest as Chicago and Milwaukee for work. My pops and his wife currently reside in Texas, so I visit there with a regularity, as well.

So, when I say that I can tell what state I'm in just by the change in behavior on the road, I'm not a loving liar.

Texas and Georgia suck in somewhat similar ways. Everyone complains about dipshits not using turn signals. They don't get it. They're basically a suggestion in these states. Something nice you do to be polite, not an actual law of the road. Which is really not great, especially when you've got someone in their pristine, shiny F-150 up your rear end while you're already doing 10 over the speed limit on roads that can be called neglected at best. I don't even want to talk about San Antonio or Dallas. I lived 7 years in Atlanta, Ga, and thought it was bad in Atlanta. Maybe it's just Atlanta is the beast I know, but drat San Antonio loving sucks to drive in.

Being cut off on the road isn't really even the worst that can happen to you. I've got a friend out in Atlanta that came home shook one day because a fucker pulled a goddamned gun on them in traffic. All over flipping them off when they- guess what- didn't use their loving turn signal! What an exciting city.

And Florida.

Florida is it's own thing. It has this combo of broke- brained snowbirds come to retire and chucklefuck locals that shouldn't be in charge of a radio flyer, much less anything with an engine. When you get into the tourist areas, you add the international element, folks from all over renting a car for their stay and still mentally operating under an entirely different driving culture. I can't really be too sore on the last there, but the clash between these three groups makes driving in the city a... fascinating experience, to say the least.

What I'm saying is I wish public transit was real.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

flubber nuts posted:

woop woop pull over that rear end is too fat

Yes, Officer?
I swear I was within the cheek limit.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Was a few cars behind at a broken light that would cycle green for every direction but our and the car in front didn’t grasp there was clearly something wrong by the fourth time this had happened, so after five minutes someone got out and yelled at them that maybe they shouldn’t sit there all day. I understand not wanting to go straight through a red even if it’s clear & green will never come but it was safe to take a right turn as many other nearby roads led wherever you may wish to go.

Once while delivering pizza I had to get out, run to the intersection, and frantically signal to the cars in the lead to pull forward because they were all sitting three car lengths away from the sensors so the light would never change unless they moved.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Once when I was driving on the FDR a white infiniti blazed past me going like 100 mph. 20 minutes later when I reached lower manhattan I saw that same infiniti crashed up and causing traffic.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Look however you drive just promise me you'll wear a drat seatbelt so other drivers won't have the traumatic memory of an adult getting thrown out a window and contorting into a pretzel underneath the wheels of an SUV seared into their brains

just christ its not that hard to wear

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ChickenHeart posted:

Look however you drive just promise me you'll wear a drat seatbelt so other drivers won't have the traumatic memory of an adult getting thrown out a window and contorting into a pretzel underneath the wheels of an SUV seared into their brains

But it's MILDLY uncomfortable! dies

Also I never realized your av is animated.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

ChickenHeart posted:

We die like men!

*undoes seatbelt*

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If you see someone trying to make a left against traffic and stop to let them in, you’re a fuckin prick.

The people who do that will never, ever think they’re in the wrong since they’re being nice and that can’t be wrong! Even if it means the person who had to stop unexpectedly for your nice gesture nearly gets, or actually gets, rear ended because unpredictable stops are bad.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

Without fail anytime I'm behind a line of cars in a left hand turn lane at an intersection with an advance turn signal the car at the front will not move for the first 5 seconds of advance.

That’s me and I’m doing it on purpose just to spite you

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

That’s me and I’m doing it on purpose just to spite you

SMUGWORTH!!! :argh: I mean.. BAGS FLY!!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I wish people would merge rather than wait til the very last moment despite being given tons of room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

I wish people would merge rather than wait til the very last moment despite being given tons of room

zipper merge derail engage