Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
DATELINE: JANUARY, THE FUTURE YEAR 2020

NOTHING BUT GREAT THINGS TO COME

TIME TO GET EXCITED ONCE AGAIN FOR...

code:
   ______  ________  ____  _____       ______    ___   ____  _____  
 .' ___  ||_   __  ||_   \|_   _|    .' ___  | .'   `.|_   \|_   _| 
/ .'   \_|  | |_ \_|  |   \ | |     / .'   \_|/  .-.  \ |   \ | |   
| |   ____  |  _| _   | |\ \| |     | |       | |   | | | |\ \| |   
\ `.___]  |_| |__/ | _| |_\   |_    \ `.___.'\\  `-'  /_| |_\   |_  
 `._____.'|________||_____|\____|    `.____ .' `.___.'|_____|\____| 
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints' General Conference! Who else is excited for a full weekend of PRAISE and GOD or WHATEVER IT IS?!?!

:siren: GEN CON INDY 2022: THE 55TH ANNUAL BEST EVENT EVER :siren:

WHEN IS IT? August 4 - 7, 2022

(though things are already in unofficial full swing on the 3rd [so double-though getting in the evening of the 2nd is pretty common {and thus triple-though I will try to arrive the 1st to not miss ANYTHING}])

WHO IS IT? Is it a friend of miiiine? Who is it? Is it my brooooothaaaaa? Who is it?

WHAT IS IT? The best annual event. Just the best. More at the end of this stupid section.

WHERE IS IT? Indiana Convention Center, Downtown Indianapolis, Indiana!

WHY IS IT? Depending on which way you are approaching this question, either because their finances are not stable enough to miss another year so soon after 2020, or because nerds absolutely love traditions and this one is not going away without a fight.

HOW IS IT? We are here on this path we walk? In this world of pointless fear, filled with empty talk?

WHY IS IT? BECAUSE DESPITE THE ENDLESS CYCLOPEAN HORRORS OF THE PAST TWO YEARS WE STILL WANT TO BELIEVE JOY IS POSSIBLE

SO YES, Gen Con Indy is the best. Just absolutely the best. I cannot state enough how much I believe this.

Even last year, when it was basically reduced to Glorified Origins in that the only things to do were shop and game, it was STILL THE BEST (1973). It brings together such a profound mass of nerdy humanity that absolutely anything you are interested in is probably going to be represented there in some substantial way. Tabletop games, from childhood favorites like The Campaign for North Africa to adult classics like Don't Wake Daddy, are well-represented, as are all manner of card-collecting-trading-building-clicking-falling-hurting-suing games to suit whatever your absurd and sick twisted fantasy. Role-playing? Yes, that is a thing. Also is there, is it. There. Paizo? I do not know. Paizo, maybe. Sure. Even last year there were like 3,000 role-playing events, and usually there are more like 7,000.

IT IS PURELY ABSURD how much is going on every year. You would have to Groundhog Day so hard to actually experience everything Gen-Con has to offer every year, and 2022 should be largely a return to previous form (though the Auction's status remains in doubt).

Astoundingly, event submission has ALREADY STARTED, on JANUARY 9! Early submission goes through FEBRUARY 13, and general submission closes MARCH 13 until ~late June.

Badge registration starts JANUARY 30 and I will change that link to be the actual page once it is open. Apparently for both VIGs and the rest of you absolutely ordinary riff-raff. I have not seen this written anywhere, but considering the VIGs have until 11:59 A.M. ON FEBRUARY 13 to reserve their hotel rooms before they are released to the public, I suspect that means the housing lottery starts at NOON ON FEBRUARY 13.

Event registration is MAY 15! I wish NUMBERS had CAPITAL VERSIONS fake edit: oh no they actually do

LET US CONCLUDE THE FIRST POST with Nelly's playlist of her greatest "what am Gens-Con" videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO4UTJgAFzU

Oh apparently YouTube is too dumb to let you link to the first video of a playlist as a video so uhh here is the actual playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9T6PBiRzuhbuEdq66SwEtPhTQkEBxBCZ

=-=-=
:siren: ALL PRAISE TO ADMIRAL JOESLOP :siren:
=-=-=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

My usual list of "things to do" has started seeming so pointless when like 75% of the places I might have recommended to go eat over the past decade have closed over the past few years. Harry & Izzy's is still seemingly the go-to place for good food at a place that is usually actually possible to get a seat at despite its proximity to the Convention Center, and beyond that YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN

That said, THINGS TO BRING IN YOUR ADVENTURE KIT thus seem more relevant than ever, so here is a constantly-updated curated list of things you may well want to pack for the journey:
  • Nonperishable food for lunch-skipping purposes: granola bars, jerky, peanut-butter-esque sandwiches/crackers, 17-course Michelin-star dinners, raisins, or other "Googies" as Mom's aphasia put it
  • A picnic basket; just EMPTY YOUR PACKET DRAWER INTO IT, YOU KNOW THE DRAWER.
  • I bought a wheeled cooler last year and by bringing it with actually good stuff inside it may have paid for itself in reducing my temptation to get take-out twice a day
  • Dice
  • Chargers for what ails ya (phone, laptop, tablet, tableau, plateau, mesa, fjord)
  • Batteries, failing to remember your chargers
  • iGizmos/Phones/Pacemakers/Whatever
  • Hand sanitizer IS MORE IMPORTANT EVERY YEAR WOW
  • Notepads(tm) (hey, I take notes on my phone too, but sometimes paper comes up)
  • Pens, pencils, black AND silver/metallic(!) Sharpies for autographs on light or dark surfaces(!!!)
  • Meds/painkillers/bandages/black market insulin/Zombrex/Ivermectin/LITERAL URINE
  • Insoles or gel inserts or foam blocks to walk on or whatever
  • Collapsible/lightweight water bottle With flavored beverage pouches
  • TRAVEL CUTLERY KIT!!!!! or at least some disposable silverware you have probably been hoarding anyway
  • ONE Protein Bars (Maple Glazed Donut tastes the most like its claimed flavor of anything I have ever eaten)
  • Quest Nutrition Bars (Their HERO line is amazing; Blueberry Cobbler is MY JAM)
  • THINK! Lemon Delight bars (obviously only if you are into Lemon Sugar Things like I am but their other flavors are fine too in my experience)
  • GUM?

(I have been sampling dozens of different brands of energy bars and other various ON-THE-GO-SNACKS for the past year, and constructing bullet list is honestly part of why)

THE ONLY OTHER SECTION WE NEED HERE is the sort of general "you might not have thought of this" section, even though of course most of us have already been and thought of these things:
  • You will probably end up walking at least 5 miles a day at the convention. If you are not used to walking, oh boy, this will suck. I still remember my feet feeling like they were on fire by Sunday my first year.
  • It gets less pertinent every year, but BRINGING CASH will still potentially save you some money, especially if you buy things from the Auction or any of the other few vendors where they add credit card fees to the total if you pay with cards. Plus even in the era of Venmo, CashApp, and Heroinstr it is sometimes hugely helpful to be able to toss your share of the cost of dinner down and run to your next event
  • Also your cards may well be locked for fraud when you purchase things from vendors located on three different parts of the country in a span of ten minutes, so you might need to tell them you are travelling.
  • Some variant of the 5/3/1 or 6/2/1 or whatever rule, where you have to sleep 5/6 hours, eat 2/3 meals, and take 1/1 showers every day in order to stay sane and keep those around you sane. I usually skip lunch and just stuff myself with granola bars to avoid spending 90 minutes in line at a food truck missing valuable Exhibit Hall time
  • If you are the kind of person who ever gets cold in air-conditioned spaces, you will need to be prepared for that. During the day it is usually a little warm in the convention center, but both at hotels and in the evenings when the herds thin out and the air conditioning can actually keep up, it can be a little cold, sure. SURE.

I am not linking random Gen-Con articles and social media, Nesbit37 and I are the only ones who care about that anyway and now he is doing it professionally so it is all good

OH HERE IS THE DISCORD SERVER WE USE AND I AM NOT AT ALL CONFLICTED ABOUT IT SLOWLY STEALING THIS THREAD'S THUNDER, NOPE

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

In this potentially reservedish third post, here are all the previous iterations of this, or similar, threads:

Archives needed:
Gen Con Indy 2003 Forgotten Goon Meets Thread: Whydirt Kicks Us Off! Also mentions a deleted? previous thread from that year; can moderators see those threads?: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=278795452
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt~ #1: Please Sir, Please Help Me Obtain A Hotel Room
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt #2: Hero Lab Seriously Existed In 2003?
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #1: Rhandhali Tries
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #2: A Second Rhandhali Post Has Hit The Forums
Gen Con Indy 2004: Actually Just A Thread About An NPR Story On Gen Con
Gen Con SO CAL(!) 2004: This Does Not Mean It Was Real!
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #1: Space Pope, Over And Out
Gen Con Indy 2005 Computer Game Interview Request Thread In Games Proper: Ends With A Milwaukeean's Lament
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #2: Three. Posts.
Gen Con Indy 2005: ANOTHER Goon Meets thread I missed before!
Gen Con Indy 2006: Vaguely Resembling A Successful Thread
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kind Of: Quarex Seeks to Understand the Differences Between Gen Con, Origins, and DragonCon Like Some Pathetic Churl
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kind Of, Redux: Seorin Wants Spoilers
Gen Con Indy 2008: Truly The Saddest Official Thread Ever
Gen Con Paris 2009: Did Not Actually Happen
Gen Con Indy 2009: Perhaps The Third-Saddest Official Thread
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #1: Title Mocking Indiana, Thread Bad
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #2: Title Also Mocking Indiana, Thread Also Bad; Coincidence?
Gen Con Indy 2011 Just Posts About A D&D Tournament There, Really
Gen Con Indy 2012: Indianapolis Utterly Destroyed By Great Chicago Fire of 1871
Gen Con Indy 2013: Gen Con Relocates To Pyongyang For Better Downtown Hotel Coverage

Archives no longer needed:
Gen Con Indy 2014: The Final Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2015 and Gen Con 2015 Part Two: 2016: The Final Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2017: Celebrating 50 Glorious Years Of Final Chapters
Gen Con Indy 2018: Gen Con Indy Final: The Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2019: Includes a brief history of Gen Con in the first post, if you are into that kind of thing
Gen Con Indy 2020: The Less Said The Better
Gen Con Indy 2021: Seriously This JUST Happened Though; Like, I Still Have Not Unpacked My Game Bag

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Hello all goons may I wish you a happy new thread and pass this blessing onto you:

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Definitely putting in the auction a "Time travel's kit for going to circa 1998". It'll contain 2 AOL demo CDs, a MapQuest CD, a couple of tapes including Led Zeppelin 4, and two beanie babies.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I can't believe you actually did it :allears:

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Looking forward to 2022! 2021 was a blast even with (or maybe because of?) less people. Very happy that they decided on the vax mandate this year. Also I look forward to the day when pre-pandemic crowd pics don’t give me a little anxiety.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I brought sandwich materials last year, and it collectively saved us well over $100. Cured meats like salami are more resistant to microbial growth than non-cured meats, just fyi.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I brought sandwich materials last year, and it collectively saved us well over $100. Cured meats like salami are more resistant to microbial growth than non-cured meats, just fyi.

With a name like that I have to trust you

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Long live the annual Gen Con thread!!!!

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Quarex, wtf.

TOVA?!?!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

there are 52 wednesdays in 2022

and i only know one you should care about

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Is it Sober Wednesday ?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Personal aside to Magius: That should definitely go over well. Though I bet you can find even more absurd things to potentially add in all this time we have to go

Agrias120 posted:

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GEN-CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Liner posted:

With a name like that I have to trust you
I was going to say, that is a name/post combo even I have to mention

My story is that I brought like three pre-made salads, and between being able to transport them safely for a six-hour drive and then actually having enough room for everyone's leftovers for a change, bringing a picnic-baskety-cooler definitely improved my experience. Though if you stay at the Homewood Suites or a similar "full kitchen" place that would certainly work too

Carteret posted:

Quarex, wtf.

TOVA?!?!
It is too heartbreaking to preemptively hype up something that might not happen the third year in a row :smith: BUT YOU BET I will make a whole-rear end Auction Hype Post if we get the good news

We learned the Dark Secret recently that the Auction tried to do a store-only approach last year, but Gen-Con wanted a full Charity Auction if we were there. Hard to say if they will be more accommodating this year, or if conditions will just be more favorable to having the normal Auction anyway this year. Or if I have a weird-rear end second year in a row actually having free time for playing games at a gaming convention

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've been on a Gen Con hunger strike since Primanti Bros closed.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Will i make gen con this year?

Will I change quarex’s avatar this year??

Will gencon finally refund my 2021 badge if I send them a(nother) nasty email???

TOVA????

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Fellis posted:

Will i make gen con this year?

Will I change quarex’s avatar this year??

Will gencon finally refund my 2021 badge if I send them a(nother) nasty email???

TOVA????

YES
YES
NO
TOVA!!!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

This is the avatar Quarex needs

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Never been before and don't post much, but goin' this year.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Bruxism posted:

Welcome! Be sure to ask any and all questions because talking about Gencon is the next best thing to being at Gencon.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yes, just post. I live for the Gen Con thread.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Bruxism posted:

fly in Wednesday

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Bruxism posted:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
NINE MINUTES TO BADGETIME

Also welcome Bruxism, agreed that posting here is basically the closest you can come to salvation when the convention is not in session

(I am probably coming in Monday this year again given my Gen Con Baby's birthday is that Sunday so I am definitely not staying late)

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
I can't decide if I'm going or not what with the pandemic unfortunately. It sounds like last year was pretty safe though?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

GEEENNNNNNNNNN COOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Badge and rooms acquired!

8one6 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 30, 2022

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Radio Free Walrus posted:

I can't decide if I'm going or not what with the pandemic unfortunately. It sounds like last year was pretty safe though?
YOU GOIN' RFW

Yeah last year there were zero reports after the fact of COVID-19 transmission, unlike a couple of other events. People were taking things very seriously from everything I saw (except the unmasked Colts fans pouring into the Convention Center on Sunday, but they failed in their quest to infect everyone) and I would take that exact masked-gaming experience ten times before I would miss another Gen-Con

(I might pass on an 11th time)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

GET

YO'

BADGE

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Room and 4-day badge booked! Probably will fly in Wednesday unless something comes up. Wouldn't mind meeting some of you weirdos if there is a meetup. Psyched!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Bruxism posted:

Room and 4-day badge booked! Probably will fly in Wednesday unless something comes up. Wouldn't mind meeting some of you weirdos if there is a meetup. Psyched!

Legends speak of a Wednesday.. Consisting of shots..

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah the Gen-Con Goon gang is a grand group of good geezers. Shots Wednesday was quite a bit different last year; only time will tell whether the beer garden will be ruined by having a band in it again, forcing us indoors

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah the Gen-Con Goon gang is a grand group of good geezers. Shots Wednesday was quite a bit different last year; only time will tell whether the beer garden will be ruined by having a band in it again, forcing us indoors

I can't remember if there were bands at past GenCons there or not. If there were there at least wasn't a cover I guess.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah that was kind of a bummer, I always show up late to that and its nice just to be able to drop in at the outside tables.

I just sent an email to Indie Games on Demand seeing if they are planning on gencon 2022. IGoD is my favorite event every year (and the mythical source of beastfucker) and I would love to DM some games for them. I am also down for running some more goon games. CBR+PNK again would be fun, probably with a smaller group this time so we can keep it to one session. Also there is a NEW pamphlet style FiTD game called BLOODSTONE that would be fun to run.

DMing in a mask is definitely not my favorite. Actually considering this super dumb thing just for running games.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ZachAttack posted:

DMing in a mask is definitely not my favorite. Actually considering this super dumb thing just for running games.

I've been strongly considering this dumb thing for Gen Con this year.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

8one6 posted:

Get that and a mocap pattern shirt and you've got yourself a passable mysterio cosplay.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I can't remember if there were bands at past GenCons there or not. If there were there at least wasn't a cover I guess.
I think the one year I actually went to the normal old-style Shots Wednesday there was a random band just setting up as I left, but yeah, no cover was really just as important

I am sure someone thought surely adding a cover would help make up for lost revenue, rather than ensure nobody wants to go outside at all

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

8one6 posted:

That’s like 90% of what you need for a sweet Olimar cosplay. Just wear a onesie and get some pikmin plushies and you’re there.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Bruxism posted:

HELL YEAH WELCOME TO THE GROUP. This is the best thread on SA, the best event in gaming, and despite me not ever once going to a goon event while at Gen Con everyone in this thread is a top notch aces person. You're in good company! Gen Con is fun and you will have fun and be fun at Gen Con.

Pangaea Ultima
Sep 7, 2005

Fun Shoe
Got my badge, got my safety room at that nearby Best Western booked, all that's left to do is count down the waking seconds until August.

Also, re:

ZachAttack posted:

Also there is a NEW pamphlet style FiTD game called BLOODSTONE that would be fun to run.

yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have not actually watched these yet (though I am about to; why not wait to post? Where is the fun in that?), but I am excited there is a possible new contender for "someone putting any effort into Gen-Con YouTube videos"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L241N94ffP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT3o9u5CyQ0