Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Eisenwald has 34 hours left and it doesn't seem like they're going to hit more than one stretch goal. I wish it were a Grim Dawn situation where they'd hit all of them - they all sound really good. I wonder why this Kickstarter isn't as popular as some other ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Star Guarded posted:

Eisenwald has 34 hours left and it doesn't seem like they're going to hit more than one stretch goal. I wish it were a Grim Dawn situation where they'd hit all of them - they all sound really good. I wonder why this Kickstarter isn't as popular as some other ones.

Yeah, I was just looking at their kicktraq, and even if their last 24 hours brings in as much as their two highest cash days put together they'll wind up well below 100K.

On the other hand, they seem well placed to nail 75K. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but they seem like the sorts of guys who might make those extra features down the road anyway, and put them out as DLC or in an expansion pack or something.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Eisenwald is a very different position than Grim Dawn. We are in the middle of Diablo 3 fever, pro or anti, lots of people's feelings about D3 influece their participation in the Grim Dawn KS. Add in that lots of people liked Titan Quest and it's not hard to see how Grim Dawn did so well.

Eisenwald comes from some unknown guys. There's no game like it at the moment so people can't say "hey, I'll play this after X" or "I'll play this instead of X". It's doing well, but it's just in a different spot when it comes to get funding.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Star Guarded posted:

Couple of reasons, I imagine. They're not generally well-known developers who'd previously worked on a reasonably popular game prior to this. They don't speak English as their first language, but their pitch video is in un-subtitled English and it can be a little tricky to understand what they're saying at times. You can get that information from reading the Kickstarter, but a lot of people initially just watch the video at the top. Also, visually there's nothing particularly unique about the graphics or art style that distinguishes it from other games. So it was something of a tougher sell for many. Luckily, it met its goal. If I'm reading the stretch goals right, I think they have a good shot of getting two of them.

Man. The more I look at Kicktraq, the more I feel sort of dismayed. There's no more perfect encapsulation of Internet news cycle interest, as the charts demonstrate direct causation of funding spikes by blog/gaming news site coverage. Success or failure of a Kickstarter's funding hinges primarily, if not ENTIRELY, on whether or not mainstream games media sites like Kotaku/RPS/etc will link to you favorably. Starlight Inception's is the best example. There were more backers in that one day it got the post about it than in the over 2 weeks of "spread the word, guys!" All the grassroots stuff like Twitter, Facebook, and what have you is completely subservient to the yay or nay from the mainstream gaming media...and they know it.

Part of the initial appeal of the Kickstarter system in my mind was that it represented a break away from the "you need the news and review sites to say good things about you or else you're sunk" model that Metacritic embodies. But it seems we're still kind of there in a way. :(

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 20, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I decided to cancel on Carmageddon. It goes against my buying habits to order Steam games over $10. I would drop $25 if it was DRM-free like all the other Kickstarter games I patronized. I consider paying more to be worth having to quickly play a game, no matter what.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

snipermonkey posted:

Wasn't Conquest pretty obscure, so not much name recognition and Battle Chess is still a chess game. No amount of funny animation is going to make people play chess or buy a chess videogame. I think the first Battle Chess was popular because at the time it was novel.
At first I was all "pfft, looks like someone does not know his gaming history!" but yeah, I completely agree. Battle Chess, when it came out, was a game with pretty amazing graphics and animation for the time. It is hard to even understand this now, but there were so few games available that looked good to non-hardcore gamers at the time that they probably sold a huge number just for the "maybe I can even get my non-gaming spouse/parents/whatever to play with me!" factor.

Or, you know, I could be wrong. I never bought another chess game after Sargon II. No, I am not that old, since apparently that came out in 1979. It was really hard to find Atari 800XL games by the late 1980s :(

Saoshyant posted:

Eisenwald comes from some unknown guys. There's no game like it at the moment so people can't say "hey, I'll play this after X" or "I'll play this instead of X". It's doing well, but it's just in a different spot when it comes to get funding.
Yeah, we who were super-excited when the King's Bounty reboot happened a few years ago are probably about 1/50th in number compared to people who were excited when the Diablo franchise continued now, ha.

Seriously though any game that is even 50% like King's Bounty will instantly get my money. Except Heroes of Might & Magic, apparently. They can go to hell.

Daryl Surat posted:

Success or failure of a Kickstarter's funding hinges primarily, if not ENTIRELY, on whether or not mainstream games media sites like Kotaku/RPS/etc will link to you favorably.
Not that I disagree for current projects, but was this the case for Double Fine Adventures? Or is it the reason that gaming sites started covering Kickstarters?

I like to believe that the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter would have done decently well even without gaming news coverage, given how much money seemed to be raised just from threads on these and a few other big forums. But that is also a class of cult favorite game that has few peers.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Daryl Surat posted:

Success or failure of a Kickstarter's funding hinges primarily, if not ENTIRELY, on whether or not mainstream games media sites like Kotaku/RPS/etc will link to you favorably.

I disagree. Case in point. Tempus Chronicle (the episodic JRPG Facebook idea) was promoted favorably by Kotaku, and it failed spectacularly.

Mainstream media CAN help a Kickstarter, but it is not a guarantee.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

macnbc posted:

I disagree. Case in point. Tempus Chronicle (the episodic JRPG Facebook idea) was promoted favorably by Kotaku, and it failed spectacularly.

Mainstream media CAN help a Kickstarter, but it is not a guarantee.

That's because Tempus Chronicle was a loving awful idea.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Quarex posted:

Not that I disagree for current projects, but was this the case for Double Fine Adventures? Or is it the reason that gaming sites started covering Kickstarters?

I like to believe that the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter would have done decently well even without gaming news coverage, given how much money seemed to be raised just from threads on these and a few other big forums. But that is also a class of cult favorite game that has few peers.
Barring media coverage, big names attached to the projects helps a lot. Like Double Fine and Wasteland 2.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Quarex posted:

Not that I disagree for current projects, but was this the case for Double Fine Adventures?

Of course! The entire media went apeshit when Mr Schafer went into public to fund his next game. He was the first and everyone and their mother talked about it. If the media hadn't covered it it would have still succeeded but not to the degree it did. For good or worst it's the media that informs the public of new kickstarter projects since it obviously has a bigger reach than word to mouth.

Wasteland 2 was also in the same boat as DFA. Every time RPS mentioned it there was a bigger spike in funding. When Slashdot featured it there was a big spike in funding. And this is the big guns. The small projects that get no coverage die.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Grim Dawn
Grim Dawn
Grim Dawn

Why does nobody ever link this project? I always forget to look this project up when I get home...

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

fondue posted:

Grim Dawn
Grim Dawn
Grim Dawn

Why does nobody ever link this project? I always forget to look this project up when I get home...

Because it's already funded, in the OP, and there's even a thread about it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3479504

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Diamond Trust of London, a 2-player diamond-trading strategy game for Nintendo DS has 5 days to make ~$5000. Kind of doubt that they'll make it, given the niche appeal of such a game.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Darthemed posted:

Diamond Trust of London, a 2-player diamond-trading strategy game for Nintendo DS has 5 days to make ~$5000. Kind of doubt that they'll make it, given the niche appeal of such a game.

Whoa, they're that close? I really wish the game were just released for PC or something; it looks interesting to play but I don't know how many times I'd get someone to play DS local multiplayer these days.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
This is the worst thing I have ever seen

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The most beautiful part is that even after you buy a copy it's not F2P :allears:

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Darthemed posted:

They will absolutely make it. No kickstarter gets that close and fails, its part of the weird psychology of the supporters spending habits.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

BiggerJ posted:

Isn't the Watch getting a TV series? If Game of Thrones got a game...

Game of Thrones did get a game and it was AWFUL. There's an RPG that supposedly came out on the 15th, I haven't seen or heard anything about it though. It's the same crew that did Blood Bowl and the horrible game I just liked so it could go either way.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

The most beautiful part is that even after you buy a copy it's not F2P :allears:
Unless you pledge $500 or more, which means you need to anticipate playing it for more than eight years for that to be a good deal.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The Tex Murphy kickstarter doesn't look too good, according to Kliktraq's graphs. I'm not sure whether an end-spike can save the day.

Rhandhali posted:

Game of Thrones did get a game and it was AWFUL. There's an RPG that supposedly came out on the 15th, I haven't seen or heard anything about it though. It's the same crew that did Blood Bowl and the horrible game I just liked so it could go either way.

The one you know nothing about is the one I'm talking about. I know nothing about it either! TYPICAL INTERNET DISCUSSION.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 21, 2012

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

BiggerJ posted:

The one you know nothing about is the one I'm talking about. I know nothing about it either! TYPICAL INTERNET DISCUSSION.

Steam has a couple of trailers, and Atlus of Ogre Battle/Disgaea fame is involved somehow. They also managed to get the actors from the HBO show to voice Jorah Mormont and Varys, and the graphics looks kind of so so. That's all I've got.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Crosscontaminant posted:

Unless you pledge $500 or more, which means you need to anticipate playing it for more than eight years for that to be a good deal.
It's cute that they think people will remember them eight years from now. It's just like Your World.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

The Tex Murphy kickstarter doesn't look too good, according to Kliktraq's graphs. I'm not sure whether an end-spike can save the day.

Pretty sure it can. End-spikes for games that get big journo coverage are a lot crazier than the averages tracked by that site.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Just amazing, really it should go out to the hall of mockery, but at least they have some everquest like graphics, instead of Your World's hockerbot ideas.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I can't believe how loving long and terrible that backstory is.

e: i didn't even watch that video until now. hooooooooly poo poo

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

benzine posted:

Just amazing, really it should go out to the hall of mockery, but at least they have some everquest like graphics, instead of Your World's hockerbot ideas.

At least Your Hookerbot World doesn't presume to force you to pay for it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

You know... I've never minded scantily clad female characters in games, and I'll admit to playing a few just because of that, but there is no avoiding the "creepy" tag when you're developing a game and at some point you decided that was a "must have" while you're still developing the game.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
I still can't believe that unemployment rpg got 10,000 dollars.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Quodio Stotes posted:

I still can't believe that unemployment rpg got 10,000 dollars.

Probably his own money to encourage backers.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

At first, I was sure Time "Viking" Vincent was Bunky in a wig. Then Dennis "Father of Dark Elves" Healy and Gizmo "Team Jedi" Geek popped up. The high amount makes me believe this isn't a scam, so is it just three guys who decided "hey, let's make an MMO, we've played a bunch so it shouldn't be that hard" or something?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

benzine posted:

Probably his own money to encourage backers.

It's been mentioned before that this is forbidden and, unless the person who does it is clever enough, detectable.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Let's read what the game is about. Oh yeah, it's a wall of text, gently caress that noise. I'll just watch the video. Oh, it's terrible.

Seriously, how in god's name do some of these people come up with their goals and think "Yeah, people will totally want this", especially when what they're asking for is MORE than actually well-known projects such as Carmaggedeon.

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
BiggerJ, technically it is not forbidden by Kickstarter and is Very easy to hide. You just have to use a different credit card to pay yourself than you do to accept the money. It's mostly Amazon Payments that doesn't allow it as it would be a Cash Advance.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Eisenwald passed $75K today :dance:

They put up some confusingly worded mini-stretch goals, in case they don't make it to 100k (which honestly I don't think they will)

They also added this reward chart here.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

It's been mentioned before that this is forbidden and, unless the person who does it is clever enough, detectable.

If a mother can back his son, would it be impossible for a friend to "back" you?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Master_Odin posted:

Seriously, how in god's name do some of these people come up with their goals and think "Yeah, people will totally want this", especially when what they're asking for is MORE than actually well-known projects such as Carmaggedeon.
Was it in this thread or the Awful Kickstarters thread where I posted the designer's comment from the off-site video where he literally says (in different words) "this game is the only thing I have left in life?"

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

There's another possibly infamous Kickstarter practice I've heard about. It's definitely a real practice, but I don't know how infamous it is. Is there a stigma against Kickstarters for projects that will still go ahead if the Kickstarter fails? Appearantly, some people were somewhat unhappy with the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Kickstarter's announcement that the rereleases would still come out even though the fundingraising failed.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

BiggerJ posted:

You're right, the graphs doesn't look pretty. But that doesn't detract from the fact that in a week, the Kickstarter has been pledge half the required amount. And by now articles about it has started popping up, so who knows?

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

BiggerJ posted:

There's another possibly infamous Kickstarter practice I've heard about. It's definitely a real practice, but I don't know how infamous it is. Is there a stigma against Kickstarters for projects that will still go ahead if the Kickstarter fails? Appearantly, some people were somewhat unhappy with the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective Kickstarter's announcement that the rereleases would still come out even though the fundingraising failed.

I’m not sure how this would upset anyone who actually wanted the game. All that really means though is that he couldn't turn his idea into fully-funded game development. Instead he will work on it slowly over time and it could take 5 years or even a lifetime.

I could only see this as an issue if say someone was asking for 100k, but already had his own money he could use, but preferred not to. The argument would be, "Why should I give you money to make this game if you're just going to use your own funds?" I suppose one could argue you were pre-ordering it, but I doubt anyone would really want to do that on some unknown project.

I'm pretty sure this has never happened and in the case of the Sherlock Holmes guy, I got the impression it was more of a... "I don't have the money to do this outright, but I will work on it in my spare time with whatever money I can spare." This is completely different and should delight anyone who supported him and wants the game to get made.

Edit: I'm pretty sure a lot of the other projects have said this too. The Grim Dawn guy hinted that they would still work on it when they could (I think), but the scope would be toned way down and it would be funded by whatever funds could be scraped together.

Again, I don't see this as a negative, but just a reason to help get them the funds they need to make a good idea a great game.

tl;dr We're coming to the community for the funds to make our pet project/hobby/life-long goal a reality sooner and better than we could do on our own.

Dragonrah fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

Quarex posted:

Was it in this thread or the Awful Kickstarters thread where I posted the designer's comment from the off-site video where he literally says (in different words) "this game is the only thing I have left in life?"

It's also in his bio on his Kickstarter page:

quote:

I am not going to quit. This to be honest is all I
have left. So it's all I do. It's gotten tough but
here I am, still doing this, every single day,
without fail. We;re not going to stop, we just
came here for help.

Edit: Well, I just made the mistake of watching the video ...

PSI-5 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 21, 2012