Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sW1chyboi
Mar 13, 2024

IDK how to navigate this webby site, pls help me.
Its super weird, mabey im too american but it sounds like a childrens book sometimes. but the accent on the other hand is pretty neat.

Rubbish seems kinda wired word to call trash im kinda fine with that but i dont like the word rubber which is Eraser in the United States.

Whats your least favorite british word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

shut up oval office

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

but yeah idk some british accents say words funny

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

sW1chyboi posted:

im too american

I think we found the problem

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I realise that British English isn't everyone's favourite, but I think we can all appreciate it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Sticky Willies.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Grey Cat posted:

Sticky Willies.

My sister and I play a game where we guess the British slang for various objects. The trick is to act like you're cooing at a newborn.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wait till you meet Australians.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Das Boo posted:

My sister and I play a game where we guess the British slang for various objects. The trick is to act like you're cooing at a newborn.

The Ooz Baaaa

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
"brekkie"

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
British English's continued insistence that the plurality of a word comes from its originator language is one of the dumbest things to come out of any language.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

i am glad I grew up learning New Mexican vernacular spanglish cuz i love callin people ese and saying a la verga and chingón

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

'ell 'ell 'ell 'hat 'ave we 'ere???

*Taps your under carriage with my Billy Club

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
i prefer gasoline over petrol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Solefald posted:

shut up oval office

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

by vyelkin
british words are full of whimsy to make up for their displeasure of being alive op

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I've always been fond of the word 'Twat'.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Do yuo prefer maths or sport?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

“Chip butty” is an honest to god real British phrase and food and I don’t know what’s real anymore.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

deported to Canada posted:

I've always been fond of the word 'Twat'.

we play footy

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

It’s disconcerting at first but you can get along pretty well if you just remember a few simple rules. Fries are chips and chips are crisps. The crisps are cooked properly but the chips are underdone by law.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

They call it "The Telly"

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

“Chip butty” is an honest to god real British phrase and food and I don’t know what’s real anymore.

Footy scran.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It’s disconcerting at first but you can get along pretty well if you just remember a few simple rules. Fries are chips and chips are crisps. The crisps are cooked properly but the chips are underdone by law.

Also bum and means Roger, and vice versa.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
"at uni", "in hospital"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"lift" means elevator

"water closet" means that old closet you can piss in

sW1chyboi
Mar 13, 2024

IDK how to navigate this webby site, pls help me.

MrQwerty posted:

i am glad I grew up learning New Mexican vernacular spanglish cuz i love callin people ese and saying a la verga and chingón

What does those words mean?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

scottish = scotch, british = britch

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Most british english doesn't actually exist, it's just for daytime TV ads to pretend to be down to earth working class.

"Oo everywun's lookin to seeve a few bob these deys and lidl is cuttin prahces across the reenge"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

sW1chyboi posted:

What does those words mean?

ese can mean anything between brohomeboy to a slur, a la verga means !~ and chingón can also mean anything between brohomeboy to a slur in NM vernacular spanglish
tone is real important

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Most british english doesn't actually exist, it's just for daytime TV ads to pretend to be down to earth working class.

"Oo everywun's lookin to seeve a few bob these deys and lidl is cuttin prahces across the reenge"

Rioght rioght rioght

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think b*llend is an underutilised British curse.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

by Athanatos
I’m honestly surprised that they didn’t name a grocery chain Piggly-Wiggy before US southerners did. They probably would have spelled it Piggily-Wiggily though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Ye Olde Piggly Wiggly

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
British English is objectively worse than American English in every way, but it's mostly fine. Except dumb cutesy rhyming expressions that only old ladies use, something about "cream-crackered" just makes me want to throw a punch.
Actually the worst thing about British English might be the general lack of Oxford commas. Apparently they never really caught on in the rest of the country, who knew?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like the way British people refuse to sound too French while saying French words like garage, making it rhyme with marriage.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

shut it or i'll fuckin' chib ye OP ye jakey bampot

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Snowy posted:

I like the way British people refuse to sound too French while saying French words like garage, making it rhyme with marriage.

Then they go and call zucchinis "courgettes".

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The British talk almost completely in slurs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Top it up Jeeves