Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL7cpG2UhE

The new 6-episode season of True Detective, which premiered tonight at 9pm Eastern on Max.

Starring:

Jodie Foster
Kali Reis
Fiona Shaw
Finn Bennett
Isabella Star LaBlanc
John Hawkes

Trivia from the Wiki:

quote:

The season was filmed in Iceland, with a reported budget of $60 million. Filming began in November 2022, and wrapped in April 2023. The conditions included nighttime shoots at −23 °C (−9 °F), which director López commented on by stating "I’m Mexican, so I’m really not fond of the cold". She continued by referring to how viewers found the environment authentic: "because we were there, because the actors were cold, because the filmmakers were cold."

Discuss!

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, this had a phenomenal opening. I am all in for this season.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, that effect with the head blown apart :stare:

e: A show that feels this cold is perfect for the arctic blast that's sweeping the US

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 15, 2024

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
Well goddamn.

Six episodes, right? Sad it'll be so short, but I'm excited that they have to really drive forward.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
When the Extreme Polar Bear Ice Dipping Challenge goes awry.

Theory time:

”She’s awake!” Dude had tremors. He was exposed to some ancient virus they thawed out… along with an Ice Woman!

e: What’s dead chick connection?

She’s an unfortunate witness to Ice Woman’s revival at the lab! Or she’s Ice Woman’s victim and had to be disposed of by Lab staff in a very public location to keep things unassociated from the Lab :lol:

Supernatural angle is that the ancient frozen virus the lab thawed out is now aerosolized and spread through the town and they’re having hallucinations due to it.

Dead Son Travis gave me Killer BOB vibes.

Inuit Cop’s spirit animal was that one-eyed polar bear she saw on the street, right?

Odoyle fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 15, 2024

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

the caribou looked like poo poo lol this is gonna be worse than s2

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Whoops, I should have checked. I guess someone should kill mine.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I AM GRANDO posted:

Whoops, I should have checked. I guess someone should kill mine.

Once the killing starts, who knows when it will end?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The real question is which thread for this show will survive

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know (think?) it wasn't originally written as a True Detective season, just got the branding later, but I was surprised at how much I was feeling The Terror vibes from the first episode. I mean that in the best way possible, show looks great and I dig the two leads so far, and it's weird and spooky and unsettling and COOOOOLD.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Jerusalem posted:

I know (think?) it wasn't originally written as a True Detective season, just got the branding later, but I was surprised at how much I was feeling The Terror vibes from the first episode. I mean that in the best way possible, show looks great and I dig the two leads so far, and it's weird and spooky and unsettling and COOOOOLD.

It's got that Nordic subgenre Really Far North and its isolation, madness and despair feeling down pretty well. Set in A Place People Should Not Be but are there to take something from the earth and it costs them everything.

I recognized the hunter in the opening, Angunnguaq Larsen, as the lead in Thin Ice, a show set in Greenland and I hope to see more of him, he was very good in a rather mediocre series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’ve been thinking about that scene with the delivery guy and the tongue. It seems totally redundant from a storytelling perspective, in that the police show up to investigate the missing scientists and find the tongue right where he finds it. What purpose will this scene and the delivery driver serve? We do get a shot of a fast-moving human figure in black jeans and a tshirt, sex ambiguous. I wonder if he will turn back up or if there’s something interesting about his truck, which doesn’t seem to be there when Jodie Foster shows up.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Odoyle posted:

Inuit Cop’s spirit animal was that one-eyed polar bear she saw on the street, right?

Jodie Foster's kid's (I guess?) toy polar bear only had one eye a.s well Not sure what the connection is there,.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Syncopated posted:

Jodie Foster's kid's (I guess?) toy polar bear only had one eye a.s well Not sure what the connection is there,.

The smiley face patch on the ice station guy’s pink jacket, not present in the photo of the murdered woman wearing it, also has one eye closed.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

The smiley face patch on the ice station guy’s pink jacket, not present in the photo of the murdered woman wearing it, also has one eye closed.

oh poo poo! Guess we'll be on the lookout for a one-eyed man...

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Just finished the premiere ten minutes ago. I'm not sure what I watched.

It definitely feels like a True Detective show. Well, not all of it actually; the beginning before the credits was like a mid-budget film in the vein of Invisible Man or something. They even had that shot where someone runs past the camera so fast and so close to it that you can't tell what they look like. The rest also deviates somewhat from the pattern. Supernatural elements being hinted at and even (ambiguously) present are something that TD is known for, mostly for the first season. But here we have every other character hallucinating or briefly stepping into another world (although hallucinations are not supernatural I don't think that's what they're meant to be.) Lights flickering on and off at times that punctuate the drama is a bold choice too. I'll see where this goes.

Final thoughts:
  • I can handle the detail that ties the case together being the missing eye. It'd be better than a throwaway like '16 not 15'.
  • The relationship between Hank and Jody Foster is something I hope develops, and is revealed to be more than just that she was his subordinate but was promoted ahead of him and he's not cool with this.
  • Kate was mentioned. I hope she's the badass interesting character of the season. Even though she's likely not the one responsible for the deaths because having the presumable mining boss be the baddie is something lesser show do.
  • The ending was the best part. Especially if those guys aren't from the station.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I enjoyed the episode but it was kind of shocking to see how quickly and how hard they leaned into the "supernatural" stuff that is usually waaaaaay in the background. Definitely too early to judge, and I need a second viewing, but I'm always hesitant when a show wants to "ride the line" but then shows just the viewer (only) stuff that wouldn't be reconcilable with that. Need more episodes before I start to worry about it though.

Found out today on one of my podcasts that the director Issa López did Tigers Are Not Afraid which is an absolutely incredible / beautiful / heartbreaking film that I'd recommend to anyone.

Also the scene in the jail with Stacy wailing in the cell and Jodie Foster trying to ignore it is the most Twin Peaks thing I've seen on television since Twin Peaks and I love it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

fullroundaction posted:

Also the scene in the jail with Stacy wailing in the cell and Jodie Foster trying to ignore it is the most Twin Peaks thing I've seen on television since Twin Peaks and I love it.

This scene had the opposite effect for me! I really liked this detail because it was such a contrast to shows and movies where everything is unrealistically quiet when exposition is being explained.

Jodie Foster is a wild character so far. She tells Navarro that most detectives don't dwell on cases and that is a clever way to be realistic (for mostly better, I've never seen a colleague in the hospital pick one specific patient to carry around with them for a decade, haven't known my lawyer friends to do this, and I assume cops don't either). I was also a bit shocked that she's raising an IaIñupiat girl and was presumably married to an Iñupiat man but isn't above crudely taunting Navarro about her culture.

I may have been hard on the show in my post above but there are some very fine elements. Especially little details. That scene where it shows the Rose looking through the window, and then shows her through the same window coming outside? More of this please!

Oh, and, you don't have enough money to make me watch Tigers are Not afraid, because I don't have enough tissues.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 16, 2024

Suspekt Device
Jan 9, 2017

I'm hoping that Navarro's facial piercings get explained. Also the last shot in episode 1 is awesome.

Suspekt Device fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 16, 2024

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Odoyle posted:

”She’s awake!” Dude had tremors. He was exposed to some ancient virus they thawed out… along with an Ice Woman!

This is what I'm thinking too. It's a play on all these recent stories in the last few years of we dug up these ancient microbes from the permafrost, 40 million years old, and they woke up when we unthawed them. I think the oil company has been drilling, and when that woman was killed years ago, it was because some infected oil rig employee went nutso and killed her. After the oil companies internal investigation, the determine that the killer was infected with something, so they set up the lab to investigate. We can see they've been drilling core samples, and basically all their employees are focused around microbiology, most specifically that one guy who was a "paleo microbiologist". So after years of study, they finally realize discover the pathogen that has been dug up, but at that point they realize they're probably all infected, hence the "we are all dead" message. Same pathogen is what drove the caribou crazy and drove them off the cliff, and most likely the wolf was infected and got into the old woman, which is why she is now seeing/hallucinating the guy that has been dead for years. So I suspect more people in town will be getting infected and going crazy and doing snow crimes.

That, or they drop all pretenses and actually go supernatural, instead of just hinting at it like previous seasons. There was that prominent copy of The Thing on display when Foster was trying to turn off Feriss Buellers.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The real question is which thread for this show will survive

Yeah that's the most interesting thing about this season for me so far. :imunfunny:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Why am I waking up and hearing that the bros of the internet are trying to review bomb this already. For fucks sake.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Shammypants posted:

Why am I waking up and hearing that the bros of the internet are trying to review bomb this already. For fucks sake.

Women make up like 4% of homicide detectives. A team consisting of two of them together wasn't due until TD Season 2541 at the earliest if they were being realistic. This is pure woke pandering.

Is that the jist of it? Because I'm certainly not going to look into it myself.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
It also isn’t being down rated at all. It’s currently at 92 percent from critics and 72 percent from an audience score

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

e: Wrong thread sorry

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 17, 2024

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Suspekt Device posted:

I'm hoping that Navarro's facial piercings get explained. Also the last shot in episode 1 is awesome.

What? What about her facial piercings need to be explained?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll rewatch season 2 of True Detective if they do a director's cut where the motorcycle cop gets threatened with being outed as a gay man and he says,"....okay? Go ahead? :confused:" and then the people trying to blackmail him go,"gently caress..." because they realize that it's not the 1980s.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Jerusalem posted:

I'll rewatch season 2 of True Detective if they do a director's cut where the motorcycle cop gets threatened with being outed as a gay man and he says,"....okay? Go ahead? :confused:" and then the people trying to blackmail him go,"gently caress..." because they realize that it's not the 1980s.

Yea dude makes perfect sense for an up and coming state trooper who is purposefully closeted. Totally no problem there.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Danger posted:

i know what you're getting at here but this a a show mostly for elderly white americans
her facial piercings need to be explained

and mark my words they will be

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Danger posted:

I mean are police allowed to have dimple piercings while on duty? That is actually slightly confusing.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

That’s such an insane thing to “need” to explaining. I’m very glad no one here writes for tv lol.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m imagining the episode of Lost about how Jack got his tattoo.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Danger posted:

That’s such an insane thing to “need” to explaining. I’m very glad no one here writes for tv lol.

you didn't understand my post

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

roomtone posted:

you didn't understand my post

I don't think anyone did.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

What is the lore behind her huge muscles and long ponytail?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Leon Sumbitches posted:

What is the lore behind her huge muscles and long ponytail?

4 year old youtube video title for Abby from TLOU2

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If someone is from a different culture you aren't super familiar with, it's not beyond the pale to wonder if a body modification you've never seen before has some kind of cultural significance or not. Like any of the rest of you have ever seen a cop with dimple piercings before.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

The actress has dimple piercings. It's not at all a mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Closing this thread because people seem to be using the other thread instead and we don't need 2 threads for the same show.