Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Got a Mazda2 yesterday. It owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

KozmoNaut posted:

I had to test it out because I never ever do it (loldiesel), but I can definitely left-foot brake in my Panda without the throttle cutting out.

Take that as you will, who knows how they changed the ECU for the 500.

I tried this on the way home and the us 500 will let you apply both as well.

Holdbrooks fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 22, 2012

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Phone posted:

Got a Mazda2 yesterday. It owns.

I'd much rather have a Mazda2 than either a Mini or a 500, and I actually own a Cooper S.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nodoze posted:

I'd much rather have a Mazda2 than either a Mini or a 500, and I actually own a Cooper S.

If there was a Mazdaspeed 2, I'd agree with you so much.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

A turbo mazda2 would be awesome, I am surprised there aren't any kits out yet (unless I have missed the release since I last looked)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's some sketchy rear end guy in TX doing something, and in Japan there's a company that made a Rotrex kit that's good for an extra 50-60whp with running another ECU in parallel. The problem I'm having is that I know the Hawk shape and thickness for the front pads, it's just that I can't find any in the right compound.

I'm definitely going to do a season of autocross in it, and it looks like I might be going up to VIR in April with it. Gotta hit that 115mph top speed, man.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

If there was a Mazdaspeed2, I would be camping at a goddamn dealership until they delivered it. One was built for SEMA using the 263hp 2.3L DISI from the Mazdaspeed3/6. Instant 1000lb weight reduction on the MS3? :flashfap:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The basic Mazda2 is ~550lbs lighter than the 3.

If you used the same drive train in both cars the difference will be much less.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

dissss posted:

The basic Mazda2 is ~550lbs lighter than the 3.

If you used the same drive train in both cars the difference will be much less.

Mazda2: 2306
Mazdaregular3: 2896
Mazdaspeed3: 3281

Uh....

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Phone posted:

Mazda2: 2306
Mazdaspeed3: 3281

Uh....

My point is once you cram all the Mazdaspeed bits into the 2 chassis you aren't going to see anything like that difference.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The weight difference between the regular 3 and the Speed3 is 400lbs, so using theorycrafting: The theoretical Speed2 would be 700lbs lighter than the Speed3.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Nodoze posted:

I own a 2 and a Cooper S. There are definitely ways in which I prefer the 2, even though I adore the Cooper.

In 500 news, my local dealer (Costa Mesa, CA) is keeping their first Abarth as a demo car. They are going to have it in early March for test drives. I'm kind of conflicted since I've grown to love the 2 so much, but every time I see a picture of an Abarth, I think how could I not get one of those?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

hedge posted:

I own a 2 and a Cooper S. There are definitely ways in which I prefer the 2, even though I adore the Cooper.

Despite owning one, I don't really like Minis that much anymore. The best thing about it is the floor mounted gas pedal

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

hedge posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Just curious how they compare.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

leica posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Just curious how they compare.
The 2 is better because:
- Shift linkage
- Steering feel
- No torque steer
- No bump steer
- Better ride (15" steel wheels vs. 17" alloys with "sport" suspension)
- More neutral handling

The Cooper S is better because:
- Driving position (the 2 is kind of awkward, but not nearly as bad as the 500)
- Gearing (6-speed so there isn't a humongous gap between 1st and 2nd)
- More direct clutch engagement
- Power, obviously
- Lift off oversteer :woop:
- Less body roll
- Highway stability
- Generally more substantial feel
- Features, although to be fair my Cooper S cost more than double what I paid for the 2

This sums up my feelings on the 2 pretty well (warning: The Truth About Cars).

quote:

the Mazda2 accelerates like a small dog attached to a fat person by one of those retractable leads. With only 100hp on tap and peak torque coming in at lofty 4000 rpm, the ’2 was never going to be a barn burner. Still, as the hatch buzzes energetically off the line in first gear, you can’t help thinking, “Well, it is pretty light…” And then you shift into second and fall into a power vacuum from which even the most energetic flooring provides only a molasses-slow escape.

However, once the yappy terrier finally overcomes the initial inertia of Obesity McButterpants, you discover that there’s a simple solution to the limited motivating power of the 1.5L. Flog the absolute bejesus out of the thing.

Here then, the Mazda2 transforms into the proverbial Great Little Car. The steering is so quick, light and responsive that even though the 100hp under your foot is a bit asthmatic from a dead stop, the ’2 is all too eager to ‘scuse-me-pardon-me its way through lumbering traffic like a meerkat jumping the queue for the Ark.

TheGoatTrick fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 22, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

dissss posted:

My point is once you cram all the Mazdaspeed bits into the 2 chassis you aren't going to see anything like that difference.

Supposedly the SEMA car kept curb weight very close to factory Mazda2 levels, but I suspect they may have done that by gutting the interior.

I still say the 2 I test-drove reminded me of why I fell in love with the Miata in the first place, but without the things that would eventually tire me (super cramped interior, convertible top).

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

hedge posted:

The 2 is better because:
- Shift linkage
- Steering feel
- No torque steer
- No bump steer
- Better ride (15" steel wheels vs. 17" alloys with "sport" suspension)
- More neutral handling

The Cooper S is better because:
- Driving position (the 2 is kind of awkward, but not nearly as bad as the 500)
- Gearing (6-speed so there isn't a humongous gap between 1st and 2nd)
- More direct clutch engagement
- Power, obviously
- Lift off oversteer :woop:
- Less body roll
- Highway stability
- Generally more substantial feel
- Features, although to be fair my Cooper S cost more than double what I paid for the 2

This sums up my feelings on the 2 pretty well (warning: The Truth About Cars).

I was going to say the Mini doesn't have snap oversteer but evidently it does. I've never had it happen to me. Isn't this a bad thing for the car to have?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I would never have thought the 2 had better steering feel than a Mini. Interesting and encouraging. The 2 is the first new car I have actually wanted in a long time, but it is impossible for me to justify buying one new. Gonna have to wait at least five years or more until the prices come down on them :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nodoze posted:

I was going to say the Mini doesn't have snap oversteer but evidently it does. I've never had it happen to me. Isn't this a bad thing for the car to have?

Only if you have no idea it's there and do something stupid to cause it.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Nodoze posted:

It's not like lifting mid corner will put you sideways or anything. If you're going wide in a corner you can basically just use the throttle to make minor corrections. Or larger corrections in my case, since I have a 22 mm rear sway bar.

Leica, both cars have electric power steering. But Mazda has figured it out (see RX8) and BMW hasn't (see current 5-series). I'm sure that the lighter wheel/tire combo on the Mazda helps too.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

hedge posted:

It's not like lifting mid corner will put you sideways or anything. If you're going wide in a corner you can basically just use the throttle to make minor corrections. Or larger corrections in my case, since I have a 22 mm rear sway bar.

Leica, both cars have electric power steering. But Mazda has figured it out (see RX8) and BMW hasn't (see current 5-series). I'm sure that the lighter wheel/tire combo on the Mazda helps too.

I have a 22m rear sway bar too, do you have an R53?

The mini has a notorious problem with the power steering fan failing too, which will kill the pump eventually. The steering feel is alright, but the newer Mazda's I have driven feel really nice

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Nodoze posted:

I have a 22m rear sway bar too, do you have an R53?

The mini has a notorious problem with the power steering fan failing too, which will kill the pump eventually. The steering feel is alright, but the newer Mazda's I have driven feel really nice
I have an R55 Clubman. I know the R56 family of cars responds really well to a larger rear sway bar but the R53 should be the same. I think the only difference between our rear suspensions is aluminum trailing arms instead of steel, but that should just be a weight savings thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Even the Mazda2 with the 2.0L skyactiv would be pretty rockin

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Even the Mazda2 with the 2.0L skyactiv would be pretty rockin

Sort of like the old Fiesta RS, then. That was a pretty cool car, 150hp 2.0L in a tiny hatchback equals great fun.

Although a turbo 1.6L with the same power output would be much more likely, I think.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I dunno, a Skyactiv would fit with their push on everything else. More (or at least same as the 100hp lump) fuel economy and 60% more power? Sign me up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Have you guys seen the new Abarth commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjYxE2VD7VE

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Too much CG. They should have done it for real, even if it cost them a couple of cars and some set decoration.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Too much CG. They should have done it for real, even if it cost them a couple of cars and some set decoration.

They should have been more accurate and had Charlie banging a hooker while snorting blow off of the rear view mirror.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the hell is going on with Sheen's hair?

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
I was talking with a dealer and they mentioned the Abarth would be about 30K up here in Canada.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jay-Zeus posted:

I was talking with a dealer and they mentioned the Abarth would be about 30K up here in Canada.

Ouch.

Abarth or Toyobaru? Not the toughest choice in the world.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That ad is loving pathetic. It looks like they hired some high school AV room kid to make it.

To go from their awesome commercial with the hot chick to this? That's kinda embarrassing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think there is some misunderstanding here? The Sheen ad is the one that they ended up NOT running - it was for the superbowl, they ran the other one with the girl instead. They're just releasing it now as sort of bonus youtube material, right?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Jalopnik has driven the US spec Abarth. 5 speed manual is the only trans available, thank god.

Engine bay. Either the engine is really small or the battery really big.

As an aside I hope they start adappting the Multiair technology to Chrysler's OHV engines soon, as it seems to be a perfect fit for them. Multiair Viper would be pretty sweet.

:3:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

KozmoNaut posted:

Ouch.

Abarth or Toyobaru? Not the toughest choice in the world.

I'm trying to make the exact same decision. I am kinda leaning towards the Abarth since I have a feeling insurance is going to be insane for the toybaru and I don't want to be associated with the people who are probably going to be the prime demographic for it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Negromancer posted:

I'm trying to make the exact same decision. I am kinda leaning towards the Abarth since I have a feeling insurance is going to be insane for the toybaru and I don't want to be associated with the people who are probably going to be the prime demographic for it.

Don't.

As much as I love small Fiats and drive a platform-mate of the 500 myself, the Abarth is still just a tarted-up FWD hatchback with a really harsh suspension setup.

The Toyobaru is built from the ground up to be low-cost RWD sports car that is hella fun to drive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Drive em both, buy whatever you want.

edit: 22K US plus destination is pretty decent. Cooper S is 23,8 plus destination so cooper's about 8% more expensive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 4, 2012

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't.

As much as I love small Fiats and drive a platform-mate of the 500 myself, the Abarth is still just a tarted-up FWD hatchback with a really harsh suspension setup.

The Toyobaru is built from the ground up to be low-cost RWD sports car that is hella fun to drive.
The only way to resolve this is to bring out your Subaru demonstrator and Fiat demonstrator to a quiet country road and see which one can get away from the other.

Actually, I would sodding love to see that as a group test. All the cars on that list in the Toyobaru thread doing a wheel-to-wheel race around a circuit.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

InitialDave posted:

The only way to resolve this is to bring out your Subaru demonstrator and Fiat demonstrator to a quiet country road and see which one can get away from the other.

Actually, I would sodding love to see that as a group test. All the cars on that list in the Toyobaru thread doing a wheel-to-wheel race around a circuit.

Road and Track does poo poo like that sometimes...not wheel-to-wheel, but lap times with times for different track sections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jesus that engine bay, I would not want to be working on that thing

• Locked thread