Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
I'm calling these crystal "egg" dim sum:

Wrapper:
1/3 C. Boiling water
1 C. Wheat Starch
1/3 C. Potato Starch Flour
pinch of salt
2 tsp. peanut oil (with another 1/2 tsp more for hands/rolling pin when working with dough)
1/2 tsp matcha green tea powder (for color)

"Egg" Filling:
8 ounces extra firm tofu
1Tb. Nutritional Yeast
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Sambal Malek edit: Kala Namek (Black Salt Powder)

Vegetable Filling:
~1 C. White beech mushrooms, sliced small
~1/2 C. Spinach, stems removed and roughly chopped
2 green onions, sliced small

Dipping Sauce
1 Clove garlic, minced
1inch fresh ginger, minced
2 Tb. Low Sodium Soy Sauce
1 tsp. Rice Vinegar
1 tsp. Chili Oil
1/2 tsp. Sesame Oil
(Edit: just remembered this also has 1 tsp sugar dissolved in 1 Tb. Hot water too)

Garnish
Carrots
Green onion
Cilantro

Step 1.) Add boiling water to dry wrapper ingredients in a bowl and add oil. Stir with spoon to start until temp cools and its safe to knead with your hands. Nevermind the beet root powder, it didn't work out, so I'm only using the matcha powder. In hindsight, I would have sifted my dry ingredients because the matcha ended up clumping. Set dough aside, covered in plastic, until ready to use:

Step 2.) Hand crumble tofu into a pan on low heat. Add nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, and kala namek. The kala namek (aka black salt powder) is what gives it an eggy flavor, however it is still salt - so I'm pairing this dish with low sodium soy sauce to keep sodium level reasonable. Stir until well blended, but without totally crushing to create scrambled "eggs".

Step 3) Add mushrooms, green onions and spinach to a pan on med-low and cook until spinach is wilted and onions are starting to become see-through. Then add the veggie mix to the scrambled "eggs" in a bowl and mix:

Step 4.) Roll out dim sum wrappers, approx 4-5 inches across. Makes 16 wrappers:

Step 5.) Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon into each wrapper and try to pleat them in half. Then add to lined bamboo steamer:

Step 6.) Make dipping sauce by combining ingredients in a bowl, and set aside:

Step 7.) Five dumplings should fit in one level of a 10" bamboo steamer. I steamed two layers for 10 minutes, until "crystal" wrapper becomes see-through. Garnish with green onion, carrot and cilantro:

Edited to add photo. 3/30/2024 at 11:24pm
Edited for spelling

Ulillinguist fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

The wrappers do look gorgeous, and the "scrambled egg" is intriguing. Can you actually taste the macha in this?

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

Griddle of Love posted:

The wrappers do look gorgeous, and the "scrambled egg" is intriguing. Can you actually taste the macha in this?

Thank you!

Not really, the matcha powder is just enough for color. The wrappers have a standard earthy/flour taste.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
You made that look perfect. Nice work!!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Did you cut those carrots or something? How did you make them? They look so cool. And where is black salt called sambal malek? Is that a translation of "black salt" in some language or does it mean something else? I didn't know anyone used it outside of India.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did you cut those carrots or something? How did you make them? They look so cool. And where is black salt called sambal malek? Is that a translation of "black salt" in some language or does it mean something else? I didn't know anyone used it outside of India.

Black salt is used all over the place as a support of egg flavor for cooking and is widely available across the USA. I have a stock of Kala Namak but I've not heard of sambal malek? I do have sambal oelek as well but that's obviously not eggy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Black salt is used all over the place as a support of egg flavor for cooking and is widely available across the USA. I have a stock of Kala Namak but I've not heard of sambal malek? I do have sambal oelek as well but that's obviously not eggy.
I meant I didn't know anyone used it for actual stuff aside from faking eggs, apart from in India. I figured if it has a real name in some language then it's used for real stuff, not faking eggs.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah! I have four tiny Chinese cookie cutters. I got the idea to use them on carrots from the cover of this cookbook:

The Vibrant Hong Kong Table: 88 Iconic Vegan Recipes from Dim Sum to Late-Night Snacks https://a.co/d/a82eYU2

Well, this is embarrassing - I got my words mixed up. It's actually called kala namek. I'll edit my recipe above, thank you for pointing this out!

I finally found black salt in the third Asian Grocery store I went to in the spice isle. It's my understanding that it's mostly used in India, maybe Middle Eastern cuisine too. Otherwise it's available on Amazon:

Spicy World Black Salt Powder (Kala Namak Mineral) 7 Oz - Vegan, Pure, Unrefined, Non-GMO & Natural - Perfect for Tofu Scramble, Egg Taste https://a.co/d/0vXPtNO

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You're right! I got my spice names all mixed up. I've corrected my recipe, thank you for pointing this out.

I was finally able to find it at the third Asian grocery store I went to. It was not at my average Minneapolis/American grocery stores, including Whole Foods which typically has more vegan-inspired stuff.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I love how these look, and those carrots are so cool - very cute plating touch.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Qu’elle soit extra ou ordinaire
Chaque vie finit d'la même manière
C'est la seule justice sur la Terre
Tous égaux dans le cimetière

The egg filling is a such a great idea, it's pretty much the recipe I use when making my fake scrambled eggs and using them within a dumpling is something I absolutely need to try. Looks delicious :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Ulillinguist posted:

You're right! I got my spice names all mixed up. I've corrected my recipe, thank you for pointing this out.

I was finally able to find it at the third Asian grocery store I went to. It was not at my average Minneapolis/American grocery stores, including Whole Foods which typically has more vegan-inspired stuff.

With ya on that, I've never seen a whole foods carry kala namak even in their cultural sections where everything they carry from middle eastern to east asian tend to reside - and I have shopped at enough whole foods to memorize the layouts between the different kinds of stores they build.