Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
It doesn't feel right watching these cutscenes without seeing a QuebecGamers watermark in the bottom right corner, all the Youtube Poops from 15 years ago were pulling from the seemingly only source at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

you asked for a green screen you got it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

:golfclap:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

FeyerbrandX posted:

you asked for a green screen you got it

:golfclaponabeerbottle:

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

C-Euro posted:

It's so jarring going from him and the other characters with hyper-detailed faces to Zelda and Link, whose facial features look drawn on with crayons.

Like look at these episode banners. Is it just because they're young and therefore not wrinkly like everyone else?

It might be cause they had to be drawn more then anybody else, so they kept their designs as simple as they could for ease of drawing/animating.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

stryth posted:

It might be cause they had to be drawn more then anybody else, so they kept their designs as simple as they could for ease of drawing/animating.

Also a simpler design with smoother lines will tend to read as younger / more attractive, vs. a design where you add a lot of detail to the face.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I'm extremely proud of this thumbnail.
And that's Wand of Gamelon! Thanks to all who followed the LPs here, and look forward to Arzette in its own thread in the coming weeks!

I probably could have done these LPs years ago, but thinking about it, it feels right to have waited until I could properly take advantage of my voice training :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Regarding that Warcraft point-and-click adventure game, they were told to animate a particular notable dragon "blowing smoke rings".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Where did that book come from?
How did Link get into that mirror?

:psyduck:

What a fun dumb double-feature. Can truthfully say that these videos were snap-watches for me.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Good lord that post-credits digression. :D

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

C-Euro posted:

Where did that book come from?
How did Link get into that mirror?

:psyduck:

What a fun dumb double-feature. Can truthfully say that these videos were snap-watches for me.

He gave her a kiss :biglips:

No, really. That's the lady that bragged about getting a kiss from Link, and she's holding the mirror he's trapped in. The implication is that she sorceried him into the mirror. Link: Canonically too much of a horndog to save the day.

Also, drat, I just found out about the citra/yuzu thing from this. That's... not a great precedent set for all emulators out there.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 16, 2024

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
What an ending! I can see what you were saying about this one being pretty rushed. Still, very fun and silly, it's clear that there's something in there to love.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

FoolyCharged posted:

Also, drat, I just found out about the citra/yuzu thing from this. That's... not a great precedent set for all emulators out there.
As long as they don't do things like host Nintendo's files on a Google Drive, openly talk about pirating the latest games on their Discord and that sort of thing, they'll probably be fine. I'm not saying what Nintendo did was good by any means, but the Yuzu guys just flew too close to the sun.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes. There are already Yuzu clones popping up.

If you say they're meant for homebrew stuff only or whatever they prob won't do much.

Yuzu collected usage statistics and posted them on their website, proudly mentioning that Zelda was the most played game on the emulator or whatever.
They also had game decryption keys embedded in their emulator which is also a big no-go.

If you remove that specific Nintendo stuff and let users supply their own you're probably fine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Apparently Jacob: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi1Zuni57Rc

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Weren’t those Nintendo emulators also targeted as they were raking in something like $30,000 in monthly donations?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zaroff posted:

Weren’t those Nintendo emulators also targeted as they were raking in something like $30,000 in monthly donations?

I doubt that this is specifically what prompted Nintendo to take legal action. I'm sure they'd shut down every emu project and fangame in a microsecond, if they could. But it sure didn't hurt their case that there was a big Patreon with an associated private Discord where piracy was taking place.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah. For as obnoxiously smug about the 3ds bios stuff they were, it's kind of amazing to see that they then turned around and painted themselves such a huge target that they got sued for millions.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Wasn't there a third game that used pictures of real places as the backgrounds?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Wasn't there a third game that used pictures of real places as the backgrounds?

That was Zelda's Adventure, yeah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zelda's Adventure feels much less "bad in a fun way" than the other games. Did it even have cutscenes, or just voice acting?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Zelda's Adventure feels much less "bad in a fun way" than the other games. Did it even have cutscenes, or just voice acting?

The third part of this review video does a good job of explaining what Zelda's Adventure is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAANHKyRIm4&t=2705s

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FoolyCharged posted:

Link: Canonically too much of a horndog to save the day.

Workshopping a theory that these were the very first games in the Zelda timeline, and after them Link and all his descendants were cursed with silence because of how obnoxious he is here.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

C-Euro posted:

Workshopping a theory that these were the very first games in the Zelda timeline, and after them Link and all his descendants were cursed with silence because of how obnoxious he is here.

I don't know about the lore, but I'm willing to bet this link is why Nintendo will never let him speak again. Financial trauma.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Might've also been the TV show, he was pretty obnoxious there too. Although it seems this Link and Zelda are modeled after the TV show's versions of them IIRC.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

The third part of this review video does a good job of explaining what Zelda's Adventure is like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAANHKyRIm4&t=2705s
That was really interesting, thanks for linking to it.

And it made me realize that Faces and Wand came out around the same time as Link to the Past, when there really wasn't much of an established notion of what a Zelda game is. Not even the genre – precedent was two top-down games and one sidescroller, and neither of those gave Link or Zelda any personality to speak of. It was probably the last moment in the franchise's history when experiments like this were even possible.

In any case, I enjoyed this LP a lot and I'm looking forward to Arzette :)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Commander Keene posted:

Might've also been the TV show, he was pretty obnoxious there too. Although it seems this Link and Zelda are modeled after the TV show's versions of them IIRC.

They were definitely taking inspiration from Zelda's outfit:

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Faces of Evil and Wand of Gamelon felt like they more-or-less understood the assignment (given the context of what Zelda-related content there was out there at the time, anyway) but just sucked at the execution. Zelda's Adventure feels like someone looked at about 3 minutes of Zelda 1 gameplay and just kinda winged it from there.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
The guys and I haven't been able to record Arzette yet due to life and such, but at least Dan and Grace are doing their chaotic casual thing with it in the meantime.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

ThornBrain posted:

The guys and I haven't been able to record Arzette yet due to life and such, but at least Dan and Grace are doing their chaotic casual thing with it in the meantime.

I'm watching theirs, and I will watch yours when it happens. There is no sense in not!

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

berryjon posted:

I'm watching theirs, and I will watch yours when it happens. There is no sense in not!

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

When Nintendo said Breath of the Wild took place 10,000 years after the latest Zelda, I headcanon'd that the Zelda's since then had been keeping things in check because the wisdom granted to her finally made her realize "hey it's probably easier if we take care of him before he becomes a problem" each time Ganon tried to come back

To the surprise of no one, it turns out entrusting the fate of your entire kingdom to one suicidal overconfident teenager (or sometimes straight-up child) is not very smart!