Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

Australia will not be signing a communique at the Paris climate summit about phasing out fossil fuel subsidies.

Nationals MPs and senators were concerned the pledge could affect the multi-billion-dollar diesel fuel rebate for farmers and miners.

The communique is due to be presented tonight, but a Federal Government source has told the ABC Australia will not be signing it.

"Hooray," Nationals deputy leader Barnaby Joyce said when told the news on Radio National.

"It just goes to show what a successful political unit the National Party is and I want all your listeners to know that.

"It's a win for common sense and the National Party."

Industries such as agriculture, fishing and forestry can access a rebate on the diesel excise paid.

The fossil-fuel subsidy reform communique encourages countries to phase out subsidies to help limit global warming to 2 degrees Celsius.

The Nationals argued the fuel rebate was not a subsidy.

"There's a tax that goes on your road usage, now if you're not on a public road why should you pay a tax on road usage?" Senator Joyce asked.

"When you plant a crop you don't plant it in the middle of the M1, when you're out working with cattle you're not out on the Cahill Expressway.

"The same thing goes with mining vehicles they're in a mine they're not on a public road."

Earlier on Monday, Queensland Liberal-National MP George Christensen urged the Government not to sign the communique.

"To sign this is madness. It will cost jobs & give greens ammo to attack coal further," Mr Christensen said on Twitter.

The Government initially sought to downplay concerns the statement would affect the rebate.

Acting Prime Minister Warren Truss said nothing out of the Paris talks would have "any impact" on the scheme.

But after considering the matter, the Government has decided not to sign the document at all.
All of which only works if the money taken in fuel excise is actually spent on roads/transport infrastructure :roflolmao:

Why so many people touching the poop :psyduck:

If nobody else does the xmas month thread. I'll do it. It won't be pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Replace the fuel excise with congestion pricing :getin:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Cartoon posted:

All of which only works if the money taken in fuel excise is actually spent on roads/transport infrastructure :roflolmao:

Why so many people touching the poop :psyduck:

If nobody else does the xmas month thread. I'll do it. It won't be pretty.

i think you're pretty

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Merry Shitmas

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Skellybones posted:

Merry Shitmas
Well thanks for excluding all the muslims, jews, athiests, budhists, doaist etc. from your insensitive greeting. gently caress You!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's OK to talk about how completely inappropriate it is that Christmas is a public holiday now that it's December, right?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
James Ashby’s diary admission: Wyatt Roy told me to do it

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/james-ashbys-diary-admission-wyatt-roy-told-me-to-do-it/story-fn59niix-1227628798013

quote:

Peter Slipper’s staffer James Ashby says he contacted police yesterday to formally agree to be interviewed about alleged illegal copying of his former boss’s ­diaries in a bid to clear MP Mal Brough.
Two weeks after Australian Federal Police officers raided the homes or offices of Mr Ashby, Mr Brough and another former staffer, Karen Doane, the former political adviser said he had proof the newly elevated Minister of State was “an innocent’’ in the scandal.
Instead, Mr Ashby said he had a document that would show it was Queensland Liberal MP and frontbencher Wyatt Roy who had told him he should copy the diary of Mr Slipper, the then Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Mr Ashby said he first spoke to Mr Roy in 2012 about his alleged sexual harassment by Mr Slipper and that the then first-term MP had later sought advice from Innovation Minister Christopher Pyne.
“Wyatt said he didn’t really know how to advise me and said he wanted to speak with Christopher Pyne,’’ he said. “He then called me back and I went and saw him in his office and he presented me a sheet of paper with instructions of what I should do, and one of the first steps was to get a copy of the office diary.

“That is how I came to be printing off a copy of the digital diary — it was evidence in my case.’’
Mr Ashby said his lawyers had the sheet of paper and it “would undoubtedly have Wyatt’s fingerprints on it’’.
A spokesman for Mr Roy ­declined to comment, but it is understood he claims only to have told Mr Ashby to “diarise events” if he intended to file any action.

Mr Ashby said Mr Roy had said he did not want any further involvement, and it was then that he approached Mr Brough for help.
“I met with Mal and he said at one stage that he was interested in Slipper’s use of taxpayer entitlements and about a few trips he had taken to New Zealand and I said I had a copy of his diary and would check it out,’’ he said.
“So I went home and pulled the copy of the diary out of my cupboard, took some pictures of the relevant dates and sent them to Mal. He couldn’t read them and texted me and asked if I could send them again — that’s hardly procuring me.’’
Last year Mr Brough told the Nine Network that he had asked Mr Ashby for copies of the MP’s diary in 2012 for his use.

According to the search warrant, Mr Ashby is alleged to have “accessed restricted data’’ without authorisation and communicated the material to a third party between March 23 and April 12, 2012.
Mr Brough is alleged to have “counselled and procured’’ Mr Ashby to access restricted data — contrary to Section 478.1 of the Criminal Code — and to disclose extracts from Mr Slipper’s “official diary’’ without authority — contrary to Section 70 (1) of the Criminal Code — on the same dates. Both offences carry a maximum sentence of two years’ jail.
Mr Ashby last year alleged Mr Pyne and Mr Roy had offered him a lawyer and job security but withdrew the offer before he sued the former Speaker for sexual harassment in April 2012.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

"He asked me why I'd object to Peta's request to sack Niki when I had sacked Glenn Milne [an earlier columnist at The Australian] at Julia Gillard's request. I explained to him that that wasn't what had happened."
It's interesting that he is as divorced from reality in private as he is in public.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jeez, is there going to be any QLD Liberal MP who doesn't get smeared by this?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

A female junior minister sums up the view from inside the government: "There was a disconnect between Peta's stated support of the sisterhood and the sisterhood."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

Jeez, is there going to be any QLD Liberal MP who doesn't get smeared by this?

Only the ones who aren't corrupt :rimshot:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

someone end this thread and make a new one for December. we've just had three pages of people arguing with Negligents one dimensional troll about drugs.

Anidav, keep posting VICE documentaries.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
QLD MPs are all dickheads

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Kommando posted:

someone end this thread and make a new one for December. we've just had three pages of people arguing with Negligents one dimensional troll about drugs.

Anidav, keep posting VICE documentaries.

Yo Japan is hosed up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

katlington posted:

Abbott amd credlin were straight up banging each other, right?

Lol. Just lol.

Todays update

quote:

Why was he prepared to lose power rather than lose Credlin?

It was "a deep co-dependency", says a senior public servant who saw a great deal of Abbott and Credlin together. A common way of explaining their closeness was to put it down to them having an affair.

Some Liberals and even people from outside the party confronted Abbott before the February spill over the affair he was supposed to have been having with Credlin, the least original rumour in Australian politics. They were worried less about the reality than the perception. Some feared that it could cost him the prime ministership, and told him so.

He dismissed it as he always did, as "just bullshit". Abbott consistently refused to dignify what he described privately as "smut" by taking any steps to dispel the gossip. There was always a stream of innuendo, never any evidence.

"Because I'm a male and she's a female, why does it have to be improper?" he said to a confidant. "I think the talk says more about the colleagues than it says about Credlin and me." He described Credlin and her husband, Brian Loughnane, as both very good friends of his.

Another said: "He would sometimes become visibly agitated when he was separated from her, if they had to travel in separate cars or even if she didn't emerge from the lift pronto when he was expecting her." It was "the most extreme of these sorts of co-dependency relationships between a prime minister and a chief of staff" according to Professor Walter.

So, still a lot of innuendo and unsubstantiated but the article doesn't outright say it was a falsehood or a smear.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Imagine Tony Abbott's cum face

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUNEsSdy_g

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Negligent posted:

Imagine Tony Abbott's cum face

Quite probably the same as Agent Smith after absorbing the Oracle.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

ssmagus posted:

After waking up, I feel well enough to go now, just with a very course voice.

No shouting games like the Resistance for you then. More like games where we stare menacingly at each other like Sheriff of Nottingham.

Come say hello to me when you arrive. I'll be the Board Game Helper with short hair and glasses.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Goodbye November, hello December.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

DECEMBER THREAD

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3753906

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

oh gently caress me

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
TWO THREADS ENTER, ONE THREAD LEAVES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
I don't know what to do but I'm excited that I was alive for this moment in time.

• Locked thread