Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I had the same thought, but this makes it sound like it's back-dated to only apply to places that were already baking bread, probably to avoid exactly that loophole.

This is doubly nice for Panera because you could independently open the exact same restaurant concept and your cost of labor would be artificially higher. By law.

(Of course you should pay your workers better anyways but the artificial barrier to competitive entry is the point here)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

this is kinda wild:
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/29/angela-chao-death-being-investigated-as-criminal-matter.html

quote:

The death earlier this month of Foremost Group CEO Angela Chao, the sister-in-law of Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, is currently under “criminal investigation,” a Texas sheriff’s office said Thursday.

Chao, 50, was found dead shortly after midnight on Feb. 11 after being pulled out of a car that had gone into a pond on a private ranch in Johnson City, Texas, about 40 miles from Austin.

“This incident was not a typical accident,” the Blanco County Sheriff’s Office wrote in a letter to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on Thursday.

“Although the preliminary investigation indicated this was an unfortunate accident, the Sheriff’s Office is still investigating this accident as a criminal matter until they have sufficient evidence to rule out criminal activity,” the letter said.

original death report in NYT made it sound like a routine car accident:
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/14/business/angela-chao-dead.html

quote:

Angela Chao, the chief executive of a shipping company and part of a family prominent in American politics and business deals with China, died in a car crash on Sunday, in Texas. She was 50.

Her family confirmed her death. Details about the accident were not immediately available.

who's coming after mcconnell's family? interesting timing with his 'stepping down' news too

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It was a tesla. There is absolutely nothing suspicious about a Tesla ending up in a pond against the driver's wishes

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
What would they have to suggest that it was foul play? I assume they would have ruled out drugs or the like by this poi--

CainFortea posted:

It was a tesla. There is absolutely nothing suspicious about a Tesla ending up in a pond against the driver's wishes

Oh. Yeah, that makes sense :hmmyes:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CainFortea posted:

It didn’t find a child to run over, but I’m sure that’s being addressed in a future update.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Without knowing anything beyond the identity of the victim I had it chalked up to a DUI but death by Elon is also plausible.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kazinsal posted:

Reminds me of one of my favourite monarchy facts: Of the two ever emperors of Mexico, one was an insurgent who turned heel against his own people and joined the Spanish Royalists, and the other was a Habsburg. Between the two of them there were only about four years where there was ever an Emperor of Mexico.

Was about to say you forgot one but I guess he was merely their protector

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

With the potential liquidation of the Trump empire I can only hope this is where Don Jr, Eric, and Ivanka end up in 30 years:

The Trump Family honors the Blessed Donald, this Saturday only at the Waco Community Center.

This feels like it should be a game over screen from a paradox map game.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

pmchem posted:

this is kinda wild:
https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/29/angela-chao-death-being-investigated-as-criminal-matter.html

original death report in NYT made it sound like a routine car accident:
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/14/business/angela-chao-dead.html

who's coming after mcconnell's family? interesting timing with his 'stepping down' news too

the kennedys hacked her car

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CainFortea posted:

I mean, I'm genuinely not sure that Elon could manage to have someone assassinated via Tesla given that he doesn't understand the first thing about how internet views work.

EDIT: Not saying he wouldn't try, but Tesla can't even make a car that drives straight in normal traffic. There's no reason to assume this was deliberate AI fuckery when their ordinary self-driving is bad enough on its own.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 1, 2024

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So Donnie was pretty poised to make like $3B on the weird Truth Social SPAC deal. Basically, some wall street goobers built up a shell corp to subsume truth social / trump media group. They gave him 90% ownership in the resulting company, with like 8% going to themselves. Everyone involved could cash out in six months.

Then the merger notice was accepted and the company was to go public, but the goobers noticed some fuckery. Donnie kept their share quantities, but drastically increased the amount of company shares available when it goes public, knocking down the goobers' share to 1%. Donnie intended to then siphon off the rest of that percentage and send it to his kids.

So now, the goobers have filed three lawsuits, likely leading to a huge delay of the company going public, all because Donnie was a cheap gently caress.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/02/29/truth-social-lawsuit-trump-media-founders/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Can't stop won't stop.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

facialimpediment posted:

IIRC, the law also has a timer on it that says businesses can't just switch and would have to either be a brand new business, or have been a bakery/Panera before 2023.

Ah yes, the "bake and switch"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can’t buy just bread at subway.

The real question is if Jimmy John’s counts.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

The real question is if Jimmy John’s counts.

quote:

FRESH BAKED FRENCH BREAD

710 cal

Seems like it to me. :shrug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gavbot says that the accusations are “absurd”.

quote:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration has denied a news report that he pushed for an exception to the state’s new fast-food minimum wage law that benefits a wealthy campaign donor.

California’s minimum wage is $16 per hour. But starting April 1, most fast-food restaurants in the state must pay their workers at least $20 an hour under legislation Newsom signed last year to much fanfare. It doesn’t apply to restaurants that have on-site bakeries and sell bread as a stand-alone menu item.

That exception puzzled some industry watchers and was never fully explained by Newsom or other supporters of the law. But Bloomberg News on Wednesday reported it was connected to opposition from Panera Bread franchisee Greg Flynn, whose company owns 24 of the restaurants in California and has donated to Newsom’s campaigns.

“This story is absurd,” Newsom spokesperson Alex Stack said Thursday.

Flynn said in a statement Thursday that he opposed the initial legislation and suggested fast casual restaurants like bakeries, bagel shops and delis be excluded “if the intent of the bill was to address alleged labor code violations in fast food restaurants.”

But he denied asking for “an exemption or special considerations” and said he was surprised when the exemption appeared in the final bill. He said he met with Newsom’s staff about the bill alongside other restaurant owners but did not speak to the governor about it.

The Flynn Group and Flynn Properties operate 2,600 restaurants and fitness centers across 44 states, according to the company’s website. Campaign finance records show Flynn Properties and Greg Flynn — the founder, chairman and CEO — have donated more than $220,000 to Newsom’s political campaigns since 2017. That included a $100,000 donation to Newsom’s campaign to defeat a recall attempt in 2021.

The governor’s office is now arguing Panera Bread is not exempt from the law.

Stack said to be exempt from the minimum wage law as a bakery, restaurants must produce bread for sale on site. The Governor’s Office said many chain bakeries, such as Panera Bread, mix dough at a centralized off-site location and then ship that dough to the restaurant for baking and sale.

Since last year, Panera Bread has been reported as a restaurant exempt from the law and Newsom’s office has not said otherwise, even when the governor was directly asked why the chain was exempt.

A message left with Panera Bread about their baking process were not immediately returned. Flynn’s statement did not directly address that argument, but he says its likely his restaurants will have to raise wages either way.

“Such a narrow exemption has very little practical value. As it applies to all of our peer restaurants in the fast casual segment, we will almost certainly have to offer market value wages in order to attract and retain employees,” he said.

Republican leaders in the state Legislature highlighted the report and called for an investigation.

“Put simply, campaign contributions should not buy carveouts in legislation,” Republican state Senate leader Brian Jones said. “It’s unacceptable.”

Assemblymember James Gallagher, the Republican leader in the assembly, said Attorney General Rob Bonta or another entity responsible for investigating conflicts of interest should look into the matter.

“This exemption, there is no explanation for it. Someone had to push for it,” he said.

The law was authored by Assemblymember Chris Holden, a Democrat from Pasadena. Holden told reporters Thursday he was not involved in the negotiations over the bill’s final amendments, which included the $20 minimum wage increase and the exemption for bakeries. He said those talks happened between the business community and labor unions — groups Holden said were brought together “through the governor’s leadership.”

Holden said he did not know Flynn or his status as a Newsom campaign donor. He declined to discuss if there were any legitimate policy reasons for exempting bakeries from the law.

“I’m not going to try to start parceling every individual group,” Holden said. “The way that the bill moved forward, everyone who’s in is in.”

The law represented a compromise between labor unions and business groups. Tia Orr, executive director of the Service Employees International Union California, said the law was “a transformational step toward an economy that works for all, not just billionaires.”

“Like all transformational initiatives, it addressed difficult questions around its scope, including what constitutes a fast-food restaurant as opposed to a bakery, for example, and it involved literally hundreds of businesses in discussions,” Orr said. “But the big picture is clear: a half million fast food workers in our state now have the power to improve their workplaces.”

Dan Schnur, who teaches political communications at the University of Southern California and the University of California, Berkeley, said the issue has the potential to damage Newsom, much like when Newsom went to dinner at the French Laundry during the pandemic at a time when he was urging people to avoid public gatherings to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. That issue gave momentum to a recall effort, which voters ultimately rejected.

“The last time the governor got in the middle of a restaurant-related controversy, his hesitation to address it turned a small problem into a much bigger one,” Schur said.

Lawmakers are considering more exemptions for the fast-food minimum wage increase. On Thursday, the state Senate approved a bill that would exclude fast-food restaurants in “airports, hotels, large event centers, theme parks, museums, gambling establishments, corporate campuses and certain public lands.”

Holden said workers in these restaurants are attempting to negotiate salaries higher than $20 per hour. He said they were concerned being included in the minimum wage law would hurt those negotiations.

___

Associated Press reporter Trân Nguyễn contributed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Exempt them if they bring back the death lemonade

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
gently caress Newsom, he's a gigantic piece of poo poo. Hopefully this derails any hope of him becoming one of the next generation of democrat leaders.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

facialimpediment posted:

So Donnie was pretty poised to make like $3B on the weird Truth Social SPAC deal. Basically, some wall street goobers built up a shell corp to subsume truth social / trump media group. They gave him 90% ownership in the resulting company, with like 8% going to themselves. Everyone involved could cash out in six months.

Then the merger notice was accepted and the company was to go public, but the goobers noticed some fuckery. Donnie kept their share quantities, but drastically increased the amount of company shares available when it goes public, knocking down the goobers' share to 1%. Donnie intended to then siphon off the rest of that percentage and send it to his kids.

So now, the goobers have filed three lawsuits, likely leading to a huge delay of the company going public, all because Donnie was a cheap gently caress.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/02/29/truth-social-lawsuit-trump-media-founders/

That's a good autopetard hoisting right there.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

facialimpediment posted:

jesus christ, Trump wouldn't even give them a single percent for helping him, lmao

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1763339446634574050

quote:

Federal prosecutors proposed a July 8 start date, while attorneys for Trump suggested he stand trial Aug. 12. Trump's proposed date was a surprise, because he and his attorneys have maintained that the trial should be held after the presidential election in November.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do..._source=twitter

Boy, I hope that's yet another Trump Legal Team Fuckup and not some sort of 4D chess to ask for August 12th.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

They meant to ask for December 8th but hosed up

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They meant to ask for next year, but thought it was still 2023.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I mean, I'm genuinely not sure that Elon could manage to have someone assassinated via Tesla given that he doesn't understand the first thing about how internet views work.

EDIT: Not saying he wouldn't try, but Tesla can't even make a car that drives straight in normal traffic. There's no reason to assume this was deliberate AI fuckery when their ordinary self-driving is bad enough on its own.

I was driving behind a Tesla on the way home tonight and it was tapping the brakes seemingly at random on the freeway. I assumed two foot driver until I got close enough to see it was a Tesla.

Also I am very disappointed that not a single poster made an “uh oh” joke on page 38.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

FYI - Trump isn’t set to make $3.5bn. That number is tossed around because people are doing this math: trump shares of truth social*current market price of DWAC. DWAC is the already public shell company that will be doing a reverse merger with truth social. The DWAC mkt cap is $1.5bn. Trump having 3x as much truth shares as DWAC shares that exist doesn’t mean that after the merger he suddenly has $3.5bn. If you triple the amount of stock a company has, the price is going to roughly cut to 1/3 of what it was.

In order for Trump to have $3.5bn in DWAC post merger, the market has to ignore this insane amount of stock dilution, maintain the current price for six months, and then be prepared to buy all of his shares at market price. It’s an absurd belief.

SPAC returns in general no longer are positive after 6 months. There is no way in hell Trump could get a billion for all of his shares - the market has said the company is worth $1.5bn and him trying to dump everything on the market would crater the price to penny stock levels.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah all fair points, quite a few commentators are saying that even repeating the $3B claim is just carrying his/their water because of how absurd it is. I more mention that topline because it was likely a future income source he could've borrowed against for the Carroll/NY bonds. But he hosed himself out of that source at the exact time he needed it by loving over the goobers.

It was also noted that in Carroll I, Donnie didn't even post the bond (I think $5m) like most rich fucks do - he gave it in cash. He could be hosed out of the loan/bond market and this nonsense was going to be his best upcoming income source, of any type.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He didn’t post the judgment. His campaign/PACs did. Also a big thing to point out. He hasn’t spent a penny of his own money on any of the legal issues so far.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why would you take that post as a post saying that obviously Elon tried to assassinate someone? It says the opposite.

Unless that's the joke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CainFortea posted:

Why would you take that post as a post saying that obviously Elon tried to assassinate someone? It says the opposite.

Unless that's the joke?

Mii reed gud