Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Seeing reports that the outer glass shell is cracking lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Don't really understand how yall are like "its an ok device". Tried the 30 minute demo and the scales plum dropped from my eyes. This will literally change everything.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

indulge us. what do you like about it that others aren't praising?

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
Are you supposed to be able to read a phone screen through the headset cameras? Maybe I need glasses after all.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Phssthpok posted:

Are you supposed to be able to read a phone screen through the headset cameras? Maybe I need glasses after all.

quote:

Yes, you can read your phone. Some of the smaller font is a little bit harder to see.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
Mine arrived - I messed around with it for a couple of hours, and my takeaway from it is 100% positive so far.

I found it to be pretty comfortable - solo strap, Zeiss inserts are great, no issues with strain or weight. Zero discomfort - like after a bit I basically just forgot I was wearing a headset for the most part. A little bit of light bleed depending on how I was sitting or standing, but I had to kind of try to notice it rather than it being inescapable with other headsets I've used in the past.

Gestures are totally natural - was zipping around in a couple of minutes despite not having tried it before. Hand tracking is perfect in regular light. Eye tracking is great - quickly got into the habit of not looking away from what I was doing, and felt pretty comfortable after a few minutes with very few accidental tweaks, and I stopped thinking about what I was doing and just did stuff automatically within half an hour.

App experience was a little weird at first; my persona is terrifying (in a fun way), setting up accounts and stuff with 1password and eye verification was a little quirky but settled in about 5 minutes. Passthrough is much better than the Quest - not even close; a little blurry but I can certainly read my phone and such through it. Software keyboard is trash, but voice to text was flawless.

Theater experience was fantastic, I watched a bit of a 3d Marvel movie while sitting on the moon and it was great. The scenes were "dark" but I didn't see any of the glare etc. that people seem to say comes about when watching dark scenes. Being able to have a crisp picture on an arbitrarily huge screen is great - not just for the theater but also for web browsing and looking at some documents - I expect that I'll be able to have a lot of real estate, more conveniently set up, for a mix of work stuff and personal use.

Now that I've got things installed, the next thing is to test out pairing with my MacBook and trying the Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad to control things, streaming from my PC via Moonlight, and seeing about streaming from my Xbox.

The one callout I really want to make is how quickly it felt natural vs. when I've used a Quest 3 or anything else - with those I really couldn't forget I was using a headset and controllers, or trying to use hand gestures, but with this thing it was just seamless. THAT is the thing that makes this magic - that it's just ... not there.

metztli fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 28, 2024

gregday
May 23, 2003

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
imagine being born, and first thing in the world you see is this. not 5 seconds old and the lil dude wants off this planet.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts
PROTIP: You can record spatial video of major life events with any iPhone 15 Pro, without wearing the Vision Pro headset. Enable spatial recording in system settings > camera. Then you can watch the spatial video on your headset alone later.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I guess natural births are more lenient with PPE? I had to get covered up all the way for my kids’ births but they were cesarean.

gregday
May 23, 2003

iPhone spatial videos are somewhat less impressive than ones recorded directly on the  Vision Pro due to the cameras not being as far apart.

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

metztli posted:

You can just ask for the dinosaur and they often will do it, from the folks I know who have gone in.

Has anyone here used the AVP with AirPods Max? The pros hurt my ears after an hour or 2 of use, and I'd want to benefit from the better noise cancellation of the Max anyway.

My Vision Pro arrived earlier today (hooray employer purchase) and the Max's do not get a good seal due to the straps of the Vision Pro. I felt that my AirPod Pro's worked better with noise cancellation.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

jimtech posted:

My Vision Pro arrived earlier today (hooray employer purchase) and the Max's do not get a good seal due to the straps of the Vision Pro. I felt that my AirPod Pro's worked better with noise cancellation.

That feels like a crazy oversight. I’m shocked they wouldn’t have considered the Max’s with the Vision Pro straps. That seems crazy to me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ephori posted:

That feels like a crazy oversight. I’m shocked they wouldn’t have considered the Max’s with the Vision Pro straps. That seems crazy to me.

i'm not, really, i bet the maxes don't sell much.

in reality the problem is with the design of the airpods max; imo they're not nearly adjustable enough.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
At this point, literally the only reason for anyone to buy an AirPods Max over the Beats Studio Pro is that the BSP doesn't have the auto-switching between devices. That's it. That's the whole reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Pretty neat

https://wccftech.com/doctor-uses-vision-pro-for-surgery/