Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

FogHelmut posted:

no, the score is better, and probably the effects, and the budget mainly. annoying kids aside, arnold was in peak arnold mode by 1991.

honestly they're really close. id say the only place the first one lacks is the cheesy 80's horror tone with sarah barely crawling through the factory before crushing the terminator.

Obviously the budget and thus effects are much bigger. Is that enough to make a movie better? The original is gritty, realistic, harsh and dramatic. The sequel turned Arnold into a good guy - the opposite of the impact of the original. And has a kid lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The score from T1 is so much better it's not even funny.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

Obviously the budget and thus effects are much bigger. Is that enough to make a movie better? The original is gritty, realistic, harsh and dramatic. The sequel turned Arnold into a good guy - the opposite of the impact of the original. And has a kid lead.

yeah kids suck, they're lovely actors, and their sassyness around adults is not believable, and the other dialogue was poo poo "get ahold of yourself john." blah blah blah.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Irradiation posted:

The score from T1 is so much better it's not even funny.

yeah i guess if you're into "irony" or whatever with cheesy casio operations going on

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fetus Tree posted:

i liked the terminator that had christian bale in it

it was a pretty good post apoc movie iirc, but ive only seen it once so who knows. but i recall being entertained

You are stupid.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

And don't get me wrong, T2 IS awesome. I'm just saying it's not as awesome as the original.

I mean, the police station scene in T1 is far better than anything in any other T movie.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kirk Johnson posted:

Why the gently caress would you make infiltration units look like giant muscly dudes? they're going to stand out a mile when people are malnourished and living in sewer tunnels. YOU WEREN'T THINKING THIS THROUGH JAMES CAMERON

Sure he was.

Do you remember how loving HUGE the endoskeleton is? If they're going to stuff that in a flesh package, they're going to need a drat big shell.

This really plays well into the T1000 being far smaller, more regular looking. A clear improvement on infiltration, because his very nature wouldn't require a massive metal frame.

We'll ignore the TX since quite frankly, that was an hilariously terrible hybrid of a regular Terminator and a T1000.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

And don't get me wrong, T2 IS awesome. I'm just saying it's not as awesome as the original.

I mean, the police station scene in T1 is far better than anything in any other T movie.

police station is badass, "i'll be back" is badass, tech noir is badass, phase plasma rifles in the 40 watt range are badass, sarah's roommate playing drums with celery is badass.

Blazing Ownager posted:

We'll ignore the TX since quite frankly, that was an hilariously terrible hybrid of a regular Terminator and a T1000.

also it had "X" in the name which is pretty lovely and lazy way to try to sound badass, like imagine if the endoskeleton was also flat "tactical" black.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

FogHelmut posted:

yeah i guess if you're into "irony" or whatever with cheesy casio operations going on

This legitimately owns sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywnTKg3OtY

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

police station is badass, "i'll be back" is badass, tech noir is badass, phase plasma rifles in the 40 watt range are badass, sarah's roommate playing drums with celery is badass.

also it had "X" in the name which is pretty lovely and lazy way to try to sound badass, like imagine if the endoskeleton was also flat "tactical" black.

Oh hell yeah, Tech Noir scene is the best.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
OK, for the record, I hate what Lucas did/inspired with directors going back to fix their older works, or adjust special effects.

But is there anyone in here that would complain if the Terminator got a re-release with the stop motion effects digitally smoothed out? It's literally the only part of the movie that really has not aged well. The other practical effects look great.

ED: I also submit that "Flying into the atmosphere processor" scene is the only one that aged badly in Aliens, too. Not many 86 movies I'd say that about.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 31, 2014

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Agent Escalus posted:

But Salvation was better than 3. gently caress 3 forever.

ahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah Nope.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I apologize, as I did not realize there is a T2 thread. CU there.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I liked Salvation well enough. I liked the main actors, I thought the atmosphere was pretty rich and it was finally a movie about the future war that we'd never gotten. The opening action scene is REALLY strong, but the movie sort of peters out until the climax after that.

Skynet's plan is kind of dumb and they don't do enough with the terminator dude in it. Helena Bonham Carter being the face of Skynet wasn't all that impressive either.

I always interpreted the Arnold cameo in that movie to be that--in this new timeline--to be the original Terminator that we see in T1. It'd make sense if this is a new timeline--and thus there's no guarantee of success or that events will play out as relayed by the time travelers before--and thus Skynet has not yet attempted to assisinate Connor in the past yet, presumably because he still isn't the commander of the rebels, but just some popular soldier. So in that factory place, John faces the literal T1 Terminator.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The only good action in Salvation is at the start and the end.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
T3 best movie in the franchise because they nuked humanity.

10/10, all movies should end this way.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

drat this is pretty badass

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Blazing Ownager posted:

OK, for the record, I hate what Lucas did/inspired with directors going back to fix their older works, or adjust special effects.

But is there anyone in here that would complain if the Terminator got a re-release with the stop motion effects digitally smoothed out? It's literally the only part of the movie that really has not aged well. The other practical effects look great.

ED: I also submit that "Flying into the atmosphere processor" scene is the only one that aged badly in Aliens, too. Not many 86 movies I'd say that about.

Today's effects to rerelease? Where's the kickstarter?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lowen SoDium posted:

So it fooled the time portal?

given that it came through as a human, yes. lol do you think people touching the t-1000 would feel metal or something?

goons can't watch films

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Blazing Ownager posted:

So long as any release also comes with the original version, Im all for something like this

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The long rear end monologue at the end of Salvation explaining everything that happened in the movie for people too stupid to figure out what they just watched for the past hour an a half is indefensible garbage. The rest was decent to passable but that scene was grade A poo poo.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Why not shove a laser gun into a salami or something to send it back in time? Or in a cow's butt?

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp

Yodzilla posted:

The long rear end monologue at the end of Salvation explaining everything that happened in the movie for people too stupid to figure out what they just watched for the past hour an a half is indefensible garbage. The rest was decent to passable but that scene was grade A poo poo.

Terminator Salvation was grade A poo poo.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna be the guy who points out that you can hear Arnold's penis slapping his thigh when he's walking around naked at the beginning of Terminator

whatever foley artist came up with that didn't get paid nearly enough

newreply.php posted:

theres a terminator called Cromartie in TSCC and i thought that was maybe what the last GBS title referred to.

turns out it was an animu, quelle surprise

the plotline where you find out that the human they modeled Cromartie off of was a B-movie actor so you had people thinking the star of Beastwizard has inexplicably become a mass-murderer was loving awesome

same with the story about a Terminator who hosed up time travel and wound up in the 1920s so he became a successful building mogul by hiring blacks and chinese and then had himself walled up in one of his own hotels and just went into sleep mode for a century

Al Cowens posted:

COME WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO LIVE
WITH ME
IN MY APARTMENT
I NEED A ROOMMATE

LIVE WITH ME IF YOU WANT TO COME :heysexy:

TryAgainBragg
May 5, 2014
T3 had one decent piece of writing and that was the switch for johns saftey because "judgement day is inevitable". Oh and arnold casually tossing a low yeild nuke out the car window before it explodes. good times.

Kaytwo
Jun 2, 2014

by Ralp
How does anyone say Salvation was better than 3? I mean Salvation had cringeworthy as gently caress romance between a robot and a hot brunette how more off the rails crazy do u get

help me out here

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Ogre posted:

The T-1000 isn't living tissue. So how in the gently caress did it come back in time?
He was covered in bees.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TryAgainBragg posted:

T3 had one decent piece of writing and that was the switch for johns saftey because "judgement day is inevitable". Oh and arnold casually tossing a low yeild nuke out the car window before it explodes. good times.

If you watch it now and go in with the expectation that it's not a great film, then it's a lot of fun. There's plenty of cool action scenes leading up to the truly great ending.

It's no where near the level of T1 and T2 though.

For example, a scoring system:

T1: 98
T2: 94
T3: 73
T4: 68

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Fat Ogre posted:

I saw T2 in the theater when I was a kid and while I loved it, it has a lot of problems you guys gloss over in your love of it.

T3 was good because of the fact that it showed that you can't stop Judgement Day from happening, doing so causes a paradox. The last 20 minutes were worth any problems with the first half (specifically killing future leaders with the the T-X when they were kids, the T-X being less useful than the T-1000 etc).

Issues with T-2 people gloss over.

The T-1000 isn't living tissue. So how in the gently caress did it come back in time?

At the end of T1 Sarah agonizes about telling John about Kyle knowing that if he doesn't send Kyle back he could never be. Then in the second movie she's gung ho badass lady that wants to stop judgement day and thus erase her son from existence. If she truly believed she fixed judgement day John should have ceased to exist. His existence at all means that judgement day has to happen. The no fate but what we make stuff is her crazy way of raging against an immutable fate that her son proves by merely existing.

That Skynet sent another machine back after the first one failed to kill Sarah Conner is kind of absurd. In that Skynet would quickly deduce it can't ever stop John Conner because in doing so it causes a paradox, unless Time Travel in the Terminator universe works on a Multiverse theory like Timeline which at that point it isn't time travel so much as an episode of sliders where each universe you're jumping into is so many minutes behind or ahead of the current one you left, and your actions never affect your starting timeline because that is a different universe.

Twelve Monkeys handled time travel the best in that if time travel happens it has already happened and it cannot affect the timeline at all period. I think T3 was an attempt to fix the issues Cameron didn't address from T1 and T2, specifically the paradox of John Connor's existence.

Guess what nerd time travel isn't real so it doesn't matter even a little bit

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I'm gonna be the guy who points out that you can hear Arnold's penis slapping his thigh when he's walking around naked at the beginning of Terminator

whatever foley artist came up with that didn't get paid nearly enough

I believe he got paid too much, because its not visible in the original, just in the high deff version.. it was quite the floppy surprise.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

redshirt posted:

If you watch it now and go in with the expectation that it's not a great film, then it's a lot of fun. There's plenty of cool action scenes leading up to the truly great ending.

It's no where near the level of T1 and T2 though.

For example, a scoring system:

T1: 98
T2: 94
T3: 73
T4: 68

hey buddy you accidentally switched t1s score with t2

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Dubious posted:

This piece of poo poo invalidated T2, gently caress this movie. 1/10

whoa whoa, T2 is still awesome

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

When you don't scroll down enough it looks a second woman is giving that guy head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
At first glance I was like "holy poo poo that guy is wearing a squirrel!"
But when I looked better I was like "holy poo poo that guy is wearing a squirrel!"

• Locked thread