Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/

Apple Vision Pro went on presale today with a release date of February 2, 2 weeks from today. While the thing is obviously too expensive and frankly a bit underwhelming from the videos and demos I’ve seen, I’m still kind of interested in hearing people’s thoughts on it once it gets out in the open. I don’t think any company has really cracked VR/AR yet, but this definitely looks like the closest so far.

Anyone here with more money than sense put down the $3.5k for a pre-order today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
I was an early iPad adaptor but instead of copping the Vision Pro I’ll first be putting the same 3K towards Apple stock. This will 100% be a game changer just like the iPhone or iPad. I have been through this cycle enough to know you should never doubt Apple. The Vision Pro changes everything. Again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to be really fair to Apple and I'm aware that this is seeding the market and development activities, so I totally get that they need something out there. But having owned a number of VR headsets, they all have a shelf life imposed by the form factor just dissuading me from using them after a few days/weeks/months.

I don't want to sound like I'm some kind of luddite against VR/AR here, but to integrate something like this into my daily use I'd need technology to advance a little more to where this is a more wearable form factor that isn't locking me away under a big plastic box sitting on my face. To me that's 100% the tipping point for where this becomes usable consumer tech that's integrated into people's lives on the reg.

So game changer? Maybe. But the form factor is a tall hurdle for me to see cleared. I'll be happy if they achieve some significant penetration here, but I'm not optimistic. I'm happy to be wrong though.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Maudib Arakkis posted:

I was an early iPad adaptor but instead of copping the Vision Pro I’ll first be putting the same 3K towards Apple stock. This will 100% be a game changer just like the iPhone or iPad. I have been through this cycle enough to know you should never doubt Apple. The Vision Pro changes everything. Again.

I got a pre-order in, and this is where I am mentally. VR was pretty much treated as a joke or an afterthought, if you will. But now, since Apple is getting into the scene, many companies have to sit up straight and potentially bend their knees so they don't get left out.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Reviews for this dumb thing are out btw.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Real reviews or just unboxings?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Real reviews actually:

https://youtu.be/8xI10SFgzQ8?si=WYJQ159tbGtVHXX4

https://youtu.be/GkPw6ScHyb4?si=jC87kx2Wsy1V2aq9

Geez that second one is 55 minutes, I haven’t watched it.

https://www.theverge.com/24054862/a...campaign=buffer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reading the reviews, this thing sounds really cool! but still needs a few generations to work out any issues.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Reading the reviews, this thing sounds really cool! but still needs a few generations to work out any issues.

I think by 3rd generation, this will be the world's leading VR headset around $500.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Sure, but when is that gonna be? Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like they plan on putting out a new Vision Pro every year like the iphone.

The WSJ video was cool when the lady was cooking with it on. Sure it's heavy and uncomfortable now, but presumably it won't always be. And having individual timers hovering over each pot and then Safari open to the recipe hovering over the cutting board was some future poo poo. Have they said how far you can walk away and have windows stay where they are? Seems like it'd be a huge pain if you painstakingly placed 5 different windows where you wanted them to be in 3D space and then they all disappeared because you had to walk into the next room.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sure, but when is that gonna be? Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem like they plan on putting out a new Vision Pro every year like the iphone.

The WSJ video was cool when the lady was cooking with it on. Sure it's heavy and uncomfortable now, but presumably it won't always be. And having individual timers hovering over each pot and then Safari open to the recipe hovering over the cutting board was some future poo poo. Have they said how far you can walk away and have windows stay where they are? Seems like it'd be a huge pain if you painstakingly placed 5 different windows where you wanted them to be in 3D space and then they all disappeared because you had to walk into the next room.

I wanna say 2.5 years per generation. 3 being generous?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I think by 3rd generation, this will be the world's leading VR headset around $500.

I don't see them releasing a $500 headset in the next like.....long time. Maybe ever.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The tech looks awesome but it's way off from mainstream adoption, like a decade or so. It will be cool to work on a car Tony Stark-style.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Based on the name, I assume that Apple is already planning a regular "Vision" model at a lower price. The will probably have a low end "SE" at some point too.

And based on history I imagine they will also sell a previous generation at a reduced price once the next Gen is released.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've watched a couple reviews and it seems like there are some cool uses for this, but it also has its fair share of issues. I can't afford one right now, but even if I could, I don't want one. I'll always prefer using a computer/phone in actual reality rather than having a bulky computer strapped to my head and using it in virtual reality. Though maybe in a few generations, if they've made substantial refinements, my opinion might change.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Zero One posted:

Based on the name, I assume that Apple is already planning a regular "Vision" model at a lower price. The will probably have a low end "SE" at some point too.

And based on history I imagine they will also sell a previous generation at a reduced price once the next Gen is released.

Yeah but $500 ain’t gonna happen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
From the images I've seen, the EyeSight thing looks really really loving bad.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I think the main issue is that it’s displayed on the front (albeit under a lenticular screen) and it’s obvious from any but a perfectly straight on angle that your eyes don’t appear as far back as they should for how far the Vision Pro sticks out from your face.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The "eyes" stuff is the most dystopian, creepiest, uncanny valley thing I've seen in a headset.

I don't just dislike it - I actively hate it. I know that's childish of me, but it's so insanely weird.

Edit: Oh, it's called EyeSight? Yeah, it's gross. Ew.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The main thing that struck me is the field of vision has borders. Like, very visible borders, as if you were wearing goggles. Pretty bad.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vegetable posted:

The main thing that struck me is the field of vision has borders. Like, very visible borders, as if you were wearing goggles. Pretty bad.

I'm not positive but it sounds like it's also tracking your fovea (where your eye is focused) and increases the resolution for images near your fovea while reducing it for stuff further away. This would certainly save some battery life and it might not even be possible to drive the displays at full resolution everywhere at once.

Context
Sep 11, 2006

Vegetable posted:

Is this based on your experience, or reviews? (The Verge, in particular)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Verge’s review.

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Yeah, I’m curious to hear more about that. I don’t think Marques Brownlee has mentioned FOV at all yet, and I’d expect him to if it was terrible. The “artists rendering” in the verge review looks so so much worse than my memory of the Quest 3, even though they say the Vision Pro is somewhat narrower, it’s hard to get a feel for what it’s actually like.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have any of the videos shown the eyes feature in a dark room? MKBHD kept showing it with 100 studio lights and no surprise it was just glare.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Finally a shot of Tim in the thing lol

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Skeezy posted:

gregday
May 23, 2003

Skeezy posted:

Geez Tim, hang those pictures up, ugh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is that a portrait of RFK on the wall?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:allears:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You did more to sell me on this thing then Apple did lol

The reason why I don't see a cheaper version of the Vision happening, is because the Pro already has a lot of caveats and sacrifices being made according to the reviews.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 2, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Imo the ideal version of computer glasses on your face was Google Glass. They had it right the first time. Basic rear end glasses that show you useful information as you walk around. No one really wants to wear a movie theater on your head.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Vegetable posted:

Imo the ideal version of computer glasses on your face was Google Glass. They had it right the first time. Basic rear end glasses that show you useful information as you walk around. No one really wants to wear a movie theater on your head.

Way ahead of its time.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Are they demoing this tomorrow on a first come first serve basis at the store or was there a signup on the apple website (i can't find one if it still exists)?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

Are they demoing this tomorrow on a first come first serve basis at the store or was there a signup on the apple website (i can't find one if it still exists)?

The way i've seen it be reported is that you have to schedule a time with your local apple store.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

Skeezy posted:

is anyone going to hang those photos, and if that's not RFK that's gotta be Morton Downey Jr on the wall.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Which one of you nerds is going to cop to buying one of these?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Which one of you nerds is going to cop to buying one of these?

Picking mine up tonight.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Whelp Sneaker, you're gonna have to give us a detailed trip report.

I'm fascinated with what the non influencer perspective is on this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/KateKozuch/status/1753425540025856483