Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swassy Man
Dec 12, 2010

dissss posted:

German ones are closest to this, but even then you get as many niggling problems as catastrophic ones.

Certainly does not hold true for French or Italian vehicles though which are still forever falling apart in non-fatal ways.

I guess I'll have to hope for the best, then, but in a car that small at least it'd be easy to work on in a 2-car garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Spotted one of these in white with orange (I think) rims in Canberra, Australia on sunday! They look so cwute in person, especially sitting next to my commodore.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

German ones are closest to this, but even then you get as many niggling problems as catastrophic ones.

Certainly does not hold true for French or Italian vehicles though which are still forever falling apart in non-fatal ways.

In 3½ years and ~55000km of Panda ownership, I have no complaints. There have only been a couple of minor niggles.

The driver's seat creaked a bit, which I could probably have fixed myself, but it was in for its 1-year service anyway.

At the same time, they replaced a couple of suspension bits as a preventative measure. Apparently, some people have managed to bust the front suspension (probably driving over curbs etc.), so they uprated some of the components and retrofit them on all the cars they service.

The paint on the rear seat brackets was flaking, so they replaced those as well.

Apart from that, not a single piece of trim has broken, no odd sounds, engine runs perfectly. It's been a very enjoyable ownership experience so far. I had the windshield replaced about 8 months ago, but that can hardly be blamed on Fiat ;)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yep they are MUCH better in that regard than they were ten or so years back.

Takes a long time for the Punto/Brava memories to fade though ;)

eames
May 9, 2009

What the 695 Tributo Ferrari should have been. :)

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/21/awesome-mid-engine-rwd-abarth-500-motore-centrale-revealed-at-t/

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I have been seeing these cars on the road up in Michigan all the time, but they're usually being driven by test drivers, have manufacturer's plates, and they're usually in a 3-car caravan. It's pretty weird to see 3 of the same car going down the road, and a bit annoying as it takes forever to pass them. They drive a steady 65, my bus does 66 tops, and speed limit is 70 so the traffic stacks up behind us quickly.

The other day on I-75 between Flint and Saginaw, I was right behind one group of 3 500's while another was passing in the other direction. None of the drivers waved at eachother. :smith: I've also passed a flatbed truck loaded with 3 500's, all of them with heavy crash damage. My guess is they do crash testing somewhere around here. I'd love to be able to take some shots of these, but I'd probably make my passengers worried.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I saw a new one of these two days ago in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Dude driving it was driving it like a sports car and it took off pretty quick. Looked like fun.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

NoWake posted:

I have been seeing these cars on the road up in Michigan all the time, but they're usually being driven by test drivers, have manufacturer's plates, and they're usually in a 3-car caravan. It's pretty weird to see 3 of the same car going down the road, and a bit annoying as it takes forever to pass them. They drive a steady 65, my bus does 66 tops, and speed limit is 70 so the traffic stacks up behind us quickly.

The other day on I-75 between Flint and Saginaw, I was right behind one group of 3 500's while another was passing in the other direction. None of the drivers waved at eachother. :smith: I've also passed a flatbed truck loaded with 3 500's, all of them with heavy crash damage. My guess is they do crash testing somewhere around here. I'd love to be able to take some shots of these, but I'd probably make my passengers worried.

In southeast michigan (Ann Arbor specifically) I've seen 500s driving around, usualyl alone, since January or so. Surprised how small they really are. I've set on a fiesta for my next car but might have to check one of these out first.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

rotarybob posted:

I saw a new one of these two days ago in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Dude driving it was driving it like a sports car and it took off pretty quick. Looked like fun.

There's a white Prima Edizione parked on Kempt road Chrysler dealership if you wanted to take a look. The dealership was closed so I don't know if it's for sale.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I saw the one on kempt road the other day. They are actually quite bigger than I thought they would be.

Any news on the abarth edition for Canada yet?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
At my OE's headquarters we have a manufacturer tagged 500 Lounge trim in silver. Mfg plates. Haven't seen it moved in a while though, I wonder what they're doing with it. Probably just evaluating a competitor product.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I had the misfortune of recently spending a week with a Fiat 500. With an absolutely anemic 68hp engine. Drove it for 5 miserable days. It was easy to park, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it, sorry. More power would certainly help, but it was simply... uncomfortable.

One that that did surprise me is that you can actually fit 4 adults comfortably in it- there's ample legroom in the back for normal people. 3 adults and luggage, however, does not fit nearly so comfortably.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Aren't all the US-spec 500s just over 100 horse?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Aren't all the US-spec 500s just over 100 horse?
Mercifully, yes. I had this one as a rental in Europe.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, I can imagine 68 HP is pretty wheezy when you load it with what, 7-800 lbs.?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
I've been involved with the launch and sales of these things since the beginning of the year, so by all means:

Ask a FIat of North America Salesperson questions!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

More power would certainly help, but it was simply... uncomfortable.

It ain't a couch by any stretch, that's for sure.

You just have to sort of "get" it, the ride and feel has sort of a cadence to it. It's hard to explain, I really like my Panda, but my parents absolutely hate driving it.

Perhaps "(over)enthusiastically lively" is a good way to put it, it can get a bit much when driving for a couple of hours.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

nerdrum posted:

I've been involved with the launch and sales of these things since the beginning of the year, so by all means:

Are you hiring? :v:

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Are you hiring? :v:

The entire Tri-state area is pretty desperate right now in terms of hiring, especially NJ -- the hiring process and the lack of actual Studio's right now is the reason there isn't a single running Fiat Studio in the entire state.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Yeah, I can imagine 68 HP is pretty wheezy when you load it with what, 7-800 lbs.?
Not quite that bad, and it's a really light car (2000lbs IIRC). But it was still wheezy with no luggage and just me.

KozmoNaut posted:

It ain't a couch by any stretch, that's for sure.

You just have to sort of "get" it, the ride and feel has sort of a cadence to it. It's hard to explain, I really like my Panda, but my parents absolutely hate driving it.

Perhaps "(over)enthusiastically lively" is a good way to put it, it can get a bit much when driving for a couple of hours.
I was unable to get the seat into a position where my legs and arms were both comfortable; the spring on the gas was so light, my foot would cramp up after just a few minutes and I'd have to shift so my toe was only 1-2" above the hinge point. Which of course only works for open driving; in any sort of traffic, it was literally painful to drive.

grover fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 24, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

grover posted:

Not quite that bad, and it's a really light car (2000lbs IIRC). But it was still wheezy with no luggage and just me.
Were you by any chance below about 4,000rpm?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

InitialDave posted:

Were you by any chance below about 4,000rpm?
The redline isn't much above that, but I was red-line shifting pretty much every gear every time I put the car in motion, trying to make the most of what little it had. It sounded horrible, it was straining so hard yet going nowhere...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Was it a diesel? I'm pretty sure all the gas engines redline closer to 7000.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Was it a diesel? I'm pretty sure all the gas engines redline closer to 7000.
No, it was gas- guy at Europcar was careful to tell me to put in SUPER unleaded, too. Redline was about 5000rpm IIRC. Might be different on the US motor.

Edit: I didn't realize there'd be so much interest or I'd have taken notes and pictures! US redlines at 6000rpm in photos (6500 per wiki) and photos online show a 6-speed manual, though wiki says only 5-speed is offered, so dunno there. I can't find photos in GIS of the 1.2L 5-speed manual I had. 1-4 are geared to very slow speeds, optimizing it for city driving, I'm sure- helped at slow speeds, but not so much on the highway. Turning radius was wider than I expected, but it was extremely maneuverable in reverse with such a short wheelbase.

grover fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 24, 2011

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The six speed is an auto and it still gets crap mileage compared to the five speed manual. Also the engine's max power is at 6500 RPM. Best to flog it :whip:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

I was unable to get the seat into a position where my legs and arms were both comfortable; the spring on the gas was so light, my foot would cramp up after just a few minutes and I'd have to shift so my toe was only 1-2" above the hinge point. Which of course only works for open driving; in any sort of traffic, it was literally painful to drive.

That's one of the things that put a lot of people off, the 'correct' seating position for a small Fiat is surprisingly upright, much more than you'd think.

Is the gas pedal bottom-hinged in the 500? Because it's top-hinged in my Panda and literally no different from any other car I've driven, apart from having a somewhat longer travel than especially the Peugeot/Citroën vans and VWs I've driven. My right foot rests on the floor on the heel when working the gas, when I'm working the clutch and brake both feet are off the floor.

Works fine for me v:shobon:v

The six speed is an auto and it still gets crap mileage compared to the five speed manual. Also the engine's max power is at 6500 RPM. Best to flog it :whip:

Grover drove a car with the 1242cc 8v FIRE engine, a venerable (old) Fiat engine that has powered a shitton of different models since about the mid-80s. It reaches max power at around 5500rpm and redlines at 6000. But with FIRE engines, the redline is more like a polite suggestion. I have a friend who used to drive a Seicento Sporting (1108cc and 54hp!). He never shifted before 6500rpm and never had a problem with the engine. Plenty of problems with the electrics, but the engine was fine.

Be glad you get the 100hp 1.4 multiair engine in the US, it's a much more modern design and it loves to rev!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Grover drove a car with the 1242cc 8v FIRE engine, a venerable (old) Fiat engine that has powered a shitton of different models since about the mid-80s. It reaches max power at around 5500rpm and redlines at 6000. But with FIRE engines, the redline is more like a polite suggestion. I have a friend who used to drive a Seicento Sporting (1108cc and 54hp!). He never shifted before 6500rpm and never had a problem with the engine. Plenty of problems with the electrics, but the engine was fine.
Pretty much this. Petrol FIRE? Wind that poo poo up and don't back off for anything!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

nerdrum posted:

How many dealers are actively selling and how many have sold?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

nerdrum posted:

What's the predicted trims mix and what's the predicted take rate on the automatic gearbox?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I've never been able to find a comfortable driving position in any Italian made car regardless of its size.

Would probably be driving an Alfa 166 right now if it was ergonomically a bit better.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

nerdrum posted:

When will I be able to test drive a freaking Abarth?!?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

heat posted:

When will I be able to test drive a freaking Abarth?!?

they don't even have a firm launch date as far as i know so you may want to untwist your knickers

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

nerdrum posted:

I love the 500, I really do. But when will we see more Fiat models here in the states?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I love the 500, I really do. But when will we see more Fiat models here in the states?

What model(s) are you hoping to see?

I don't think there is a lot of chance of seeing the Panda, and there really isn't anything else worth buying in their current range.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't believe there are any other models in the next few years that are going to badged as FIATs. Based on interviews with Chrysler executives and Allpar, the Doblo is definitely coming next year under the Ram brand to compete with the Transit Connect, and there will be a new C-segment car based on the Alfa Giullieta platform to replace the Caliber.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

What model(s) are you hoping to see?

I don't think there is a lot of chance of seeing the Panda, and there really isn't anything else worth buying in their current range.

The current Panda is on its way out, but perhaps you'll get the new Panda that's set to come out in 2012. Probably only the 4x4 model as sort of a baby SUV or something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KozmoNaut posted:

The current Panda is on its way out, but perhaps you'll get the new Panda that's set to come out in 2012. Probably only the 4x4 model as sort of a baby SUV or something.

Um, since when do baby SUVs in the US come as 4WD only? We'll be getting the 2WD version and lording over all the Smarts and Yarises with our delusion of power.

Also, you say this as though it is a bad thing in a country that has the Patriot and Compass.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VideoTapir posted:

Um, since when do baby SUVs in the US come as 4WD only? We'll be getting the 2WD version and lording over all the Smarts and Yarises with our delusion of power.

Also, you say this as though it is a bad thing in a country that has the Patriot and Compass.
The difference between the regular and 4x4 Panda isn't that obvious, so it's more likely that they'd use the Cross version (or whatever replaces it) - but I don't know where the US would stand with the diesel powerplant.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

InitialDave posted:

The difference between the regular and 4x4 Panda isn't that obvious, so it's more likely that they'd use the Cross version (or whatever replaces it) - but I don't know where the US would stand with the diesel powerplant.

It would stand in the lobby of the garage where the tank is being pumped out after the wrong fuel was put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

VideoTapir posted:

I meant that you'll probably only get the 4x4-styled (or Cross) version, even it's going to be available in both 2WD and 4WD.

The Panda is already pretty squared-off and chunky-looking, but I think they'd go all the way and just give you the slightly raised 4x4 styling to make it more distinctive and appeal to your Patriot/Compass sensibilities.

In fact, they'll probably just lob off the 4WD system from the successor to the Cross and stick the 100hp 1.4 in there that you're already getting in the 500. 4WD as an optional extra.

And yes, lording over Smarts, Yarises, Altos, Twingos, Lupos and so on is even more fun than you'd think. You're like the big kid in the sandbox. You know, the kid who had to take 1st grade over again because he's a bit slow, but he sure as hell can beat everyone else up.

• Locked thread