Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVJPAYwY8Us

If anyone was wondering why this cost so much, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I’ll never buy one of these, but I appreciate the goon trip reports here.

e: Holy poo poo the avatar persona things look creepy as hell

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 4, 2024

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Three Olives posted:

I can’t fathom the assembly line that put the freaking thing together. It’s a marvel of manufacturing that a thing like this goes mass market.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

smackfu posted:

Did not realize how much I wanted to see a Casey Neistat AVP video where he wears it around NYC.

https://youtu.be/UvkgmyfMPks?si=mbw8iSGOYreEok6v

Yeah this was neat, almost sold me on one for a sec.

The AVP as it is now doesn't do it for me but I could see me getting one years down the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Gy035z_KA

There's the MKBHD full review if anyone wanted to see that.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
One odd discovery, prompted by a Reddit post talking about potential non-light-seal head strap alternatives: If I take the AVP, remove the gasket, and just hold it up against my face with the bottom bit up against the bridge of my nose, it works fine, the FOV is way better, and there's just enough space for my eyelashes even with the Zeiss lenses. I'm wondering now if there was supposed to be less space inside the light seal and they had to bulk it out for some reason, and I'm hoping third-party bands take advantage of this.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 4, 2024

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Roadie posted:

One odd discovery, prompted by a Reddit post talking about potential non-light-seal head strap alternatives: If I take the AVP, remove the gasket, and just hold it up against my face with the bottom bit up against the bridge of my nose, it works fine, the FOV is way better, and there's just enough space for my eyelashes even with the Zeiss lenses. I'm wondering now if there was supposed to be less space inside the light seal and they had to bulk it out for some reason, and I'm hoping third-party bands take advantage of this.

I wear my quest 3 without the facial interface using a halo style strap. It’s so, so much better than having something strapped to your face. Can’t wait for third parties to figure this out for the AVP.

That said I’m not sure if/when I’ll pick up an AVP. I’m an overpaid VR nerd who works in the Immersed app all the time, staying in the cutting edge since the DK2, and $3500 is still too much for me I think.

Maybe I’ll bite once it’s on the veteran and military store for a discount

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Three Olives posted:

Many of those parts look really expensive to produce too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luFGI13Mv8o

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ That's pretty loving insane and cool to see.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
One more minor AVP discovery: If you take a floating window and put it front of a real object, it's fully opaque. If you put it behind a real object, it's very slightly transparent (like maybe 5%) in regards to that object only, while still fully opaque in regards to everything behind the window. I assume this is so that if you do that, then get up and walk around, you can still see the outline of your counter or ottoman or whatever even though the window is still painted mostly over it, and won't walk into it.

This is pretty minor, but it's wild to think about the amount of processing happening on board just for that little feature.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 5, 2024

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I can’t fathom paying 3500 bucks for this but I’m sure I’ll own one in like 15 years when it’s like $700 and is more glasses than goofy helmet.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
It's wild that in 10-15 years as long as the technology keeps improving, we could be at a point where this could replace every other screen you own. No need for a desktop, laptop, TV, gaming console, or cellphone. No need for your corporate job to ship you a laptop + cellphone + docking station. A lot of people already use a cell-phone for everything, this could just be the next evolution of that because it gives you more real estate to work with.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I saw one review point out that it’s also the next evolution of DRM. Right now, if all else fails, you can at least point a camera at a TV screen or something. The review showed them screenshotting the UI and it blanked out the AppleTV show playing in one of the windows.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Video games are my passion.

https://twitter.com/James_Abev/status/1754509094214398078

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Has anyone made a 3DS emulator yet? I don't know if there's been anything before that can theoretically emulate having 2 screens AND the 3D effect on the top screen!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Has anyone made a 3DS emulator yet? I don't know if there's been anything before that can theoretically emulate having 2 screens AND the 3D effect on the top screen!

Boy do I have good news for you https://sidequestvr.com/app/29066/citravr-beta

gregday
May 23, 2003

Recreating the Nintendo Virtual Boy inside this thing would be sick.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My hands hurt from watching this

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
This weekend I drove down to the city to check out a couple neighborhoods I'm thinking of moving to. It made me think - being able to plot out a route in Apple Maps and then take a "virtual drive" on that route in Apple Vision Pro using the Apple Maps street view images - maybe this doesn't count as a "killer app" but it does sound pretty drat cool.

I wonder if they are working on this and that's why they don't have a VisionPro-specific Maps app yet (I've seen in reviews that the Maps app in AVP is just a floating version of the iPad app - there's nothing special or Vision-y about it right now)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OldSenileGuy posted:

This weekend I drove down to the city to check out a couple neighborhoods I'm thinking of moving to.
Virtual Redlining where they use your metrics to re-project a shittier/nicer version on the neighborhood in order to make it more/less appealing.

Instead of the video kiosk from Robocop you get random samples of the Nextdoor app alerts and various CrimeBLAST popups.

Redfin you can wire the money to my offshore.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OldSenileGuy posted:

This weekend I drove down to the city to check out a couple neighborhoods I'm thinking of moving to. It made me think - being able to plot out a route in Apple Maps and then take a "virtual drive" on that route in Apple Vision Pro using the Apple Maps street view images - maybe this doesn't count as a "killer app" but it does sound pretty drat cool.

I wonder if they are working on this and that's why they don't have a VisionPro-specific Maps app yet (I've seen in reviews that the Maps app in AVP is just a floating version of the iPad app - there's nothing special or Vision-y about it right now)

the magic does wear off eventually but this use case was very popular when the vive, et al., first launched but with google maps

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Tried the demo today. If somebody figures out low latency HDMI capture/input (or alternatively gets Steam streaming or Xbox Cloud working nicely) I would buy one in a heartbeat. It's the best TV I've ever used.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

ephori posted:

Tried the demo today. If somebody figures out low latency HDMI capture/input (or alternatively gets Steam streaming or Xbox Cloud working nicely) I would buy one in a heartbeat. It's the best TV I've ever used.

Moonlight works, as does xcloud and GeForce now via https://cerio.app/nexus/. Steam link probably works but I haven't tried it.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

TwoDice posted:

Moonlight works, as does xcloud and GeForce now via https://cerio.app/nexus/. Steam link probably works but I haven't tried it.

That's cool! There's 'works' and there's works... how is it?

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

ephori posted:

That's cool! There's 'works' and there's works... how is it?

GFN worked perfectly well, moonlight works well but has black bars on top and bottom until someone makes a native version (it's stuck in iPad pro aspect ratio). Quality wise it's way way better than the quest 3.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I can't wait to see what games will release on this. Imagine we get The Oasis :eyepop:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does the AVP passthrough cameras not have the ability to focus on close objects? Everything close up is blurry. Like phone screen distance is already blurry with passthrough.

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Seems like a bunch of people I know are returning theirs. I wonder what the return rate is.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It’s not a return it’s a $0 rental

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

rkd_ posted:

Seems like a bunch of people I know are returning theirs. I wonder what the return rate is.

im surprised that anyone knows a "bunch" of people who would buy them in the first place. not a critique or calling bs or anything, but i'm curious about demographics. do you know multiple IRL people who bought an AVP and are now returning them?

i work in tech and know people at places like spotify and meta etc who all make good money with plenty of disposable income but i have yet to see anyone post about having one.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Void-X is neat, with a mix of a defined play area with AR effects around the player, and I think it hits a perfect combination for a 'play for 5 minutes while still semi-immersed' kind of game. I hope it will set a precedent for AR games that do something more interesting with the media than just having a floating passthrough version of a 3D level.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
If anyone uses moonlight there's a beta AVP native port available here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/4eE59dyH

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

i work in tech and know people at places like spotify and meta etc who all make good money with plenty of disposable income but i have yet to see anyone post about having one.

I’m surprised, that seems like exactly who would buy these on launch date. Namely having a spare $3500 to try out a new toy.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

smackfu posted:

I’m surprised, that seems like exactly who would buy these on launch date. Namely having a spare $3500 to try out a new toy.

The people who work in tech and have disposable toy income have already tried out VR headsets and so saw straight through the AVP hype

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was going to ask whether there were any rumblings about Google Earth getting some kind of cool AVP interface but seeing as how YouTube isn't even being AVP'd right now I guess I know the answer.

Wander has been a mainstay for me on the Quest, and one of the apps that actually keeps me turning it on (even though I haven't recently), so I hope some cool maps-tourism apps hit that exploit AVP's strengths.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

blunt posted:

The people who work in tech and have disposable toy income have already tried out VR headsets and so saw straight through the AVP hype

This basically, I know someone who is exactly that person, and they have said nothing but negative things about the AVP.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

two people in my office (i work for a small 50ish sized b2b startup) have meta quest headsets. one guy is a dev and he brings his in sometimes and sits at his desk wearing it while looking at like 8 virtual monitors at once. people walk by and see him and are always like "wtf" but he loves it

i can see him maybe upgrading to an AVP since he's locked into the use case but even he would probably wait for v2 or something

gregday
May 23, 2003

Anyone dismissing the Vision Pro really needs to go to a store and try the demo. Whether or not you like it is up to you, but this is not just a more expensive version of the Quest. It is something entirely different.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

gregday posted:

Anyone dismissing the Vision Pro really needs to go to a store and try the demo. Whether or not you like it is up to you, but this is not just a more expensive version of the Quest. It is something entirely different.

The thing that Vision Pro has going for it over Quest 3 is graphics/screen fidelity, but "graphics not being good enough" isn't the reason people give up on VR headsets when the novelty wears off. It's weight, mental fatigue and isolation, which are problems the AVP doesn't solve.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

it's cool that apple figured out a way to not need a controller or remote, but how will they solve for accessibility? my friend's little sister has syndactyly (webbed fingers) and can't always manipulate her iphone screen without accessibility features turned on. usually apple is pretty good about this stuff so i'm sure they'll find out a way to do it and subsequently pull heart strings in whatever wwdc video they produce showing how disabled people can use computers better now with an AVP (even though it costs 3x+ as much as a cheap laptop).

also i can't imagine anyone who is not an insane apple fanboy even considering an AVP until they get rid of the tethered battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

gregday posted:

That doesn’t seem like a wise idea for my wallet.