Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Totally digging the seats in that Cabrio Italia edition.

I don't really get the criticism of the steering and clutch/stick. Sure, they're very light, but small cars benefit greatly from the ease of doing everything with a light touch. The Panda is probably the easiest car to drive I've ever been in and the 500 is identical for all intents and purposes.

And the motoring press has heaped tons of praise on both cars. Even Jeremy Clarkson remarked in his review that he preferred driving the Panda to his Mercedes SL and Volvo XC90 and all the other test cars he was reviewing. He likes the 500 (and the Abarth in particular) even more.

And he's not the only one. Jay Leno's excused since they gave him one for free, so of course he'll be positive. But every other review I've read of the Panda/500 has praised the way it drives and how much character it has.

I have a blast every time I drive mine, even with the decidedly non-sporty diesel. Sure, it's bouncy and you feel every little nook and cranny in the road despite the relatively soft suspension. But the way it tackles B-roads is just plain good fun. Not fast, but fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't really get the criticism of the steering and clutch/stick. Sure, they're very light, but small cars benefit greatly from the ease of doing everything with a light touch.

Light and flimsy are two different things. The stick and clutch on any Civic are light, but the feel when you use them is more precise and less toy-like than in the 500. The parts should not be so cheap that it feels like an errant sneeze would cause something to snap.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kimbo305 posted:

Light and flimsy are two different things. The stick and clutch on any Civic are light, but the feel when you use them is more precise and less toy-like than in the 500. The parts should not be so cheap that it feels like an errant sneeze would cause something to snap.

See, I don't get this. The controls in my Panda don't feel toy-like at all, the 3rd-4th shift in particular is just right, heavy enough to feel solid and feel the synchros working, but slick enough that it can be done with a flick of the wrist.

It isn't as luxurious as a BMW or even a VW, but compared to my parents' Citroen and Peugeots, it feels drat good.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

kimbo305 posted:

Why add a carbon fiber knob to a shifter that feels like it only weighs 3 ounces?

Yeah, I don't get this. I swapped out my old wooden shift knob with a heavy stainless one and it improved my shift feel 100%. The shifter seems to be one point where a little heft is a good thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

kimbo305 posted:

I didn't feel like it was going to break when I drove it and that was coming from one of Ze Germans Build Quality Uber Alles brands. The shifter was definitely a low point, but I didn't think it was going to break.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Saw one in the wild today, seemed to absolutely tower over my '97 Mirage:

How is the 500 for a Tall Person? I have trouble with DL and AA coach seats, but no problem with WN seats.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KozmoNaut posted:

Totally digging the seats in that Cabrio Italia edition.

I don't really get the criticism of the steering and clutch/stick. Sure, they're very light, but small cars benefit greatly from the ease of doing everything with a light touch. The Panda is probably the easiest car to drive I've ever been in and the 500 is identical for all intents and purposes.

My Charade has really light steering (strong power steering) and it really makes a good difference in tight radius stuff. Either de-powered or the actual manual steering feels ever so slightly more ponderous in tight spaces, though it has like a 12 foot turning radius.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I didn't feel like it was going to break when I drove it and that was coming from one of Ze Germans Build Quality Uber Alles brands. The shifter was definitely a low point, but I didn't think it was going to break.

I remember wanting to be ginger with the shifter and the little armrest because both gave off these creaks and rubs that suggested they would break if pushed. I'm sure both are more durable than that, but the perception is definitely at odds with the style and luxury the car presents from a distance.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

BonzoESC posted:

Saw one in the wild today, seemed to absolutely tower over my '97 Mirage:

How is the 500 for a Tall Person? I have trouble with DL and AA coach seats, but no problem with WN seats.

John Salley on The Car Show (like 7ft tall ex NBA player) fit in one fine, he liked it better then the Mini.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DJ Commie posted:

My Charade has really light steering (strong power steering) and it really makes a good difference in tight radius stuff. Either de-powered or the actual manual steering feels ever so slightly more ponderous in tight spaces, though it has like a 12 foot turning radius.

Absolutely, it certainly makes a difference.

I know the super light "city steering" that you can switch on and off in most Fiats has been decried as the "girlie button" and drawn into question why you would even want it since the steering is so light already.

Now, I drove a car with manual steering before, and it's not like I wouldn't be perfectly fine without it. But it's just so nice to have when parallel parking or navigating tight parking lots or all the other small spaces which Copenhagen seems to be full of. It makes palming the wheel completely effortless and with 3 turns lock to lock, you can pull some really nifty stuff like a proper Italian.

When I have to drive a couple of hours on the freeway, I sometimes think to myself "why the hell didn't I buy a larger more comfortable car?". Then I get to a really tight parking garage and think "oh right, that's why!".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 3, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I saw a rather candid review of the Fiat 500 today in an unlikely place - No Reservations with Anthony Bordain (Naples episode). It was a bit out of place, as I can't recall him ever mentioning a car on his show before, but it clearly struck him as noteworthy enough to include in his show that's normally about travel, food and culture. Tony describes the Fiat simply as "This piece of **** my producers rented for me."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sounds like Bourdain :)

Corn Syrup
Feb 6, 2006
http://youtu.be/qIGORDUHgwM?t=11m27s

Pretty sure that's a Smart Car.

Edit for content: I finally had the chance to sit in a 500, and can confirm that even at 6'1" I can fit in the back seat. Also, I have yet to talk to anyone at the dealership who actually has a clue about the car. Or any car.

Corn Syrup fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 8, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boozahol posted:

http://youtu.be/qIGORDUHgwM?t=11m27s

Pretty sure that's a Smart Car.

Definitely a Smart.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

grover posted:

Italian drivers are insanely aggressive by US standards, but Italian highways might as well in anywhere in the US, there's very little fundamental difference. Perhaps that's why they have fewer issues; it's not that they're not merging with giant trucks doing 80 on the autostrade, it's that they just don't care! I was terrified during every highway merge with that little Fiat 500 and ended up driving side-roads instead if at all possible. It's a city car, plain and simple. You can't escape physics- the shell might be stiff, but those crumple zones aren't enough to withstand a crash at highway speeds. If a crash with no crumple zones is like falling off the top of a building, the Fiat 500 is like putting two cheap mattress on top of the pavement.

No ifs, ands, or buts. Italian drivers are Nucking Futs. My first memory of an Italian highway was seeing a middle-aged woman driving a Mercedes inbetween the lane lines like that's the way everyone should do it.

I'd have a nervous breakdown if I ever had to drive myself around in Rome.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Mr.AARP posted:

No ifs, ands, or buts. Italian drivers are Nucking Futs. My first memory of an Italian highway was seeing a middle-aged woman driving a Mercedes inbetween the lane lines like that's the way everyone should do it.

I'd have a nervous breakdown if I ever had to drive myself around in Rome.

Driving in Rome is an exhilerating experience. And it's funny to American sensibilities but the 500 is a pretty big car there.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Driving in Rome is an exhilerating experience. And it's funny to American sensibilities but the 500 is a pretty big car there.

Most Italians (and in fact most mediterraneans) seem to cut their driving teeth on mopeds, usually with a hot woman perched on the back, and without fail they drive like they don't want to see the next morning. A 500 is a major step up in safety compared to that. Back in the 90's I drove a 40hp Fiat Cinquecento round large parts of Italy and Greece and I'm continually surprised that noone hit me and vice versa.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
There is nothing faster than a teenage Italian male with a date waiting, and Italian cars should always be driven with this mindset.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Driving in Japan is pretty nuts too, I learned a lot in my early 20's driving around Japan for three years. Lots of two lane roads that should have been one ways. Tight squeezes that would freak out most people don't bother me much :v:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Try driving a Renault Megane with the big(er) diesel diesel there - its like you're kind of the road :)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

leica posted:

Driving in Japan is pretty nuts too, I learned a lot in my early 20's driving around Japan for three years. Lots of two lane roads that should have been one ways. Tight squeezes that would freak out most people don't bother me much :v:
I'll be hiring a car for a day when I'm in Japan to drive up and down some mountain roads (yes, including that one), and I was just going to hire whatever the basic little Aygo etc base car is and drive it like, well, a tiny underpowered hatchback.

PeanutAllergy
Jan 6, 2008

by I Ozma Myself
Purchased a Olive Green Sport with the Brown interior in mid September.
Manual, of course.
Put about 1k on it so far and its absolutely brilliant. This car embodies the very essence of having fun driving a slow car fast. Leans over a bit around fast corners, but once its leaned over a certain amount its stable as all get out.
Due to the short wheelbase, I can even coax a little oversteer out of it.

I test drove a manual sport back when the dealers first set up on our shores (April, I think) and liked it, but didn't love it. I test drove over 40 cars in pursuit of the "perfect fit" and hadn't found one. My fiance wanted to check out a mini and the fiat with me and we drove a Mini Cooper S and the Fiat back to back. The mini was absolutely faster, and handled better, but it wasn't nearly as much fun. I don't know if they improved build quality between the first run and now (mine was built in late August) but I fell in love and purchased it a week later.

I'd encourage any naysayers to go to a studio and test drive the car by yourself. Flog the crap out of it on the back roads and if you can deal with owning a subcompact car, you'd be happy with it.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Looks like they've been testing out the Abarth in Michigan and someone grabbed some photos and specs: http://www.fiat500abarth.us/blog/fiat-chrysler-news/fiat-abarth-spy-shots-specs/

160hp or a 200hp upgrade option! Not bad.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

200hp from a production turbo 1.4 is pretty drat solid if you ask me.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Chiming in on the Mazda2 lovefest in this thread.

I test drove both the 500 and the Mazda2 three times before deciding. I'll ape the numb feel of the 500 being a turn-off, but that wasn't what tipped the scales. It was what happened past the limits. The 500 had higher limits (due to the rubber and curb weight), but drat if the 2 wasn't a blast to drive past them. Minimal understeer, tons of turn-in left once the tires sing. The car loves to rotate, and will lift-oversteer in the right conditions. The 500 just understeered.

The 500 was more like a Golf, while the Mazda2 was more like a Neon with a shorter wheelbase. (In terms of handling alone)

As to the Fiesta comparison, there is none. Whatever DNA the platform brought over was decimated by its upbringing at Ford. I had the Fiesta understeer on me in corners at speeds that I've never experienced in another car before. Reminded me of a minivan. I had to apologise to the salesman who accompanied me. I really had no clue that a new car could handle that poorly. Maybe it was lovely rubber, but what the car did when the grip ran out was abysmal.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

sliderule posted:

As to the Fiesta comparison, there is none. Whatever DNA the platform brought over was decimated by its upbringing at Ford. I had the Fiesta understeer on me in corners at speeds that I've never experienced in another car before. Reminded me of a minivan. I had to apologise to the salesman who accompanied me. I really had no clue that a new car could handle that poorly. Maybe it was lovely rubber, but what the car did when the grip ran out was abysmal.

We're you in an SFE model maybe? We have an manual SE hatch, and while it does understeer at the limit, its no where near minivan bad. Its actually quite good at attacking roundabouts and tossing around.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sliderule posted:

My money is on massively overinflated tyres.

That said apparently the US market Fiesta is noticeably worse than the rest of world one (which is every bit as good as a 2)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

no new updates about the abarth 500? Apparently its getting unveiled at 1:35pm pacific time today. The specs that have been released look pretty good. Cant wait till I can take one for a test drive.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

200hp from a production turbo 1.4 is pretty drat solid if you ask me.

That's what the 2.0T in the GTI does, right?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BonzoESC posted:

That's what the 2.0T in the GTI does, right?

210hp, 270hp in the R version.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The GTI is getting really close to 3000lbs, almost another half of a 500 tacked on.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

DJ Commie posted:

The GTI is getting really close to 3000lbs, almost another half of a 500 tacked on.

It's over 3,000 IIRC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

D C posted:

It's over 3,000 IIRC.

Mk 6 is 3034 lbs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Negromancer posted:

no new updates about the abarth 500? Apparently its getting unveiled at 1:35pm pacific time today. The specs that have been released look pretty good. Cant wait till I can take one for a test drive.

There's a bunch of poo poo out on all the usual suspects.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

I added a quick summary + links and photos on my blog. Basically 160hp, 170 torque, 2,533 curb weight, 5-speed manual transmission. Full spec sheet available here: http://www.media.chrysler.com/dcxms/assets/specs/12_Fiat500Abarth_Specs.pdf

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Gotta wait for the SS, bro.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What should Chrysler do?:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/11/fiat-500-yup-its-flopping

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
A negative Chrysler article from truth about cars?

SHOCKING!

How about we give the brand and the model a little time before we start throwing roses on the casket.

And let the Abarth come out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

They had a hard time initially getting the dealer network set up which contributed to why they were never going to hit the 50k target, but the declining monthly volume is somewhat worrying.

I am seeing more and more on the road but then again I live in an urban area.

edit: also the marketing disasterpiece that was hilarious too

Basically Chrysler has really hosed up the launch in general so I'm not sure how much of it is due to 'muricans don't want small cars and how much of it has to do with Chrysler peeing itself. (probably like 40/60, sales targets aren't that ambitious)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think it's far from over, but I think they need to continue to refine the marketing and get some people grassrooting the car for them. I really thought I would have seen a lot more of these sell in Boston, but they're still not that comon sightings.

• Locked thread