Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i'm sure that if admiral snuggles was driving another fiat 500 the person would have acknowledged him

like the issue isn't the weird nonexistent dyad that you posted, it's that people who buy a car for style reasons probably won't recognize that a fiat 75 is made by the same company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

el topo posted:

A Mini is a lot larger than the 500. Large enough to be useful.

I have both a Mini Cooper and a 500 and I can tell you that this is patently untrue. The 500 has way more space, enough so that I can fit my entire drumset in it (I can't with the Mini)

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
I've been agonizing over the 500 since it's US debut. I've test-driven about ten now.

I'm crazy in-love with what this car should be, but discouraged by what it actually is. Too soft, too heavy, and loaded with too many power options.

I go to the dealership ready to sign and drive away (pictured above is the exact car I want to buy), but the dest-drive makes me want to die. My loving Toyota Echo feels like a sports car when driven back-to-back against the 500.

gently caress each and every one of you who says the interiors are cheap. They're really nice for a $15k car and if they were any nicer, the loving thing would weigh 3,000lbs. Consumers like you are why there are no good cars left. Everything has to be loaded down with comfort bullshit and BigGulp cupholders in order for your fat rear end to buy something.

The Euro version of the nuovo 500 (1.2 engine) weighs 1,900lbs. I would kill to get one of those over here. Less comfortable, less soft, fewer cupholders, and more cranking of manual windows. <3

*edit*

FYI, there is a $500 discount being offered by Fiat dealers right now.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 19, 2011

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Don't say you want the 1.2 until you've driven one - I can guarantee you'll no longer want it once you've experienced just how slow it is.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
98hp from even the 1.4L is abysmal and it shows. Zero to sixty in ~11 seconds is actually some of the worst performance in the compact car segment, literally everything else outruns it. The Abarth might be more competitive, but it looks like they'll be charging Cooper S money for it. Why not just buy the Cooper?

If they had a +$3000 trim with the turbocharger things would be much different. But they forgot to read that part of the Mini playbook.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
I'm totally over the whole going fast thing. I just want a light weight car that is fun to toss around while zipping through the city.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

toaster_pastry posted:

I'm totally over the whole going fast thing. I just want a light weight car that is fun to toss around while zipping through the city.

There is a limit to that. The 8v 1.2 is just not a good engine in any way.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

There is a limit to that. The 8v 1.2 is just not a good engine in any way.

Well, it is pretty much unkillable.

I can't help but love your warped American sense of what constitutes "adequate acceleration". My car does 0-100kph in about 12 seconds. I have no problems keeping up with traffic.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

toaster_pastry posted:

What's wrong with the Mazda2?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

KozmoNaut posted:

I can't help but love your warped American sense of what constitutes "adequate acceleration". My car does 0-100kph in about 12 seconds. I have no problems keeping up with traffic.

It may seemed "warped", but a 0-60 time that slow would make it quite literally one of the slowest new cars on the road in the US. When even a base spec toyota corolla can do 0-60 in less than 8.5 seconds, 12 seconds is glacial.

That's about the same 0-60 as a Smart Fortwo which are basically traffic hazards on the highway.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Isnt an old miatas 0-60 like 9 or 10 seconds? Nobody hesitates buying that car.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

angryhampster posted:

What's wrong with the Mazda2?

Absolutely nothing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

KozmoNaut posted:

Absolutely nothing.

No 1.6L. :saddowns:

Jork Juggler
May 22, 2007
The engine that interests me the most for the 500 is the TwinAir, a 900cc 2cyl turbo. Probably too fussy for the US market, but reviews say it adds a lot of charm and enjoyment to simply puttering around town. Slower need not mean less fun.

bull3964 posted:

It may seemed "warped", but a 0-60 time that slow would make it quite literally one of the slowest new cars on the road in the US. When even a base spec toyota corolla can do 0-60 in less than 8.5 seconds, 12 seconds is glacial.

That's about the same 0-60 as a Smart Fortwo which are basically traffic hazards on the highway.

Americans are afraid to rev their cars over 3,000 RPM, so they need to have adequate acceleration well below the power peak. My car's 0-60 is around 10 seconds and I never come up short in urban highway traffic, even at less than 2/3 throttle. If I drove it any faster, which I could do, I would be sneaking up behind and beside people faster than they could see me do it.

I have been stuck behind V6 Altimas going 40 MPH on freeway onramps. Why did you buy a massively overpowered car that requires premium fuel just to become a roadblock? Most people rarely come close to utilizing their engine's potential.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm not American and have spent my fair share of time in slow cars (try a 1l auto Toyota Vitz our rental companies are so fond of, think 0-60 is over 13 seconds)

I would just never buy a car like that for my own usage, especially when the bigger engine options have no downsides and especially when you're used to much more power (which toaster_party will be given the North American Echo was a >100hp 1.5)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

No 1.6L. :saddowns:

No 2.3L turbo. :unsmigghh:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Jork Juggler posted:

Americans are afraid to rev their cars over 3,000 RPM, so they need to have adequate acceleration well below the power peak. My car's 0-60 is around 10 seconds and I never come up short in urban highway traffic, even at less than 2/3 throttle. If I drove it any faster, which I could do, I would be sneaking up behind and beside people faster than they could see me do it.

Be that as it may there is an absolute world of difference between 10s and high 12s 0-60

Even in Europe I can tell you I was much happier in a 130PS Megane diesel (0-60 in 9.5 or so) than a 105PS BMT Golf (about two seconds slower)

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

toaster_pastry posted:

I live in NYC and I drive a C-class with the 3.0L. To me, the power is adequate, but I wouldn't drive anything slower. Part of that is due to driving like a jackass but extra power is still invaluable for navigating through heavy traffic.

In the long term I do want to replace it with a smaller car so I can actually park it without stressing myself, hence the interest in the Fiat, but that would only be if the Abarth was a lower-priced alternative to the Cooper S... which isn't the case. Also, the lack of an automatic isn't a deal-breaker, but driving stick around here is no fun.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Actually I think the US model with a manual transmission would be a lot of fun in heavy traffic - even if its still slow its significantly less so and in my experience Fiats 16v models sound much better and are more willing to rev than the 8vs

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

dissss posted:

Don't say you want the 1.2 until you've driven one - I can guarantee you'll no longer want it once you've experienced just how slow it is.
I drove one with a 8v 1.2 for a week in Italy a few months ago and it was miserable. loving thing couldn't even get out of its own way, it was just plain awful to the point of being absolutely dangerous to drive.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

toaster_pastry posted:

I've been agonizing over the 500 since it's US debut. I've test-driven about ten now.

I'm crazy in-love with what this car should be, but discouraged by what it actually is. Too soft, too heavy, and loaded with too many power options.

I go to the dealership ready to sign and drive away (pictured above is the exact car I want to buy), but the dest-drive makes me want to die. My loving Toyota Echo feels like a sports car when driven back-to-back against the 500.

gently caress each and every one of you who says the interiors are cheap. They're really nice for a $15k car and if they were any nicer, the loving thing would weigh 3,000lbs. Consumers like you are why there are no good cars left. Everything has to be loaded down with comfort bullshit and BigGulp cupholders in order for your fat rear end to buy something.

The Euro version of the nuovo 500 (1.2 engine) weighs 1,900lbs. I would kill to get one of those over here. Less comfortable, less soft, fewer cupholders, and more cranking of manual windows. <3

*edit*

FYI, there is a $500 discount being offered by Fiat dealers right now.

You driving the auto? I find that my base 5spd pop is plenty fun to drive. Not enough power for the big hills and it breathes heavy over 80mph but as a city/ divided highway car it's great. I didn't care for the stock suspension at all but with a set of springs and new wheels it handles great. I went on a drive wit some local evo's and wrx's and a bike on a spirited drive in some twists and had no trouble keeping up and was running up on them in the turns with no problem. I just wouldn't pick it for interstate grinding.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 20, 2011

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

toaster_pastry posted:

gently caress each and every one of you who says the interiors are cheap. They're really nice for a $15k car and if they were any nicer, the loving thing would weigh 3,000lbs. Consumers like you are why there are no good cars left. Everything has to be loaded down with comfort bullshit and BigGulp cupholders in order for your fat rear end to buy something. \
Go sit in Honda Fit and Mazda2 and get back to me about that interior. And when you're in the Fiat again, start pressing your thumb on random pieces of dashboard and watch is bend. They didn't even bother reinforcing the plastic skin, it's as thin and hollow as fisher price toys. I bet dollars to donuts that poo poo will start breaking and falling off that interior in record time.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Holdbrooks posted:

You driving the auto? I find that my base 5spd pop is plenty fun to drive. Not enough power for the big hills and it breathes heavy over 80mph but as a city/ divided highway car it's great. I didn't care for the stock suspension at all but with a set of springs and new wheels it handles great. I went on a drive wit some local evo's and wrx's and a bike on a spirited drive in some twists and had no trouble keeping up and was running up on them in the turns with no problem. I just wouldn't pick it for interstate grinding.

Sounds like lovely Evo and WRX drivers, it has like half the power/weight ratio of a warmed over turbo awd car. Also neither of those are equipped with tiny all-seasons.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
I have a dinky Mazda2, and the power is more than adequate to pull ahead of anyone I care to during normal city and highway driving. It is a manual, and it is geared for acceleration and not economy (which means the engine is buzzing along at highway speeds). More power is always nice, but it's silly to call any of these cars undriveable or unsafe.

That said, we decided that the 2 was a better buy than the 500. More room, more practical, better driving position, nimbler feeling and more fun to drive. The wife thinks its just as cute, too, with the Mazda grin. I hope the Fiat does well, it's an interesting car and I want to see Fiat return to the US with some more models; but I don't think it's the best car in the segment for most buyers. The Mazda is a better choice for someone wanting a sportier subcompact, the Fit is more versatile, the Fiesta has better features, and if you just want cheap, you can get an Aveo. The Fiat has a certain style, I give it that.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The Aveo isn't around anymore, it's been replaced with the Sonic, which is more expensive. That offers more torque then anything else, 0-60 in 8.8 seconds with the 1.4L turbo. It's a shame that it looks stupid as hell. Still an extremely good effort for something that'll most likely end up a rental most of the time.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

grover posted:

I drove one with a 8v 1.2 for a week in Italy a few months ago and it was miserable. loving thing couldn't even get out of its own way, it was just plain awful to the point of being absolutely dangerous to drive.

Ah yes, but did you drive it like an American, or like an Italian? Cos if you were driving it like an Italian, it would be fast enough :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NOTinuyasha posted:

I live in NYC and I drive a C-class with the 3.0L. To me, the power is adequate, but I wouldn't drive anything slower. Part of that is due to driving like a jackass but extra power is still invaluable for navigating through heavy traffic.

Oddly enough, I find that my little dinky 70hp diesel Panda works best in heavy traffic. Put on the super light city steering, palm the wheel, stay in 2nd gear and mash the go pedal. It fits in every gap and its lightness combined with the responsiveness of a manual gearbox makes it an absolute joy driving like an Italian in heavy traffic.

You Am I posted:

Ah yes, but did you drive it like an American, or like an Italian? Cos if you were driving it like an Italian, it would be fast enough :)

The redline is just a polite suggestion, the rev limiter is where the real action is. Unless you're going down a steep hill, then that's optional as well :)

grainofsand
Feb 20, 2008

NOTinuyasha posted:

In the long term I do want to replace it with a smaller car so I can actually park it without stressing myself, hence the interest in the Fiat, but that would only be if the Abarth was a lower-priced alternative to the Cooper S... which isn't the case. Also, the lack of an automatic isn't a deal-breaker, but driving stick around here is no fun.

He who is tired of driving stick, is tired of life.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

You Am I posted:

I very much enjoy driving like an Italian in Italy, especially Sicily; I wish I was able to drive like that in the US, but would get killed or arrested if I tried! Unless by "driving like an Italian", you mean "tooling along the autostrade in the slow lane at 80kph", which I didn't do, but seemed to be popular for many, and is apparently the design point for this car. Pretty much the only way I drove this car was with my foot smashed to the floor, rolling through the gears at red-line. Which was fine for driving around parking lots and all, but just dangerously slow trying to pull out into traffic. Italy is fun with the right car, but this wasn't it.

grover fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 20, 2011

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Driving like an Italian means "red-line the poo poo out of this engine because you will probably die before it does"

I don't understand why everyone wants this car to be a Ferrari or w/e when it's really a much cooler Fiesta -- it's for showing off in cities, not flooring it to get out of whatever suburban hellhole you're so eager to leave

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 25, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Go sit in Honda Fit and Mazda2 and get back to me about that interior. And when you're in the Fiat again, start pressing your thumb on random pieces of dashboard and watch is bend. They didn't even bother reinforcing the plastic skin, it's as thin and hollow as fisher price toys. I bet dollars to donuts that poo poo will start breaking and falling off that interior in record time.

who the gently caress goes around poking the dashboard on cars besides car mags

like i am sure my car has a wonderful soft touch reinforced teutonic masterpiece dashboard but it doesn't have any impact on me whatsoever, who cares?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
So it's a total failure, production has slowed and it's already becoming a popular rental.

The Abarth is coming next summer, and in theory there will eventually be a '500T'. I doubt that'll do much to help sales at this point. I'm sure the 500 will stick around for a long time to come though, considering the PT Cruiser lasted 10 years...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

who the gently caress goes around poking the dashboard on cars besides car mags

like i am sure my car has a wonderful soft touch reinforced teutonic masterpiece dashboard but it doesn't have any impact on me whatsoever, who cares?
I do. And guess what? I didn't buy it. Not because of the dashboard, but because it's an underwhelming car in more ways that one, when compared to direct competition. And according to the sales figures, other people didn't buy it either.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

NOTinuyasha posted:

So it's a total failure, production has slowed and it's already becoming a popular rental.

The Abarth is coming next summer, and in theory there will eventually be a '500T'. I doubt that'll do much to help sales at this point. I'm sure the 500 will stick around for a long time to come though, considering the PT Cruiser lasted 10 years...

The PT Cruiser was horrible but it sold like gangbusters, though. You still see them all over the place and they're a really popular used car because they depreciate to pennies on the dollar, as if they were a loving 7-series or something. They're the cockroaches of the road.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitrox posted:

I do. And guess what? I didn't buy it. Not because of the dashboard, but because it's an underwhelming car in more ways that one, when compared to direct competition. And according to the sales figures, other people didn't buy it either.

there's plenty to not like about the 500 but "when i touch the dashboard it feels cheap" is stupid as poo poo

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's plenty to not like about the 500 but "when i touch the dashboard it feels cheap" is stupid as poo poo

You're right, it's just an appliance after all. Why did you pay ten dollars to post here?

darkestofpiggers
Nov 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Had a chance to finally check one of these out. This thing is just slow. You really have to struggle to get up to 50mph. Merging kind of feels dangerous.

Throwing a turbo on it would of made it an exciting car

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

darkestofpiggers posted:

Had a chance to finally check one of these out. This thing is just slow. You really have to struggle to get up to 50mph. Merging kind of feels dangerous.

Throwing a turbo on it would of made it an exciting car

What do you usually drive? It's not that slow :)

darkestofpiggers
Nov 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

KozmoNaut posted:

What do you usually drive? It's not that slow :)

I drive 2006 93 right now but its also possible i am just used to that. for all the poo poo i reaad about the interior. it was not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The gulf in percieved quality across continents is just mind-boggling. I had one for a rental the other day, and it was a loving awesome car for London.

• Locked thread