Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

firehawk posted:

Toyota dark red ("C7P DK RED"), which I believe is the same as Scion's "firestorm". I quite seriously considered white, though.

Do you know when the first cars are going to hit the dealership? I went to one and they had no idea although they did have the brochure.

Also apparently evo prefered the handling of the toyota to the subaru, but still criticized it for power delivery. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two cars? All I could find out was that the toyota has stiffer rear springs.

Also the FT86 finished first in its class at the Nurburgring 24hrs, but to be fair its only competition was the veteran opel manta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Hog Obituary posted:

Are the Toyota and Subaru both going to use the same sources for paint? I know Toyota has their "toyota" colors and Subaru has their "subaru" colors, but are they all in fact going to be "subaru paint" quality?

I'm currently under the impression that with exception for Scion's, "Hot Lava" all paints on the cars are sourced from Subaru's repertoire of paints. I could be wrong with this, but here is an equivalency I've decided upon:

pre:
                Subaru   :   Scion 
World Rally Blue Pearl   :   ---
Satin White Pearl        :   Whiteout
Dark Grey Metallic       :   Asphalt
Sterling Silver Metallic :   Argento
Galaxy Blue Silica       :   Ultramarine
Crystal Black Silica     :   Raven
Lightning Red            :   Firestorm
---                      :   Hot Lava
All things considered, I'm not holding high hopes for durability of the paint finish.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
All paint is sourced from a third party anyway.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hello Spaceman posted:

Yes, this happens. The casting residue and other crap needs to burn off.

My bedding-in procedure goes like this:
Fit brakes.
Drive normally for about 200 miles - traffic, etc.
Find a long, desolate stretch of road and do ten hard stops (not to a standstill) from 70mph.
At about the 6th stop you'll start getting a lot of fade, smoke, and a horrible smell. That's the casting residue burning off.
At about the 9th stop you get a little feeling back in the pedal.
Drive home slowly and let the brakes cool very well before coming to a complete stop.
Congratulations your brakes are now bedded in.

I've done this on three cars and it's served me well. It should, because the guy who gave me the advice makes brake systems for a living.

Why Subaru wants 1000 miles of gentle nannying is beyond me.

Because all of what you posted is well beyond the abilities of the general motoring public.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Because all of what you posted is well beyond the abilities of the general motoring public.

General motoring public, sure. Future FRS/86/BRZ owners, though?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Hello Spaceman posted:

You mean aspiring drifters and old dudes who want a hardtop Miata?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Hello Spaceman posted:

Why do people think some special brand of drivers are going to be the predominant buyers of these? The general motoring public that never autocross or go to track days are going to be the lions share of buyers, just like every other car.

firehawk
May 23, 2005

Oookkeeee!

Idiot race posted:

Do you know when the first cars are going to hit the dealership? I went to one and they had no idea although they did have the brochure.
The salesman at my local dealership here in Finland wasn't quite sure, but he assumed that they'd be getting their showroom cars along with the first customer deliveries in August.

mattmofob
May 2, 2005

DUCK
I think the brz will be a slow seller after the initial rush.
People are afraid of rear wheel drive, a wrx is cheaper, faster, and more practical.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They've got some balls to still call it World Rally Blue Pearl.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Rear wheel drive rally is where its at. They should enter the car in actual rally competition. I've been threatening to do a rally rotary car for a while now. Ill be sure to post a thread when i do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9sP4lRkCBY

(If you dont finish its pretty amazing, they keep up with and occasionally overtake 4wd cars in the standings, so its not as much of a joke as you think)

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 22, 2012

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

InitialDave posted:

They've got some balls to still call it World Rally Blue Pearl.
Because non-AWD cars are not rally cars?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Nitrox posted:

He probably means this: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/16/officially-official-subaru-leaving-world-rally-championship/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's still the same color.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just rename it to "We Rallied Blue"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nitrox posted:

Yes.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BraveUlysses posted:

Just rename it to "We Rallied Blue"

"We remember blue"

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Just finished track day with the BRZ her in New Orleans. It's very stable at high speeds in the corners. I could feel the rear end start to go around on a high speed sweeper, and it handled my clumsy correction without complaint.

Also, Dave Mirra beat everyone's time on the autocross track in by over a second.

Finally, I saw the other blue that isn't the Rally Blue side by side. My wife like it better.

DerDestroyer
Jun 27, 2006

daslog posted:

Just finished track day with the BRZ her in New Orleans. It's very stable at high speeds in the corners. I could feel the rear end start to go around on a high speed sweeper, and it handled my clumsy correction without complaint.

Also, Dave Mirra beat everyone's time on the autocross track in by over a second.

Finally, I saw the other blue that isn't the Rally Blue side by side. My wife like it better.

What I'd really like to see is how well it handles in the wintertime.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

DerDestroyer posted:

What I'd really like to see is how well it handles in the wintertime.

Like any RWD sports car with an LSD, I'm sure it's fun as heck.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

Rear wheel drive rally is where its at. They should enter the car in actual rally competition.

They already have:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdgT31sxAvw

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The thing that's really impressive about this car is how many people I've talked to (in Canada) that have never driven an RWD car in their lives. They think all RWDs are some kind of Porsche 911 magical beast whose oversteer can't be tamed. My grandpa daily-drove a Galaxie 500 just fine in Ontario winters and it's not like tire technology has gotten worse.

Modifying your line with the throttle is going to be a shocker for a lot of people, I look forward to seeing them turn out for autocross/rallycross/trackdays and learn why RWD is in fact so popular in racing. I worry myself that driving a lot of AWD/FWD cars is making me sloppy.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Lightbulb Out posted:

Like any RWD sports car with an LSD, I'm sure it's fun as heck.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Modifying your line with the throttle

I say this everytime the subject comes up, but these are the two reasons why I'm never buying FWD again. They lie to you in driver's ed; you have way more control in the snow with rear-driven wheels than front. The only benefit of having front-driven wheels in the winter is being able to accelerate faster because of the weight of the engine, which is debatable anyway if your RWD car has snow tires.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My drivers' ed told me that there was no reason to have a car without power steering and that power steering and ABS were essential for safe driving.

Then again, it also told me that threshold braking was an advanced driving technique and that only race car drivers need to revmatch downshift.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Subaru still runs in PWRC. Group N is the coolest spec, anyway, since they're realy close to actual production cars. Of course, their only competition is the Evo, but that's because nobody else in the WRC actually makes a suitable production AWD car available to the public. And they do pretty well because of the boxer engine since in Group N you need to keep the engine in roughly the same place as in the production car and you can't just drop and push it into some weird angle like you can in less restricted formats.

Rally Argentina PWRC Rd. 3, May 8, 2012

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 23, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My drivers' ed told me that there was no reason to have a car without power steering and that power steering and ABS were essential for safe driving.

Then again, it also told me that threshold braking was an advanced driving technique and that only race car drivers need to revmatch downshift.

Driver's Ed is for teaching people who are completely disinterested in driving how to drive competently, not your average AI poster.

Consider all the things you have posted from the point of view of, I don't know, your mom? and then they don't quite seem so ridiculous.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

mattmofob posted:

I think the brz will be a slow seller after the initial rush.
People are afraid of rear wheel drive, a wrx is cheaper, faster, and more practical.

I miss the automatic WRX, else I'd go that route.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Mom drives a '90s F150 standard cab with manual everything. :colbert:

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Remember he's teaching idiots all day who would rather tweet on facebook and dance to music than notice what their car is doing as they operate it. If you know what either of these things are you're only a location change and a set of timing equipment away from being a "race car driver".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
They did actually teach us threshold braking (in case we're in a car without ABS - a common option that was stripped from poverty-spec cars in Canada throughout the 90s and early 00s as it wasn't legally mandated here until recently) but they only briefly covered it.

But yeah, I didn't exactly go to drivers' ed in high school expecting to be a race car driver. I wanted the cheaper insurance, and getting to meet the people who were in it to remove demerits from their license was an added bonus of "what not to do" (get a DUI suspension after flipping your car into a drainage culvert going 40 under on the highway).

My point that there are a lot of people under 30 who have never driven an RWD stands. :)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 23, 2012

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Im kind of lucky in that my family as I grew up predominantly owned RWD cars. the only I know of that arent were my dads mazda 626 turbo (FWD) which we sold before I was old enough to drive, my mothers liberty that I learned to drive on, and dads Liberty GT and mums new outback.

Dad got my started on the right foot by owning a 300ZX TT and proving that japanese RWD turbo cars are awesome. he also had an R30 skyline hatch that was a bunch of fun despite being super old.

I will go to AWD, but never FWD.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I can sit here and talk about how I much prefer RWD/AWD etc but frankly on my 19 mile commute consisting of entirely highway driving plus a few blocks of in-town on either end it really makes very little difference.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I can sit here and talk about how I much prefer RWD/AWD etc but frankly on my 19 mile commute consisting of entirely highway driving plus a few blocks of in-town on either end it really makes very little difference.

It's the times in between that matter!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah but you could say that about anything sportier than a Toyota Prius (not that there's anything wrong with that).

If nothing else, RWD tends to have better proportions.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So they drilled us a ton of information about the BRZ. Did anyone have any questions?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah but you could say that about anything sportier than a Toyota Prius (not that there's anything wrong with that).

If nothing else, RWD tends to have better proportions.

True, but I think as enthusiasts we tend to wax a bit too poetic about how much better AWD and RWD are.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

True, but I think as enthusiasts we tend to wax a bit too poetic about how much better AWD and RWD are.

I'd say its more a product of the main points of Front wheel drive being Production efficiency, cabin space and safety, none of which are seen as priorities in a sports car. (Unless you're one of these "I want to have it all!" types)

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe

They did actually teach us threshold braking (in case we're in a car without ABS - a common option that was stripped from poverty-spec cars in Canada throughout the 90s and early 00s as it wasn't legally mandated here until recently) but they only briefly covered it.

But yeah, I didn't exactly go to drivers' ed in high school expecting to be a race car driver. I wanted the cheaper insurance, and getting to meet the people who were in it to remove demerits from their license was an added bonus of "what not to do" (get a DUI suspension after flipping your car into a drainage culvert going 40 under on the highway).

My point that there are a lot of people under 30 who have never driven an RWD stands. :)

Where are you in Canada that ABS is mandated? There are still cars that could have been recently (cobalt) had without ABS (if ever you didn't want it). Canada pretty much toes the line with the US when it comes to mandated safety equipment. There are a few exceptions, like TPMS and automatic seat belts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, upon further inspection it doesn't appear that ABS is actually mandated, though I obviously thought it was for some reason. We kept a lot of cars that had automatic seatbelts from entering as well (B13 SE-R).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorch
Nov 28, 2006

daslog posted:

So they drilled us a ton of information about the BRZ. Did anyone have any questions?

Did they give you a lot of information about distribution to dealerships? If I ask my dealer (who was at the event) where my car is, will I have a better answer than "we don't know"? (I've been assigned a VIN and have been told by SoA that it will be there by the end of June, probably going to be coming in between May 29 and June 5 per other people in the region)

Also, when is the event over?

• Locked thread