Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TheRat posted:

Here the Japanese players are upset about the decision and the AR still definitely has his flag down. As you I've watched every replay I can find and I have still not seen one where the flag goes up.

I also can't find one where I see the centre signalling for a goal kick, all I can find is one where he holds a hand to his ear, blows his whistle and gives the "hold up, give me second" hand signal.

I feel like it went in and everyone just held position until they could get a look at it rather than make a call. I was under the impression the ref called the goal but immediately said they would take a look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
you are kinda hosed as the ref either way, but it is their job and it should have been clear one way or the other.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Just so I understand the problem. Is it if VAR can't tell if the ball is in or out 100% they will go with the call by the on field officials?

So if the flag went up it might have been a VAR no goal?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

britishbornandbread posted:

70 to 73 were the greatest three minutes of this cursed World Cup.

:hmmyes:

ScottyJSno posted:

Just so I understand the problem. Is it if VAR can't tell if the ball is in or out 100% they will go with the call by the on field officials?

So if the flag went up it might have been a VAR no goal?

Mostly. Yes, if VAR doesn't see enough to make a decision, then the call on the field stands. Now if the AR did think that the ball went out (as pointed out earlier, no way in hell was the AR in position to make that call) and raised their flag, then it would depend on when the CR sees this and blows the whistle to stop play. If the whistle had gone before Japan had "scored" then there would be no possibility for VAR to even review the play since there was no scoring play to trigger an automatic review nor was there anything else under VAR's purview (red cards and PKs basically) that could have triggered a review. If the whistle came after Japan "scored" then the automatic VAR review for a scoring play would have occurred, but the AR's flag being raised probably would've leaned it more towards the goal not standing.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 2, 2022

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

britishbornandbread posted:

70 to 73 were the greatest three minutes of this cursed World Cup.
it was loving wild i love it

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

AnacondaHL posted:

this thread

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
This world cup is crazy

literal miracles in the stadium

https://twitter.com/dogordo_/status/1598095627128225792?s=48&t=Jzv8uRZKKaLybvIfQfJILA

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Where are the day 13 Chartz???!!??

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

TheRat posted:

Here the Japanese players are upset about the decision and the AR still definitely has his flag down. As you I've watched every replay I can find and I have still not seen one where the flag goes up.

I also can't find one where I see the centre signalling for a goal kick, all I can find is one where he holds a hand to his ear, blows his whistle and gives the "hold up, give me second" hand signal.

That's a great picture, I appreciate it. I was trying to get a similar still but couldnt make it happen. Yep, flag down. I will say "at this point the whistle is gone so no need for the flag to be up anymore" but I think thats wrong, if you're saying the ball was out, you're gonna hold that flag to sell that call for a bit I think to rule out a goal, not gonna be a quick thing. So apparently either it was the center or the call on the field was goal. Probably goal. Looks like I was wrong!

Here is a cool picture I found. I think these are pretty close to if not synced up. Really shows importance of camera angle. I think in the top one, with the goal and goal line not being perfectly in sync that if you moved it to line it up that the ball would appear more in play - or said another way, I think the angle here leads it to appear more out of play than it is.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
Lol it was so fkn close

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
Got another angle here

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this sport is even more chaotic and dumb than baseball, I should watch more of it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

https://twitter.com/oliver_hopkins/status/1598422217531875328?t=8h3AuXBAV4iej_prtArUMw&s=19

Maybe xG is just poo poo?

As proved ITF*

*In this forum

Also begging football fans to learn about Parallax

It's not poo poo lol the Germans scored 6 it's not like they woefully underperformed their xG and it certainly indicates poor finishing as we saw in the games. The rest is how wank their defence has been. That xG stat will have been buffed in the CR match with Navas making a few great point blank saves.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Got another angle here

Lol this just popped up

https://twitter.com/footballramble/status/1598421813050200064?s=46&t=btiqMLX9a2rv5i0ct7yWqg

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

It's not poo poo lol the Germans scored 6 it's not like they woefully underperformed their xG and it certainly indicates poor finishing as we saw in the games. The rest is how wank their defence has been. That xG stat will have been buffed in the CR match with Navas making a few great point blank saves.

What's next, will you explain how the dizzy psybot actually is useful

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

cagliostr0 posted:

What's next, will you explain how the dizzy psybot actually is useful

no that's a fuckin dumbass stat and lol "dizzy psybot"

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

An xG true believer. I never thought I’d see one in TRP.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
xG is a fine stat in context, it’s just that context is not saying “we should have won” and it definitely needs to be in the context of how the teams were set up and what they were trying to do that match

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder again that there will be six of them at the next tournament, in spite of all logic or common decency

There. Will. Be. Shithousery.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Japan… thank you!!!!’

Arigato!!!!

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder again that there will be six of them at the next tournament, in spite of all logic or common decency

The third place one ran your midfield off of the pitch lol

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Jesus I'd nearly scrubbed that from my memory.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

I'm still angry about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz3PjIo5nWg

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Clearly out, seems entirely fine to me.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/nocontextfooty/status/1598611917840474112

Pretty good, pretty good

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Imagine if the ball was pumped up 1% less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Someone post the charts for Friday day 13 :spooky: