Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Here's the charts, we all love charts

Group E

Group F

Hoping for funny wins for Japan (possible) and Costa Rica (unlikely) as well as whatever is needed for MAROC to go through. Blegum not winning (guaranteed) I guess. Canada can score a goal if they like, as a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
We love our charts don't we folks

Always liked costa rica

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

This is the first day of fixtures where I'm almost entirely disinterested, I just don't care who advances out of either of those groups. I guess it would be funny if Costa Rica won and Spain lost.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Japan and Costa Rica advancing would be comedy gold. Germany deserve to go out, but that top right corner is depressingly likely.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

We all love the chart

I would love Japan and Costa Rica and Croatia to win today

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
charts charts charts charts

*banging on the table*

Charts! Charts! Charts! Charts!

*everybody joins in*

CHARTS CHARTS CHARTS CHARTS

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
it means Canada losing but the funniest result in Group F is definitely Morocco and Croatia finishing 1st and 2nd but which is which goes all the way to fair play

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope the lady refs do ok and aren't horrendously abused/forced to do the second half in a headscarf.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
COME ON CANADA

*BANG BANG BANG*

GET A loving POINT!

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

hoping for Japan and Costa Rica to go through and Blegum to have an embarrassing loss and crash out

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

hot sharts

praying for Belgium, Germany, and Spain to all poo poo the bed

stab
Feb 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/CanadaSoccerEN/status/1598310964830650368?t=lAlr-4rzCHH82Jceb5tWbQ&s=19

Reposting it here

Canada playing the b team lol

Estaquio injured, Hutch and jonathan david on the bench lol

:smith:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
it is possible for canada to finish ahead of belgium

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

it is possible for canada to finish ahead of belgium

Should be, but it needs a decent swing in goal difference.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

TheRat posted:

Should be, but it needs a decent swing in goal difference.

canada needs to win by two and belgium needs to lose by at least one (and i guess have the goals-for work out) and, you know what? I'm gonna choose to believe

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hand Knit posted:

canada needs to win by two and belgium needs to lose by at least one (and i guess have the goals-for work out) and, you know what? I'm gonna choose to believe

I believe

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

We Can

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

stab posted:

COME ON CANADA

*BANG BANG BANG*

GET A loving POINT!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

meant to click preview whoops, not done yet

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Lol Davies is playing on the right side away from Ziyech and Hakimi

Bold strategy Cotton

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

hoping all the C teams win today. and japan, ideally

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Ok folks, this is going to be the longest one yet. I'll try to keep the other three shorter.

Canada Morocco
Referee: Raphael CLAUS (BRA)
VAR: Julio Bascuñan (CHI)

I was starting to wonder if the #1 Brazilian at the tournament would work again in the group stages after Sampaio had already worked twice. But here he is! He had England Iran. Biggest issues in that was the VAR, really - Claus did fine, maybe slightly below average for what we have seen elsewhere in the World Cup, but nothing really disqualifying there. This might be the "easiest" game of the day so I think this might be a way to try to keep his hands clean for the knockouts.

Croatia Belgium
Referee: Anthony TAYLOR (ENG)
VAR: Marco Fritz (GER)

Anthony Taylor on relatively short rest gets another crack at it. It looks like FIFA were really pleased with his performance in South Korea / Ghana to line him up that fast. Good to know that the red card was supported. The duel between him and Oliver for the knockouts is going to be fun to watch - I thought Taylor was good the other day, and Oliver seemed great yesterday, so we'll see if Taylor can respond.

Japan Spain
Referee: Victor GOMES (RSA)
VAR: Fernando Guerrero (MEX)

Gomes had France and Australia previously, and I can't really remember anything about it to be honest. Guerrero, the VAR, was the one who sent down the handball changed to a free kick coming out in Tunisia Denmark and recommended the offside in Morocco Belgium that was reviewed for interfering with an opponent. He was paired with his compatriot Ramos in both of those games.

Costa Rica Germany
Referee: Stéphanie FRAPPART (FRA)
AR1: Neuza Back (BRA)
AR2: Karen Diaz Medina (MEX)
VAR: Drew Fischer (CAN)
Offside AVAR (2): Kathryn Nesbitt (USA)

Alright. Let me start with this: Stéphanie Frappart is, objectively, in the top tier of referees in the world. She works Ligue 1, she's worked in the Champions League (albeit barely - almost feels like they realized she never had and gave her a game in November), the Europa League, and the Nations League. I hope she does extremely well today and that all we are doing is laughing about Costa Rica's antics after the game. But she is not ready for this game. She may see it through, but, objectively, she's not ready for it. She seems to be somewhere between like 7 and 10ish in France's version of the select group. That's an amazing accomplishment and I don't want to put anyone down who has gotten to that level. But it would be like, say, Chris Kavanagh from the Premier League working this game. Chris is in the upper echelon of world referees, but that's just not good enough for what you expect at the world cup from UEFA. Yeah, maybe when you have to grade on a curve, the 4th or 5th guy out of CONCACAF isn't particularly strong. But consider István Kovács. He did a quarterfinal at the U17 world cup, did a match at Euro 2020, has worked in the semi finals of the Champions League, and had the Conference League final. Kovacs is at the World Cup as a 4th official only, it appears, because Frappart is working this match.

This appointment is pretty surprising. It seemed like there was a lot of jockeying for her to have the opener, then that didn't happen. Then as upsets kept happening, you start to say "ok, no true dead rubbers, where can she fit?". I think if it weren't for Argentina yesterday asking for Neutrality to be abandoned, it's possible Frappart isn't on this game. FIFA put themselves between a rock and a hard place here - you cant make a big deal about bringing all of these Women referee and then never put them on the field. Well, I say can't, they shouldn't anyway. They did the same thing about the Olympics - made a big deal that "actually, the referee pool is completely open, any referee we brought could do either men's or women's matches" and then never crossed the line. I think this being in Qatar plus that previous "attempt" really put the pressure on them to make this happen. Part of me was wondering if they would just keep her away from everything and just give her the third place game since they considered her for the opener, but I'm glad they thought better of it. So... why this game? If Costa Rica upset Germany and a team a lot of people thought could win this go out because of something Frappart does wrong, there will be huge repercussions for women doing these games in the future. It's a huge gamble by FIFA. The best theory I have read on "Why this?" comes down to Germany and the US being some of her biggest proponents here. The theory is FIFA went "Ok, Germany, you wanted her here and to work, you can have her on your game - Costa Rica, your CONCACAF member US felt the same way, so, here you go, take it up with CONCACAF if you have any complaints."

My biggest issue here is that if you have the goal to have a woman working at the world cup, you could have made a plan to do it and started preparing her years in advance. Target 2026. Send her to all of the Youth World Cups (the Youth World Cup tends to be the proving ground for referees for the world cup - most world cup referees have attended at least one of these). Give her more time to work her way up in the Champions League. Send her to the Euros and the Olympics (and actually give her matches this time). There was a way for this to happen where FIFA built credibility for this appointment by name recognition and just relevant experience, and instead they did nothing of that. That is extremely unfair to Frappart.

I'm also a little bothered with the trio they selected. She's worked with french ARs and she's comfortable with them - use those. She's comfortable with them. This is going to be a tough enough hill to climb as it is, why pair her with people she has almost certainly never worked with before? (This will be the first time since the 2002 world cup, I believe, where a trio crosses a Confederation border.) Again, these women are in the top tier of referees in the world and they all work in their domestic top flight, so they are good referees! But... why in the world is Kathryn Nesbitt in the VOR and not on the field? Nesbitt has worked in the Gold Cup, she's worked world cup qualifiers, and she has been working in the MLS since 2015. Kathryn has seen CONCACAF up close and personal - she knows the kind of bullcrap that is about to happen out there. And instead, she's in the VOR. I get that Diaz Medina is also from CONCACAF, but she is not nearly as experienced as Nesbitt. Back, the other AR, didn't work a single world cup qualifier this cycle, as best I can tell, so Nesbitt could have slotted in there, too!

The TL;DR: Frappart is a good referee. She shouldn't be on an elimination match at the world cup. FIFA have set her up for failure here almost at every turn - not sending her to a YWC, not letting her work the Men's Olympics, not letting her work with people she has worked with before. I hope she does well but I am very worried

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

chaoslord posted:

Alright. Let me start with this: Stéphanie Frappart is, objectively, in the top tier of referees in the world.

I really hope she does well. The internet is going to be an unbearable shitshow if she makes a big mistake.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Canada undisputed anthem winners

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

stab posted:

Canada undisputed anthem winners

the moroccan one is a banger. minor key for an anthem is pretty sweet

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Presumably she can blow a whistle and run around for an hour and a half and let var make up it's bleep boop robot mind? She'll be fine.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

lol ten seconds

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

00:10 goal would have been :lmao:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Belgium might want to wake up and play some football

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
If only a historical metaphor for poor Belgian defences existed, alas

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
jfc Borjan

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
lmao Canada

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Of course I picked Belgium-Croatia to watch and missed :canada:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I'll kind of be glad when Borjan isn't the first choice keeper

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

lmao what

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Jfc borjan

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

ah, well, nevertheless

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Oh dear.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Blegum are going to get battered and they deserve it for not starting my boy Wout Faes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Real clown defending by Borjan there