Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
My wife and I are currently waiting to start new jobs, her next weekend, me around the 20th of October. Her job is commission only and can pay anywhere between 0-2000 dollars per month, while my job will be a full time temp position through to january, paying around 2000 dollars a month after tax. In the meantime, I am applying for new jobs that are permanent and/or look better for experience or salary.

We currently have 1865 dollars total to our name, by the 10th of October we will need to pay off 1135 in rent, 60 in internet, around 90 in power and 11.75 on apartment insurance for around 1300 dollars. These are non-negotiable monthly costs, though I've been thinking of looking for a better deal on internet recently and our power bill will probably get cheaper now summer's over.

That leaves 565 dollars, which needs to cover public transport to interviews for me and college/work for my wife, groceries, doing laundry and posting my mother a birthday present to overseas. We have around 3-4 days worth of food in the cupboard, and we probably have a ton of stuff in the pantry we could eat if we refused to buy anything new before clearing out everything we've already got.

Where do we go from here?

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
increase your income as much as humanly possible, take on as little debt as humanly possible, and save at least 1/3rd of what you're making annually. live for a while, then die.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Working a 100% commission job that tops out at $2k/mo is extremely Bad With Money.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Buy your mom a birthday present and shipping it overseas as an adult who may not be able to eat because of doing so is BWM and screams mommy issues as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The max compensation that your SO can receive at that job is FTE at $12.50 an hour and that does not price risk. You should be able to do approximately that well; if you're not, at least you cut out the variability.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
It's two days a week, she's also a college student doing 4 days a week.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Buy your mom a birthday present and shipping it overseas as an adult who may not be able to eat because of doing so is BWM and screams mommy issues as well.

This is because she offered to send money last time I called since they're doing really well, so if I send her a gift she'll probably give me an interest free loan if i need it.

Got another call for an interview next week that's a better job in theme with my A.S. degree, so it'd be nice if I got that.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 2, 2015

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

She's probably not going to think you need a loan if you're sending a birthday gift from overseas...

Why wouldn't you just ask for a loan if you need it? Or stop all non-necessary spending and then you WON'T need one?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You need a second part time job. The holidays are coming every retail crap hole is looking for weekend and night help. Your income is terrible for a city that requires $1200 a month in housing cost. 5% of your income for internet is bad budgeting but you already know that.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

She's probably not going to think you need a loan if you're sending a birthday gift from overseas...

Why wouldn't you just ask for a loan if you need it? Or stop all non-necessary spending and then you WON'T need one?

There's not much else to say but I'm sure this thread will go back and forth for one hundred pages anyway.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Don't take an interest free loan, live within your income. If you're talking after tax dollars, you've got $700 per month to live off of + whatever your GF makes. Buck up and make it happen.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

n8r posted:

Don't take an interest free loan, live within your income. If you're talking after tax dollars, you've got $700 per month to live off of + whatever your GF makes. Buck up and make it happen.

Yeah, I had to take the loan otherwise our accounts would have gone into the negative and the death spiral of overdraft charges that the poor of America know all too well would have taken place. Also I guess it's actually a gift since there's no pressure of paying it back :shrug:

Wife's first day at work today, earned $190.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

What does your wife actually do?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Exotic Dancer

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Saurus posted:

she's also a college student doing 4 days a week.

The Saurus posted:

Exotic Dancer

What? Like the old "I am just doing this to put myself through college" line? Not that I speak from personal experience, of course.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Sometimes they really are doing it to put themselves through college! It's flexible hours, the busiest times are at the weekend and you certainly bring in a lot more than you would waiting tables so it's not a bad option for young ladies wanting to make some extra cash while they get educated.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

OK first off you can make $30-$40K waiting tables in most normal areas of this country, you can do the arithmetic but that's more than $2K/month. Second off the full time strippers I know make quite a bit more 40K a year, even at the really awful seedy place in town so uhhhh my best guess based on the strippers that have been in my life is that half the paycheck is going up her nose or something?

Wait am I posting in BFC? Is this real life?

Anyway I just don't understand how people can accept jobs for $20something a year, like what the hell? You realize you can say no and keep looking, right? That's an option.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
As stated repeatedly, she isn't full time. She works 1-2 days per week.

Saying no and keeping looking isn't really an option when you're not going to have the money to pay rent and bills unless you start working immediately.

Where are you finding numbers saying that you can make 30-40k a year waiting tables in "most normal areas of this country"? All of the numbers I can find say that the median wage for someone waiting tables is around $20000 a year.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

The Saurus posted:

As stated repeatedly, she isn't full time. She works 1-2 days per week.

Saying no and keeping looking isn't really an option when you're not going to have the money to pay rent and bills unless you start working immediately.

Where are you finding numbers saying that you can make 30-40k a year waiting tables in "most normal areas of this country"? All of the numbers I can find say that the median wage for someone waiting tables is around $20000 a year.
Maybe 20k is what they report... A couple hundred a night is not uncommon in cash tips at a decent restaurant.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

SiGmA_X posted:

Maybe 20k is what they report... A couple hundred a night is not uncommon in cash tips at a decent restaurant.

Yeah, I cleared $25k/yr part time waiting tables 10 years ago, and I'm a dude. Hot blondes with big boobs definitely cleared twice what I did on most nights.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I think you're overestimating "most of this country."

Most of the waiters/waitresses I knew at chain dining establishments (you know, places where someone could actually get a job without a weird waiter CV or giant boobs) were lucky to clear 100 bucks on a good night, and that's if you got scheduled for nights. A lot of people get scheduled for lunch and then cut after like 3 hours, so they earn 40 bucks and give 5 of it back as "tip-out."

Point being, you ain't clearing 30k as a waiter/waitress in the midwest unless you're in a large city and you work at a 25 bucks a plate kind of place that doesn't have too much waitstaff.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Funnily enough, my own weird food service CV got me another interview as a "food runner". Kind of disappointing since I was the expediter and in charge of the food runners/bussers at my last job but I guess I'll check it out and see what they're paying. It's pretty upscale and seems like they have gratuities.

My job starts on 2nd November, $13 per hour, 40 hours a week. Not great, but at least it's enough to cover rent, bills, groceries etc. meaning whatever my wife makes is bonus cash we can put into savings or for the occasional bottle of wine and takeout for a date night.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Good news everyone!

My wife has been doing really well at work and we now have around $1700 to cover our $1300 in bills, I also got a tax rebate from the United Kingdom so I have another $300 available in the massive overdraft in my British account, which I use as free money since they don't know where I live in the states and the interest is really low. With any luck I should be able to pay off my $160 credit card debt by the 14th too, since my job starts tomorrow.

It's looking like $2000 might have been a low estimate for what my wife can pull in a good month. Hopefully with us both working we can start to really get some savings going.

• Locked thread