Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Well, GenCon was a fair bit of fun, for sure. Scored a couple insane deals at the auction house (original L5R art for $75 and a complete gen 1 Maze Master Dwarven Forge set in an aluminum case for $160), spent a lot at the charity auction (but still not as much as Mike... again), sold some art, bought a bunch of very expensive cardboard, sold some of said cardboard, ate a lot of food. All in all, a good year.

TOVA was a loving blast as always, and I look forward to hopefully helping the auction next year better handle art and also using my connections with artists to drum up even more donations. Excellent work as always, Quarex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Maigius posted:

I found the hallway of my dreams! I even walked through it getting my vaccine check.

that's where one of the good restrooms is since it has low traffic

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Gen Con 2022 is over and it was a great time as always, though also the most difficult Gen Con I have ever done. I don’t recommend doing Gen Con in a walking boot if you can help it, especially if you are spending hours a day doing demos in a booth, but its better than not attending Gen Con I guess.

Our booth did fine. Sales wern’t as good as I was hoping they would be but we should have at least broke even which is fine. What I get for bringing a really niche game to the convention to sell. The crowds were definitely better this year than last year as a vendor’s perspective. Felt much more like a normal year.

The masking and stuff was all fine by me, and it seemed like most people did ok with it. I was a little annoyed with the wrestling booth across the way from us as some of their staff just didn’t even have masks for several hours of the day. Most people I saw walking by were fine, though on Sunday in particular I saw a few people that just seemed to not even have masks or were wearing the very not approved plastic face shield type coverings.

I was able to do 1 painting class, which was good though probably not totally worth the $32 I paid for it. Got to play a couple of Star Gate games with nephews, and I was even able to attend a goon function for about an hour on Saturday! I did not get a chance to get to the auction or the consignment store even once which made me sad. I hope I didn’t miss out anything good in the crème de la crème auction section on Friday.

Here’s to hoping Gen Con 2023 will be even better! I will not have a booth next year so it should be a much more normal Gen Con for me and I’ll hopefully be able to make more goon activities again like I used to do pre-2018.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
After two years away from Gen Con, it was extremely comforting to wander by and see ol' Quarex at the ol' podium

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pvt. Public posted:

Well, GenCon was a fair bit of fun, for sure. Scored a couple insane deals at the auction house (original L5R art for $75 and a complete gen 1 Maze Master Dwarven Forge set in an aluminum case for $160), spent a lot at the charity auction (but still not as much as Mike... again), sold some art, bought a bunch of very expensive cardboard, sold some of said cardboard, ate a lot of food. All in all, a good year.

TOVA was a loving blast as always, and I look forward to hopefully helping the auction next year better handle art and also using my connections with artists to drum up even more donations. Excellent work as always, Quarex.
There is a plan brewing to outbid Mike on something next year, though I would want no part of it as it seems like he would rather die than be outbid (though he did let Determined Lady win the Gen-Con backdrop wall piece, so his thirst likely outpaces his bravado)

Thank you for loving Pupkin/T.O.V.A.! I am sure we could use more help with whatever you could offer, particularly as more art in the Charity Auction would be a cool thing, especially if it meant slightly less art in T.O.V.A.!

Speaking of T.O.V.A., thanks to you and everyone else who said nice things about it to me; it was at least as good as it has been in some previous years, so fortunately my concern over them rejecting things was just a sign that we should make sure our funny things have better connections to gaming going forward. Also for all I know they might accept things per usual again next year anyway, meaning my 1999 Denny's menu still might make an appearance someday. But yeah, I will definitely keep auctioneering, especially since this year due to not as many volunteers as usual I apparently became one of two default "slightly zany to offset the Gravitas Guys" auctioneers (Nathaniel being the other).

nesbit37 posted:

Most people I saw walking by were fine, though on Sunday in particular I saw a few people that just seemed to not even have masks or were wearing the very not approved plastic face shield type coverings.

Here’s to hoping Gen Con 2023 will be even better! I will not have a booth next year so it should be a much more normal Gen Con for me and I’ll hopefully be able to make more goon activities again like I used to do pre-2018.
I saw a dude in a cosplay outfit on Thursday who I am pretty sure was Dr. Evil, and he was face shield only, which (appropriate aesthetics aside) I was like "sorry, why are they letting him wear this again?"

Definitely stoked for you to return to the Goonfold more fully next year; we can reenact, what was it, 2014, when we met up at Colts Grille trivia thinking we were the only Goons who showed and then 15 minutes before it ends realize the big table across the room of loud nerds was the rest of the Goons after all

Trustworthy posted:

After two years away from Gen Con, it was extremely comforting to wander by and see ol' Quarex at the ol' podium
WELCOME BACK TRUSTWORTHY!!! I was up there longer than ever before this year, so I am glad to have served this vital role

Also yes if anyone was wondering, I am not going to sign up to be on stage from 3 P.M. to 1 A.M. next year. That was uh, yeah. Pretty cool that I apparently never lose my voice no matter how long I talk, but the people who stuck around deep into Charity Auction can certainly vouch that I was on a downward swing by like hour 7 of auctioneering. "From Asmadi, we have thecgkh, fne...... it is a game. $10"

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Hoping next year will be mask free. Skipped this year just because it didn't sound like fun rocking a mask for 4 days straight. Probably helped with the gen crud though.

Hoping masks and vaxx requirements are in place while COVID is around. And honestly, every year until the end of time.

That said, there were a few people with weak voices I played with in noisy atmospheres and I felt bad for them not being able to communicate well.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Can confirm that run from just before TOVA started to the end was quite heroic, but you were definitely starting to lose steam around 10:30 or 11, which is about the time the crowd started thinning (though most of that is due to Cardhalla's closing ceremony). Also, it was good to see Jim run a long stretch but there were a couple times where he got slightly annoyed with various things (especially that one really insistent guy who snap bid on some item and seemed kinda mad about it), which is definitely understandable. The daughter presence during TOVA was once again an amazing addition and just made the whole time slot that much more enjoyable. That kid has future sassy auctioneer written all over her.

As for Mike, I've got an idea on some shenanigans to see just how far he'll go on a couple items I have that I think he'll be very reluctant to be outbid on, and then bid against him just for a laugh. But yes, it was quite heartening to see Determined Lady and he square off and get those banners up to a price they deserved. Had I room for them I was considering going in on them, but I'm already out of space as it is and have about 100 art pieces that I can't hang. I just need to open a loving gallery or something at this point.

And I'm glad there weren't too many charity items I felt forced to bid on because they were too low. That AoS Dominion box was pretty disappointing, as I figured $100 would get to one other person and me and I could let it ride a bit, but when no one stayed in I just couldn't in good conscience let it go below retail (hell, $100 is below wholesale cost). I do wish the henna gift card would have at least brought the card value of $15, but at that late point in the night people were dragging and the bids reflected that. I'm still not sure why those lifetime VTT memberships weren't auctioned separately from each other, but again, late in the night you just gotta get to a finish.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pvt. Public posted:

Can confirm that run from just before TOVA started to the end was quite heroic, but you were definitely starting to lose steam around 10:30 or 11, which is about the time the crowd started thinning (though most of that is due to Cardhalla's closing ceremony). Also, it was good to see Jim run a long stretch but there were a couple times where he got slightly annoyed with various things (especially that one really insistent guy who snap bid on some item and seemed kinda mad about it), which is definitely understandable. The daughter presence during TOVA was once again an amazing addition and just made the whole time slot that much more enjoyable. That kid has future sassy auctioneer written all over her.
I was convinced I was going to be fine until yeah suddenly I was like "oh wow, no, I totally am not" and fortunately that was right when I had to make a phone call and Bill Meinhardt stopped me on my way back in and was like "dude, take more than a 2-minute break, it's fine" and I ate what can only be described as the world's most delicious Arby's roast beef sandwich and hung out watching for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile Caroline had dutifully been told "he'll literally be gone for 2 minutes!" and so her increasing annoyance on the microphone was surely legitimate. Gen-Con!!!

Jim's occasional random grumpiness is definitely an integral part of his auctioneering at this point. And yeah, I told Josh they are clearly a tandem act until such time as she strikes him down and takes over

Pvt. Public posted:

As for Mike, I've got an idea on some shenanigans to see just how far he'll go on a couple items I have that I think he'll be very reluctant to be outbid on, and then bid against him just for a laugh. But yes, it was quite heartening to see Determined Lady and he square off and get those banners up to a price they deserved. Had I room for them I was considering going in on them, but I'm already out of space as it is and have about 100 art pieces that I can't hang. I just need to open a loving gallery or something at this point.

And I'm glad there weren't too many charity items I felt forced to bid on because they were too low. That AoS Dominion box was pretty disappointing, as I figured $100 would get to one other person and me and I could let it ride a bit, but when no one stayed in I just couldn't in good conscience let it go below retail (hell, $100 is below wholesale cost). I do wish the henna gift card would have at least brought the card value of $15, but at that late point in the night people were dragging and the bids reflected that. I'm still not sure why those lifetime VTT memberships weren't auctioned separately from each other, but again, late in the night you just gotta get to a finish.
I understand you about the backdrop thinking. And I guess the gallery part, too. I do not have enough actual original art for a gallery (well not more than a room anyway) but the most accurate thing my ex- ever said to me was that I had enough decorations to fill a bigger house than I would ever want to live in anyway, so I basically stopped buying art entirely about 5 years ago. Oh no, maybe I will end up being one of the problems next year when I try to sell a bunch of it???

The lifetime memberships definitely blindsided me, as what I saw when looking at the item was a weird random code written down and a few other things with lines through them. I thought the things with lines through them were, like, used codes that had been purchased before, but I guess it was just to keep them from being easily read from afar? Certainly a victim of the huge amount of charity stuff we were given this year. I forgot the exact number, but it was something like $31,500 we pulled in this year from the Charity Auction, and I do not remember previous totals very well but that certainly is not, like, tiny!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Fours days out, still testing negative for COVID. Huzzah! \o/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yup two negatives here despite some sinus pressure and sniffles Sunday afternoon. I haven't heard of any goons popping positive which is honestly better than I would have ever imagined given increased crowds and the variants out there this year vs last year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I saw a few people saying that they saw tons of people not masking in the convention center but I only spotted three the entire con (and all of them on Sunday) and like two vendors with those lovely plastic face shields.

Now, outside spaces and restaurants were a different story.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yeah, I didn’t see a ton of massless faceless though it happened. Especially with a few people milking the fact they had a coffee in their hand. Sunday was the worst mask day by far.

Zalmun
Jan 17, 2008

It'sa me!

Nap Ghost
Only 1 (out of 6) in my friend group got sick after he got home. The rest of us have been fine and tested negative multiple times. I'd say we did ok.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
The only mask foul I saw was a dude in the consignment store without a mask at all, which is pretty bold since food and drinks aren't allowed in there.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Within the dozen people I was around most of the time at the convention, none of us have gotten ill. I've taken 3 tests since then, the latest tonight, and all negative.

The only times I really saw people definitely not masking, and not just momentarily removing it to eat, drink, or deal with something, were the locals on Sunday who came in with their kids and even then it was only a handful out of tens of thousands and I did not see what happened when they tried to enter the dealer's hall. The staff at the dealer's hall were very attentive and I would even say confrontational about it and etiquette so they could check wristbands, which is a plus in my book. I went and saw Ken and Robin talk about stuff and the speakers at the panel weren't wearing masks but they were at least 12' away from the front row in a well ventilated space. Everyone else was wearing masks and they all put them on after they were done since they were recording a podcast episode.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I did a lot of thinking and making mental notes about masking and the vax policy over the weekend.

Here's what I saw:

1. Around 75-80% of people were properly wearing appropriate masks inside the ICC. About 15-20% were some combination of shield/gaiter/etc. or wearing their mask improperly for significant amounts of time. Roughly 3-5% were either totally unmasked or unmasked for significant portions of time in close proximity to others.
  2. Outside the ICC, all bets were off. There was 0% effective enforcement in hotels, even in GenCon areas.
  3. I did not wear a wristband at any point. I picked mine up Wednesday night, but never wore it.
  4. The ONLY time I was asked about my wristband was entering Hall C/D. Not at any events, not at the Dealer's Hall. Not at the VIG lounge.
  5. I would produce the wristband on asking, and then put it back in my pocket. Nobody even suggested I wear it.
  6. I was personally uncomfortable with the number of unmasked, unprotected infants on-site too young to have been vaccinated, and honestly, too vulnerable in my mind to be present. Literally dozens spotted throughout the course of the weekend.
  7. We took about 10 ubers/lyfts over the weekend and only 1 driver to my recollection was masked.

Someone brought up to me that the mask/vax mandate kept out the low-hanging fruit, and that was probably enough to keep risks at an acceptable level, and I can see the point, but again, I was most upset about the infants.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Toshimo posted:

I did a lot of thinking and making mental notes about masking and the vax policy over the weekend.

Here's what I saw:

1. Around 75-80% of people were properly wearing appropriate masks inside the ICC. About 15-20% were some combination of shield/gaiter/etc. or wearing their mask improperly for significant amounts of time. Roughly 3-5% were either totally unmasked or unmasked for significant portions of time in close proximity to others.
  2. Outside the ICC, all bets were off. There was 0% effective enforcement in hotels, even in GenCon areas.
  3. I did not wear a wristband at any point. I picked mine up Wednesday night, but never wore it.
  4. The ONLY time I was asked about my wristband was entering Hall C/D. Not at any events, not at the Dealer's Hall. Not at the VIG lounge.
  5. I would produce the wristband on asking, and then put it back in my pocket. Nobody even suggested I wear it.
  6. I was personally uncomfortable with the number of unmasked, unprotected infants on-site too young to have been vaccinated, and honestly, too vulnerable in my mind to be present. Literally dozens spotted throughout the course of the weekend.
  7. We took about 10 ubers/lyfts over the weekend and only 1 driver to my recollection was masked.

Someone brought up to me that the mask/vax mandate kept out the low-hanging fruit, and that was probably enough to keep risks at an acceptable level, and I can see the point, but again, I was most upset about the infants.

Out of curiosity, where were you spending your time? I'd say that in ICC spaces I personally saw no more than about 1% not properly wearing their mask at any given time. I was super aware of it when I saw it, so it really stood out to me. I did do a lot of RPGs, so I was pretty sequestered for long periods of time, but I still spent at least about 5-6 hours over the weekend in places like the Exhibit Hall. I did of course see people briefly raise/lower their mask to take a drink or the like. And some of that 1% seemed to be "trying" to wear their mask but it was ill fitted and they were constantly raising their mask back over their nose.

Outside of the ICC it was definitely hit or miss. In the JW, I would often walk by the Starbucks area on my way into the ICC and see almost no one masked. And out in the city it was definitely an outlier to see anyone wearing a mask at all.

I was with someone wearing long sleeves and they were asked to show their wristband quite often. But everything around that process was flawed, so not super shocked if you somehow escaped unscathed.

It does seem to have done a decent job since no more than a few sporadic cases of covid seem to have popped up, it seems to not have spread in any significant way.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I remember how impressive it was that every time we made the "wear your drat mask" announcements in the Auction it actually seemed to work. Even Keeper of Ancient Gen-Con Lore, who it seemed like was going to be a jerk as the first time we mentioned it he just held up his drink, then put his mask on and I never saw him sitting without it on again.

Definitely wondering about whoever that was not wearing a mask in the Consignment Store though. I did not see that, but clearly the minders over there were spacing out to let that one past.

I find it hard to imagine why the pandemic would be much better next year, but I suppose that would be nice if masks were a relic of a former age.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was in the Marriott and they were on people like hawks in the free play rooms.

The only time I really wanted to ditch the mask was in the play hall when we were demoing games. There’s just so much other noise in there that we were constantly having to repeat stuff to each other.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

A lady I gamed with brought a lapel mic and a small speaker. If they have the mask policy again next year I'm considering doing the same thing.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have some hearing loss but was never really in a mask situation where I couldn't power through it until gencon. Not being able to see lips to make up the little missing bit really sucked and was frustrating, so I'm ready for a maskless GenCon hopefully soon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

8one6 posted:

A lady I gamed with brought a lapel mic and a small speaker. If they have the mask policy again next year I'm considering doing the same thing.

At least one of the people demoing games at a booth had this too.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
lol just lol if you thought anyone in Indy outside of the con still cares about or wears masks

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Carteret posted:

I have some hearing loss but was never really in a mask situation where I couldn't power through it until gencon. Not being able to see lips to make up the little missing bit really sucked and was frustrating, so I'm ready for a maskless GenCon hopefully soon.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat and a soft spoken GM was a big obstacle for me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This truly would have been the year me putting the voice-changer/amplifier into T.O.V.A. would have resulted in it going for even more than it did before.

Well except they would probably not have accepted it in in the live auction section this year

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

8one6 posted:

If you do this make REALLY SURE you have it on a push to talk switch if you mutter under your breath at all. Lotta people get got by the ol' spicy hot mic.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Toshimo posted:

my belief here is definitely that the requirements kept those types most likely to go to gen con w/ covid, and turn into spreaders, out of it. i didn't pay too close attention to who was/wasn't masking around it, it seemed like it was the great majority to me? No sicknesses here on for the folks i went with

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Gencon forums are newly alive with cries of 'You'll regret this!' w/r/t mask and vax policies so that's fun.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

BlackIronHeart posted:

The Gencon forums are newly alive with cries of 'You'll regret this!' w/r/t mask and vax policies so that's fun.
It is so hilarious to see the exact same posts from the last two years made this year as though they are any more relevant than before

"WELL all of the people I KNOW are not coming if they require masks or vaccines!"
"O.K. they will not be missed"

Also, oh hey, 2023 huh, a new thread sounds like a good weekend project for me since I was unable to get to MAGFest this week despite my best hopes!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Gen Con already asked the vendors what their thoughts were on masks and vax. I have a feeling whatever Gen Con goes with is going to be close to whatever the vendors answered on that survey they sent out, barring a huge uptick in danger and any legal threat to Gen Con.

Yay for a new thread! It is getting to be that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
BANG ZOOM!!!!!!!!!!