Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
DO WE DARE HOPE TO DREAM? TO GIVE FEALTY TO OUR FANTASIES? TO CONTEMPLATE A WORLD IN WHICH THERE IS ANY CHANCE WE CAN ACTUALLY STAND IN A BIG ROOM FULL OF NERDS ON AUGUST 5-8SEPTEMBER 16-19, 2021?!?!

NO!!! hey I was even right thanks to the date change

BUT DESPITE THAT, HERE IS THE THREAD TO ROLEPLAY THE IMAGINARIUM OF DR. QUAREX AND BELIEVE THAT FAITHLESS COVID-19 ELECTORS WILL THROW THE ELECTION TO THE MASSES ONCE MORE!

this logo is probably going to break the phone version teehee
code:
        GGGGGGGGGGGGG                                                   CCCCCCCCCCCCC                                         222222222222222         000000000      222222222222222      1111111   
     GGG::::::::::::G                                                CCC::::::::::::C                                        2:::::::::::::::22     00:::::::::00   2:::::::::::::::22   1::::::1   
   GG:::::::::::::::G                                              CC:::::::::::::::C                                        2::::::222222:::::2  00:::::::::::::00 2::::::222222:::::2 1:::::::1   
  G:::::GGGGGGGG::::G                                             C:::::CCCCCCCC::::C                                        2222222     2:::::2 0:::::::000:::::::02222222     2:::::2 111:::::1   
 G:::::G       GGGGGG    eeeeeeeeeeee    nnnn  nnnnnnnn          C:::::C       CCCCCC   ooooooooooo   nnnn  nnnnnnnn                     2:::::2 0::::::0   0::::::0            2:::::2    1::::1   
G:::::G                ee::::::::::::ee  n:::nn::::::::nn       C:::::C               oo:::::::::::oo n:::nn::::::::nn                   2:::::2 0:::::0     0:::::0            2:::::2    1::::1   
G:::::G               e::::::eeeee:::::een::::::::::::::nn      C:::::C              o:::::::::::::::on::::::::::::::nn               2222::::2  0:::::0     0:::::0         2222::::2     1::::1   
G:::::G    GGGGGGGGGGe::::::e     e:::::enn:::::::::::::::n     C:::::C              o:::::ooooo:::::onn:::::::::::::::n         22222::::::22   0:::::0 000 0:::::0    22222::::::22      1::::l   
G:::::G    G::::::::Ge:::::::eeeee::::::e  n:::::nnnn:::::n     C:::::C              o::::o     o::::o  n:::::nnnn:::::n       22::::::::222     0:::::0 000 0:::::0  22::::::::222        1::::l   
G:::::G    GGGGG::::Ge:::::::::::::::::e   n::::n    n::::n     C:::::C              o::::o     o::::o  n::::n    n::::n      2:::::22222        0:::::0     0:::::0 2:::::22222           1::::l   
G:::::G        G::::Ge::::::eeeeeeeeeee    n::::n    n::::n     C:::::C              o::::o     o::::o  n::::n    n::::n     2:::::2             0:::::0     0:::::02:::::2                1::::l   
 G:::::G       G::::Ge:::::::e             n::::n    n::::n      C:::::C       CCCCCCo::::o     o::::o  n::::n    n::::n     2:::::2             0::::::0   0::::::02:::::2                1::::l   
  G:::::GGGGGGGG::::Ge::::::::e            n::::n    n::::n       C:::::CCCCCCCC::::Co:::::ooooo:::::o  n::::n    n::::n     2:::::2       2222220:::::::000:::::::02:::::2       222222111::::::111
   GG:::::::::::::::G e::::::::eeeeeeee    n::::n    n::::n        CC:::::::::::::::Co:::::::::::::::o  n::::n    n::::n     2::::::2222222:::::2 00:::::::::::::00 2::::::2222222:::::21::::::::::1
     GGG::::::GGG:::G  ee:::::::::::::e    n::::n    n::::n          CCC::::::::::::C oo:::::::::::oo   n::::n    n::::n     2::::::::::::::::::2   00:::::::::00   2::::::::::::::::::21::::::::::1
        GGGGGG   GGGG    eeeeeeeeeeeeee    nnnnnn    nnnnnn             CCCCCCCCCCCCC   ooooooooooo     nnnnnn    nnnnnn     22222222222222222222     000000000     22222222222222222222111111111111
GEN! CON! GEN! CON! GEN! CON! TO! VA! TO! VA!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:siren: BADGES WENT ON SALE SUNDAY, MAY 23, NOON EASTERN TIME AND THE HOTEL BLOCK OPENED SUNDAY, JUNE 6 :siren:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEHOLD! GEN CON INDY!

Q> WAIT WHAT IS GEN CON THOUGH

A> Well friend, in the convention's own words:

Gen Con Indy posted:

The Home of Tabletop Gaming™

Since 1968, we've been bringing people together to connect over our shared love of tabletop gaming and geek culture.
Well the date and the tabletop gaming is true. But I bet you would have been punched in the face for calling anyone attending in 1968 a "geek," given the infamous pre-digital definition: "a carnival performer whose act usually consists of biting the head off a live chicken or snake."

GEN CON INDY is an absolutely mind-blowing and mind-expanding spectacle, one that resists easy accurate description. Once, Gen Con was just a few dozen quiet men moving tanks and ships around tables. Now it is perhaps better summarized as "75,000 people on the fandom equivalent of a cocaine bender." Or for a more family-friendly metaphor, Nerd Spring Break mixed with Nerd Christmas, Nerd Hanukkah, Nerd Kwanzaa, Nerd Ramadan, Nerd Diwali, and the Nerd Feast of Beltane. Gen Con Indy is Nerdhalla, where the spirits of all the world's nerds gather in eternal feast and miniature-scale battle. Gen Con Indy is Nerdvana, the end of all suffnerding and desire. Nerd nerd, nerd, nerd nerd nerd; nerd nerd nerd nerd nerd.

Tabletop Games! Role-Playing Games! The World's Greatest Auctionoops well not this year drat, have to actually do some gaming instead! Collectible Card Games! Utterly Uncollectable Card Games! Anime! Endless Nerdy Shopping! No Seriously, The Largest Football-Field-Plus-Sized Room Full Of Nerdy Things In All Human History! Furries? Juggalos! O.K. not sure if there are Juggalos! True Dungeon! False Dungeon! Battletech Pods! Tide Pods! Cosplay Of Every Character From Every Media Property Ever Released! Pins! People Complaining About Pins! Hopefully Lou Zocchi! People Unable To Walk Permanently Seated Against Convention Center Walls! Groverlunch! Miniature Painting! Regular-Sized Painting! Live-Action Role-Playing! Clandestine Hookups! A Literal Football Stadium You Can Play Heroclix In! Endless Walking! Tournaments For Games You Have Never Heard Of! One (1) Painting! Every Item On Every Menu Within A 6-Block Radius Renamed As A Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord Of The Rings, Or Bob's Burgers Joke! And EVERY OTHER THING ALSO

Q> WAIT IS IT ACTUALLY HAPPENING THOUGH

A> If Gen Con's official statement is that they are going full steam ahead hoping they can hold the convention in-person, then who am I to refrain from posting a thread about it?

Particularly now that there are multiple viable vaccines, and we even almost have a government again. Yes, I am aware that the usual anti-vaccine crowd combined with the new and improved right-wing death cult crowd might mean that the population is not inoculated enough to matter. BUT I AM NOTHING IF NOT RELENTLESSLY OPTIMISTIC, WHILE ALSO ACKNOWLEDGING THAT THIS MAY BE A FOOL'S ERRAND

THE FOOL'S ERRAND IS A 1987 COMPUTER GAME BY CLIFF JOHNSON

Seriously though, this is even harder to visualize than last year. If we can actually get vaccine production ramped up and distribution figured out, there is a very real chance Gen-Con will go ahead as planned. I would hardly say it is EXTREMELY LIKELY but I definitely think it is more likely than it would have been if things more resembled 2020 at this point.

Gonna try to actually keep each post short enough to potentially read, but I will end with a list of all the previous Gen-Con threads on These Here Forums if anyone wants to go back and reminisce about the good old (and briefly bad old) days. Includes the fruits of my research wondering if perhaps people posted about it in Goon Meets before Traditional Games took off (they did!)

Archives needed:
Gen Con Indy 2003 Forgotten Goon Meets Thread: Whydirt holding strong! Also mentions an, alas, since-deleted? previous thread from that year (can moderators still see those threads?): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=278795452
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt~ #1: Please Sir, Please Help Me Obtain A Hotel Room
Gen Con Indy 2003 Thread Attempt #2: Hero Lab Seriously Existed In 2003?
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #1: Rhandhalized
Gen Con Indy 2004 Thread Attempt #2: A Second Rhandhali Post Has Hit The Forums
Gen Con Indy 2004: Actually Just A Thread About An NPR Story On Gen Con
Gen Con SO CAL(!) 2004: This Does Not Mean It Was Real!
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #1: Space Pope, Over And Out
Gen Con Indy 2005 Computer Game Interview Request Thread In Games Proper: Ends With A Milwaukeean's Lament
Gen Con Indy 2005 Thread Attempt #2: Three. Posts.
Gen Con Indy 2005: ANOTHER Goon Meets thread I missed before!
Gen Con Indy 2006: Vaguely Resembling A Successful Thread
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kind Of: Quarex Seeks to Understand the Differences Between Gen Con, Origins, and DragonCon Like Some Pathetic Churl
Gen Con Indy 2007, Kind Of, Redux: Seorin Wants Spoilers
Gen Con Indy 2008: Truly The Saddest Official Thread Ever
Gen Con Paris 2009: Did Not Actually Happen
Gen Con Indy 2009: Well, They Tried
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #1: Title Mocking Indiana, Thread Bad
Gen Con Indy 2010 Thread Attempt #2: Title Also Mocking Indiana, Thread Also Bad; Coincidence?
Gen Con Indy 2011 More Just A Post About A D&D Tournament There
Gen Con Indy 2012: Indianapolis Utterly Destroyed By Earthquake
Gen Con Indy 2013: Gen Con Relocates To Night City For Better Downtown Hotel Coverage

Archives no longer needed:
Gen Con Indy 2014: The Final Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2015 and Gen Con 2015 Part Two: 2016: The Final Chapter
Gen Con Indy 2017: Celebrating 50 Glorious Years Of Arguing About Imaginary Concepts
Gen Con Indy 2018: Gen Con Indy Proudly Supports Dominion Event Registration Systems
Gen Con Indy 2019: Might Be Technically Still Happening, includes a brief history of Gen Con in the first post if you are into that kind of thing
Gen Con Indy 2020: This Now Being the Past Feels So Good Yet So Wrong

Haha, remember other people?

great "Last Supper" vibes in that last picture especially with hindsight though

Leaving this post comparatively short this year and closing with Nelly's Nerdy Adventures' great "SO YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO GEN-CON BEFORE" video; you are welcome, chooms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVZJ2NiCan8

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Haha, remember crowds

Q> HOW DO I ACTUALLY ATTEND?

A> You buy a badge and show up. Or buy a badge and "show up," depending. That would normally be happening by now, but they are playing things pretty close to the vest this year; they may actually be waiting to see how well the ongoing vaccination program proceeds for the next month before making any announcement.

I think they said they are planning on leaving the price the same this year, likely since I believe they are also rolling over badges from last year if you selected that option?

Q> WHAT AN EVENT??? WHAT DO?? HOW?!!?

A> In most hypeways I am a great person to make these posts, but as far as getting people stoked about specific events is concerned, I am kind of terrible; I average about 1 attended event per year, and that is considering I used to do 2-3 in the past and now basically do zero.

But fortunately some official and unofficial channels have the basics covered:

Pre- and post-pandemic stylin'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6AiO6HDBYo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrR6XcnGTn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySmbygu2wdY

Only other "event" which requires explanation is SHOTS WEDNESDAY. It is largely as it sounds, an excuse to get drunk. It takes place at the Rathskeller, which fortunately is a very good restaurant and thus has plenty of German deliciousness for those of us who do not drink (so yeah, if you are a Sober Sally like me, there will still be plenty to do and a surprising number of other boring sober people to talk to)

Q> HOW, TRULY, DO I FOOD???

A> Well, I am not gonna lie; 2020 itself did a number on Gen-Con dining favorites (R.I.P. Sugarfire Smokehouse, The Ram, Burger Study, Primanti Brothers; possibly Claddagh and Fat Rooster too), accelerating the sudden departure of a few favorites in the previous couple of years too (R.I.P. Haveli, Noodles & Company, Scotty's Brewhouse, BACON LEGS & TURNTABLES, Colts Grille). And I used to list places to eat outside close walking range from the Convention Center but other than the Rathskeller the chances of anyone taking the time to be far away from the convention seems rather minimal, so why bother? Although WOW, Doughnuts and Dragons somehow actually survived the twin strikes of failing to open in time for the 2019 Gen Con and, well, you know, 2020, so clearly they are worth a visit for their resilience alone.

but
anyway
abbreviated
preem
food:
  • Harry & Izzy's, site of our Goon Ceremonial Groverlunch courtesy of Mudcrab Merchant's boundless personal magnetism; related is right next door's
  • St. Elmo Steak House, owned by the same people, and both offering some of the best food around (the main difference being price and whether the waitstaff refills your water instantly)
  • First Watch (I have not been there but apparently it has the FRESHEST INGREDIENTS despite being a chain)
  • Patachou (closes at like 3 P.M., but legitimately amazing quality breakfast/lunch)
  • STEAK 'N' SHAKE BECAUSE I AM FROM NORMAL, ILLINOIS AND I WILL BE PROUD OF OUR HOMETOWN CREATION UNTIL THE DAY I DIE
  • Milktooth, suggested by DJFooBoo as the "head chef is a James Beard award winner who focuses on breakfast/brunch. Holy poo poo you should eat there dumbass!" Thanks ;(

Q< WAT BRING!?!!!!!!

AAAAAA> QUAREX'S ARBITRARY GEN CON RECOMMENDED ADVENTURE KIT:

• Nonperishable food for lunch-skipping purposes: granola bars, jerky, peanut-butter-esque sandwiches/crackers, 17-course Michelin-star dinners, raisins
  • Dice
  • Chargers for what ails ya (phone, laptop, tablet, tableau, plateau, mesa)
  • Batteries, failing to remember your chargers
  • iGizmos/Phones/Pacemakers/Whatever
  • Googies (my Mom's aphasiac word for "snacks to eat on the go")
  • Hand sanitizer IS MORE IMPORTANT EVERY YEAR WOW
  • Notepads(tm) (hey, I take notes on my phone too, but sometimes paper comes up)
  • Pens/pencils
  • Black AND Silver/Metallic(!) Sharpies for autographs on light or dark surfaces(!!!)
  • YOUR MEDICINE/PAINKILLERS/BANDAGES/INSULIN/ZOMBREX
  • Probably some insoles or gel inserts or foam blocks to walk on or whatever
MORE OPTIONAL
  • Collapsible/lightweight water bottle With flavored beverage pouches
  • Gum!
  • Splenda, mayonnaise, and hot sauce packets: The Condiment Trifecta
  • TRAVEL CUTLERY KIT!!!!!
  • Suggested Road Food For Travellers On Facebook Page: Quest Nutrition Quest Bars(tm[tm{tm<tm>}])

Q> WHAT OTHER MISCELLANEOUS ASSORTMENT OF TIPS?!

A> THIS
  • If you are not in good enough shape to be on your feet for hours a day and to walk about a dozen miles over the course of several days, you might want to get on that. For reasons entirely unrelated to the convention, really, but in this case, for the convention.
  • Having cash-money can be very valuable, as some vendors in the exhibit hall are not equipped to take credit cards, and others will give you a discount for using cash (the Auction/Auction Store in particular charges the full credit card fee so that the sellers are not penalized for the payment method). There are ATMs but of course they are frequently out of cash on convention days!
  • A card-corollary; if you are using a credit card, odds are you might end up getting it locked for potential fraud as you suddenly charge things to companies based all over the country. So yeah, you should probably tell your company you are travelling if they are fraud-averse(!)
  • The Comic Con thread suggests the 6/2/1 rule, though I prefer the 5/3/1 rule, but the idea is the same: Sleep at least 5/6 hours, eat 2/3 meals, and take 1 shower every day. Honestly, if you can handle going a long time without eating, I suggest taking advantage of your hotel's free breakfast buffet (you should stay at a hotel with a free breakfast buffet) and stuffing yourself silly and then trying to make it until dinner time, since nearby businesses are often packed during lunchtime and ending up missing two quality hours of the exhibit hall just to eat a sandwich seems like a bad deal to me.
  • Slandible wants you to know that you should be "dressing in layers. I know it's the middle of summer and you're going to be packed into the center like cattle, but by around 8 pm, a large amount of people start leaving. And by close to midnight, all the AC units in the place turn it into a giant meat locker. I froze my rear end off the first night." (Though worth noting if you are warm in every indoor environment you have ever been in, like ol' Dr. Q, then you will probably be fine.)
  • Oh if you are into this kind of thing here are the relevant links: Gen Con Official Twitterrrrrr, Gen Con Official Facebooooooook

GO
TO
GEN
CON
AND
I
WILL
SEE
YOU
THERE

THE THREE PHASES OF ATTENDING GEN-CON

(thanks for that picture as always, Bottom Liner)

Gonna close this post with a random assortment of articles and other things written (and/or spoken) about Our Beloved Event:

I still love that this random picture I took is the most evidence on the Internet of this game actually existing; who spends all the money to rent those vehicles and then disappears?

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 30, 2021

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

hello and welcome to the gencon memorial thread

edit: I miss you all v much

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Distressing lack of The Beast ITT.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Toshimo posted:

Good point

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

hello and welcome to the gencon memorial thread

edit: I miss you all v much

Toshimo posted:

Dr. Quarex posted:

Good point

All the things i wanted to post in the first three replies!

I filled out the survey that masks mandatory, only attend with vaccination record

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Man the very concept of GenCon seems so foreign now, and yet I want it to happen with all my being.

I already scheduled the PTO for it, DON'T LET ME DOWN AMERICA (America will let me down)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I'M SO EXCITED

Edit: You didn't link the Discord!!! https://discord.gg/Mtzuzbq

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Frozen Peach posted:

I'M SO EXCITED

Edit: You didn't link the Discord!!! https://discord.gg/Mtzuzbq
OH NO I KEPT MEANING TO GET THE LINK AND KEPT FAILING thank you Frozos

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

Good point

I would like to once again apologize to everyone for inflicting this upon us all.

My memory of sitting down next to Carteret at HV and showing him this cursed image is so vivid in my mind.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

ZachAttack posted:

I would like to once again apologize to everyone for inflicting this upon us all.

My memory of sitting down next to Carteret at HV and showing him this cursed image is so vivid in my mind.

it still haunts me

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Hmm i'm gonna need to change Quarex's avatar to point to the new thread, any ideas for a new photoshop? I don't remember what that lady is from, was it an old gencon ad or something?

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Can't wait to sell one of the nichest things ever in TOVA.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

GEN CON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fellis posted:

Hmm i'm gonna need to change Quarex's avatar to point to the new thread, any ideas for a new photoshop? I don't remember what that lady is from, was it an old gencon ad or something?
I just found the picture again, it was a random 1950s board game I took a picture of in the Auction Store and made the mistake of highlighting

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hi yes hello I would like to get drunk with goons then marvel at games again please.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Best Gen Con thread yet!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Best Gen Con thread yet!
:shobon:

Thanks, man; I bet it has something to do with how I deleted nearly every random mostly-unrelated tangent I started writing for a change

I was definitely pleased how comparatively little text there is to accomplish a similar goal. And when we inevitably get somebody in the thread who has never gone before and actually wants more information, well, THAT WILL BE FUN TO PROVIDE WOOO

Also thanks as usual to Torrent for our always-fruitful and always-brief intense conversation about what the thread title should be

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The picture of the fat person laying on the floor of the convention center kills me every loving time

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I Have No Vaccine And I Must Game

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

GEN... can?????

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Haystack posted:

GEN... can?????

gen MUST

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I went in 2019 and ended up spending more money on escorts than I did on boardgames. Highly recommended.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

My buddies and I did some virtual Pathfinder ACG sessions last year at the online Gen Con. It was pretty fun, and we were able to play with the Venture Captain we always try to get at Gen Con so it made it feel more "normal". It wasn't quite the same, but it at least made it feel a little special instead of just missing out on the event all together (none of us regularly play PACG, it just somehow became a yearly ritual that we play 1-2 slots every morning at Gen Con). Anyway, we are all kind of mentally prepared to have to do that again this year, but if we can really get out to Gen Con in person it would be really amazing.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What I want to know is who is going to pick up the Gen Con Merch crown now that Off World Designs is going out of business and liquidating everything?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Agrias120, why not hedge your bets and just plan to game virtually from an Indianapolis hotel? Best of both worlds

SERPUS posted:

I went in 2019 and ended up spending more money on escorts than I did on boardgames. Highly recommended.
:stare: Guess I have a new category to add to the list of things you can enjoy at Gen-Con

nesbit37 posted:

What I want to know is who is going to pick up the Gen Con Merch crown now that Off World Designs is going out of business and liquidating everything?
Maybe SERPUS can spend his money on buying Offworld Designs' stock and starting it back up

A couple of my non-Goon Gen-Con attendee friends once decided they were going to offer to buy the entire inventory of the failing game store in our town and sell it on EBay. They did so successfully, and I want to say they roughly tripled their investment, yet were never sure the work was worth it. I envision someone experiencing the same thing with Offworld Designs, but times 100

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Agrias120, why not hedge your bets and just plan to game virtually from an Indianapolis hotel? Best of both worlds
One of my friends lives in downtown Indy, and we crash at his place every year... so this is a pretty great idea. We didn't want to invade his home last year due to COVID, but we might all feel a little more comfortable having an in-person "GENCAN'T" at his place if the real Gen Con can't happen.

quote:

Maybe SERPUS can spend his money on buying Offworld Designs' stock and starting it back up
My next door neighbors are somehow close personal friends of the couple who owns Offworld Designs, so if some good really did want to buy them out, I could put you in touch!

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "

Maigius posted:

Can't wait to sell one of the nichest things ever in TOVA.

Oh, man, that picture just kept on giving! I was marveling at 'the pledge of allegiance on vinyl,' then I scrolled down a little, and it was 'read by Red Skelton,' and then a bit more to see that it was presented by Burger King. That's going to make for a delightful auction.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

gently caress I hope GenCon happens this year.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lord Of Texas posted:

gently caress I hope GenCon happens this year.
Yeah for realsies

Every day we have a president increases the chances a tiny bit, so that is nice. Between trying to actually get hundreds of millions more doses of vaccines and other companies still trying to get more vaccines out, I definitely think we have a shot (lol!). Last year I thought it was like 50/50 it would happen by April but tending towards negativity (for obvious reasons), and this year I think it is like 50/50 it will happen but tending towards positivity, particularly since I imagine there is a chance they will run some kind of weird hybrid show with capped attendance and an overall like "Gen-Con 1987" vibe but with an online component for livestreams of whatever is debuting at the show proper and such.

I have been thinking a lot about how 2020 showed the opportunities of merging Gen-Con with the GENCAN'T movement to allow them to participate in a virtual sense in the actual proceedings. Like, virtual Gen-Con has virtually (lol!) nothing to offer people like me who find it literally impossible to pay attention to videoconferencing for more than ten seconds without wandering off to do something else, but as is usually the case I learned last year that I am in the very small minority when it comes to how much people might enjoy engaging with online tabletop games. It only seems fair that my inability to enjoy actually playing games at a physical convention translates nicely to my inability to enjoy playing games at an online convention.

THAT SAID WE BETTER FINALLY WATCH NERDY MOVIES IN THE LEAD-UP THIS YEAR NESBIT37

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

If you wanna scratch that con itch, Session Zero Online is a pretty fun approximation, has events, cute like virtual town hangout. I dunno how bumping the room is on average but last nice there was a few hundred people hustling around and chatting and stuff.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

THAT SAID WE BETTER FINALLY WATCH NERDY MOVIES IN THE LEAD-UP THIS YEAR NESBIT37

When do you want to start? I am having a baby in late March and I assume that will make this more difficult for me but what I know. I have no idea how babies work.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

When do you want to start? I am having a baby in late March and I assume that will make this more difficult for me but what I know. I have no idea how babies work.
Well firstly congratulations woooooOO0oO00! and secondly... yeah either we will not hear from you at all for three months or ... we will not hear from you for six months

I think it only took me six weeks before I felt like my brain was working well enough to read the Forums again, but if I had had specific plans like "go click on a thing on Wednesday at 7" I definitely could have made that work even sooner. So clearly whoever is going to host (I feel like someone else volunteered to do it last year?) should decide on a day and we should start throwing out relevant suggestions again. If Goontube can make it work, surely we can too!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Even if I can't host i have some of the films/docs, and want to help host those if I can somehow.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

If you have stuff stored locally, it’s pretty easy to stream VLC or whatever media player over Discord. If we need to do :filez: I subscribe to a thing that’s similar to how Rabb.it worked a few years back that works really well

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Did anyone else get that emailed questionaire on if you're going to Gen Con this year, and how concerned you are about the roni?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

Did anyone else get that emailed questionaire on if you're going to Gen Con this year, and how concerned you are about the roni?

Yup. Interesting ideas like holding a bunch of events outdoors, less interesting ideas like requiring proof of vaccination

Pangaea Ultima
Sep 7, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lord Of Texas posted:

Yup. Interesting ideas like holding a bunch of events outdoors, less interesting ideas like requiring proof of vaccination

I'm very curious how holding events at scale outdoors would work with the heat at the end of July in Indy. I really, really want to believe that Gen Con will happen this year and I'm open to ideas for how to make it safe in the likely scenario that widespread vaccination is still lagging. But, drat, it's hot there and then! Having people outside for days in the summer heat and sun seems like it might carry its own complications. I mean, I guess Burning Man makes it work in the desert, and multi-day music festivals are a thing that happens in the summer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Pangaea Ultima posted:

I mean, I guess Burning Man makes it work in the desert, and multi-day music festivals are a thing that happens in the summer...

Yeah but it's a dry heat. :rimshot: