Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Problem description:
I updated my work pc with some new components, and recycled components after a home gaming pc upgrade.

I installed:

new Mobo (MSI B550 wifi)
new power supply (corsair 850 gold)
new case (Corsair 4000D)
new m2. drive (crucial 500gb)
new Ram (corsair 3200 16gb, 2x8gb)
known good CPU (ryzen 3800x)
known good GPU (AMD 5700xt).
known good ssd (kingston 500gb)
old Hdd (Seagate 1tb)

It boots! However, on accident I installed windows to the wrong old HDD, the seagate, and then realized that it was failing (clicking) and I remembered that I had previously disabled it and simply not yanked it and thrown it out.

The windows install worked, but the HDD sounded really really bad! I pulled it, and planned on simply reinstalling windows with a USB boot drive. Currently the PC has a M.2 drive and an internal ssd drive that I figured I could install windows to without issue.

I brought my usb recovery drive into work, with the installation media download from my home PC, and plugged it in.

Attempted fixes:

Half the time I turn it on with the recovery usb inserted the screen goes black, the computer unresponsive after showing the Mobo pro series graphics
the other half time it shows me the blue windows recovery screen and offers me the option to repair, or to use a usb recovery drive. When I select either option the screen goes black and the computer is unresponsive.

I can get into bios without issue but otherwise that's it!

Recent changes:

See above

--

Operating system:

Windows 11

Canada, Toronto

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes, Yes - google is awful now and keeps showing page after page of suggestions on how to boot into safe mode etc.

Thanks goons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Would it be possible to use a regular W11 USB installer rather than that recovery drive? IIRC sometimes those can cause more conflicts.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah sounds like something about that particular USB drive you're bringing from home.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Got a fresh USB key with windows 11 install media to boot to, will try it ASAP. Heat is out in my work building so I'm wfh until it gets fixed anyways!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Are you allowed to start a fire? Is there good enough ventilation that at least you won't be afflicted? Have you tried turning off the fire and then rebooting it?

Hold the log down for five seconds and then insert the tinder. Try it in reverse.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
unfortunately the fire bricked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
One thing, important to note - you need to run the windows media exe file in order to generate the iso file that goes on your USB jump drive.

Just putting the exe on there doesn't do anything for the boot drive and you'll spend weeks getting frustrated.

This issue is resolved and I'm posting here so everyone knows it was my fault

Goddammit