Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Also I really doubt they'd even hear the case if they weren't going to overturn the lower court.

There's a huge chance they won't overturn the lower court because ruling that presidental immunity exists in such a broad way is a huge removal of the SC's power. However, they would probably be quite happy if taking the case and then ruling against meant that they could delay the trials until after the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

4 to grant a petition of certiorari, 5 to grant a stay on an emergency application.
Trump filed an emergency application, Special Counsel asked it to be considered as a cert. petition (and denied), Supremes granted it as a cert. petition, so 4.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kchama posted:

There's a huge chance they won't overturn the lower court because ruling that presidental immunity exists in such a broad way is a huge removal of the SC's power. However, they would probably be quite happy if taking the case and then ruling against meant that they could delay the trials until after the election.

Well, they can always play a remaster of the year-2000 hit “we rule for the Republican but you can’t use this as precedent, peace”. Preserve the formal power of the institution, pick the right winner, everyone is home in time for dinner.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

With the potential liquidation of the Trump empire I can only hope this is where Don Jr, Eric, and Ivanka end up in 30 years:

The Trump Family honors the Blessed Donald, this Saturday only at the Waco Community Center.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“special post-event for singles” was too much, I had to look away

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/hop_scotch_/status/1664017656926687234

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hey, gotta keep the family name relevant. Some folks host Catholic singles events in Oklahoma, others help bring down the Iron Curtain.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Three for the price of one? Big deal, the Spanish Habsburgs were way more inbred than that.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Reminds me of one of my favourite monarchy facts: Of the two ever emperors of Mexico, one was an insurgent who turned heel against his own people and joined the Spanish Royalists, and the other was a Habsburg. Between the two of them there were only about four years where there was ever an Emperor of Mexico.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/EduardHabsburg/status/1375360944533086211

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

He's not even part of the real Habsburg house or the leader of it but some insignificant cadet branch, the actual line and current head of the Habsburgs renounced royal/aristocratic privileges ages ago and is just a rich European dude who drives race cars and I don't think has made any political statements beyond "lol isn't it wild that I had to pay general admission to visit my grandparents house for a high school field trip." Much cooler.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OUR LADY OF CLEAR CREEK church, Oklahoma

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
A special singles pre-event! Ladieeeees, who wants to be the next chincest princess? :heysexy:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Kazinsal posted:

Reminds me of one of my favourite monarchy facts: Of the two ever emperors of Mexico, one was an insurgent who turned heel against his own people and joined the Spanish Royalists, and the other was a Habsburg. Between the two of them there were only about four years where there was ever an Emperor of Mexico.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 29, 2024

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/itsJeffTiedrich/status/1762918100742058387?t=ZuYNV8nV2mpsKrER3x_Tsw&s=19

:laffo:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Looking forward to the E Jean Carol golf courses.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Convert the golf courses into homeless shelters and public parks. Just really drive that dagger in.

"This homeless shelter was graciously funded by the Trump Org Liquidation council."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Looking forward to the E Jean Carol golf courses.

I want to see what she does with Ivana’s grave.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Of course they were Marines
https://wtop.com/local/2024/02/2-marines-charged-in-connection-with-racial-slurs-written-in-a-university-of-maryland-resident-hall/

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The infinite hubris of Democrats on display here cannot fail it can only be failed

"What are you gonna do, vote for Trump?" -Party which lost to Trump

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does anyone still blame the voters for Hillary Clinton’s loss in 2016?

I mean, besides Clinton and anyone within earshot.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Good god this guy loving sucks.

https://lamag.com/news/panera-bread-minimum-wage-hike-gov-newsom

quote:

It looks like not all fast-food restaurants are created equal.

Panera Bread is one of the only takeaway-style franchises to avoid California's recent minimum wage hike legislation, which will go into effect April 1, boosting minimum wage for fast-food workers to $20. The root of their evasion comes back to the law's fine print, which states that "a bakery that produces for sale on the establishment’s premises bread” is not recognized as being fast food.

The great Panera escape has raised questions about the legislation. A report from Bloomberg found that Governor Gavin Newsom, who signed the bill into law, pushed hard for the exemption. One of the main beneficiaries of the loophole is Greg Flynn, a billionaire who owns two dozen Panera Brea locations across the state and is a frequent Newsom donor.

In 2021, he donated $100,000 to aid Newsom in his fight against a recall and $64,800 in 2022 towards his reelection campaign. The outlet added that Flynn denied he had a hand in the bread exemption. Still, sources close to them contested that point: "He urged the governor’s top aides to reconsider whether fast-casual chains such as Panera should be classified as fast food.”

Though this distinction didn't make it into the law's final copy, the bread-making aspect did.

“This legislation was the result of countless hours of negotiations with dozens of stakeholders over two years. Staff in the governor’s office met with dozens of business owners as well as union representatives, as is expected when policies of this consequence are moving through the Legislature,” Alex Stack, a spokesperson in the Governor’s Office, told KTLA.

The law has been in heavy contention recently. In San Francisco, McDonald's franchise owners are actively trying to enact revenge against those who championed the bill.

According to The Sacramento Bee, the California Alliance of Family Owned Businesses political action committee (PAC) has shelled out half a million dollars to target both Chris Holden (D-Pasadena) and Assemblyman Kevin McCarty (D-Sacramento). Both are running for other local governmental positions.

But some L.A. local businesses Los Angeles spoke to earlier this year were happy to see the state increase the minimum wage. Back in January, Oren Pius of Echo Park's Cosmic Vinyl said he thought the raise was "probably still too low."

"Getting by on minimum wage is probably impossible. There's no way I could do it. Me and my wife both have full-time jobs. I have a baby. After childcare and making a good wage, we're still left with nothing at the end of every paycheck," he said.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
wtf if Panera counts under that, does Subway?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Would love to know why a place selling bread magically means the workers have a lower cost of living. Presumably this gives them license to take home as much bread as they want?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Platystemon posted:

You can’t buy just bread at subway.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I don't think what they sell qualifies as "bread".

Man, wouldn't it be great to be able to buy politicians?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

Soon you can.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Won't this fascinating work of lobbying art just result in the absolute lowest quality workers applying to that business?
Like, why would anyone even think about applying to that place is it massively below any other retail or food service job?

Or is this another case of there being enough poor and desperate people fighting over far too few jobs that even the straight up exploiting ones are seen as a lucky break?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Itchy_Grundle posted:

I don't think what they sell qualifies as "bread".

Man, wouldn't it be great to be able to buy politicians?

It's a lot cheaper than you might think!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

Veggie delite, no cheese, no condiments, hold the veggies.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Not a lawyer, but what is stopping every fast food chain from buying a bread oven and offering a few loaves of poo poo bread for sale.

See also, the inedible sandwiches NY bars would put out 100+ years ago to be considered a restaurant, not a bar.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SerthVarnee posted:

Won't this fascinating work of lobbying art just result in the absolute lowest quality workers applying to that business?
Like, why would anyone even think about applying to that place is it massively below any other retail or food service job?

Or is this another case of there being enough poor and desperate people fighting over far too few jobs that even the straight up exploiting ones are seen as a lucky break?

A little of column A, a little of column B. Fast food workers are already hella overworked and treated like poo poo.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

stealie72 posted:

Not a lawyer, but what is stopping every fast food chain from buying a bread oven and offering a few loaves of poo poo bread for sale.

See also, the inedible sandwiches NY bars would put out 100+ years ago to be considered a restaurant, not a bar.

quote:

(2) “Fast food restaurant” shall not include an establishment that on September 15, 2023, operates a bakery that produces for sale on the establishment’s premises bread, as defined under Part 136 of Subchapter B of Chapter I of Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations, so long as it continues to operate such a bakery. This exemption applies only where the establishment produces for sale bread as a stand-alone menu item, and does not apply if the bread is available for sale solely as part of another menu item.

I had the same thought, but this makes it sound like it's back-dated to only apply to places that were already baking bread, probably to avoid exactly that loophole.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

stealie72 posted:

IIRC, the law also has a timer on it that says businesses can't just switch and would have to either be a brand new business, or have been a bakery/Panera before 2023. Edit: was right, but beaten

This kind of poo poo is also why the party can't/won't get rid of Joe when obviously corrupt poo poo like this is just lying there unexamined for one of the other leading contenders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s going to own when case law establishes that heating Sysco’s breadsticks counts as “operates a bakery”.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So quit and make more at the McDonalds.
Not a real solution.
But if they are the only place paying dogshit I can’t imagine why their best people wouldn’t just move across the street to the BK.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Crab Dad posted:

So quit and make more at the McDonalds.
Not a real solution.
But if they are the only place paying dogshit I can’t imagine why their best people wouldn’t just move across the street to the BK.

Good question would imagine many do but inertia is a powerful force. A guy from high school who was a decent worker wound up working as a 7/11 cashier for a decade despite many better businesses in the area. If he could show up sober on time regularly & pass a drug test to drive a forklift could probably have made twice as much or more plus benefits at Costco, plus would not be alone in a 7/11 at 3am.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1763339697068347460?t=Iw3Oqv0I3qaJ9vSGxC0sPQ&s=19

Chudge is to hear more about this tomorrow.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

aww that’s cute, and i want a lot of things i won’t get, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Good question would imagine many do but inertia is a powerful force. A guy from high school who was a decent worker wound up working as a 7/11 cashier for a decade despite many better businesses in the area. If he could show up sober on time regularly & pass a drug test to drive a forklift could probably have made twice as much or more plus benefits at Costco, plus would not be alone in a 7/11 at 3am.

one of the big problems is that once you're in a lovely situation, it's hard to get out of it, especially when you're working poo poo jobs with poo poo hours. even moreso now that more and more places refuse to provide stable work and instead "yeah we produced the schedule for the next three days just now, deal with it"

like yeah bing bong so simple just go get a job elsewhere