Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

if anyone wonders why modern cinema is in the state it's in just count how many posts are in any given movie (Star Wars, Jarassic Park, Avengers) thread "they're supposed to be mindless fun!!" "they're not the best but, explosions :downs:" and my favorite "it's a kids* movie!!!"

*lovely romantic sub plot injected twice
*hide the zucchini jokes
*nuances ab the duality of war and the fact that Tony Stark is an arms dealer
*3 loving hours long of mindless brutal violence with no resolution or meaning
*several on screen fatalities

Odds are 3 to 1 some of your favorite movies are 80s genre trash that slipped in a ton of material that would never fly in a kid's movie today like Gremlins or Poltergeist or even the Goonies with the cave of "One-Eyed Willy."

please take your kids to watch good movies instead of a 3 hour jerk fest for stunted man children

:qq: PLEASE THINK OF THE REAL CINEMA :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

if anyone wonders why modern cinema is in the state it's in just count how many posts are in any given movie (Star Wars, Jarassic Park, Avengers) thread "they're supposed to be mindless fun!!" "they're not the best but, explosions :downs:" and my favorite "it's a kids* movie!!!"

*lovely romantic sub plot injected twice
*hide the zucchini jokes
*nuances ab the duality of war and the fact that Tony Stark is an arms dealer
*3 loving hours long of mindless brutal violence with no resolution or meaning
*several on screen fatalities

Avengers 2 wasn't mindless it was a solid action movie that followed the source material rather faithfully.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Cinema shouldn't be this thing you take ultraseriously but if you want to, there are films you can watch to do that instead of crying about other movies that are a good time (like Avengers 2).

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Odds are 3 to 1 some of your favorite movies are 80s genre trash that slipped in a ton of material that would never fly in a kid's movie today like Gremlins or Poltergeist or even the Goonies with the cave of "One-Eyed Willy."

:qq: PLEASE THINK OF THE REAL CINEMA :qq:

I like sports movies

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Taint Reaper posted:

Avengers 2 wasn't mindless it was a solid action movie that followed the source material rather faithfully.

there's no tension, there's no stakes or anything invested, nothing bad happens, and the source material isn't for kids it's for adult men - the toys sell themselves because kids are stupid, it's people with jobs that buy tickets

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

Cinema shouldn't be this thing you take ultraseriously but if you want to, there are films you can watch to do that instead of crying about other movies that are a good time (like Avengers 2).

Cinema isn't something I take ultra seriously, I'm too burned out on super hero crap and avengies 2 was probably the last one I'll see. The fact that people are flippant about a really bad movie just because they have some stupid loyalty to cartoon characters or whatever is pretty lol and goony thou

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

there's no tension, there's no stakes or anything invested, nothing bad happens
100% faithful to the source

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Cinema isn't something I take ultra seriously, I'm too burned out on super hero crap and avengies 2 was probably the last one I'll see. The fact that people are flippant about a really bad movie just because they have some stupid loyalty to cartoon characters or whatever is pretty lol and goony thou

I'm not going to write words and words defending it but "really bad" is best saved for actual bad movies. avengers 2 has its flaws but I'd say "really bad" isn't apt. I may be a bit of an apologist in general though because there would have to be obvious technical flaws or downright painful acting before I started calling things really bad. I'd rate avengers 2 along the line of "totally mediocre despite a budget and hype it could never live up to"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like sports movies

I do too, even if they are formulaic and most of the characters are really shallow.

You're literally 15 years late to the party on this. Close your eyes nigga.

there's no tension, there's no stakes or anything invested, nothing bad happens, and the source material isn't for kids it's for adult men - the toys sell themselves because kids are stupid, it's people with jobs that buy tickets

That's because they're soap operas where the primary draw is watching a diverse bunch of very archetypal characters with loosely different genre trappings (war pulp, monster science, Arthurian-Norse fantasy, high-tech espionage) clash into each other. The Ultron crap is an excuse to let all of that happen, and I agree the action sequences go on for way too long. People like worse poo poo for worse reasons. I don't care if you don't like some summer movies but the very reasons you deride it as dumb highlights your inability to see why people like it and that's both ironic and goony as gently caress.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

mind the walrus posted:

That's because they're soap operas where the primary draw is watching a diverse bunch of very archetypal characters with loosely different genre trappings (war pulp, monster science, Arthurian-Norse fantasy, high-tech espionage) clash into each other. The Ultron crap is an excuse to let all of that happen, and I agree the action sequences go on for way too long. People like worse poo poo for worse reasons. I don't care if you don't like some summer movies but the very reasons you deride it as dumb highlights your inability to see why people like it and that's both ironic and goony as gently caress.

Yea, Id be cool with a movie that was nothing but out of costume jawing at each other. They're fun actors with fun chemistry and despite the action scenes being very impressive they're breaking up the best parts of the movie. I propose the following spin offs for marvel phase q;

1 everyone meets back up at hawkeyes for a fun weekend, iron man and cap have to get that drat tractor running in time for the town parade on sunday, the rest of the team is tasked with decorating the float to be pulled by said tractor.

2. the dinner from the end of avengers 1 is the whole movie

3. its kids get in free day at stark land the tony stark theme park, 7 of the adult chaperons go down hard as a result of a trip to the lovely all you can eat chinese place the night before, Stark must rely on 6 allies he saved the world with for their biggest challenge yet, keeping an eye on all these loving kids!

edit: 4. the same as spin off idea 3 but instead of stark land its a stark scholarship science fair and the 6 judges go down blah blah needs 6 allies to help judge this age 8-10 science fair

5. hulks sister is a hard working single mom who has to go out of town for the week for a very big job interview, nerdy bruce banner is stuck watching this baby, he calls hawkeye who isnt home and thus must rely on tony and cap to help him watch this drat baby, 3 men and a baby reboot with bruce, tony and cap (i say reboot cause 3 men and a baby is full of weird 80s poo poo that dont fly today so not really a remake)

Yea, Id pay $30 or whatever the gently caress a movie costs nowadays to see any of these because I like watching those characters gripe at each other, regardless of who the evil villain getting punched is, or why said evil villain is being punched.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 4, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cyberball 2072 posted:

Yea, Id be cool with a movie that was nothing but out of costume jawing at each other. They're fun actors with fun chemistry and despite the action scenes being very impressive they're breaking up the best parts of the movie. I propose the following spin offs for marvel phase q;
1 everyone meets back up at hawkeyes for a fun weekend, iron man and cap have to get that drat tractor running in time for the town parade on sunday, the rest of the team is tasked with decorating the float to be pulled by said tractor.
2. the dinner from the end of avengers 1 is the whole movie 3. its kids get in free day at stark land the tony stark theme park, 7 of the adult chaperons go down hard as a result of a trip to the lovely all you can eat chinese place the night before, Stark must rely on 6 allies he saved the world with for their biggest challenge yet, keeping an eye on all these loving kids!

edit: 4. the same as spin off idea 3 but instead of stark land its a stark scholarship science fair and the 6 judges go down blah blah needs 6 allies to help judge this age 8-10 science fair

The action scenes are necessary to give the soap operatics some punctuation and context, so you'd need to have a bit of that (it's a time-honored tradition in superhero comics where the focus is on downtime that some frivolous bullshit forces an action sequence), but yeah I'd be down with any of these ideas. The Science Fair idea is easily the best one too I want a spec script sent to Disney before the week is up.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hemophilia posted:

100% faithful to the source
in the comics ultron is more successful at murdering civilians. gotta keep the movies kid-friendly

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Enfield posted:

i dont know what any of that means

i hope that lady in your av got help with her anorexia

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

quakster posted:

in the comics ultron is more successful at murdering civilians. gotta keep the movies kid-friendly

i saw iron man 3 and some kid was having a birthday party with his friends or something because there was a big group of little kids and parents clumped together in my small town theater like 4 weeks after release and it was great imagining the looks on some of those parents faces when the terrorism and death to america poo poo started going because these kids couldnt have been more than like 9 or 10

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

i saw iron man 3 and some kid was having a birthday party with his friends or something because there was a big group of little kids and parents clumped together in my small town theater like 4 weeks after release and it was great imagining the looks on some of those parents faces when the terrorism and death to america poo poo started going because these kids couldnt have been more than like 9 or 10
i thought you were talking about the audience surrogate kid within the movie itself for a while there

those loving kids better be able to handle marvel, i saw the toxic avenger when i was 7

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

quakster posted:

those loving kids better be able to handle marvel, i saw the toxic avenger when i was 7

Yeah I know how having kids totally changes the way your brain works and that a lot of the "kids are pussies" today crowd really do go too far and don't recognize that kids literally don't have fully-formed brains... but at the same time if you want these kids to survive in the world at all you've got to let them see poo poo you don't personally approve of and learn to contextualize it or they'll turn out all weird and socially mal-adjusted.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I know how having kids totally changes the way your brain works and that a lot of the "kids are pussies" today crowd really do go too far and don't recognize that kids literally don't have fully-formed brains... but at the same time if you want these kids to survive in the world at all you've got to let them see poo poo you don't personally approve of and learn to contextualize it or they'll turn out all weird and socially mal-adjusted.

nah our generation is absolutely hosed no matter what because half of us shut down if they're not full of mocha latte from starbucks and the other half is trying to change the world by facebook activism

what im trying to say is death to america

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

nah our generation is absolutely hosed no matter what because half of us shut down if they're not full of mocha latte from starbucks and the other half is trying to change the world by facebook activism

what im trying to say is death to america

Praise be to Allah

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
all comic book movies are GARBAGE

is what a humourless fuckshit who never gets invited out to parties says

theyre fun and good lighten up or gently caress off to CinD

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Moola posted:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Moola posted:

any dc movie would like to have a word with you

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
still don't understand why they gave ultron a mouth and moving lips

I wanted the trailer ultron dammit

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

The Real Foogla posted:

still don't understand why they gave ultron a mouth and moving lips

I wanted the trailer ultron dammit

To make it easier for him to express emotion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
black widow is sterile, i.e. a monster

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Pick posted:

Yeah that part was really weird and totally a Whedon thing.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
They can just make her a baby in that hero factory or whatever

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

burritolingus posted:

Yeah that part was really weird and totally a Whedon thing.

I forgot about that..yeah, it was loving stupid.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Pick posted:

I thought she was saying she was a monster because she was created to do nothing but kill, I though the sterility thing was kind of a secondary point

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
It was Whedon trying to be deep and clever, like "she can't make life she can only take life," but 1) it really wasn't deep or clever, and 2) it really didn't fit the tone of a film that's supposed to be this fun superhero action thing for kids, oh and 3) that's really weird for people who can't have kids.

But other than that one really stupid Whedon moment, it was good.

burritolingus fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 4, 2015

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the best part was in the hulk black widow romance, where banner turned into hulk and banged her with his monster tree trunk hog, and she just took it like a champ

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I liked the part when everyone was trying to pick up viking man's hammer but they couldn't and then patriot man made it squeak a bit

Josh Whedon is a genius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

• Locked thread