Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

So, you're dumbphone curious? Here's a thread for you!

Why a dumbphone?

People seem to have various reasons for wanting to do this. My (cruft's) reason is simply that I was going to have to buy yet another $500-$800 smartphone, when I'm still using the same Chromebook from 3 smartphones ago. That's not a recurring cost I feel is worth the expense, so I stopped doing it.

How are you able to do this?

Actually, the difficult part for me was weaning myself off the smartphone. It took about a year of slowly transitioning how I work back to using the laptop. Installing a launcher that just shows white text for 4 apps helped me stop pulling out the phone whenever I was bored, and disabling newsfeeds in various apps (web browser, search app, etc.) helped too. Becoming more active on Something Awful was actually part of this.

I don't recommend switching to a dumbphone as a way of forcing yourself off social media or whatever, like many "I tried using a flip phone, read what happened next" article authors have done. You have to first find your way to a place where you don't need the phone. Then you can get rid of it.

Aren't dumbphones/featurephones pretty bad?

Yep.

But it doesn't matter much, because you hardly ever use them. My Light Phone 2 gets used to place phone calls, send short text messages, and it yells at me when I need to leave for an appointment. That's about it. Battery lasts 2 days because I just don't pull it out of my pocket. And it fits in my smallest pockets, which is nice.

What about apps?

I only need two smartphone apps right now, which I run on a Chromebook:

1. The Microsoft Authenticator app. Why can't I run it in Windows on my work computer? Who knows. When I get upgraded to Windows 11, I'll be able to install the Windows Subsystem for Android, and run it under emulation on my work computer.

2. A bank app, for depositing the one check I get every 6 weeks or so.

I actually have some Android games on there, but whatever, I don't feel like that counts: they are fully optional.

Everything else, including SomethingAwful, works in a web browser.

How do you get places on travel?

I do a fair amount of business travel, so this is important. Turns out you can get Google Maps on even a $40 Nokia. My Light Phone 2 has a maps thing in it as well: it's adequate for walking and driving, but you have to know in advance where you're going.

Because I touch computers for a living, though, I'm usually within 6 feet of a laptop. And Google Maps works great in a web browser. So far, this hasn't been a big problem.

cruft fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I've been using a Nokia flip for a few weeks. My initial impressions are... this could work.

I was expecting essentially the same experience I had with my Nokia 5310, so that was my basis for comparison coming over. It was quite the conundrum for me giving that phone up in favor of a Google Nexus One. I switched back to the 5310 several times. But eventually it got put in a drawer, then given to a kid who needed an MP3 player.

Other than this thing being gigantic (but still smaller than the smartphone!), I would say every aspect of it is an improvement over the 5310. The music player shows album art and can sort by album. The camera is better. The user interface feels faster, and I have to press fewer buttons to get where I want to be. The browser can load web pages: real web pages, in 2024. It has Google Maps! It at least attempted to sync my contacts from the Internet (it crashed, but it tried!) I think it did sync my calendar! I can read my Gmail! T9 completed my weirdly-spelled first name! THIS PHONE IS AMAZING!

The ads... are unfortunate. But I have a plan.

I immediately turned on debugging, because I know myself and the temptation to write my own apps is going to be impossible to avoid. Looks like it uses adb? Still investigating. But if I can sideload my own apps, written in HTML5 and JavaScript, that's going to be huge. I wrote my own ebook reader for the 5310 using J2ME, and read a couple books, including Moby Dick! On that dinky-rear end screen! I think I read a total of 0 books on the smartphones I've had: there are too many distractions. So maybe an ePub reader will be my first coding task.

Tonight I guess I'll try to bluetooth sync some important contacts. Tomorrow, hopefully, my Google Fi SIM card will arrive, and I'll see how horrible that is. I have a dumbwireless SIM card ready to go, but I'm not quite ready to turn that on, because I'll probably want to port my phone number over when I do that.

It's early days, the thing is still exciting and I haven't had time to get sick of anything yet. But so far this is better than what I was expecting. Onward we go!

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 22, 2024

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do you have muscle memory for texting from a regular keypad? That's one thing I always sucked at, and why one of my all-time favorite phones was also a Nokia feature phone that looked like this one only more curved, I think:

Other than the fact I'd struggle with texting on it that's a pretty nice-looking little phone you've picked up.

Edit: And another one of my favorite phones was also a feature phone - the LG Envy 2. That thing was awesome.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 20, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

You know, it's funny, when I tell people about this project, I get a lot of nostalgia. People who lived in the featurephone era all seem to have fond memories of one or two favorites. Mine was than Nokia 5310.

A co-worker told me about this thing she had that was smaller than a credit card. Another co-worker was telling me that she and her friends got so good at T9 input, they were able to hold the phone under their desk during class and text each other without looking.

I'm picking T9 back up pretty quickly. "going" is so satisfying to enter. "I" autocompletes to "G", which is annoying and dumb, but whatever. Punctuation is different: now you bring up a punctuation menu and press the button for what you want. It's not bad. You enter Emoji the same way, and the set is limited, but, again, whatever. I've got the heart, the laughy face, 100, and like 5 pages more.

I installed a QR code scanner app which seems to pretty much work. Group texts work, although there's "No Subject" on each one. My wife and daughter are sending me GIFs that animate when I open them. So far, so good.

I did realize last night that there's no "auto quiet mode". So that might suck. And I can't assign ring tones for certain contacts, so there's no way to tell from bed who's calling. But this has happened maybe 3 times in the last 7 years, so it might not even be a problem. In the 80s, you couldn't set your landline phones to do not disturb, and we were okay.

I got it paired with the car last night, no problems there. Music and phone calls work, although it doesn't display what's currently playing. Honestly, there's not much benefit to playing music from the phone to the car: I can load tracks on the thumb drive just as easily.

No showstoppers yet.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Funny you've had no issues with T9. That always seemed like a special sort of hell to me. When I started texting regularly, my phone was the kind that has a T9 in front, but had a full keyboard that slid out. Also surprised that gifs work on your phone. A few things I seriously miss about that phone was the near indestructible quality of it compared to any smartphone, and obviously the battery life being in a class of its own.

Few questions for you, because in the year 2024 I see this lifestyle as a quaint but terrifying experience, like cottagecore living or raw meat diets.

1) Your impressions of the phone seem overall good. Is there anything you feel is low tech enough to be in a dumbphone, but is still mostly exclusive to smart phones? You mentioned being unable to assign contact-specific ring tones, which would suck for me but my phone is on silent 99% of the time.

2) Any pushback from friends? Even if social networking platforms didn't exist, I feel like smartphones are still a wildly social device. Do you have any push back from friends or colleagues about being harder to reach/google-facetime/send links to?

3) Are you on a cheaper monthly plan? I imagine its hard to gobble up data on dumbphone as easily as a smartphone.

4) What was the impetus for all this?

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 23, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

buglord posted:

Funny you've had no issues with T9. That always seemed like a special sort of hell to me. When I started texting regularly, my phone was the kind that has a T9 in front, but had a full keyboard that slid out. Also surprised that gifs work on your phone. A few things I seriously miss about that phone was the near indestructible quality of it compared to any smartphone, and obviously the battery life being in a class of its own.

Few questions for you, because in the year 2024 I see this lifestyle as a quaint but terrifying experience, like cottagecore living or raw meat diets.

1) Your impressions of the phone seem overall good. Is there anything you feel is low tech enough to be in a dumbphone, but is still mostly exclusive to smart phones? You mentioned being unable to assign contact-specific ring tones, which would suck for me but my phone is on silent 99% of the time.

2) Any pushback from friends? Even if social networking platforms didn't exist, I feel like smartphones are still a wildly social device. Do you have any push back from friends or colleagues about being harder to reach/google-facetime/send links to?

3) Are you on a cheaper monthly plan? I imagine its hard to gobble up data on dumbphone as easily as a smartphone.

4) What was the impetus for all this?

I mean, bear in mind, I've only had the thing for 4 days. This may not be a long-lived experiment ;)

My impressions of the phone are "I could make this work." I wouldn't say it's good, really. Just workable. There are several smartphone things that could easily translate to featurephones, but clearly the development effort right now is on smartphone operating systems. Things like quiet hours, per-contact ringtones, not having it beep when the battery is full, diacriticals (accents) on the keyboard, multi-language typing, really good photo postprocessing... Really, Android could run on this phone, and the Xiaomi F22 actually does work that way: you just have to send all your data to Xiaomi in exchange. I think the underpinnings of KaiOS actually is Android: you use adb to talk to the phone, for instance.

My friends already know I'm a weirdo. We mostly use Signal to communicate, and I'm using the desktop app for that. I'm trying to get everybody to go back to IRC, which has improved a lot since 2005 (I've been helping drive those improvements). My daughter even hopped on IRC the other day so I could help her with some calculus homework: she was able to upload images and the whole bit. My family is fine texting me, but I've noticed we're calling each other much more frequently now, which, frankly, is nice.

I'm on a more expensive monthly plan for now! I'm actually on two plans: I'm still on our Google Fi family plan ($20/mo) because I'm not sure this is going to work out and I don't want to abandon that just yet. Then I'm paying a $30/mo plan for the flip, from dumbwireless. My kid is seriously considering getting the same phone in August (see below) and then we'd move to a T-Mobile plan that's comparable. Because I travel a lot, I still need to tether my computer, so I do need a beefy data plan. But the phone itself hardly uses anything, you're right.

When I got the Pixel 6, I was irritated with how large it was. Right around the same time, my wife bought me a nice pair of pants, and the phone just will not fit in the pockets. I know that sounds petty, but it drove home how frickin' huge these things were. The Nokia 5310 I have fond memories of fit in the watch pocket of jeans, and this thing wouldn't even fit in a regular pocket. That was the start.

For the last year+, cruft jr and I have been trying a "digital detox" program. Initially it was willpower alone, which failed. Then we switched to a text-only launcher on Android, which helped tremendously. I started trying to get IRC working again around the time it was announced Signal lost an income stream because the NSA (or was it the CIA?) stopped funding them. While she was home for the winter, jr and I compared how much we were using our phones in a day: about an hour each. That's far less than the national average, but it still felt like a lot. Her boyfriend visited a few times, and I noticed that every time there was a 2-second lull in what we were doing, he pulled his phone out and started madly scrolling through cat videos or whatever the hell he was doing. I don't think it's just him, that's just what people do now, but it was annoying.

This all got me thinking, why am I paying $500-$800 every 3-5 years for something I'm trying hard to use less? How is it that my Thinkpad X220 from 2011 is still rocking, and I've gone through 4-5 smartphones since then?

Then it came to a head when I discovered that Jr's phone is going to stop getting security updates in August. I've got until then to figure out if it's even possible to not drop another >$500 on something that makes us unhappy. I'm the tech nerd (by profession!): I was the one who introduced smartphones to the family, and maybe I can be the one who backs us out.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I miss flip phones. Like the act of physically pulling out my Motorola T720 and flinging it open with one hand and mashing out a text or answering a call. I don't think I could manage without a smartphone these days. It provides a sliver of escapism from my poo poo job.

Actually posting from my Pixel right now, at work. heh.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ms Cruft just ordered a Light Phone 2.

I'm a trend setter :smug:

hoppits
Jan 21, 2017

I’m borderline about to start using a dumb phone just to disconnect from the internet; When I’m out and about. Maybe I’ll print out maps and stuff like that before I go out or hook up a GPS to my thinkpad and use something like open street maps on it. I’ll be so cool rocking a 4G Nokia phone for 40 dollars from Amazon with a MVNO plan that costs me 15 dollars a month and I won’t even care! Screw your modernity I’m about to leave my iMessage group chat behind! You can talk to me on telegram instead on my laptop!

hahahahahahaha! ;) :D

hoppits fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 18, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah, I guess I'm a month in now? Here's where things stand:

Cruft Jr took the Nokia, and I took the Light Phone. Jr likes having a camera, and I like having something small. I'm actually tethered to it right now as I write this :)

Google Fi just does not deliver group text messages normally. It looks like they're base64-encoded or something, and the light phone doesn't know what to do with them. Moving everybody out of this family plan is a pain, and I have to go last, so I've had two phone numbers for a while now. I don't love it.

Cell phone plans are crazy expensive! What the deuce! I'm paying $80/month for 4 people right now, with unlimited data. The going rate outside of Google looks like $120 for the same thing. Mint mobile looks like they can do something similar to Google? I know nothing about them. I'll have to check and see how vulnerable they are to SIM swapping attacks.

Moving all these damned bank apps onto a 2FA method that isn't "prove you have this SIM card" is going to be a chore.

There are still a number of Android apps that I have to run, which is annoying. There's a healthcare app Jr might be using that is app-only. Last night we needed to charge the car at a Blink charger, and the app runs on the Chromebook but won't let you sign in. The Android app is total garbage, though, so I ordered a card: I probably would have done that anyway. The app is really bad.

So right now it's looking like I have a Chromebook, and the Light Phone, and really the only question is how I get service.

e: holy crap, *everybody* is vulnerable to SIM swapping attacks. I'm going to have to look into whether there's any way around this. VoIP, maybe.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 17, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It sounds like you've made your life more complicated to save a few bucks. You've not really 'digitally detoxed,' instead you just use your Chromebook (which you apparently have to lug around now) for things that would be easier with a smartphone.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

It sounds like you've made your life more complicated to save a few bucks. You've not really 'digitally detoxed,' instead you just use your Chromebook (which you apparently have to lug around now) for things that would be easier with a smartphone.

That feels a little bit like where I've wound up!

I guess the thing is, I'm on travel a lot. Like, I'm on travel right now. The smartphone is pretty helpful on travel, but it's also crappy as a tiny laptop. So I was carrying around a phone and a chromebook before anyway. Now the phone is smaller, and the chromebook gets more use. When I'm not on travel, like, just poking around town or whatever, I don't really need a full smartphone anyway, and I certainly don't need a chromebook.

I'm not sure. I mean, you're not wrong... but I guess I should have mentioned as part of the story that I had the chromebook everywhere I went while on travel. Maybe that's the unique set of circumstances that makes this an attractive option for me.

And I probably made it sound like I was whipping out the Chromebook all the time for android apps for, like, banking and stuff. That's not really how it's working. I thought it might work that way, until I discovered how garbage these car charging apps actually are, and just put in orders for their cards. Like, the Blink app is just bad, even on a real smartphone: it was taking 10-15 seconds to respond to every tap. Here's the list of Android apps I have installed right now:

• Bank app
  • Signal
  • Plex
  • PlexAmp
  • PlayBook
  • ScummVM
  • LEGO Jurassic Park
  • The House of DaVinci
  • The authentication app work requires

So a bank app, a chat app, two apps to play music and movies, an audiobook player, and three games. And that stupid thing for work.

I *had* more bank apps installed, until I realized the web pages were better. I'm leaving one on here so I can deposit checks with the camera, but I'm not, like, depositing checks every whipstitch: that's a once or twice a month sort of thing, which, whatever.

I guess the main thing I'm learning on this short trip is that the apps aren't typically an improvement over the web site. And also that Day Of The Tentacle is still pretty fun.

And I'm re-learning about VoIP providers, so I can decouple my SMS authentication codes from my contact phone number, which is something I apparently should have done a long time ago.

cruft fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 19, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

That feels a little bit like where I've wound up!

I guess the thing is, I'm on travel a lot. Like, I'm on travel right now. The smartphone is pretty helpful on travel, but it's also crappy as a tiny laptop. So I was carrying around a phone and a chromebook before anyway. Now the phone is smaller, and the chromebook gets more use. When I'm not on travel, like, just poking around town or whatever, I don't really need a full smartphone anyway, and I certainly don't need a chromebook.

I'm not sure. I mean, you're not wrong... but I guess I should have mentioned as part of the story that I had the chromebook everywhere I went while on travel. Maybe that's the unique set of circumstances that makes this an attractive option for me.

And I probably made it sound like I was whipping out the Chromebook all the time for android apps for, like, banking and stuff. That's not really how it's working. I thought it might work that way, until I discovered how garbage these car charging apps actually are, and just put in orders for their cards. Like, the Blink app is just bad, even on a real smartphone: it was taking 10-15 seconds to respond to every tap. Here's the list of Android apps I have installed right now:

• Bank app
  • Signal
  • Plex
  • PlexAmp
  • PlayBook
  • ScummVM
  • LEGO Jurassic Park
  • The House of DaVinci
  • The authentication app work requires

So a bank app, a chat app, two apps to play music and movies, an audiobook player, and three games. And that stupid thing for work.

I *had* more bank apps installed, until I realized the web pages were better. I'm leaving one on here so I can deposit checks with the camera, but I'm not, like, depositing checks every whipstitch: that's a once or twice a month sort of thing, which, whatever.

I guess the main thing I'm learning on this short trip is that the apps aren't typically an improvement over the web site. And also that Day Of The Tentacle is still pretty fun.

And I'm re-learning about VoIP providers, so I can decouple my SMS authentication codes from my contact phone number, which is something I apparently should have done a long time ago.

would a tablet of some sort work, maybe something that lives in a bag in the car or whatever so you don't always have it on your person?

IDK what the state of Android tablets is now (probably poo poo), but I'd have no issue recommending somebody a base model iPad or iPad mini, even one a few years old, as a sort of digital sidekick/"commonplace book" for pretty much all of that stuff. If you're ok spending $5-10 a month/as needed you could even get something with the capability of adding cellular internet for when you travel, but then I guess you've really sort of horseshoe'd your way back to smartphone use at that point, even if I think that a tablet adds a level of separation that makes it an improvement for your particular aims.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 22, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

would a tablet of some sort work, maybe something that lives in a bag in the car or whatever so you don't always have it on your person?

Yeah, I think that could be a pretty nice solution for folks who want to do this! My Chromebook is 11.0 inches diagonal, and you can rip the keyboard off, so it's essentially a tablet with a cool pen that can run Linux in a VM and has an optional keyboard and trackpad.

I know a person at my last job who used a gigantic iPad instead of a laptop: it had an optional keyboard and trackpad, and a cool pen. So... yeah. I think that's definitely doable.

I've got a wireless plan that lets me use the phone as an access point, so I don't need a separate data-only plan. It would be pretty dreamy to have a SIM card in the Chromebook, but I don't think it supports that, and I'm not sure I would be willing to pay for it. But that'd be a pretty badass setup!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

cruft posted:

Yeah, I think that could be a pretty nice solution for folks who want to do this! My Chromebook is 11.0 inches diagonal, and you can rip the keyboard off, so it's essentially a tablet with a cool pen that can run Linux in a VM and has an optional keyboard and trackpad.

I know a person at my last job who used a gigantic iPad instead of a laptop: it had an optional keyboard and trackpad, and a cool pen. So... yeah. I think that's definitely doable.

I've got a wireless plan that lets me use the phone as an access point, so I don't need a separate data-only plan. It would be pretty dreamy to have a SIM card in the Chromebook, but I don't think it supports that, and I'm not sure I would be willing to pay for it. But that'd be a pretty badass setup!

I splurged but also saved a bunch on a new-old-stock 2021 iPad Pro from a Woot deal in November, in the sense that I dropped like $1300 on it when you include the Magic Keyboard which is practically a necessity if you want it to do laptop-replacement + Pencil but also it's the TOTL 2 terabyte model with onboard SIM that retailed for like $2200 and I got it for like 55% off (it was like $850 or $900 I think?).

I take it literally everywhere with me and use it for graphic work and filming stuff (yes, actually) for work and for loving around with music stuff for fun, so I feel like the investment was worth it in my case and it's allowed me to more or less totally replace an 11 year old Macbook Pro with it + my desktop PC, but you could go much much cheaper depending on which features you could comfortably do without. A base model or a Mini, or Air if you want to use the fancy keyboard + trackpad base is basically as good for most people and can come in as low as like $250.

I mostly went with the Pro because having that much onboard storage for <$1k was important to me but I will say that the creature comforts of the high refresh display, quad speakers, and M1 legroom are really nice to use (I know this is the opposite of what you want). Also I hate saying how much I actually love the Magic Keyboard but I wouldn't begrudge anybody balking at its price. I grabbed the Pencil for like $79 on sale and felt it was fair. Like with all Apple products, but especially iOS ones it really benefits from you being "in the ecosystem", but less so than some other products. Airpods Pro are nice and having them auto switch between devices is nice, but this is the thread for discussing not having a smartphone.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 22, 2024

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
dumbphones rule because you can whatsapp on them

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
also the forums adapt surprisingly well to a S40 phone.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

goblin week posted:

also the forums adapt surprisingly well to a S40 phone.

Whatcha rockin' there, friend? I feel like KaiOS was maybe not an improvement over S40.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I had high hopes for kaiOS. I haven’t checked back in a while, maybe I will soon. At the time it seemed like they didn’t have the app store figured out. I didn’t see a way to submit applications and not all apps were available on all phones (which can make sense, but this was definitely a fragmentation issue and not based on capability.)

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

I had high hopes for kaiOS. I haven’t checked back in a while, maybe I will soon. At the time it seemed like they didn’t have the app store figured out. I didn’t see a way to submit applications and not all apps were available on all phones (which can make sense, but this was definitely a fragmentation issue and not based on capability.)

It's still a mess. You're required to have ads now, and on the newer OS versions, there's no way to sideload apps (there's no developer mode).

I feel like KaiOS had a lot of promise, but they ran out of money before they could really get it going.

Light Phone 2 update: it's fine. Things I wish they would improve: bluetooth (it's near-useless in the car, and none of the headphone controls do anything), indicator on poweroff screen (right now it's just blank). Maps served me well enough on my visit to New Orleans. But mainly it does its job and whatever. The nice thing about having a phone that doesn't do much is that its shortcomings are somehow more tolerable.

Cruft Jr's Nokia flip update: also fine. She's gotten better at T9, I'd say her speed is on par with the smartphone now. She likes playing bejeweled, and she does use the camera a fair amount. She hasn't used the maps much, interestingly. It has bizarre compatibility issues with various USB C cables. But overall it's fine and whatever.

We both still have Android devices sitting in drawers turned off. I turn mine on every 2 weeks or so, for apps that refuse to install on the Chromebook and don't have a web page (ahem Tesla). She uses hers for the same reason, about as frequently. Ms Cruft and CruftFather are still using their Android phones.

Last night I did another survey to see if there's anything with the same feature set as the Light Phone 2 but less money. There isn't. What a world!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

cruft posted:

Whatcha rockin' there, friend? I feel like KaiOS was maybe not an improvement over S40.

I used to mainphone a Nokia 112 for the longest while. Still use it on international travels because of how easy it is to accidentally expend those 10$/MB connections from away of EU on an iphone

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

It's not a dumbphone, but the TIQ Mini M5 looks pretty interesting for those seeking a smaller phone...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I just saw two people post in the A/T phone recommendation thread asking about a dumbphone. So maybe it's time for me to bump this with an update on how it's going.

It's going fine.

Light Phone 2

The podcast app is meh, but it works. I have to remember what episode I listened to last, don't love that. But it remembers where I left off in that episode.

The music player is also meh, but it works. I used it to run three consecutive stage shows last weekend, for house music. It was fine. The 3.5mm jack is handy, but Bluetooth works fine.

Bluetooth support is also meh. It works. You can't start/stop playback from the earbuds/car, that I can tell. It doesn't tell your car what your contacts are, so I'm having to initiate calls on the phone, which is lame. The result is that I stopped trying to call people while I'm driving, which is turning out to not be a big deal for me. It also doesn't deliver text messages to the car, which I don't love. I just bought a little USB thumb drive to load up with music, because every car we own can play MP3s from a thumb drive. So the phone really is just a car phone that I get calls on, like it's 1991.

The maps app gets a little use from me, for walking directions. No complaints.

Call quality is good enough. I do like how, after moving off Google Fi, I no longer have a >3-second latency. I'm no longer interrupting people in conversations, they feel a lot more natural. That would probably be true of any change in cell service, though.

Texting is fine. It's not very responsive, but it does let you type ahead of the display. I can text people when I want to, and it's not a big deal. I am not texting non-stop, though. It's a way to send short messages when I can't call or type on the computer. The phone doesn't have quiet hours, but the "elevator is here" ding it makes for text messages is so chill that I just sleep through it. There's somehow less urgency associated with getting and sending text messages now. I like it.

It does group texts and MMS. When someone sends me a photo, I get an email with the photo in it.

Tethering works just great, I use it all the time.

Nokia 2780

Cruft jr is still using it. The camera seems like an important feature for a college student. Jr also seems to be enjoying playing bejeweled? Friends seem curious about it, I won't be surprised to hear in a few months that one of Jr's college pals is dipping their toes in the dumbphone water.

It does group texts and MMS. Photos display on the phone screen, and you can zoom in, because the screen resolution is awful.

We talk on the phone now. We never did that before: it was exclusively text messages. Calling Jr doesn't feel like an invasion: I don't text first, and neither does Jr. We seem to have an unspoken agreement that it's okay to not answer if you're busy, and if it's important, we'll call twice.

KaiOS is kind of crap. Honestly, the Light Phone 2 is also kind of crap, too. It just doesn't matter, because the phone is no longer a central part of life for either of us.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
This is a cool idea and I’m enjoying the ongoing experiment. I’ve looked at the newer HMD / Nokia non-smartphones occasionally. The main sticking point for me is Signal on mobile because I use it with my partner and too many friends. It’s kind of ironic because I helped lots of them switch over from SMS, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp, and even FB Messenger over the years. Feels like a big ask for them to change again just to indulge me on something like this.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gloom posted:

This is a cool idea and I’m enjoying the ongoing experiment. I’ve looked at the newer HMD / Nokia non-smartphones occasionally. The main sticking point for me is Signal on mobile because I use it with my partner and too many friends. It’s kind of ironic because I helped lots of them switch over from SMS, Google Hangouts, WhatsApp, and even FB Messenger over the years. Feels like a big ask for them to change again just to indulge me on something like this.

I'm in the same boat here. I run Signal on my Chromebook, so I will eventually catch up with whatever's going on, but everybody's experience is that I've pretty much checked out of the back-and-forth style conversations on Signal. I guess I'm able to do it because I only have a handful of family who will text me, and my Signal friend group is international, so they're used to people replying to 8-hour-old messages.

Instant messaging is a big stupid mess, regardless of whether you have a dumbphone. But I suppose that's a rant for another thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Looks like HMD (Nokia) put a translucent case and a cheaper screen on a 2780 and partnered with Heineken in some promo stunt: https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/16/24132479/hmd-boring-phone-heineken-bodega

If this looks appealing to you, I recommend you just buy an unlocked 2780, they're like $85.