Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Kuros posted:

How dare GDQ not cater to me at all times!? I demand serious speedrunning to be done at all times! None of this "orb" or "hype" or "doge" stuff, only serious speedrunning!

I could brutally own you right now if I felt like it (quote your post but replace “GDQ” with “forums posting”, “serious speedrunning” with “opinions I agree with”, etc). Fortunately for you I’m feeling merciful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Meiteron posted:

It's been very well established that the GDQ, the ostensible speedrun marathon, is also open to impressive displays of skill even if they're not necessarily about Going Fast and has been I think since that one live run of Clone Hero a few years back absolutely brought the house down; it's also why we see shmup runs and other rhythm games and blindfold incentives.

I personally really enjoy them for the variety because what's impressive at it's core for any of these runs is the talent, effort, and practice being demonstrated by the runner and it turns out that can be expressed by playing a game really fast or by slaying the gently caress out in some obscure japanese rhythm game or working really hard with your best friend doggo for a year or theory crafting on the fly one hour into the last run of a marathon to save a run other people would probably abandon as stone dead. It's all great, I love it all.

If you do not like that breadth of content there's still a few hundred runs for you to enjoy, everyone is welcome and has something to like in GDQ, that's the magic
This is all my exact view. I’d actually like to see GDQ put even more time into high-skill non-speedrun play, things like 1cc runs of shmups get very little space relative to how deep the talent pool is and how impressive they can be.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

if someone didn't like a run its also ok to just post... OK... and not argue with them for 200 posts b/c you arent gonna change their mind. its ok to post an opinion. we had 100 posts from that dude who was not watching the speedruns we can have a few posts about how the dog run wasn't the most impressive thing in the universe.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

I think the Tetris TGM runs are kinda where that started. The idea of speedrunning that game was pretty much invented for the sole purpose of getting a run in at GDQ.

I thought that TGM was more of a gaming thing that was big in Japan on its own and KevinDDR was basically just introducing it to a western audience.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If you thought Arkanoid was incredibly impressive (it was) go to speedrun.com and look at the WR, I literally have no idea how you manipulate it to give you the pink 'skip' pill so often but it's apparently an entire game full of pixel perfect manipulation that falls apart if you miss even one of them, you can't pick the run back up. Some are dependent on enemy position when the screen is still black as well.

The guy crushes the game with no glitches in 12m 17s, everything has to go completely perfect on every single stage.

https://www.speedrun.com/arkanoid/runs/y95dv2ez

And I think the game isn't beatable on an NES controller so that probably explains why so much of it seems insane (it still was)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm about positive I beat Arkanoid w/ a regular NES controller when I was a kid, but I wasn't trying to speedrun it of course.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

pumpinglemma posted:

This is all my exact view. I’d actually like to see GDQ put even more time into high-skill non-speedrun play, things like 1cc runs of shmups get very little space relative to how deep the talent pool is and how impressive they can be.

Yeah, score attack stuff is the biggest thing I’d like to see more of. It’s strange to me how little overlap there seems to be with speedrunning communities, considering how similar the methodologies and goals are.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the star fox 64 run they had was a pretty cool example of score attack overlapping with speedrunning, obviously a lot of games aren't designed in a way to make this feasible but it was cool to see it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

someone awful. posted:

the star fox 64 run they had was a pretty cool example of score attack overlapping with speedrunning, obviously a lot of games aren't designed in a way to make this feasible but it was cool to see it

Yeah, I really enjoyed that run but star fox 64 is one of my favorite games so I'm very biased

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

TheMopeSquad posted:

I thought that TGM was more of a gaming thing that was big in Japan on its own and KevinDDR was basically just introducing it to a western audience.

That's part of it, but my point is that nobody really speedruns TGM.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I know there are more mini-marathon streams throughout the year between the GDQs, what's the next one of those?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Frost Fatales in first week of march I think. But there are tons of marathons that aren’t under the GDQ umbrella throughout the year

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I know there are more mini-marathon streams throughout the year between the GDQs, what's the next one of those?

Frost Fatales is coming up in March! The Fatales events are great, it’s a comfier vibe than the mainline events, highly recommended.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
GDQ is also hosting the Unapologetically Black and Fast showcase weekend February 17 & 18

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Snake Maze posted:

Yeah, score attack stuff is the biggest thing I’d like to see more of. It’s strange to me how little overlap there seems to be with speedrunning communities, considering how similar the methodologies and goals are.

The infamous Donkey Kong world record is a kind of score attack - but yeah GDQ has very little to do with arcade anything, which seems to be the purview of Twin Galaxies.

Is Kusogrande a GDQ event like Frame Fatales or just an unofficial side thing that Brossentia puts on? Being a connoisseur of Bad Games beyond the usual NES LJN releases is ... a skill of sorts.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Coffee Jones posted:

Is Kusogrande a GDQ event like Frame Fatales or just an unofficial side thing that Brossentia puts on? Being a connoisseur of Bad Games beyond the usual NES LJN releases is ... a skill of sorts.
Kusogrande is run separately. (Arcade Pit is on GDQ now sometimes, but it's just a Hotfix show and not an Official GDQ Event like the Fatales events and the upcoming UBAF.)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
UBAF is apparently going through the 19th as well this year.

Kusogrande is just a thing Brosentia started and helps organize.

And Smight's Arcade Pit is on the Hotfix every other Thursday IIRC. (how has there not been a Junkey Ball run for Awful Block)

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

While it's not GDQ I enjoy Grandpoobear speedrun sessions. Those have nothing to do we charity, however.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

is there like a master speedrun marathon calendar out there somewhere

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I recommend the Big Bad Game-a-thon if you like that sorts of jam and Retrothon is probably my favourite event after GDQ.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

TeaJay posted:

I recommend the Big Bad Game-a-thon if you like that sorts of jam and Retrothon is probably my favourite event after GDQ.

There's also RPG Limit Break on May 19th for people who like the long RPG runs.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it'd be really cool if people made sure to post when speedrunning events were happening over in the year-round speedrunning thread b/c i know for sure I always constantly am missing things happening

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Autisanal Cheese posted:

is there like a master speedrun marathon calendar out there somewhere
There is, in fact!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

woke kaczynski posted:

I mean it's a little unfair to expect him to play dark souls surely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGcdHLVWTa4

a bunny can do it :colbert:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It is hard to get excited about something that is no different from the @BunnyTimezone account on Mastodon.

E: just joshing, this is very cute and cool.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 23, 2024

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

This is not on pace for the leaderboard :colbert:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I'm not gonna watch any of it.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Rubellavator posted:

That's part of it, but my point is that nobody really speedruns TGM.

the list of people who have competed for the record in TGM 1 at a particular arcade in Japan is twice as long as the speedrun.com leaderboards for a third of the games in any given GDQ

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

This is seriously the only place I could think to ask but is there an SA thread for people affected by cancer? Google gives me nothing.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

This is seriously the only place I could think to ask but is there an SA thread for people affected by cancer? Google gives me nothing.

The Goon Doctor subforum would probably have one, if I had to guess. Sorry for whatever you're going through.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I had renal cancer myself in 2014. I feel like I lucked out because I only got sick once, they found I was stage 2 and took out the offending organ. Good thing I had a spare.

F cancer.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

someone awful. posted:

The Goon Doctor subforum would probably have one, if I had to guess. Sorry for whatever you're going through.

Thank you, my partner was diagnosed. It got caught really early so it's hopefully nothing bigger.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

ESA has their winter marathon the week of 17 feb

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ilmucche posted:

ESA has their winter marathon the week of 17 feb

esa is run by transphobes who try and 'both sides' nazis and the people that call out nazis. gently caress 'em.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

esa is run by transphobes who try and 'both sides' nazis and the people that call out nazis. gently caress 'em.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm usually pretty exhausted for speedruns after GDQ, but ESA winter has a few things I want to see - OpenTaiko which I assume is a drum showcase, Alan Wake 2 ... and a 65 player original Sonic trilogy relay. I assume it will go like the Mario 64 relay they had some previous year.

Also, going through the GDQ backlog, I again recommend this Typing of the Dead run if you haven't seen it, some great tech and funny word combos with impeccable keyboardmanship from peaches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2UOCwcSsBY

Here's the Twitch timestamped link if you want to see the chat take on his challenge.

https://twitch.tv/videos/2032403661?t=56997s

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 24, 2024

ZeGoggles
Jun 6, 2022

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Yeah, it's really a shame what happened to ESA. The early ones were so much fun! A speedrun marathon in my country so it's not super expensive to attend! A marathon that I literally came up with the name for!

But after the Punchy thing, it's dead to me, and some of the poo poo they've pulled since has not made things better. They need to get their heads out of their arses and start issuing some apologies and fully commit to indefinitely banning chuds.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
is there a TLDR on what esa did/does, because this is the first i've heard (i dont pay too close attention to esa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think there's a pastebin, no. And I don't know if there's enough reliable information to make big accusations, so I just try to avoid it and focus on some fun speedruns instead.