Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VideoTapir posted:

Road and Track does poo poo like that sometimes...not wheel-to-wheel, but lap times with times for different track sections.
Well that's no fun. I want to see some kind of BTCC-style chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I was thinking of trading in my current car for a new one, and decided to go check this car out because it looked like a neat little car.

The first thing I noticed when I sat inside was that I had plenty of leg room, and didn't feel to cramped, that is until the dealership sales guy sat in the passenger seat, and then I did feel extremely cramped. He was just a little Asian guy and wasn't bulky or broad shouldered, and our arms hit the entire test drive. I suppose I could maybe live with that, but it was a little irritating.

Driving around town it was a blast. The manual transmission shifted well, and it felt like I had plenty of power getting around. Unfortunately as soon as I hit the freeway that all went away, because then it felt like I couldn't get up to speed nearly fast enough. At one point I put the pedal all the way to the floor and was greeted by....absolutely nothing. I didn't even get the slightest surge in power, it simply just kept going along at its snails pace. I was having a hell of a time getting it up to 70 MPH on a flat stretch of highway. I can only imagine how this thing would perform on a hill of any substantial incline.

However even though it is a gutless and cramped car, I still rather like it. I enjoy the styling immensely, both the exterior and especially the interior. I like the retro look of the dash and buttons, and really enjoyed the single gauge cluster that Fiat has devised.

I would really like to get one of these things, because I could overlook the interior size issue, but I just can't overlook the extreme lack of power. If I only drove around town then this would be the perfect car, but I get on the freeway and travel to the bay area at least twice a month, and I can't see this car driving on the mountain passes very well. As it is my current car, which is more powerful, even has issues on some of the grades, I can only imagine that this car would be crawling trying to get up it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go test drive a Mazda2 and report back.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Porkchop Express posted:

I can't see this car driving on the mountain passes very well. As it is my current car, which is more powerful, even has issues on some of the grades, I can only imagine that this car would be crawling trying to get up it.

Just needs more revs - little Fiat motors are designed to be operated bouncing off the rev limiter.

Remember the US spec model is a comparatively powerful version.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I don't really get the no power thing - I mean yeah, it's a 100 HP car, it ain't gonna be fast, but I never had an issue with the one I borrowed for two weeks. Of course, I don't think I used fifth gear ever.

It's a car that's designed such that in order to get any performance out of it at all, you have to beat the poo poo out of it. I feel like most people driving the car don't really understand that. You're not going to be going 70 in fifth and mash the gas and get anything out of it. You gotta drop at least one gear.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

Engine bay. Either the engine is really small or the battery really big.

That seems about right. For comparison here's my Yaris 1.5l engine and battery.

I'm still on the fence about the car. A big part of me is waiting to see about the possibility of an Abarth Venom kit that would supposedly boost power output to almost 200 hp. In a car that size I would be giddy.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

You Am I posted:

Jesus that engine bay, I would not want to be working on that thing

Haynes Manual posted:

Change Air Filter

step 1: remove engine.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're not going to be going 70 in fifth and mash the gas and get anything out of it. You gotta drop at least one gear.

That's the thing though, I WAS in fourth gear when I was attempting to get it up to 70! I mean I don't expect this car to set any land-speed records, but it would be nice if it actually got to a practical highway speed. Granted getting to test it for about a mile on the freeway isn't the most comprehensive of tests, but I would think it could at least get up to freeway speeds in a straight/flat mile long stretch of road.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's comparable to the Mazda2 in that respect. Doing anything on the highway? Drop it into third. That engine's not doing anything fast below 4500 RPM on the highway.

Of course it's just an excuse to make the car sound badass as you do absolutely sweet gently caress all.

*Rev-match* *WOT* *Everyone stares as you slowly begin to accelerate*

Yaaaay I'm a race car driver vrooom vrooom.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I wish they would sell the Twinair 2 cyl turbo over here too. 0-60 would be the most glorious sounding 11 seconds ever.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Change Air Filter

step 1: remove engine.

So just like the Porsche 911?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sliderule posted:

It's comparable to the Mazda2 in that respect. Doing anything on the highway? Drop it into third. That engine's not doing anything fast below 4500 RPM on the highway.

This is pretty much any small car. My mums Swift Sport (with the big 125hp 1.6) is exactly the same way, no acceleration in 5th or even 4th.

Actually makes me miss my old B16a Integra - that had nothing below about 5500rpm

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Necro'ing this thread because I happen to know someone who just bought a 500. A poster from the very beginning of this thread, too!

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

Das Volk posted:

Necro'ing this thread because I happen to know someone who just bought a 500. A poster from the very beginning of this thread, too!

I don't know what you're talking about.

loving unreliable Subaru caused me to do this... 2012 base model "Pop". 5-speed, no options, and poverty-spec spare tire delete. 2,365 lbs.

Here's the build spec sheet if anyone is curious: http://goo.gl/ROAtQ

Notes from a buyer:

- Fiat did away with the free maintenance as of 1/1/12 and replaced it with a $500 rebate or 0% financing. I took the 0% for 60 months with no money down because it's stupid to do anything other than this. My cash stays invested.

- Clutch pedal is numb as gently caress. No feel. This must be fixed, even if I have to tear apart the car to figure out how.

- Fumes from new car plastic interiors are loving overwhelming. I bet that I have have ten types of cancer from breathing this poo poo and I'm seriously typing this from my bed because it made my head hurt enough to require a nap.

- Rear ride hight is abnormally high. Need to get some springs for this guy asap.

- In a way the car is terrible. Soft, numb, and designed for old women to drive. That being said, I love it and want to hug it every time I look at it. Great warranty (50k/48months), great build quality, nicely equipped, and still one of the lightest weight cars on the market (my ultimate shopping criteria). I have no regrets and look forward to seeing how much better the car will be with some proper suspension under it. I will modify the clutch hydraulics and I will disable the electronic power steering. I'm obviously a strange guy.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 31, 2012

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
You even bought it in seafoam green :cry:

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

toaster_pastry posted:

- Fiat did away with the free maintenance as of 1/1/12 and replaced it with a $500 rebate or 0% financing. I took the 0% for 60 months with no money down because it's stupid to do anything other than this. My cash stays invested.

In addition to the sweet financing, my local dealer is offering $2k of all cars. So a base car is $14k. It's on their website; you don't even have to negotiate.

Also, that is the best color.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

coolskillrex remix posted:

You even bought it in seafoam green :cry:

gently caress yes I did. You act like there is any other color worth considering. :confused:

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

toaster_pastry posted:

gently caress yes I did. You act like there is any other color worth considering. :confused:

Some black or gunmetal wheels would look awesome on that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What did you cross shop against the Fiat? I wanted to like it, but it just feels so bad.

Good on the 0% for 60 months, though.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I saw and heard my first Abarth last night on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. It was black with red decals and already had a modified exhaust. It was LOUD and throaty, and actually sounded pretty good. It was funny seeing so much noise coming from such a tiny car though. It will probably be pretty easy to get over the 200hp mark with aftermarket parts, especially with its forged internals. That could be a pretty fun car.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

BoostCreep posted:

I saw and heard my first Abarth last night on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood. It was black with red decals and already had a modified exhaust. It was LOUD and throaty, and actually sounded pretty good.
Are you sure it wasn't the factory exhaust? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Fd47g1PPU

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

hedge posted:

Are you sure it wasn't the factory exhaust? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Fd47g1PPU

WOW! You're right. Unreal that it comes that way from the factory. It sounded amazing echoing off the buildings. Impressive. Sort of sounds like a stock Neon SRT-4 exhaust (which is good).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

toaster_pastry posted:

- Clutch pedal is numb as gently caress. No feel. This must be fixed, even if I have to tear apart the car to figure out how.

- Fumes from new car plastic interiors are loving overwhelming. I bet that I have have ten types of cancer from breathing this poo poo and I'm seriously typing this from my bed because it made my head hurt enough to require a nap.

- Rear ride hight is abnormally high. Need to get some springs for this guy asap.

- In a way the car is terrible. Soft, numb, and designed for old women to drive. That being said, I love it and want to hug it every time I look at it. Great warranty (50k/48months), great build quality, nicely equipped, and still one of the lightest weight cars on the market (my ultimate shopping criteria). I have no regrets and look forward to seeing how much better the car will be with some proper suspension under it. I will modify the clutch hydraulics and I will disable the electronic power steering. I'm obviously a strange guy.

I have a feeling you won't be able to get any additional feel from the clutch, short of replacing both the master and slave cylinders and even then, I'm not sure. But then again, my Fiat has a cable clutch, so what do I know v:shobon:v

New car fumes are crazy, make sure you wash the windows on the inside at least once a month for the first 6 months or so, they get this really light greasy film that just fogs up like you wouldn't believe. Ah, the joys of new car ownership.

Make sure to have a look underneath before you order any kind of suspension mod. If it's anything like the euro-spec models, there is not much suspension travel to work with and lowering it means making it unnecessarily hard and uncomfortable, like the Panda 100HP.

For proper suspension, again if it's anything like the euro-spec, the springs are good, but the dampers are a bit iffy, it's a bit under-dampened. You can get Koni dampers for it, which should sort it out nicely.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but disabling the electric power steering will make the steering REALLY loving hard, as in you will be unable to parallel park unless you physically suspend yourself and all your bodyweight from the wheel to turn it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 31, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KozmoNaut posted:

Make sure to have a look underneath before you order any kind of suspension mod. If it's anything like the euro-spec models, there is not much suspension travel to work with and lowering it means making it unnecessarily hard and uncomfortable, like the Panda 100HP.

Holdbrooks lowered his and made it look nice. I can't remember if he was complaining about constant bottoming out afterwards.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I won't fill this thread with pics of Abarths to taunt you.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Right now on the Canadian Fiat site the base model 500 starts at 13,495... That's that first time I've ever seen a US car cost more than up here. Here's hoping the Abarth sits at 20K.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer
These seem to be really popular in the Houston area, or at least my part of town. I just saw three today in under an hour of errand-running, so this is a pretty solid scientifically-reached assertion. They're cute!

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

hedge posted:

Holy poo poo, that sounds perfect :aaa:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Jay-Zeus posted:

Right now on the Canadian Fiat site the base model 500 starts at 13,495... That's that first time I've ever seen a US car cost more than up here. Here's hoping the Abarth sits at 20K.

Should be close to that, they have the US price announced as starting at 22k. They also have the abarth in the build your car section of the site, and spec'ed out how I want it is right around 24k. Has anyone heard when the dealers will be getting them in stock? I really want to test drive one to see if I am really gonna buy one.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Negromancer posted:

Has anyone heard when the dealers will be getting them in stock? I really want to test drive one to see if I am really gonna buy one.
First deliveries should start arriving in a 3-4 weeks, according to the dealer in Scottsdale I talked to yesterday. Pre-order deposits also seem to have exceeded Fiat's original allocation. Said Scottsdale dealer is officially getting allocated 40 cars for all of 2012 and all have been spoken for. Manager said they've taken deposits on 50+ (and counting) in hopes Fiat will up production.

toaster_pastry posted:

-Do not buy the sport package. It's not worth the money for some marginally-stiffer springs and shocks. You'd be better off buying the base model, putting some proper aftermarket suspension on it, and picking your own sporty wheels from tirerack.com. The only thing you're missing at that point is the sports seats and let me tell you; they're not very sporty.
I'd even say the 16"+ sport wheels don't have enough tire sidewall, which just makes things worse. I'm seriously thinking of picking up an Abarth and equipping it with the base model's 15" wheels, assuming they fit over the brake calipers. I may even do steel rims for the lulz factor.

On the parts front, looks like Koni now has dampers and sports kit entries in their catalog for the 500.

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 1, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

toaster_pastry posted:

The brown is cool as heck too.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I think the OD green looks good, but I haven't seen it in person yet.

gizmojumpjet posted:

These seem to be really popular in the Houston area, or at least my part of town. I just saw three today in under an hour of errand-running, so this is a pretty solid scientifically-reached assertion. They're cute!

Yeah they've been popping up more and more inside the loop.

Gonna go over to that Dodge dealership by Ikea next week to check out the Abarth, they said they were getting some last time I checked.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I imagine the current :derp: about GAS PRICES will help sales. They did like 3300 in March, which is a traditionally bad sales month.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Just rented one of these for a week while on travel, so I had a good chance to compare to my Mazda 2. The 500 is oddly a better highway machine--the ride is smoother, and despite the small size it feels planted at highway speeds. The interior is very nicely styled, but a bit cheap feeling and the cupholders are garbage. The Fiat has a USB jack in addition to the Aux jack, unlike the Mazda, although I don't feel that the glovebox was the best place to put them. The Fiat also has a driver's side armrest, map lights, and garment hooks in the rear seats--all stuff I wish the Mazda 2 came with. I do like the gauge cluster in the 500, although it's a little harder to read than the more conventional one in the 2. The Fiat's rear seats are next to useless, and the hatch of the Fiat with the seats down held about as much luggage as the Mazda with the rear seats up. The Mazda 2 is a more practical vehicle, unless parking space is at a high premium. But it's a more spartan ride than the Fiat 500.

There's less road noise in the 500, but the engine is louder during cruise. The car we rented, with hardly 15 miles on the clock, had a loose heat shield or something, which caused some extra racket during acceleration--but I'd call that a fluke. The car felt a bit pokey during acceleration, but I blame that on the automatic transmission in the 500, whereas I have a manual in the 2. The Mazda handles better during cornering, has lighter but precise steering with better road feel, seemingly less roll and is much more fun to drive near the limits.

Anyway, I'm glad I bought the Mazda 2, but I totally understand why someone else would pick the Fiat 500. It's a stylish car with a fancier, but more cramped interior. Moreover it's a more sedate ride, and the best small car I've driven when you're just looking to put some highway behind you, despite it's city sizing. I think the Mazda 2 is much more fun to drive, but I realize that's a low priority for most.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tetraptous posted:

The 500 is oddly a better highway machine--the ride is smoother, and despite the small size it feels planted at highway speeds.
Hmm, that doesn't speak well for the 2; I thought the 500 was floaty and short wheelbase-y on the highway.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, that doesn't speak well for the 2; I thought the 500 was floaty and short wheelbase-y on the highway.
I commute 50+ miles each day by highway and I think the 2 is pretty good. It's stable and reasonably comfortable for its size.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

kimbo305 posted:

The only time I've thought that the Mazda2 didn't feel planted was on the track. Lifting the inside rear wheel mid-corner is exciting, but you have to learn to expect it. Braking down from 100mph got a bit sketchy because there's no weight in the rear of the car.

Tetraptous pretty much nailed it on the head for me. The one thing that he didn't comment on was the atrocious B-pillar plastic in the 500.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phone posted:

Braking down from 100mph got a bit sketchy because there's no weight in the rear of the car.

Pretty much any small car does this. The Panda (and I assume the 500) seriously feels like the back is going to lift at any moment under hard braking, even worse if you spring for the diesel which makes it even more nose-heavy.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I wonder what an Italian would say about it going light under braking. This Abarth esseesse looked prepared for lack of rear grip at speed:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thats ridiculous. Look at the rim size. That car should really have 14 inch wheels. Marketing has done some bad things to new cars :-/

• Locked thread