Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cowboys & Aliens: a completely asinine premise for a movie but for some reason it's entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

Khazar-khum posted:

The classic, standard Idiot Plot is one where everything would be over right now if everyone involved wasn't an idiot. If the hero and heroine stopped and talked about things for maybe a minute, all the confusion would go away and the film would be over. It's really common in romcoms, where there's some stupid misunderstanding that keeps everyone upset and mad until the aspie kid or the dog or Magical Negro comes along and sets things right, so everyone can be happy.

I remember reading Ebert explain idiot plot years ago, IIRC the example was Footloose. There's only a plot because preacher Lithgow's being a dick, and then he stops being a dick. I think, I barely remember that movie. I should re-watch it since it probably qualifies for this thread.

Thinking about it, probably every movie Vince Vaughan has ever been in qualifies as idiot plot.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

im not sure if bad santa counts

but i like bad santa, and it is not a really high brow film, so

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Phobic Nest posted:

Thinking about it, probably every movie Vince Vaughan has ever been in qualifies as idiot plot.
hes probably physically touched adam sandler in his life so yeah

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Smokin Aces
Crank

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Forgot to mention my personal fave terrible/awesome movie Xanadu. I could watch the last fifteen minutes forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb4WLZHXcds

Like, if you want Olivia Newton John in a musical that's competently made/written/shot/better in every way watch Grease, but if you want cheesy '80s effects and sound and outfits in what's basically an overlong music video on rollerskates... Well, you have similar brain problems as me and need Xanadu in your life.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
fast&furious the latest ones that are about fast cars and punching faces

dumb movies

fun movies

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

dude wheres my car

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

A Spider Covets posted:

It's sharp and witty, so while it's profane it's not 'dumb'. Bad Santa rules.

I kind of feel the same way about Dumb and Dumber - it's not a high brow movie by any means, but it is pretty clever in how it portrays stupidity.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i dunno if either of those count as dumb as gently caress. in dumb and dumber the subject matter is two guys who are dumb as gently caress, but i don't think that makes the movie dumb as gently caress.
dude where's my car and the sequel the butterfly effect are definitely dumb as gently caress though

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

shoot em up is really loving stupid and good

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

A Spider Covets posted:

bad santas really p good but its kinda depressing to watch now

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pillow Clerk posted:

The Mummy, staring Brendan Fraiser

I think this was a better Indiana Jones sequel than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it's that good.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Flash Gordon
Pet Semetary 2
Brainscan
Crank 2
The Explorers

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

I think this was a better Indiana Jones sequel than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it's that good.

Counterpoint: That movie sucks, and is actually worse than KOTCS.

For content, Maximum Overdrive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

You Are A Elf posted:

The Mummy was a legit good, entertaining movie, even if it's not highbrow. The Mummy Returns was a lovely sequel piece of garbage, but it has just enough redeeming qualities that I think it could qualify for inclusion in this thread. I confess: I will watch either of them when I'm hungover and/or bored, and they're on the TV, which seems to be, oddly enough, every time I'm hungover or bored.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Look at this scrub.

Pillow Clerk
Oct 18, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Whoa?! Now lets not say anything we can't take back. I think upon reflection you'll agree that the mummy is great and kingdom of the crystal skull is in fact very bad.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

PT6A posted:

The Mummy was a legit good, entertaining movie, even if it's not highbrow. The Mummy Returns was a lovely sequel piece of garbage, but it has just enough redeeming qualities that I think it could qualify for inclusion in this thread. I confess: I will watch either of them when I'm hungover and/or bored, and they're on the TV, which seems to be, oddly enough, every time I'm hungover or bored.

Best part of the second Mummy movie was Imhotep just running in dramatically and falling to his knees yelling "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!" as the Scorpion King bites it.

Don Mega
Nov 26, 2005
greatest scene in cinema history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tDUwNjw7ms

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Crazy Ted posted:

Cowboys & Aliens: a completely asinine premise for a movie but for some reason it's entertaining.

It was a refreshing break from Liam Neeson's usual "You kidnapped someone important to me and now you must die" movies

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Basically all of the early Adam Sandler movies. Dumb as gently caress but I can't help but laugh at them. Sadly, his other more recent movies are just dumb as gently caress with no redeeming qualities.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Also like nobody I talk to remembers much about Pleasantville but I genuinely loving love that movie

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Also like nobody I talk to remembers much about Pleasantville but I genuinely loving love that movie

The movie wasn't remarkable but I wouldn't go so far as to call it dumb as gently caress, it was well made and an interesting enough story.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah the problem with Pleasantville isn't that's dumb it's that it's premise is completely lacking in subtlety.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

There are few differences between this movie and the Robin Hood parody Men in Tights, but it still has badass parts, like when Morgan Freeman throws his scimitar through that satanic bishop.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Adventures in Babysitting and Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

B.H. Facials posted:

Adventures in Babysitting and Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.

Add License to Drive and Three O'Clock High to that list

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

All fiction is dumb as gently caress because it would never happen in real life, so it's just lies that aren't real, most hollywood movies are really far from reality.

PS I design paperclips for a living

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

JebanyPedal posted:

This is still easily the stupidest loving movie I have ever seen in my life.

gently caress leprechaun in the hood forever

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-b1RGU8xZU

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

I have absolutely no business liking this movie, but for some reason I'm never not in the mood to see it.
Guy Pearce is a hilarious badass and the villain is an unintelligible childlike psycho.
Plus it's in space.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Street Fighter. It's really bad and corny, but it's got Jean Claude Van Damm failing at sounding American and Raul Julia chewing apart the scenery. It's really amazing :allears:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

babypolis posted:

shoot em up is really loving stupid and good

It's incredible

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Iron Sky

Its absolutely loving dumb but whats not to like about space invading nazis from the moon.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Crank 2 and Mission Impossible 3, all day son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Shanghai Noon

• Locked thread