Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6l8MFdTaPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's carrying it around like he just won an Oscar, not I had $3,500 of available credit on one of my cards.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Three Olives posted:

He's carrying it around like he just won an Oscar, not I had $3,500 of available credit on one of my cards.

Tbf Apple Store employees are by mandate extremely over friendly to the point of creepiness and likely had to convince him to participate in this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Picking mine up tonight.

Excited for your impressions! I kinda wish I could get one, but I can't afford it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://twitter.com/iupdate/status/1753517090806649055/photo/1

gregday
May 23, 2003

OtterBox CEO licks his lips

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

I said come in! posted:

Excited for your impressions! I kinda wish I could get one, but I can't afford it.

First immediate impressions: This thing is heavy as hell.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

First immediate impressions: This thing is heavy as hell.

Oh hell no!

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Unboxed the headset and dove in for a little while. This thing is massively heavy and limiting, considering there needs to be a cable present for the battery pack. Did the initial setup, andddd

I'm whelmed. I see the vision (hehe) of what Apple is trying to do here and make the world come to you while you wear this thing. But everything seems so wonky. I should've expected that since this is a first-generation product. But for $3500, I expected this to be a more smooth ride. Making my persona was excellent, but what will I use it for? Much of the entertainment promised in the initial Apple Vision Pro conference still needs to arrive, and I'm not sure how patient everyone else will be. It's not Ready Player One cool yet. It can get there, but for now, I will wait. I may return this thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Unboxed the headset and dove in for a little while. This thing is massively heavy and limiting, considering there needs to be a cable present for the battery pack. Did the initial setup, andddd

I'm whelmed. I see the vision (hehe) of what Apple is trying to do here and make the world come to you while you wear this thing. But everything seems so wonky. I should've expected that since this is a first-generation product. But for $3500, I expected this to be a more smooth ride. Making my persona was excellent, but what will I use it for? Much of the entertainment promised in the initial Apple Vision Pro conference still needs to arrive, and I'm not sure how patient everyone else will be. It's not Ready Player One cool yet. It can get there, but for now, I will wait. I may return this thing.
Nice to hear thoughts from someone who didn't get one for free from Apple. That's a shame, but yeah, it is a first-gen thing after all. Still, seems like the experience should be smoother considering it's a $3,500 piece of tech.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Rageaholic posted:

Nice to hear thoughts from someone who didn't get one for free from Apple. That's a shame, but yeah, it is a first-gen thing after all. Still, seems like the experience should be smoother considering it's a $3,500 piece of tech.

It's amazing for media consumption. The ability to focus on three or more things at once. But after that, it starts to lack so hard.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

saw on the verge

https://twitter.com/lentinidante/status/1753549370568368224

gregday
May 23, 2003

Can you get up and walk behind a window/app? What does the back of an app look like?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

gregday posted:

Can you get up and walk behind a window/app? What does the back of an app look like?

From the back they're grey translucent panels.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

His video on this hurt me so badly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4aJYb8CNDs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

It's amazing for media consumption. The ability to focus on three or more things at once. But after that, it starts to lack so hard.

Have you tried yet just using it with your Macbook (if you have one) and doing just work or casual browsing / use with a keyboard and mouse?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Honestly with Apple Care+ it was probably well worth it for the clicks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How many phub windows can you have playing simultaneously in your living room?

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Oh HELL no

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

I spend too much money on things.

Initial thoughts and reactions, in no particular order:

- The stare-and-pinch UX is mostly pretty good, but I keep having small issues and I can't tell if it's a software thing or that I'm psyching myself out or because I'm dealing with a new prescription (just got the new glasses today) or what.

- This is a better TV than any TV I've ever owned, and it's not limited to one place. If it was in the form factor of a pair of sunglasses or even heavy ski goggles I would chuck my TV out the window and never buy one again. (But, I live alone, so I'm not dealing with sharing with anyone.) Yes, that's including the battery life; I have a small place and having a couple of extra chargers in places to sit would make things easier than having a dedicated TV area.

- The weight is absolutely noticeable even with the double strap, and frankly it's weird they didn't combine the top strap with the padded back piece because that would be more comfortable than either version alone. It's not unbearable, but use for extended periods (e.g. movie watching or VR shitposting) will probably involve laying down for now so it's just against my face instead of dragging downward. I expect this to get much, much better once a third party like BoboVR or Kiwi releases a properly counterbalanced alternative.

- Environments are extremely well done. The dial goes from 'dumb gimmick' to 'hey, that's really useful' the first time you have a movie going and want to be able to see a side table next to you without it interrupting the 'dark' area in front of you. Also, the fake darkness in passthrough works really well, and the only giveaway that you actually have the lights still on is that you can see the bloom on the bulbs in the passthrough view.

- Passthrough is more than good enough to use a phone or computer screen in 720p- to 1080p-like quality.

- The hand tracking is fantastic. The cutout effect can be fuzzy depending on virtual environment, but the actual location tracking is rock solid, so unlike Meta's garbage you can be confident that virtual interaction targets will work.

- The virtual keyboard is extremely usable. It's been a little janky for me if I try to full on touch type, but I can do at least two finger typing as fast as my hands can move, so it's 100% usable for the stuff you would expect to use it for (passwords, usernames, quick shitposts, etc). It's at least 10x better than the nightmare that is the Meta virtual keyboard. I expect that with some iterations they should be able to project this thing on a table and have full speed typing (as long as you don't mind sore fingertips).

- I would have expected some way to persistently pin panels to a physical location, but it doesn't exist. Whenever you recenter (by holding the crown button) it takes everything you've opened with you, even if all those panels were placed in separate locations. I suspect this is in part a consequence of the very limited app management, and that they either haven't figured out a good Stage Manager analogue yet or they have a half-complete version queued up for visionOS 2.

- Macbook mirroring is buttery smooth and stable and, if not for the weight again, this would instantly replace large monitors for work purposes too. Using a Macbook or bluetooth keyboard/mouse to control visionOS apps is also extremely smooth; you can just look at a panel and click to activate it and then you've got basically an iPad keyboard/mouse interface on that panel. However, there aren't any shortcuts for going between or managing panels (which I think keys into the same as the previous item).

- For how tight the battery life is on this thing, there's no way to get a persistent battery life widget (or even one that only shows up when the immersion mode isn't turned on). It's a real Apple-istic choice to try and ignore the problem instead of making it easier for people to work around it.

- I am extremely comfortable walking around my place using passthrough. There's a little bit of motion blur, but none of the visual warping of things up close, lag spikes, etc of the Quest 3. I have, at least so far, zero fear it's going to misplace me and result in some kind of comical obituary.

- Light seal experience so far is generally positive. There's a tiny little bit of light leak around my nose but I don't know if that's because my sizing is off (I did delivery instead of the in-person pickup, so I may make an appointment to see about trying any other similar sizes) or if it's just that they can't get it quite that perfect. Even as-is, it's a much closer fit than the Quest 3 and I don't have a big nose gap to squintily see things around me with in full VR (but with the crown I shouldn't actually need that, so good).

- Generic panel sizes (Macbook mirroring, browser, etc) seem to max out at about 150 inches diagonal, give or take (very rough estimation based off my TV).

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How many phub windows can you have playing simultaneously in your living room?

All of them. Open Safari and you can drag out any number of tabs into separate panels playing videos simultaneously. I'm sure it'll choke up eventually, but not any sooner than an M2 Macbook would anyway.

I said come in! posted:

Have you tried yet just using it with your Macbook (if you have one) and doing just work or casual browsing / use with a keyboard and mouse?

The experience is about the same as having a very large 4K-ish monitor floating there (including the slight fuzz you would expect from stretching 4K to 60+ inches). It's not quite perfect visually but it's more than good enough that I don't have to mess with font sizes or anything. In terms of use it feels 100% like having a hardware monitor hooked up via a cable, at least so far: responsiveness and lag, Youtube video quality, etc. Haven't tried any twitch games with it, but I could definitely play Civ on this thing and not tell it apart from playing it on a giant TV aside from this big weight on my face.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 3, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I said come in! posted:

I tested out the mirroring with my MacBook Pro. It can definitely replace my MacBook, if not the fact that my neck was becoming super stiff. I get Apple wanted to cram as much hardware and tech into this headset as they could, but this headset is going to kill some peoples necks. I am not exaggerating that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I'm curious if either of you happen to own a Meta Quest 2/3.

I'm actually crazy enough to buy an Apple Vision, but my experience with my Meta Quest is, this is amazing and then an hour later, I'm bored. The resolution, field of view, pass-through, etc are all components of that but the reason I didn't jump on the Apple Vision was a feeling that Apple solved a lot of my usage gripes with the Meta Quest 2 but all the intangibles are still there, I'm in a nice comfortably sized house with a big TV and a multi-monitor home office, I don't care to be stuck behind goggles.

Also, it feels like a lot of the experience is already there, on a Friday night you will find my husband and me on the den sofa with our 65" TV with surround sound with our iPhones out half watching a dumb TV show and mostly playing on our iPads in a dark room, how is the Apple Vision an appreciably better experience for that? It seems worse.

I dunno, maybe if I had different living circumstances I would feel differently. Maybe it is because I have solved a lot of these problems that the Vision is trying to fix with just, putting screens where I want screens.

gregday
May 23, 2003

If you watch tv with your family on the couch, don’t replace that experience with a thing strapped to your face.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Three Olives posted:

I'm actually crazy enough to buy an Apple Vision, but my experience with my Meta Quest is, this is amazing and then an hour later, I'm bored. The resolution, field of view, pass-through, etc are all components of that but the reason I didn't jump on the Apple Vision was a feeling that Apple solved a lot of my usage gripes with the Meta Quest 2 but all the intangibles are still there, I'm in a nice comfortably sized house with a big TV and a multi-monitor home office, I don't care to be stuck behind goggles.

Also, it feels like a lot of the experience is already there, on a Friday night you will find my husband and me on the den sofa with our 65" TV with surround sound with our iPhones out half watching a dumb TV show and mostly playing on our iPads in a dark room, how is the Apple Vision an appreciably better experience for that? It seems worse.

I dunno, maybe if I had different living circumstances I would feel differently. Maybe it is because I have solved a lot of these problems that the Vision is trying to fix with just, putting screens where I want screens.

This is where I’m at and I think I’ll return my headset tomorrow. It’s the aura of “OMG! New Apple product! Innovation!” That quickly fades to, “$3500…for this?”

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

So what's the deal with those store demos? Are there any prerequisites?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SCheeseman posted:

So what's the deal with those store demos? Are there any prerequisites?

None. Sign up through the app or go down and sign up for one. They’ll fit your face and show you a few default showings.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Three Olives posted:

I have a Quest 3, and it's been great for games, but it just totally sucks for literally anything else in ways that I think the AVP has just mostly conquered in one swell foop. Will I keep using the AVP daily? Well, I dunno at the moment, but I will reevaluate once I get a third-party headstrap that makes it signficantly more comfortable. It's already way, way more appealing than the Quest 3 for basic stuff like watching 3D movies, since the multitasking means now I can have the virtual theater while also getting my ADHD fix of having Discord open in the background or whatever, and the no-controller focus means there aren't all the inevitable friction points when it comes to doing literally anything that's not a game needing several non-physical action triggers.

I think honestly, the only limiting factors against this being my daily driver instead of my mix of Macbook and iPad are (a) weight (b) battery life and (c) can't run VS Code and some other niche stuff to go with my code jockey side projects. And... yeah, that's a lot, but is it, really? I think this product line is going to have some insane potential down the line once there are more hardware refinements.

gregday posted:

If you watch tv with your family on the couch, don’t replace that experience with a thing strapped to your face.

:yeah:

We're still a long way away from any supernerd futures where you're going to use this thing in any social-ish context outside of VR or doing SharePlay watch parties with Discord groups or something. I can totally see those possible supernerd futures, but we're at least 0.75 pounds and $2500 away from them.

gregday
May 23, 2003

A future version/OS update where you can watch the same movie with someone else 500 miles away in the theater mode over SharePlay will be amazing.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

gregday posted:

A future version/OS update where you can watch the same movie with someone else 500 miles away in the theater mode over SharePlay will be amazing.

This is already a feature at the OS level. It's up to apps to mash that up with any immersive stuff they have.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Have you used any AR media viewing /virtual monitor glasses like the Nreal or Rokid ones? That’s what these seem closer to than VR dedicated headsets like the Quest. Beyond the price it seems like Apple has solved the current AR glasses problem of being too low res and having lovely software, but the form factor seems dramatically worse for being heavy rear end goggles instead of glasses.

Basically any usage except rare very immersive games I want less visual coverage and the world around me being easily accessible. Even for most vr games like Beat Saber I’d rather not be stuck in my own black void. Better to have some awareness of the world around me much less watching movies, reading web, or playing flat games where I want to be able to interact with my wife. High res monitors that aren’t tethered to a desk is very cool but not at the cost of being strapped inside an awkwardly heavy helmet.

I’d so much rather have a tethered battery/processing unit I could stick in my pocket than heavy poo poo strapped to my head.

I’ll be curious how many they sell because I thought this was more like an expensive developer preview than a big release but it seems to be getting plenty of marketing so I guess this is a big push?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This stuff actually reminds me of Microsoft VR, many of the Vision Pro features were already available in that, but that is no longer relevant because Microsoft took it outback this year and killed it. :/

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

Have you used any AR media viewing /virtual monitor glasses like the Nreal or Rokid ones? That’s what these seem closer to than VR dedicated headsets like the Quest.Beyond the price it seems like Apple has solved the current AR glasses problem of being too low res and having lovely software, but the form factor seems dramatically worse for being heavy rear end goggles instead of glasses.

This, I think, goes with Apple deciding that this is the minimum feature set they were willing to go with (e.g. "iPad on your face", not merely a screen extender like the Nreal/Xreal) and that they would rather eat the cost of only selling to turbonerds for the first 5 or 10 years of iterations than have a device with the reputation of "just" being a fancy iPhone accessory.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Basically any usage except rare very immersive games I want less visual coverage and the world around me being easily accessible. Even for most vr games like Beat Saber I’d rather not be stuck in my own black void.

Synth Riders does that, with a "portal" that only turns into full immersion if you crank up the dial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nos7u4VqmRo

FuzzySlippers posted:

I’ll be curious how many they sell because I thought this was more like an expensive developer preview than a big release but it seems to be getting plenty of marketing so I guess this is a big push?

200K preorders, give or take, with rumors all over the place on Apple's expectations, but a target of 500K to 1 million sold in the first year seems like a common average in them.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Roadie posted:

200K preorders, give or take,

I don’t know if we’ll ever get this information, but I’m very curious to hear how many of these Day 1 sales end up getting returned within the 14-day return window. I could see a lot of people “buying” one to try it out for a week and then returning it. Hell, of the two people in this thread that have bought it, one of them is already saying they plan to do this.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Roadie posted:

Synth Riders does that, with a "portal" that only turns into full immersion if you crank up the dial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nos7u4VqmRo

I feel like this is 100% making my point, that room looks depressing as gently caress and hard to imagine anyone living in that has $3,500 to blow on a VR headset.

Actually, I forgot about that being one of my biggest annoyances every time I use my Meta Quest 2, I have like furniture and poo poo, it's a struggle to set even a stationary space because I have a coffee table in the room.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Three Olives posted:

I feel like this is 100% making my point, that room looks depressing as gently caress and hard to imagine anyone living in that has $3,500 to blow on a VR headset.

Man, what? You are really stretching hard here for something to hate because nerds bad, I guess.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I bought one internationally; sent it to a US-based family member who's visiting me in a few weeks and will drop it off.

Naturally skimped on apple care and will have no way to do a return if there's an issue so if you're seeking some schadenfreud you might find it here in the next few months.

Been getting increasingly excited from the previews though. Reading the Verge's review their takeaway seemed to be that a lot of what it's promising are potential dead-ends, but I've been getting the opposite impression really; that nearly everything people are complaining about are just related to it being what's essentially a gen 0 device. Weight, tracking, software clunkiness and missing integration; even the eye-pinch selection being slightly awkward sounds like something that can be smoothed way out with software updates. The tech behind personas (3D object scanning) has also had some bonkers progress in literally the past 3-6 months that can't have made it into release yet and I think will feel very, very different a couple of years down the line despite everyone trashing it now.
Guess I'll see when I actually try it tho. Am definitely biased since I want to dev for this so am very much in favor of it catching on.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 3, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vegetable posted:

The main thing that struck me is the field of vision has borders. Like, very visible borders, as if you were wearing goggles. Pretty bad.

It’s been kind of wild seeing how close the device is to something like a Quest 3. I was expecting Apple to have a more refined product at the price point, and software-wise I suppose it is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Roadie posted:

Man, what? You are really stretching hard here for something to hate because nerds bad, I guess.

The room has a plant and curtains, so automatically seems opposite to a nerd room. :P

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://x.com/russellmomentum/status/1753572385574531116?s=46

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did not realize how much I wanted to see a Casey Neistat AVP video where he wears it around NYC.

https://youtu.be/UvkgmyfMPks?si=mbw8iSGOYreEok6v